Thread: Amy's only has -ONE- vegan pizza?

Unhappy Amy's only has -ONE- vegan pizza?

I discovered something I don't like. The so called Soy Pizzas from Amy's are NOT vegan. Repeat NOT vegan. They contain milk protein, AND soy protein. (WTF? Why put milk protein AND soy protein in a SOY based product anyways? Grrr )

So glad I didn't like the amy's Soy-cheese pizza anyway, since it isn't VEGAN anyway! Why make it with SOY CHEESE if its not intended for vegans? *sigh*

Guess they're just too smart for a newbie vegan like me. I want soy cheese pizza thats vegan! Amy's is the -only- option in my town. This sucks. ;__;
    ~"Stay calm and quiet now, my pretty little one, don't struggle like that, or I will only love you more," Lullabye, The Cure

Default Re: Amy's only has -ONE- vegan pizza?

OOOhhh, I know!!! Amy's has got such great taste'n vegan foods, and then this soy cheese thing. I probably looked like a real weirdo in the grocery store, because after I read the ingredients, I just stood there for a while kinda shocked. I mean, why in the world would someone make a soy pizza, make a big deal out of it by printing "SOY CHEESE" in big letters on the box, but then mix in cow's milk???!!! I was SO disappointed because I love Amy's vegan stuff.

BTW, the vegan pizza Amy's does have imo is VERY good. It's ugly looking and doesn't have any soy cheese on it, but it's good.

The only problem with the vegan pizza, is it has roasted onions. I can't have onions. I have a severe intolerance to them, and leeks and garlic and scallions. The onion family basically. ^^ They make me ill. It might be an allergy, I don't know, cause trace amounts don't make me sick, only larger amounts. ^^

Ah well. I could try getting takeout pizza, but then the takeout pizza would have been made amongst non-vegan pizzas...Do I want to be that strict? Hmmm.

Or I could learn how to make vegan pizza? *ish scared*
    ~"Stay calm and quiet now, my pretty little one, don't struggle like that, or I will only love you more," Lullabye, The Cure

I'm so sorry you can't have onions! I LOVE onions.

I want to learn how to make vegan pizzas!! I'm off to search our recipe section .....

Talking Re: Amy's only has -ONE- vegan pizza?

one of my favorite things to make!!

i like to put a vegan pesto and artichokes and broccoli, and whatever i feel like really!

all my non-vegan friends love my pizzas!!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

the one vegan pizza that amys does make is pretty darn good thou!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote urbandryad
    I discovered something I don't like. The so called Soy Pizzas from Amy's are NOT vegan. Repeat NOT vegan. They contain milk protein, AND soy protein. (WTF? Why put milk protein AND soy protein in a SOY based product anyways? Grrr )

So glad I didn't like the amy's Soy-cheese pizza anyway, since it isn't VEGAN anyway! Why make it with SOY CHEESE if its not intended for vegans? *sigh*

Guess they're just too smart for a newbie vegan like me. I want soy cheese pizza thats vegan! Amy's is the -only- option in my town. This sucks. ;__;
    I have no idea why they have to put milk products in soy cheeses, it sucks! I purchased Amy's soy cheese pizza once only to discover later it wasn't vegan. I made it for my husband and he was happy, but I was furious!

Be also aware of Trader Joe's soy cheese, it's NOT vegan either.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

FR

I never tried the Amy's vegan pizza because it has mushrooms on it. I loath mushrooms.

even portabella???!!!??!!?!
    -henry miller

FR

Quote jjdaiquiri
    even portabella???!!!??!!?!
    Yup, even them.

When I want vegan pizza I do this:

-Call the local pizzeria.
    -Ask them if their dough has whey in it or not.
    -Tell them no cheese whatsoever, but lots of <insert fave veggies here>.
    (I prefer tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, onions, or peppers...pesto if there's no parmesan in it... on a sicilian crust)
    -Then, you can even add your own vegan pepperoni slices when it gets home!

This probably costs less than an Amy's frozen pizza, especially if you order a small. (I bought the vegan Amys pizza at a healthfood store once, and it was 7 or 8 bucks!)

Plus, when you order it from a pizzeria, it's fresh and has what you want on it. You could always freeze it and heat it up as you would with store-bought frozen pizzas.

I learned the other day on a cooking show that "Portobello/Portobella" is just a marketing term for "overgrown Crimini".

Yes, I'm sorry too that onions make you ill. I too, really enjoy the Amy's cheeseless pizza and if you could eat onions I'm sure you'd really enjoy it too.

For anyone else who can eat the Amy's cheeseless pizza though, here's a little tip, that I just made up a week or so ago, to add some "pizzaz" to the pizza.

For the last 5 minutes of cooking, I add some chopped Yves "chicken" tenders, and some soy cheese. Mmmmmm vegan chicken pizza

cross barer

Quote thecatspajamas1
    When I want vegan pizza I do this:

-Call the local pizzeria.
    -Ask them if their dough has whey in it or not.
    -Tell them no cheese whatsoever, but lots of <insert fave veggies here>.
    (I prefer tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, onions, or peppers...pesto if there's no parmesan in it... on a sicilian crust)
    -Then, you can even add your own vegan pepperoni slices when it gets home!

This probably costs less than an Amy's frozen pizza, especially if you order a small. (I bought the vegan Amys pizza at a healthfood store once, and it was 7 or 8 bucks!)

Plus, when you order it from a pizzeria, it's fresh and has what you want on it. You could always freeze it and heat it up as you would with store-bought frozen pizzas.
    Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as a chef I know that it is rare that a decent tomato based sauce is made without wine and probably rarer that it is made with vegan wine so if you want to be pedantic about it I would ask if they used wine in the sauce too!

Quote adam antichrist
    Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as a chef I know that it is rare that a decent tomato based sauce is made without wine and probably rarer that it is made with vegan wine so if you want to be pedantic about it I would ask if they used wine in the sauce too!
    Wow - I didn't know that!!

cross barer

Yeah it's a tricky one. Basically means most italian is off the menu, doesn't it? Just because the winemaker might use egg or milk to flavour the wine.

I would probably eat an otherwise vegan meal at an italian restaurant and not be overly worried about the sauce, but that is a decision I make with knowledge of the process. I think it would be unfair not to point out the wine factor to other people who may make a different decision.

Err, just one question for you guys.
    It takes maybe 10 minutes to chop some veg and make some quick pizza sauce (tomato puree, herbs, olive oil) and slap it on a plain vegan pizza base.

Why bother with buying frozen premade pizza? Same goes for ordering in, really.

Do they use wine to make the sauce at pizzarias? I thought that would be illegal cause children are eating the pizza too? o.o I never knew that.

I think I might want to try making my own pizza dough and stuff. I don't know what whey is. But next month when I do my -BIG- grocery shopping, the money I alot ofr frozen pizza stuff I'll alot to baking supplies. :3 Its gonna be hard, I'm getting a new phone soon so I'm gonna have to start paying a monthly fee. Good thing vegan food is so cheap. XD

When you cook with wine, you boil off the alcohol, so it's ok for kids to eat.

Whey is the watery liquid left when you take the solids (cheesey bit) out of milk.

Quote Rob(QG)
    It takes maybe 10 minutes to chop some veg and make some quick pizza sauce (tomato puree, herbs, olive oil) and slap it on a plain vegan pizza base.

i agreee entirely!!
    -henry miller

Quote Rob(QG)

Rob, you may be right, but I just have to say, Amy's vegan pizza is FANTASTIC! I am eating it right now!

Yum yum yum yum YUM!

sugarmouse

pizza is easy and fun to make..
    i saw a bizarre thng not so long ago there was a quichein a shop and i read the ingredients out of interest..i knew it was somehtion i would never eat..BUT
    it was a bacon and cheese one, and they had embossed on the front,

VEGETARIAN CHEESE!! I mean wtf?is there some strange breed of folk who eat meat but not rennet??werid.

i know not all pizza placess round where i live use wine, and ihave ordered themwithout cheese guilt free

well, i would say it had something to do with kosher law, since the enzymes from a cow stomach with cow milk doesn't sound kosher. But people who are kosher wouldn't be eating bacon! Unless it was turkey bacon...than it is OK to eat with dairy I believe, just not beef with cow dairy, or lamb with sheep dairy or goat with goat dairy. Right? you can't eat a meat with the dairy it produces.

I don't know - that was bizarre, you are right!

I saw a Tofutti brand pizza at the health food store a few weeks ago. I believe it was vegan, since tofutti is dairy free, but I put it down once I glanced at the back and saw it was made with partially hydrogenated oil - which is why I won't buy their products. I know in other countries/regions there are hydrogenated free versions but I have never seen them...

I have always liked to make my own pizza. I have my own recipe for crust and than i add veggies and lots of tomato sauce, minced garlic, spices and olive oil. once i used leftover seiten kabobs chopped up, that was pretty good!