Thread: recipes with soya yoghurt

Default recipes with soya yoghurt

Does anyone know any nice savory recipes with yoghurt in? I've made raita with my soya yoghurt, which is nice, but Ive got half a tub of yoghurt left. I never used to eat milk or yoghurt as a vege, so I've got no idea what to do with it! I kinda fancy a pasta dish! any ideas?
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

Default Re: recipes with soya yoghurt

I use plain soya yoghurt a lot. I don't really have any "recipes" as such but I do have some suggestions.

What I make most is a salady-salsa-y thing. Get a nice amount of cucumber (say 1/3) and chop it up (I slice it in half lengthwise, then slice down the lengths 3-4 times, then slice across to make rough cubes). Dice up some nice ripe tomatoes, slice up some gherkins, maybe add a few chopped kalamata olives, and then add a good dollop (1/4 to 1/3 of one of those 500ml provamel tubs), a capful or so of cider or balsamic vinegar, some cayenne pepper, possibly some garlic. Mix it all up. Scoop it into your mouth using thick slices of red/yellow/green peppers - I usually find 2 peppers will scoop up that amount.

You can cook your pasta in the normal way, maybe add some frozen peas and/or sweetcorn, then when the pasta is done drain it off and stir in yoghurt, salt and pepper. If you add some vegan pesto the yoghurt makes it go further. You could fry up some onions and mushrooms on the side to add in too.

You could make this recipe with yogurt instead of the whizzed up tofu, in fact it might be nicer. And if you don't have rhubarb it also works with raspberries

And of course, there are always smoothies you could add it to - banana, yoghurt and...um...nectarine? or, I dunno, you could get some of those frozen summer fruits.

You can make good dips for potato wedges too - just add garlic, chilli flakes, fresh coriander, chives or whatever flavours you like. If you want to add in bulky things you could just put the yoghurt in a blender and then whizz them in.

I've made a kind of quick mayonnaise with soya yoghurt, vinegar and olive oil before.

If you add lemon juice and oil you could make a sour cream-ish dressing for german style potato salad.

sugarmouse

I've made a kind of quick mayonnaise with soya yoghurt, vinegar and olive oil before.

wqhat was that like?

Since most soy yogurt in the US is rather sweet I sometimes add it to Indian-spiced stews with either grated coconut or coconut extract to give it a creamy, coconut milk like texture.

Quote Dianecrna
    Since most soy yogurt in the US is rather sweet I sometimes add it to Indian-spiced stews with either grated coconut or coconut extract to give it a creamy, coconut milk like texture.
    Ohhhhhhh yum!!! That sounds delish!!!

FR

I like to make parfaits with it (granola, soy yogurt, mixed berries/fruit).

thanks guys! recipes sound great. I'm hungry now!!!
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

make naan bread - just substitute soy yoghurt for cows in any authentic recipe without eggs!

I can second the vote for using it to make naan bread. Ironically after finally getting to grips with being able to make good vegan naan bread sainsburys, tesco and morrisons started selling it sometimes (do you get the impression they all buy from the same source?). It's still worth trying thou if you're interested in experimenting with some slightly different flavours or like having your food fresh and un-processed (although it's debatable whether soya yogurt is either of these!). I'm working on peshwari at the moment, the only vegan peshwari i've ever found sold was in a small independant bakery in Peckham and was crap.