Thread: Protein? Calcium? Mood?

Default Protein? Calcium? Mood?

Hi

Became vegan 3 weeks ago....

My mum wonders where i'm going to get PROTEIN and CALCIUM from, where do we get this from? i think maybe beans for protein, not sure on calcium?

She is also blaming me feeling down and tired on the diet- what do you guys think? Did u find u felt a little bit down in the dumps when you first converted to veganism?

All advice would be great!

Jen x

Default Re: Protein? Calcium? Mood?

I for one don't remember feeling down but I probably made the switch more gradually than you. Were you vegetarian before or...?

Protein and calcium are not hard for a vegan to get but your mum is probably right that it's worth thinking about where these nutrients are going to come from, and also iron, vitamin B12 and a few other things - then you can make sure you get a balanced diet. Iron is an important one - I have always had a bit of a tendency to be anaemic (even when I was an omnivore) and that does make me feel down in the dumps.

The Vegan Society's web site has a section on nutrition and there are pages on all of these topics. http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/

FR

Tell your Mum to relax a bit. A well-balanced vegan diet will provide superior nutrient content when compared to her animal based diet. You should be asking her if she is getting an adequate amount of nutrients.

A high content of protein is found in whole grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes. Green leafy veggies and fortified plant milks provide more than enough calcium.

It is possible you are feeling tired due to what you have been eating, Since going vegan, what have you had everyday?

Since going vegan i've eaten say...porridge or toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and then a good tea (e.g. stew and veg or pasta or rice dish), with vegan choc, yoghurt or fruit for snacks. my appetite has gone last few days so aint been eating much, but i dont think its realted to the diet. just wondered if anyone else felt down after changing diet to elminate it as a cause really!

thanks for the advice guys! x

When i first became Vegan, i remember after about a month, i was really tired all the time, and didn't have any energy. My parents are "health nuts" so they would try to help me find food with proteins calcium etc. I was still tired, and everytime i would stand up i would get really nauseous. So i started taking iron pills, and Centrum complete. They are just vitamins to replace the stuff you miss out. We should all be taking vitamins anyways, herbivores and omnivores. So i would suggest getting vitamins, if you still feel weak etc, get a "Full comprehensive blood panel test" and take it to a nutritionist. That is what i ended up doings as well, everything was beautiful, i had perfect everything but 2 things (which i cant remember) so he instructed me to take a another type of vitamin, and i was better. See i went straight form FULL omnivore to full vegan. So the change was a shock to my system, so for a month everything was fine, then it hit me.

I just suggest you get your vitamins in, and good luck!
    -People should not fear their government, government should fear the people!

-Because you cant see your cage, doesn't mean you are free!

how weird- i actually wanted to post the same question about appetite. i have only been vegan a month and for the first week i felt almost sick. i still don't have an appetite like i used to (which is a good thing). Now i am just looking at what i eat as fuel for my body, not to say that the food i am eating doesn't taste good- it does. i am starting to really feel good about going vegan. i don't miss anything i used to eat and i am learning about new tastey foods.

good luck.

I make sure to buy a well fortified soymilk to get what I need, since I drink the stuff all the time. Foritfied cereals for breakfasts and stuff like that help too. :3 And then there are natural sources like beans and nuts etc. XD

I need to get mums recipe for walnut brownies and find a way convert it to vegan. XD Yummy.
    ~"Stay calm and quiet now, my pretty little one, don't struggle like that, or I will only love you more," Lullabye, The Cure

Quote mophoto
    how weird- i actually wanted to post the same question about appetite. i have only been vegan a month and for the first week i felt almost sick. i still don't have an appetite like i used to (which is a good thing). Now i am just looking at what i eat as fuel for my body, not to say that the food i am eating doesn't taste good- it does. i am starting to really feel good about going vegan. i don't miss anything i used to eat and i am learning about new tastey foods.

good luck.
    i feel sick as well and a bit headachey and depressed. I used to eat like an absoulte pig but now i just don't snack at all, i don't love food as much as i used to....don't get me wrong a vegan diet is fantastic and there's lots of eat, i just don't fancy food as much at the moment. i don't know wether its related to a change in diet, i was vegetarian for 6 years before i became vegan...its interesting that you have/had the same symptoms!

anyone else found this?

x

i too feel tired and depressed at times. wonder if it has anything to do with sugar withdrawl?? or my vegetarian junk food intake- grilled cheese and fries, pizza

you people all sound like you need some good supplements!!!

i have had more energy and am more hungry than ever since going vegan!!!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

i'm on special vegan supplements from holland and barratt! maybe its just me at the moment, as there's nowt wrong with the vegan diet- despite what family members, friends and work colleagues keep telling me!

FR

I do not believe protein or calcium have a bearing on ones mood. i do know a lack of Omega 3 fatty acids can make one "moody". Eating a handful of walnuts per day is supposed to put one in good spirits.

Some companies creating soya milk, induce calcium in their milk. This will be stated on the milk carton. Buy such soya milk and you don't have to worry about calcium.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Here's articles for newbies, including food info, at http://veganic.net/Xtra.html
    Eve

ConsciousCuisine

I think that eating a well-rounded diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is the best "supplement" one can take!

Are those of you who feel tired eating at least 2 servings in each group of the following daily?

Daily healthy choices, not limited to, but including the following:

Green Vegetables: broccoli, kale, chard, mustard or collard greens, bell peppers, green beans

Orange/Yellow Vegetables: Squash, yams, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, onions, bell peppers

Dark Red/Purple Vegetables: tomatoes, Beets, red cabbage, eggplant, red onions, bell peppers

Fruits: all citrus, berries, melons, apples and so on (2 or more)

thanks for all of the wonderful advice. i never really thought about what i ate, up until recently, and i used to eat out way too much. i guess i just need to prepare better foods for myself and include a variety of fruits and veggies. i have been doing pretty good on eating nuts (in moderation).

I've been feeling overly high and energetic since becoming vegan, probably because of the junk ive cut out, quite alot of people have complimented me in work on how "bouncy" I've been. I'm hoping that's me getting enough energy than not enough!
    What supplements from holland and barrett are you taking Skajen?
    I've been taking a multi vitamin (green ones for vegetarians and vegans) and these big horse sized pills of calcium and magnesium.
    The reason I ask is because I read the back of the bottle today and apparently the calcium ones contain like...oyster shell or something.... that really p***ed me off!!!!

Quote Sproutpout View Post
    I've been feeling overly high and energetic since becoming vegan, probably because of the junk ive cut out, quite alot of people have complimented me in work on how "bouncy" I've been. I'm hoping that's me getting enough energy than not enough!
    What supplements from holland and barrett are you taking Skajen?
    I've been taking a multi vitamin (green ones for vegetarians and vegans) and these big horse sized pills of calcium and magnesium.
    The reason I ask is because I read the back of the bottle today and apparently the calcium ones contain like...oyster shell or something.... that really p***ed me off!!!!
    The H & B 'Chelated Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc' tablets which say 'suitable for vegetarians and vegans' on the back don't list oyster shell in the ingredients!
    And the vegan multi vitamin i get from them is brown not green!
    Must have a different Holland and Barrett in Ireland!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

*live*&*let*live

Quote mophoto View Post
    thanks for all of the wonderful advice. i never really thought about what i ate, up until recently, and i used to eat out way too much. i guess i just need to prepare better foods for myself and include a variety of fruits and veggies. i have been doing pretty good on eating nuts (in moderation).
    Make up a 'sprinkle', on porridge or other breakfast in our house I sprinkle wheatgerm, a mix of seeds ie pumpkin, sunflower, linseed etc and a small amount of dried fruit. I only have this about three times a week but my OH has it every morning.

Good, simple advice. I should try to follow it more often, myself!!

Quote ConsciousCuisine View Post
    I think that eating a well-rounded diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is the best "supplement" one can take!

Are those of you who feel tired eating at least 2 servings in each group of the following daily?

Daily healthy choices, not limited to, but including the following:

Green Vegetables: broccoli, kale, chard, mustard or collard greens, bell peppers, green beans

Orange/Yellow Vegetables: Squash, yams, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, onions, bell peppers

Dark Red/Purple Vegetables: tomatoes, Beets, red cabbage, eggplant, red onions, bell peppers

Fruits: all citrus, berries, melons, apples and so on (2 or more)

Kimberlily1983

Smile Re: Protein? Calcium? Mood?

Quote mophoto View Post
    how weird- i actually wanted to post the same question about appetite. i have only been vegan a month and for the first week i felt almost sick. i still don't have an appetite like i used to (which is a good thing). Now i am just looking at what i eat as fuel for my body, not to say that the food i am eating doesn't taste good- it does.
    I've had some similar experiences. I felt great after I went vegan, except I did notice that I had a bit of a sore throat some of the time during the first month. It came and went. I thought maybe I was coming down with a cold, but I think it was probably the change in diet. Luckily, it was temporary (though it wasn't that bad).

I'm not sure if I would say I have less of an appetite, but that my appetite is satisfied on less food (due to higher fiber content, as well as more protein than when I was vegetarian), and I also don't have the mad cravings I used to have (for cheese, mainly, as well as ice cream). It's great; I've lost about 10 pounds, and have much more energy. :smile: I also no longer get acne! (Not that it was bad anyway, but still!)

Kimberlily1983

Talking Re: Protein? Calcium? Mood?

Quote Kiran View Post
    Some companies creating soya milk, induce calcium in their milk. This will be stated on the milk carton. Buy such soya milk and you don't have to worry about calcium.
    Almonds, almond butter, sesame seeds, sesame seed tahini, and black strap molasses are also excellent sources of calcium. Kale and some of the other dark green leafies are also good!

I made almond milk and I add sesame seeds to anything I can The fortified bagels with peanut butter gives me almost 20g of protein in one sitting... I've experienced mood changes though. Same mood as before, just a shorter fuse. I got into an argument on fathers day because my mom had put margarine on everything. I guess I took it personally

Kimberlily1983

Smile Re: Protein? Calcium? Mood?

Quote Back-Space View Post
    I made almond milk and I add sesame seeds to anything I can The fortified bagels with peanut butter gives me almost 20g of protein in one sitting... I've experienced mood changes though. Same mood as before, just a shorter fuse. I got into an argument on fathers day because my mom had put margarine on everything. I guess I took it personally
    Do you think the mood changes are because of your diet, though, or because you care passionately about animal rights issues, or whatever it is that motivates you to be vegan?

I would say I've noticed a slight improvement in my mood, which I would guess is due to feeling better from not having dairy in my diet (not suffering from mad cravings for cheese, ice cream, cheesecake, whatever, and not putting up with the bloating and extra fat around my belly from indulging these cravings). I also no longer suffer from iron deficiency (which is linked to high or excessive dairy consumption), which means I'm not feeling weak, or breathless after a flight of stairs anymore.

Quote Kimberlily1983 View Post
    Do you think the mood changes are because of your diet, though, or because you care passionately about animal rights issues, or whatever it is that motivates you to be vegan?

I would say I've noticed a slight improvement in my mood, which I would guess is due to feeling better from not having dairy in my diet (not suffering from mad cravings for cheese, ice cream, cheesecake, whatever, and not putting up with the bloating and extra fat around my belly from indulging these cravings). I also no longer suffer from iron deficiency (which is linked to high or excessive dairy consumption), which means I'm not feeling weak, or breathless after a flight of stairs anymore.
    I'm not sure... Maybe a bit of both. It irritates the hell out of me when people wont try something because it's got vegan written on the side of it. Almost like because they're not vegan, they're not allowed to have it or something. "Eww, vegan chocolate?" "The chocolate chips you've been using for baking were vegan!!! What do you think vegan means?"

I've been buying more food to try and slow down the meat coming into the house, but they seem to go and buy more of it And I think the cravings I get when I'm hungry put me on edge. Especially when they're cooking eggs or steaks. It's unbelievable how badly I want some, and how much I don't...

Kimberlily1983

Oh, that's too bad, Back-Space, that you still suffer from cravings. I hope that goes away for you eventually, or at least diminishes in force.

Grrr at people not buying things because it says "Vegan" on it. It's strange how many people think that means it's got weird stuff in it or something. It just means there's no meat, dairy, etc.! Most of the food most people eat would be vegan if it weren't for the addition of some random animal by-product that ruins it, or the smothering of something with cheese, etc.

Last night we were out for groceries and I picked up a packet of dill pickle sunflower seeds, which I'd never seen before, and scanning through the nutritional info / ingredients list (as I do with everything now, for ethical and health reasons ), I was irritated to find modified milk ingredients! In dill pickle sunflower seeds!!!

Going back to the "Vegan" label thing, I suspect something like this (the knowledge that people are nutty about labels they associate with veganism) is behind Soy Delicious's decision to change the name of their product. Now it's So Delicious or Purely Decadent, perhaps depending on where we live (I've only seen Purely Decadent at our stores). I think they figure people have an aversion to things like "soy ice cream". It's like "tofu cheesecake": people think it's going to be gross, and won't even try it.

In some cases it's tempting to think, let them miss out (more for us!), but unfortunately that doesn't help the animals (or the environment, or world poverty, etc.) much. And of course it generally means less for us, as well, since it makes for less demand. Can you imagine how many more vegan products there would be in the stores if everyone thought like us?

Imagine meat and dairy aisles converted into faux meats and non-dairy aisles, and how many more exotic products we'd have from all kinds of cuisines... All kinds of bean and lentil things at the deli counter... I know there are mock seafoods out there, but none are available - yet - in supermarkets, that I know of. Imagine no more miserable lobster tanks, but rows of soy, wheat, rice, etc. based seafoods in our stores.

Ahh, had to end my rant with a little bit of dreaming, haha. Will leave it at that.

Lol Yeah, vegan usually means the reduction of ingredients My sister, who once tried vegetarianism for about a week, put some of the vegan margarine on her potatoes. She wanted to be vegetarian, but she started passing out at work, so my parents told her to start eating meat again She just didn't do much research. She cut meat out of her diet, then didn't replace the protein and iron loss

I know what you mean about the ingredients... I can't find any bread in the grocery store that doesn't say "May contain trace amounts of milk/egg". I know that means there's nothing in it, just that it's produced in a plant that also uses milk and eggs for other products. That still bugs me though.

I think part of the reason I get upset is because I still haven't found something simple and easy to eat. If I feel hungry it's like "great.... Now I've got to cook the rice for 30 minutes, and the vegetables for 10, then fry everything up..." Then I'll eat it, and still be hungry. I'm also trying healthy eating for a while and seeing how it goes. So I could just stuff my face with some chocolate, or go get some fries, or just make a bunch of toast But I don't want to yet. If by the end of July I don't notice much of a difference in the way I feel, I'll be adding all of those back in

I doubt we'll ever see grocery stores filled with fruits and vegetables in our time. Most of the people I talk to care about animal rights... -just not enough to stop eating them

Kimberlily1983

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that I spend more time in the kitchen since going vegan as well. And I think it's because I've cared more about eating healthy as well. I could be a junk food vegan, but I don't want to be. Because of animal ingredients in most bread and because of all the preservatives, I've been baking my own. I've been making my own hummus as well, and no longer using any convenient meal products like Sidekicks and Kraft Dinner, as none of them are vegan of course. So, yeah, it does take more time...

I doubt we'll ever see grocery stores filled with fruits and vegetables in our time. Most of the people I talk to care about animal rights... -just not enough to stop eating them
    I don't know... It certainly feels like things aren't changing that much sometimes, but it could start to happen quickly, perhaps. I think more and more people are getting interested, and there are more products coming out with us in mind. All those yummy foods are going to make making the switch that much easier for those that come after us. You hear people like Gary Francione saying when he went vegan it was much harder: you had your beans and lentils, fruits and vegetables, all that, but no meat substitutes, dairy substitutes, etc. If you wanted a vegan version of your old favorites, you were out of luck. This is no longer the case.

I think people being afraid they'll hate a vegan diet is one of the biggest obstacles to people making this change. Greater product availability (and vegan friends to talk them into trying these! Like Jessica Simpson trying Earth Balance because a vegan friend recommended it to her: she says she thinks she likes it better than butter!) is one factor that's going to bring greater and greater numbers to our side. I think the switch will be made by many people simply for selfish reasons: for health, for the superior taste of vegan food... Animal welfare/rights, the environment, world poverty will be the background reasons for these people, just more reason to give up meat, dairy, etc.

I care about animal rights. I care about the environment, but not nearly to the same extent I drive a fuel efficient car, but mostly because it saves me money on gas. I recycle and compost, but we've always done that As for health reasons... I was about as unhealthy as you could get for a meat eater, and health reasons didn't effect my decision at all Now that I basically have to eat healthy, I thought I'd give getting in shape a try.

I got some orange juice today made by PC Blue Menu I think, and it's got calcium in it I also got some vegan cereals which I'll eat as a snack(high in calcium, iron, B6). Now I just need more snack and meal ideas. Seems everything I eat is whole grain this or multi-grain that. Oatmeal, bagels, pasta, cereal, crackers...

We have a vegan section in the one grocery store that has a good selection of foods. It must get a good bit of business for them to keep it stocked I've only met one other vegan in person. I went to a health store and asked for a vegan multi-vitamin, and they cashier took me straight to it. I think he has been vegan for quite some time, so it's nice to see others out there

Kimberlily1983

I got some orange juice today made by PC Blue Menu I think, and it's got calcium in it
    Hmm, does it contain vitamin D, though? If it does, it's probably D3, and therefore not vegan. We got Tropicana with Calcium and D awhile ago, and I wrote to find out which D it was (2 or 3: it didn't specify). Sure enough, it was D3. There was another brand in our store, but that one specified D3.

Would definitely be interested in finding an orange juice with calcium, with or without D2.

Kimberlily1983

Hmm, speaking of PC Blue Menu products, anyone else try their black bean dip? It's vegan! Delicious... Can be found in the refrigerated section with the hummus.

I'm not quite sure. I'm going to have to check that. They had another one that wasn't fortified with anything which we also bought. I wish there was a website that went over all the products I'd find in the grocery store that are vegan. We've got Fruitopia juice in the fridge, but I don't drink any because I can't find a definitive source as to whether it's vegan or not

Damn It does have vitamin d3 in it. Why the hell do they have to add that to it? I guess my parents will have to drink that one

Kimberlily1983

Damn It does have vitamin d3 in it. Why the hell do they have to add that to it? I guess my parents will have to drink that one
    When Tropicana wrote back to me about having vitamin D3 in their product, they "reassured" me that it was an infinitely small amount, as though I shouldn't be worried about this. I went back on their site and submitted a comment this time (instead of a question), letting them know I would not be purchasing their product so long as it was not vegan, and that they should consider switching to D2 so that us vegans (and some vegetarians) can buy their product. I didn't expect a reply, and didn't get one, but hopefully they do pay attention to what people say. I would say it's in their financial interests...

I know some Fruitopia is no good, and doesn't even really qualify as vegetarian, as they have crushed cochineal bugs in them for coloring. Most people - meat-eaters - I tell that to seem put off. "You mean there's bugs in my juice?" I think the ingredients would list it either as cochineal or as carmine... not sure. I know the one I liked best, Strawberry Passion Awareness, had it.

I've been lazy and haven't been doing my research. For the past few weeks I've basically been drinking water. I do drink PCs regular orange juice, but only when I feel the need for a sugar boost. Surprisingly I haven't felt the need for carbonated drinks, despite how much I used to love them They had a BBQ at work today though... Burgers and hot dogs all over the place. I took just under half of what I was supposed to for break because I couldn't stand it. No matter how much I ate, I still felt like I needed a burger

Kimberlily1983

I've been lazy and haven't been doing my research. For the past few weeks I've basically been drinking water. I do drink PCs regular orange juice, but only when I feel the need for a sugar boost. Surprisingly I haven't felt the need for carbonated drinks, despite how much I used to love them They had a BBQ at work today though... Burgers and hot dogs all over the place. I took just under half of what I was supposed to for break because I couldn't stand it. No matter how much I ate, I still felt like I needed a burger
    Aw, it's too bad nobody brought veggie dogs or veggie burgers. Would have been easy to prepare that alongside their stuff. I know some vegans don't like that because sometimes you get a bit of meat taste in your veggie food, but that doesn't sound like something that would bother you.

I don't think anyone I work with is even vegetarian. I saw a girl eating a fruit salad at lunch and thought "hey look, a nice vegetarian girl I could get to know", but then her friend brought her burger over and they sat there going to town on them... I'm not the type of person to refuse food because it was cooked on the same surface as meat. I want to avoid it as much as possible, but I know restaurants cook fries in with chicken fingers. I don't expect them to buy a new fryer for the 3 vegan customers they get a year... I've just been making my own food lately, and trying as much as I can to convert some family members

Kimberlily1983

They could have still brought veggie stuff for you, even though you're the only one! The place I used to work at would bring in pizza once in awhile, and they'd order a vegetarian one for me even though I was the only vegetarian.

Not sure how they would have felt about ordering it for me as a vegan, though, haha. Ordinary pizza sans cheese is not really that great; most pizza places are clueless about what makes a good vegan pizza. Which I can't say I've really had yet, actually...

Lol. Well only 4 or 5 of my coworkers know I'm vegetarian. I don't really make it public as I'm sick of having to defend my choice. Wasn't a big deal, I'm just working on getting through the cravings. But if I can sit in a room full of people eating burgers, smelling the barbecue running all day, I can get through anything