Thread: high protein recipes/dishes

Default high protein recipes/dishes

Hi

I'm gonna start bodybuilding (not much coz i'm a girl and don't wanna look like a hulk or anything - just definition) but i have to eat around 1500 calories a day (to lose fat %) and also eat around 150g protein a day and cut carbs to about 180g a day.

this is difficult as a vegan who tries not to eat wheat also!!

so apart from rice and beans (which gets boring) can anyone suggest any tasty high protein recipes that I can try that are exciting please incorporating nuts, beans, rice, peas, and other such high protein ingreds
    thanks

Default Re: high protein recipes

That's a lot!!!
    I use a protein powder as a suplement every few months!
    But if you just want definition then you don't have to radically alter your diet.
    That 100 press up challange coupled with chin ups and dips, and 2 dumb bells will do all you need.
    Do a combination of al these exercises 3 times a day and you will be ripped without putting on much mass!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I want to get defined. apparently I have to get my body fat down to about 12-14% and tone muscles then they will be clearly visible.

I'm still researching so I may be wrong but that's the info i've found online so far.

Is that protein powder actually healthy then? i.e. is it full of chemicals etc? (i've never really fancied it, altho it would help me out a lot)

what make do you use and where do you buy it?

thanks

I use the Holland and Barrett stuff, it's just pure soya protein isolate, nothing else added.
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...548&prodid=221
    I mix it with fruit juices as a smoothie!

I'm kinda surprised at the extremely low body fat target you're aiming for!!!!!
    That's not far above the essential fat % stored in your body just to function and for survival!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

thank you for the link, i'll try some of that.

i am still researching it all but so far that's the percentage body fat they recommend for a female, to get defined and see the muscles (coz i don't want big muscles). That's all we need is enough to function and for survival. any extra is a waste!

go to www.veganfitness.net and they can help too.
    there's also a vegan body builder's site by Robert Cheeke (spelling?) that's apparently really helpful too. Robert is a successful vegan body builder.
    context is everything

Zero

Daffodil,

150g of protein is about 3 times the recommended daily intake, a diet with too much protein often results in consuming too much fat and as it sounds like you are attempting to lose fat it's perhaps not necessarily the best strategy.

Building muscle comes more from exercise and subsequent synthesis and breakdown myofibril proteins within the body than your diet

It has been shown that you only really need about 5% - 10% additional protein in your diet to build optimally, for example have a look at this article

Don't worry you won't end up looking like the Hulk unless you workout in the gym for hours everyday

Hope that is of use, as Rodolfo points out vegan fitness can be a good resource.

Found a couple of really helpful links (if anyone's interested):

this one explains all about protein and why we do need extra to lose weight http://losefatquick.befitandstrong.c...enough-protein

and this one shows how to calculate how much protein we need a day whilst working out: http://www.ironmagazine.com/article158.html

150g was a bit much for me, I now know my correct amount but still find it hard to eat it all!

will be getting to my local H&B soon for some protein supplement (they didn't have it in my local supermarket).

Quote gogs67 View Post
    I use the Holland and Barrett stuff, it's just pure soya protein isolate, nothing else added.
    I mix it with fruit juices as a smoothie!
    Just ordered it off their website it was easier than getting into town to go to the shop.

Thanks again for your help

Prawnil

Quote gogs67 View Post
    I vouch for this too. I was surprised by how long a tub lasted.

Quote Prawnil View Post
    I vouch for this too. I was surprised by how long a tub lasted.
    oh don't tell me that... I've ordered 2 to make the P&P less painful lol

Default Request: protein-pich dishes

Does anybody have any ideas for simple Protein-Rich dishes? Any ideas would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 3rd, 2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Request: Protein-Rich Dishes

Scrambled tofu springs instantly to mind.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Default Re: Request: Protein-Rich Dishes

Best place to look would probably be http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

Default Re: high protein recipes/dishes

Seitan Stir Fry?

Lentil-based meaty "substitutes" made at home are a great way to add variety to your meals without directly attempting to copy meat (which is something I'm not too keen on personally). Lentils I believe have roughly 15g protein per cooked cup.

Personally, I'm a fan of tempeh too, which has a high protein to fat ratio payoff. Something like 8g fat to 22g protein or something like that.

I'm looking at an average packet of Tempeh 226grams. The entire bock of tempeh has 40grams of portein and 22 grams of fat. It's a 3 grain tempeh with Barley, Rice and millet, so a complete protein.

My power meal before or after cycling is always some sort of combo of tempeh, brown rice or quinoa and cooked kale or whole leaf spinach. An easy 20grams + for protein and relatively high in calories in carbs cos I use a huge amount of rice or quinoa.

If I'm lazy I may just saute everything in oil and cook the kale, but usually make some sort of curry dish which I may incorporate chickpeas in.

Lately my dish of choice is a Moroccan influenced dish I found online that incorporates, Tempeh onions, tomatoes, kale and rice. I saute the Tempeh and vegetables in a mixture of orange juice, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander and just pinch of cinnamon.

If you have them in your country cliff builders bars are an easy 20grams of protein and 280 calories. Not sure of the fat content though. I have a really neat vegan pea protein powder that I use sometimes. 30 grams of protein for 120 calories. It tastes like shit though so I mix it with a bunch of fruit and a touch of soya milk and water.

4ozs of lentils= 16 grams protein, 200 calories and 1 gram of fat a pretty protein packed food if your looking for lower calories and hardly any fat.

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post
    I'm looking at an average packet of Tempeh 226grams. The entire bock of tempeh has 40grams of portein and 22 grams of fat. It's a 3 grain tempeh with Barley, Rice and millet, so a complete protein.

My power meal before or after cycling is always some sort of combo of tempeh, brown rice or quinoa and cooked kale or whole leaf spinach. An easy 20grams + for protein and relatively high in calories in carbs cos I use a huge amount of rice or quinoa.

If I'm lazy I may just saute everything in oil and cook the kale, but usually make some sort of curry dish which I may incorporate chickpeas in.

Lately my dish of choice is a Moroccan influenced dish I found online that incorporates, Tempeh onions, tomatoes, kale and rice. I saute the Tempeh and vegetables in a mixture of orange juice, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander and just pinch of cinnamon.

If you have them in your country cliff builders bars are an easy 20grams of protein and 280 calories. Not sure of the fat content though. I have a really neat vegan pea protein powder that I use sometimes. 30 grams of protein for 120 calories. It tastes like shit though so I mix it with a bunch of fruit and a touch of soya milk and water.

4ozs of lentils= 16 grams protein, 200 calories and 1 gram of fat a pretty protein packed food if your looking for lower calories and hardly any fat.
    Thanks for the clarifications! I'm rubbish at remembering things offhand I have a book at home with all the labels of common pantry items I use

Quinoa is an good protein source and, more importantly, is also delicious.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

BlackCats

Quote beanstew View Post
    Quinoa is an good protein source and, more importantly, is also delicious.
    How do you make it delicious? What recipes do you use to cook it? I had some in a salad the other day and I wasn't very impressed.

This is quite nice BC - cribbed from some long-ago forum with the original author's comments, I suppose Dave was her other half I sometimes also stick quinoa in stews etc to add substance. Can't say it's particularly delicious that way as it seems to vanish without trace.

Quinoa and potatoes
    Quinoa & Potatoes with Caraway

1 T olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    1/2 lb. potatoes (a thin skinned variety), cut to 1/4" by 1" matchsticks
    1-1/4 t caraway seeds (Dave hates them; I substitute about 1 t cumin seed)
    1-1/2 c vegetable stock (for pressure cooker. Increase to 2 c for
    standard stovetop cooking)
    1 c quinoa, thoroughly washed and drained
    3/4 t salt (less if stock is salted)

Saute the garlic, onion, potatoes and caraway seeds in the olive oil for
    one minute. (I saute a bit longer, until the onions begin to turn
    golden--I just like the onions better that way.) Stir in the vegetable
    stock and bring it to a boil. Stir in quinioa and salt.

To use a pressure cooker, lock the lid in place and bring to pressure over
    high heat. Decrease heat enough to maintain pressure and cook for 2
    minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand 10 minutes while pressure
    comes down naturally. (This has been plenty of time for me, but if you
    open the cooker and the potatoes are not done enough for you, replace the
    lid and let it sit another one to two minutes. Don't let it go too long,
    though, or quinoa will turn to mush.) Stir well and serve.

To use the recipe without a pressure cooker, follow the instructions above
    until the part about locking the lid on. At that point, cover, bring to a
    boil, then reduce heat to simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Remove from
    heat and allow to stand, covered, for another 5 minutes.

RubyDuby

Quinoa with black beans and mango !

• 1/2 cup quinoa, (see Note)
    • 1 cup water
    • 1/4 cup orange juice
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
    • 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • Pinch of cayenne pepper
    • 1 small mango, diced
    • 1 small red bell pepper, diced
    • 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
    • 2 scallions, thinly sliced

1. Toast quinoa in a small dry saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until it crackles and becomes aromatic, 4 to 6 minutes, then add water. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook until the quinoa is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, whisk orange juice, cilantro, vinegar, oil, ginger, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add mango, bell pepper, beans and scallions; toss to coat
    3. When the quinoa is finished cooking, add to the mango mixture and toss to combine.

I prefer this dish chilled... so good!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

BlackCats

^ Thanks you two. (Beanstew must be ignoring me.)

My friend says red quinoa is the nicer than the normal one. I always think the quinoa salads at Tibits and Aloka are lovely.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Daffodil View Post
    Found a couple of really helpful links (if anyone's interested):

this one explains all about protein and why we do need extra to lose weight http://losefatquick.befitandstrong.c...enough-protein

and this one shows how to calculate how much protein we need a day whilst working out: http://www.ironmagazine.com/article158.html

150g was a bit much for me, I now know my correct amount but still find it hard to eat it all!

will be getting to my local H&B soon for some protein supplement (they didn't have it in my local supermarket).
    I would suggest to look at the book 'The China Study'.

The link you posted does not at all look good to me.
    Just from the first glance ... why you need LOTS of PROTEIN, GOOD SOURCES (Animal) and BAD SOURCES (plants) I would strongly advise NOT to follow this diet/workout regimen/whatever....

Best regards,
    Andy