Thread: Farmers Markets

Default Farmers Markets

For those of us in the U.S. there has been a great increase in local farmers markets in the past decade (thankfully). I would be very interested in the availability of farmers markets to other forum members.

I live along the south coast of Connecticut and we have a relatively short growing season so we need to buy in bulk if we want to freeze or can for the winter. I'm on my way to the local market now and will post later about what we have available.

Please post what's available in your area!

Default Re: Farmers Markets

I recently travelled to Kelowna, in the interior of B.C. This area, is a big fruit growing area, and during the summer months, lots of farmers set up roadside fruit stalls - some of the stalls are actually quite big. You can buy all sorts of fruits and veggies, but the most popular seem to be peaches, plums, cherries, apricots, little golden plums and apples. The also sell the best locally made fruit jams

I love my local Farmer's Market here in Santa Monica! It's the only place where I can find really tasty ingredients if I want to cook something delicious for a dinner party... Their fruit is also amazing most of the time.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Is it year round or only in the summer months?

Year round...it's sunny California!

I went to a different local market a few weeks ago and they had pony rides (the kind where the horse goes in a small circle - all day long!) I saw one lonely vegan with a big sign discouraging parents from letting let their kids ride. It's hard to belive, but behind him stood three police officers monitoring his every move! What has this world come to? Crazy stuff, huh.

I showed him my support, signed the petition, and won't go back unless they remove the pony rides.

I guess I just gave a little different picture of 'sunny California'...

I'm so jealous of both of you! We don't get much of an assortment here in Connecticut. Today I purchased heirloom tomatoes (they've become big business in recent years), cucumbers, zuccini, corn, arugula, plums and peaches. Blueberries are in season but I went to a pick-your-own last week and froze a bunch.

There was a lot of swiss chard, kale and green beans but luckily my container garden is giving me enough of those.

We are thinking of moving to Oregon next year and one of the high points is definitely the April to November farmers market (three times a week instead of the once a week here). Okay, another high point is the proximity to Vancouver.

How are the prices where you are at? I am astonished to have paid $1 for a single head of garlic. Tomatoes were $3 to $4 a pound. At least these were all organic.

Gwah, my area is a veritible cornucopia of farmers markets. I live down the street from a big plaza called 'Market Square' where local farmers can set up a stand of all their stuff. There's meat sellers too *yuck* but otherwise, tons of veggies! And there's a regular store already IN the Market as a permanant feature that sells Vegetarian/Vegan products! Nice are to live around, I dont' have to walk very far to do my shopping. :3

Now I'm REALLY jealous.

$1 for a head of garlic? I bought a huge bag of garlic at Costco a few weeks ago for something like $6. It probably had at least 30 heads of garlic in it. I've been sharing it with my neighbors.
    In Seattle we have tons of farmers markets that just pop up on corners and stuff. In eastern WA, we are famous for apples and walla walla sweet onions so those are readily available and cheap.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Where I live there's a small market each week where people sell food, plants, junk jewelry, etc. I go there to buy coriander from the grower, plus a few other home grown items, but as for garlic, it seems that nobody can compete with the cheap, tasteless, Chinese garlic on sale everywhere. However, recently I found someone who sold home grown garlic that was superb. He finds it difficult to sell a bulb for $2 when the chinese ones are a little net bag of garlics for a similar amount. What I bought, I took three of the cloves and planted them in a pot, and hopefully it will be successful.
    Eve

The farmers markets in my area of UK are pretty awful. They mostly sell meat, and the vegetables are very expensive and not necessarily organic.

We grow a lot of our own produce in the garden (including huge cloves of garlic!) and for fruit I have been visiting local farms who sell their own apples and plums.

FR

We have a few around here in Indianapolis. One in particular is all organic. it does include farmers who are in the transition stage to becoming organic (as I believe you have to have organic soil for almost 3 years before being certified).

I love supporting the farmers who grow organic foods directly. And, the veggies are cheap, and taste so good and fresh.

The Farmers Market in Frome, Somerset where I live do sell some meat stuff but very small amount on another note they have small go it alone producers who sale the following their.

Vegan Cakes & Wheat Free Cakes
    Vegan Wine & Cider
    Vegan Crisps - Hand Made
    Tofu - Local Made
    Vegan Biscuits
    Very good veg at good prices
    Vegan Chocs
    Loads of variety of Olives and sundried toms
    Breads all varietys except one is vegan
    Organic naturally grown mushrooms 100% vegan friendly
    Pure extracted juices

I like our local farmers markets, just wish the meat was not their but I always support the people selling vegan stuff, and the best thing about these markets you can ask questions about the products and get answers from the people who make it or produce it.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

here in Brighton we have an almost veggie farmers' market. they are allowed to sell fish but no meat. they also sell quite a lot of cheese unfortunately. it's a good sized market with lots of local produce, but it's only held once a month. this is obviously nowhere near often enough to buy all your groceries. we really need a weekly one. it's not easy to get local produce here
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

You are lucky Snaff. Last time I went to a Farmers Market here there were huge lumps of 'bloody' lamb and beef, lots of 'tasty' sausages and bacon, a couple of apple shops who also sold cider, a bakers (no vegan bread) , lots of different cheeses and some lavender soap!

I do, however visit a nice man in a local market who sells olives, sundried tomatoes and such delicious stuff.

I don't tend to eat alot of veggies. I can name the veggies I eat on two hands.

Potatoes
    Mushrooms
    Corn
    Peas
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Lettuce
    Tomatoes (only as sauce)

I don't really eat anything else in terms of veggies. When I go to the farmers market I buy a LOT of fruit though.

Bananas
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Grapes
    Peaches
    Apples
    Pears
    Watermelon
    Blueberries (products, I like them baked in as opposed to on their own)
    Etc etc etc, lots of stuff.

Heh, you can see where I get my vitamins from.
    ~"Stay calm and quiet now, my pretty little one, don't struggle like that, or I will only love you more," Lullabye, The Cure