Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Non-dairy creamer"

Thumbs down "Non-dairy creamer"

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is the case everywhere, but from what I've seen, non-dairy creamer is NOT vegan! It always seems to contain a "milk derivative" or some other animal product! Before I was aware of this (and before I totally eliminated dairy from my diet), I tried it and thought it was a great substitute for "half-and-half".

I have tried the Silk soy creamer, but unfortunately I usually find soy milk to be "chalky" and not very tasty (unless it is flavored with something -- like chocolate -- but I don't think the flavored ones are creamy enough for coffee/tea!).

I found a vegan creamer on www.veganessentials.com (it's called "Vegan Instant Creamer"), but I haven't ordered it yet...before doing so, I would love to hear from some people on the forum who have experience with this or any other vegan creamers out there.

Default Re: "Non-dairy creamer"

Never trust labeling. "Non-dairy" unfortunately, for the less educated, omnivorous crowd, does not mean "vegan," nor anything at all, as you have discovered.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

I know, Artichoke, isn't it crazy? Who do you suppose they make this stuff for, anyway? People with allergies, or something? I don't know much about milk allergies, but if one is allergic to milk, wouldn't they be allergic to things in close relation to milk/dairy?

In my coffee each morning, I use the Silk brand of non-dairy creamer. I really like it. Each to their own I guess.

The creamer you are talking about from Vegan Essentials - is it the powdered stuff in the small sachets? I bought some, because I thought it would be useful when travelling, and I took a whole lot with me when I went to Australia earlier this year.

I didn't really like it. It kind of stays in "powdered" form in your coffee, no matter how much stirring you seem to do. Plus I like my coffee kind of milky, so I had to use about 3 sachets per cup. I guess it's OK for travelling, if there are no other vegan options available (and if you don't like your coffee black), but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

The creamer you are talking about from Vegan Essentials - is it the powdered stuff in the small sachets?
    Yup, that's the one.

I didn't really like it. It kind of stays in "powdered" form in your coffee, no matter how much stirring you seem to do. Plus I like my coffee kind of milky, so I had to use about 3 sachets per cup. I guess it's OK for travelling, if there are no other vegan options available (and if you don't like your coffee black), but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

That's too bad! I suppose I could still order some and try it, but from what you said, I'm not so inclined to.

Grr...what will I do?!

You should order it and try it. After all, I like the Silk creamer and you don't - so maybe we just have different tastes.

From memory - it's not all that expensive - so it's probably worth giving it a go.

Good point...but what you said about it staying sort of powdery even after stirring it really isn't appetizing.... What was it like exactly -- were there little bits of powder floating around, or what?

And yes, you're right about the cost -- it is indeed inexpensive.

Yes - there were little bits of powder floating around in it.

If you like, I could send you a few samples of the ones that I have - so you can try before you buy

Let me know and we can sort the rest out via Private Message.

Thanks Roxy, but I think I'll steer clear of it (or at least that particular brand)...bits of powder floating around in my coffee is just not what I want!!

OK no problem The offer remains open if you change your mind.

Maybe someone else has a different suggestion.

i use Taam-Tov non-dairy creamer from www.veganstore.co.uk it's a powdered coffee creamer and it dissolves pretty well with just a slight film on the top occasionally. i like the taste and the texture is smooth enough. i don't know if it's the same stuff as the sachets you're talking about, but i'd recommend it. the only trouble is, it comes in a really big tub, so if you don't like it you're stuck with it
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

hey gorilla,

i've got the same creamer from veganstore. I was just wondering if you knew how long it lasted once opened? i've had mine a couple of months and it still smells okay!
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

Quote Gorilla
    i use Taam-Tov non-dairy creamer from www.veganstore.co.uk it's a powdered coffee creamer and it dissolves pretty well with just a slight film on the top occasionally. i like the taste and the texture is smooth enough. i don't know if it's the same stuff as the sachets you're talking about, but i'd recommend it. the only trouble is, it comes in a really big tub, so if you don't like it you're stuck with it
    Hi Gorilla,
    The creamer on veganessentials.com is the same brand, Taam-Tov. On there, it is available in the GIANT tub (haha) and also the sachets.

How long have you been without dairy?

Ive found my tastes have changed and things I once thought wernt such good imitations of the "real" thing are great.

give it some time, maybe youll like the silk. my husband and mom now think its the best.

Wink Re: "Non-dairy creamer"

I've been weaned and on solid foods for a while. If I want some animal milk taste, I'll see what my mom (another human) can come up with.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Quote lolamako
    How long have you been without dairy?

Ive found my tastes have changed and things I once thought wernt such good imitations of the "real" thing are great.

give it some time, maybe youll like the silk. my husband and mom now think its the best.
    I've only been "off dairy" for a little over a month! I've been a vegetarian for 8 years, but the vegan thing is new to me. I used to eat a ton of dairy products, but these days, the mere thought of it is revolting! I cannot believe I used to think it was okay to consume such things.

I really wish I could find a good vegan coffee creamer, because black coffee just doesn't appeal to me.

Oh, and Artichoke -- my boyfriend also likes to bring up the point to people that humans are the only species who continue to drink milk after being weaned. It really is something, isn't it.

Quote Monkey Wild
    I've only been "off dairy" for a little over a month! I've been a vegetarian for 8 years, but the vegan thing is new to me. I used to eat a ton of dairy products, but these days, the mere thought of it is revolting! I cannot believe I used to think it was okay to consume such things.

I really wish I could find a good vegan coffee creamer, because black coffee just doesn't appeal to me.

Oh, and Artichoke -- my boyfriend also likes to bring up the point to people that humans are the only species who continue to drink milk after being weaned. It really is something, isn't it.
    I've only been off all dairy for about that, I switched to soy milk a bit before I cut all cheese out. I feel the same about dairy as you, now, though.

I've heard that rice milk works well in coffee. Not tried it myself.

Perhaps I'll look into the rice milk.

Believe it or not, I've even tried putting coconut milk in my coffee! I love coconut milk, but it just didn't seem to do what cream does for coffee.

A little off topic, since I don't use creamers anyway, but you mentioned a couple of vegan stores in this thread. Do these vegan stores take paypal or money order payments? I'd love to shop for certain vegan foods, in bulk online, but I've been warned by my social worker not to sell anything for profit with paypal, or to make any withdrawls from paypal cause it shows up on my bank statements and the government wouldn't like that. So if I put money up on paypal, I have to KNOW I'm going to buy something with it well in advance. I'd like some stores to read from, figure out what is plausible, and maybe I can buy stuff with money order. I can't get a credit card. I'm lucky I have a vegetarian shop near me, not as much vegan as vegetarian, but I get my tofu there, MORI-NU in the cardboard long shelf life packaging! (its the ONLY place I can get mori-nu in my entire town. And its ONLY silken extra-firm tofu, no other type. Sad eh?)

Lee
    ~"Stay calm and quiet now, my pretty little one, don't struggle like that, or I will only love you more," Lullabye, The Cure

Quote Artichoke47
    I've been weaned and on solid foods for a while. If I want some animal milk taste, I'll see what my mom (another human) can come up with.

I really like Silk Soycreamer, and all my omni friends and my high blood pressue/cholesterol obese father buys it too. I don't think it is watery or chalky at all, infact, it really doesn't taste a bit like soymilk. they have a vanilla and hazelnut flavor too. maybe you need to use more? or shake it so it's really foamy?

Soymilk is a bit watery in coffee, IMO. But sometimes I use it because it has less fat and extra vitamins.

Have you tried almond milk?

Maybe black coffee with a bit of spice - cinammin, nutmeg, cocoa, a flavor shot? Sugar? you can buy flavor shots at a lot of grocery and specialty stores just like the ones used in coffee houses.

You could also do half hot cocoa, half coffee.

Urbandryad,

I am not sure what arrangements for pay you can make with vegan essentials. Here is the contact info. Somtimes you can pay online with a check.

1-866-88-VEGAN

questions@veganessentials.com

Here is another online store

http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/info.html

They do not take checks/money orders.

BUT, both stores sell gift certificates. Maybe you can get a friend to order a gift certificate and you can pay them back for it with cash and use the gift certificate to order online? Sounds like a plan to me!

Also, I am not sure of your situation, but can you get a Visa Buxx card? They are like a credit card, but you charge them up with money. You can buy them online, at banks and some malls. http://www.visabuxx.com/ It is kinda marketed towards teens, but anyone can use them after all. It is a good way to control spending!

Quote Monkey Wild
    Perhaps I'll look into the rice milk.

Believe it or not, I've even tried putting coconut milk in my coffee! I love coconut milk, but it just didn't seem to do what cream does for coffee.
    I think rice milk taste kind of like non-fat milk, makes your coffe grey and tasteless. I used Coffee Mate before going vegan, and I thought Silk was horrible at first. I even thought about quitting coffee alltogether because I could not find any good creamer. But you know what, I got used to Silk and it's in my coffe everyday now...Give it some time.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

experimentation is the key in my experience. some people like rice milk in coffee, i personally don't. i don't mind soya milk in coffee, but i prefer the powdered creamer. you just need to keep trying different things and you'll probably find something to your taste.

Sophia, my tubs of coffee creamer last me a few months, and i don't think you need to worry about it going off.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thanks for your replies, everyone!!

I bought some rice milk yesterday, tried it and did not care for it. I also bought the Silk creamer again (vanilla this time) because I thought I ought to give it another try. It was okay at first, but it still seemed chalky to me. I tried to keep drinking the coffee with it in, but it really just didn't get any tastier for me.

Wildflower, I like your suggestions about "spicing up" black coffee. I think I should try that. I am beginning to feel like I just want to stay away from milk substitutes altogether, because it's getting frustrating and I don't really miss it besides in coffee. And, I can live without coffee if I have to -- I've been doing it for over a month. I just happen to miss it a bit!

Gorilla and Roxy, can you describe the taste of the Taam-Tov creamer?

Not really lol - but it's kind of like a weak, powdery milk. It's not something I could drink on a daily basis - but it's ok for emergencies when travelling.

Quote Monkey Wild
    Wildflower, I like your suggestions about "spicing up" black coffee. I think I should try that. I am beginning to feel like I just want to stay away from milk substitutes altogether, because it's getting frustrating and I don't really miss it besides in coffee. And, I can live without coffee if I have to -- I've been doing it for over a month. I just happen to miss it a bit!
    Let us know if you come up with any great recipes! I just drink boring fair trade coffee with lots of creamer.

I did have something wonderful from the coffee stand at work, it was an english toffee latte (w/soymilk of course) they used chocolate syrup and a toffee flavor shot! I am not much for sweet/flavored coffee but I was addicted to those for a few days...only a few days, even with my refillable mug it was like $4 usd.

I was addicted to Almond Fudge Cocoa's from a diffferent store for a long time. Ahhhlaska Cocoa, almond flavor shot, fudge flavor shot and steamed soy milk. MMMMMMMMMM!

Quote Roxy
    Not really lol - but it's kind of like a weak, powdery milk. It's not something I could drink on a daily basis - but it's ok for emergencies when travelling.
    Thanks Roxy.
    LOL at "but it's okay for emergencies"

Quote Wildflower
    Let us know if you come up with any great recipes!
    If I do, I will of course share the recipe!

Quote Roxy
    it's kind of like a weak, powdery milk. It's not something I could drink on a daily basis - but it's ok for emergencies when travelling.
    i actually like the taste, and use it every time i make my own coffee, which is nearly every day. i suppose it is a bit weak but i think it's quite sweet as well.

Okay, thanks Gorilla.

LOL - each to their own

Thumbs up Silk hazelnut creamer

* UPDATE *

Dear Friends,

I have given it yet another chance, and I am happy to say that I have finally acquired a taste for the Silk soy creamer!! I find the hazelnut flavored one to be the best, especially when I add some cinnamon!!!

Yum, yum, yay!

Default Coffee whitener?

is there a vegan coffee whitener, I've tried rice milk and soya milk in my coffee and it's disgusting so I've just been having it black. I was wondering if anyone knows of a whitener on the market that is vegan? Powder preferably so I can take it to work/uni with me.

Default Re: Coffee whitener?

There's lots of different types of soya milk, and it also depends on what type of coffee you have and how you prepare it. Personally I find latte made with apple sweetened soya milk quite pleasent, but instant coffee with soya milk splashed in vile. It's partly a matter of experimenting. I can't imagine UHT/powder ever being a substitute for coffee lovers, I'd rather drink it black.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Coffee whitener?

Quote Hemlock
    is there a vegan coffee whitener, I've tried rice milk and soya milk in my coffee and it's disgusting so I've just been having it black. I was wondering if anyone knows of a whitener on the market that is vegan? Powder preferably so I can take it to work/uni with me.
    as i mentioned earlier in this thread, Veganstore do a powdered coffee creamer which i use quite a lot. it's not to everyone's taste but i personally find it very useful as i can put it in small boxes and carry it around with me.

I like oat "milk" and so does my husband who is meat eater

I believe that "Mocha Mix" non-dairy creamer is vegan. I recently spoke with the manufacturer and we went through the ingredients list and nothing was animal derived. You can get it at most supermarkets.

I love it! I use it in my coffee...it tastes a lot like regular cream. I've even heard that you can add it to mashed potatoes...haven't tried that yet though.

sugarmouse

Default none diary creamer for coffee

does it exist in the uk?sorry if its on here already i cant find it!

yeah i remembered we had some "non-dairy creamer" waaaay back in the cupboard that we haven't used in ages...so i pulled it out and sure enough it says

"contains milk"
    with a big "non-dairy" plastered across the front
    wtf? nice labeling
    Viva Vegan!

Default Re: none diary creamer for coffee

Quote sugarmouse
    does it exist in the uk?sorry if its on here already i cant find it!
    sugarmouse, check out Veganstore

Vegan_baby

Question Re: "Non-dairy creamer"

Can you help me ?

I'm looking for a Vegan Coffee Creamer (has to be powder form) that is 100% true Vegan.

I found this one but they refuse to ship to Canada :
    http://www.bestlifeint.com/products-coffee-creamer.html

Many thanks !!!!

Have you tried jewish stores? here's a kosher non-dairy creamer on Amazon.com that seems vegan. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you're looking for but I only did a quick search...

Vegan_baby

Thanks for the help !! That one is shipped only to U.S.A and has trans fat.

Quote Monkey Wild View Post

I found a vegan creamer on www.veganessentials.com (it's called "Vegan Instant Creamer"), but I haven't ordered it yet...before doing so, I would love to hear from some people on the forum who have experience with this or any other vegan creamers out there.
    [/color][/font]
    Veganbaby, Vegan Essentials will ship this creamer to Canada. However, I don't recommend it, unless you need it for emergencies during travelling etc. It's not very nice.

Vegan_baby

Hi I could'nt find it on their site. Thanks alot

Quote Vegan_baby View Post
    Thanks for the help !! That one is shipped only to U.S.A and has trans fat.

Well, it was only a quick suggestion for a possible source you may not have considered - if you can find a store with Kosher products that is in Canada or ships to it you might have some luck.

Are you specifically looking for something in powder form? If you can get Soyatoo or some kind of similar cream substitute I've usually found those to be nice in coffee.

Quote Vegan_baby View Post
    Hi I could'nt find it on their site. Thanks alot
    LOL Maybe they don't carry it anymore because it WAS so awful!!

Vegan_baby

LOL, yeah maybe

Vegan_baby

Quote twinkle View Post
    Are you specifically looking for something in powder form? If you can get Soyatoo or some kind of similar cream substitute I've usually found those to be nice in coffee.
    Yes, like I mentioned, it has to be powder. Thanks again