Thread: Another Ridiculous Anti-Veg Statement

Default Another Ridiculous Anti-Veg Statement

From a Newsweek interview with Rachel McAdams (August 22, 2005) - she of "Wedding Crashers" and "The Notebook" movie fame.

Newsweek: But aren't you a vegetarian?

Rachel:
    No. I was for a couple years, but I just got so tired. I fell asleep during a Chris Rock concert once - I was, like, front row, center - and after that I said, "I've got to go back on meat." I need some iron. But I try to stay away from the baby animals.

I put this in the Not A Vegan Yet section to illustrate the misconceptions that new vegans and non-vegans may have. If we dissect this answer we can see the misunderstandings clearly.

First - I got so tired. Hmmmm, omnivores never get tired? What WERE you eating, not what were you NOT eating would have been my question. Were you trying to survive on junk food, sugar, white flour, salad?

Second - I fell asleep during a concert. Hey, I fell asleep on dates back in my 20's when I was working and going to college. Meat didn't seem to keep me awake. I am sure most/many people who fall asleep in public are omnivores.

Third - I need some iron. What about plant sources or supplements (which many menstruating women are advised to take regardless of diet). I am a vegan who donates blood 3-4 times per year as well as menstruating. I also lift weights 6 days a week and bike. Obviously you don't need meat for iron.

Fourth - I try to stay away from the baby animals. You TRY? Why not just stay away? What's wrong with the babies - not enough iron? Or is it the age thing? A cow at slaughter is the equivalent of an 8 to 9 year old human child (7.5 to 10% of its natural lifespan). Would we consider that child to have lived a long enough life and not get upset if she dies? Or is it only animals that don't deserve to live past childhood?

These are invalid points that Rachel gives. She does all vegetarians and vegans a disservice by blaming lack of meat for her problems. These are the same uneducated arguements that new vegans hear from omnivores all the time.

Anyone new to veganism should learn more about nutrition; not because veganism is nutritionally lacking but because an omnivore diet masks bad eating habits in the short run, allowing people to eat poorly and only pay the price in later years. If you go vegan and have problems then look at what is missing from your diet (whole grains, beans, legumes?) or what needs to be cut out (white flour, sugar, junk food?). What's missing is not meat. If we truly needed to eat meat then this forum wouldn't exist. We are all living proof that a plant based diet is healthy if it is balanced.
    Last edited by DianeVegan; Aug 19th, 2005 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Needs a better title

Lightbulb Re: Rachel McAdams has "Got to go back on the meat?"

Cut her some slack - she's a meat-eater and therefore deficient in fiber and Vitamin C. If she were a vegetarian, she wouldn't make such stupid statements.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

cross barer

Default Re: Rachel McAdams has "Got to go back on the meat?"

Quote Artichoke47
    Cut her some slack - she's a meat-eater and therefore deficient in fiber and Vitamin C. If she were a vegetarian, she wouldn't make such stupid statements.

Default Re: Another Ridiculous Anti-Veg Statement

Quote Dianecrna
    From a Newsweek interview with Rachel McAdams (August 22, 2005) - she of "Wedding Crashers" and "The Notebook" movie fame.

Newsweek: But aren't you a vegetarian?

Rachel:
    No. I was for a couple years, but I just got so tired. I fell asleep during a Chris Rock concert once - I was, like, front row, center - and after that I said, "I've got to go back on meat." I need some iron. But I try to stay away from the baby animals.

Her whole answer makes her sound like a very unintelligent person - the last sentence in particular!

ConsciousCuisine

What.A.Stupid.B*tch.

FR

Default Re: Rachel McAdams has "Got to go back on the meat?"

Quote Artichoke47

Good one.

That really pisses me off! What an ignorant statement she made.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

UGH! That pisses me off to no end, too.

So misguided, and unfortunately so typical.

FR

Very good points, Dianecrna.

Kevster

Question Re: Another Ridiculous Anti-Veg Statement

How does she stay away from baby animals?

Kevster, she just tries to stay away. I especially loved that one. It's like people who try to eat right and try to exercise and try to stop cheating on their spouse and try to ......... Just do it!

Great post Dianecrna, and set out simply enough for anyone to get the points made.
    Eve

Thanks Eve! That's why I posted it here. I heard these same lame excuses from previous vegetarians when I went vegan.

yogini

great post..i agree 100%
    makes me mad though because shes the kind of person who gets the coverage and spreads the wrong message..making things harder for the rest of us!

Guess she was to stoopid to realise she couldv'e got iron from elsewhere than meat.

Its a shame that people tend to listen to celebrities more than anyone else these days.
    Species killing species, Our species killing all species... but we call it 'Industry' not 'Murder'.

why try to stay away from baby animals????? - they're sooooo cute

haha agreed Cedar, so cute
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

You go Dianecrna!!! I always enjoy listening to your thoughts. I had just started liking Rachel McAdams....how sad to hear her sound so foolish... She should stick to making movies and not giving advice about vegetarianism.

P.S. Dianecrna, the big fella on your shoulder is beautiful I bet he's quite a handful

Oh Surf, you don't know the half of it! He is about 7 now so his hormones are racing. He is a rescue bird or I wouldn't have him, but he still only knows that he wants a mate NOW. Poor guy. The rest of the family puts up with him but would not miss him - I look at it like adopting a child. I figure in about 3 years he'll calm down to almost bearable!

As an aside, my sister (who is now pregnant and giving up meat and dairy ) just got an earful from her father-in-law last night about how much meat eating has done for our society! She'll be joining the forum soon.

Quote Dianecrna
    Oh Surf, you don't know the half of it! He is about 7 now so his hormones are racing.

As an aside, my sister (who is now pregnant and giving up meat and dairy ) just got an earful from her father-in-law last night about how much meat eating has done for our society! She'll be joining the forum soon.
    I never knew bird's hormones did that!! That is so good to hear about your sister! That is sad about her father-in-law though Hopefully she will keep her chin up and stay encouraged having you there for her

Dianecrna, I'm excited to meet your sister and welcome a new member!
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

i remember when i was younger i got faint and thought it was because i needed meat... turns out when you actually learn about nutrition, you cant survive off of bagels, muffins and donuts! i was a bad vegetarian... but rachel (haha thats my name too) just hasnt learned yet about proper nutrition, i dont hate her for making these comments.