Thread: lettuce

Default lettuce

i love salads. i also find theyre cheap to make. id like to make sure im getting the most bang for my buck, so out of all lettuces, which one would you say is the most nutritious?

i like romaine because its high in vitamin a and c. what other ones are good?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Default Re: lettuce

i love romaine-

iceburg sucks.

I love butter lettuce and greenleaf lettuce. I used to always eat iceberg lettuce, but now I find it pretty watery and tasteless. The greener the better. Actually I bought my first greenleaf lettuce yesterday and I really like it. From now on it's either that or butter lettuce (the butter lettuce lasts longer because you can buy it with the roots still attached, and you can soak the roots to make it last as long as you like)
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

butter lettuce is actually one of my absolute favorites. i also like red leaf lettuce.

I don't buy lettuce these days; the last few times of eating lettuce, I had the feeling that there was nothing to it! I used to prefer cos.
    Eve

Any of the mixed "spring" or "baby" salads because of the variety - I figure at least one of them has to be good for me! However, for great vitamin C I also pick wood sorrel from the land behind my house (you probably have it growing all over your yard and think it is a weed). It adds a little lemony taste to salad.

yogini

ive started eating baby spinnach or watercress either instead of or mixed in with lettuce. baby spinnach packed with iron, esp if you put lemon dressing on it. (vit c helps you absorb the iron)
    watercress has heaps fo vit a and c (cancer flighting)
    potassium and also a natural antibiotic, and also iodine for thyroid function.
    its a little bitter but you do get used to it and you can mix it with other greens or add dressing.

cross barer

As a former cook/chef, I'd have to say mignonette is the tastiest followed by cos. As far as nutrition goes, I know the bitter varieties are really good for you and help liver detoxification.

dont forget, if anyone buys the bags of pre-packed leaves to still wash before eating.

some of the chemicals used to create the 'protective atmosphere' are not nice and should be washed off even though it says 'washed and ready to eat'.

Good point Cedarblue (nice avatar),

Also rinse the lettuce to remove bacterial contamination. I spent 8 hours at an outdoor concert with a vomiting/ voiding friend who got E. coli from lettuce (and these were heads of lettuce which were later recalled). Not a pretty site.

cross barer

Quote Dianecrna
    Good point Cedarblue (nice avatar),

Also rinse the lettuce to remove bacterial contamination. I spent 8 hours at an outdoor concert with a vomiting/ voiding friend who got E. coli from lettuce (and these were heads of lettuce which were later recalled). Not a pretty site.
    Hmm I've just been reading about E.Coli and how some species can easily kill you. It seems to be an animal borne pathogen and not normally found with vegetables, however it is transferred through feces so I would assume it was in lettuce either from the handlers/farmers who hadn't washed their hands properly or from the fertilisers used in growing it (most likely if a recall was involved).

Either way, washing it can only help not harm!

California! (Here I come, right back where I started from...)

I have gotten some stuff at my local Whole Foods Market called Mache (with a circumflex over the a). It come in a plastic box and is in clusters of small leaves, sortof. It tastes quite good.

Oh, and cedarblue, I like your avatar too. But if you don't get rid of it I'm goint to end up staring at it for hours!

I don't know too much about the nutritional content, but I really like Arugula leaves. My least favourite is the Frisée. It's kind of spikey and gets caught in my throat.

speaking of johnny depp, my boyfriend looks very similar to him!

Quote foxytina_69
    speaking of johnny depp, my boyfriend looks very similar to him!
    Lucky you Foxy!

I've been eating iceburg for years but I think I'll switch to spinach.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

as for Ecoli - it's the bullsh... that they put on the earth, being organic etc. The lettuces are put into those sort of netting bags, and of course the manure gets into them. So you really must wash very carefully. When I was in Thailand, people at that time washed their greens with bleach! Maybe that's what first turned me off lettuce! The smell returns just thinking of it.
    Eve

I like any lettuce except iceburg. Iceburg is icky.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

I like oak leaf, its really, well, nice, actually.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Oh and i always go for a bit of wild roquet when i can afford it, although it usually comes in the aforementioned evil chlorine filled bags, so i scrub it a bit first. Its got such a kick. Phew.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Seaside

Quote eve
    as for Ecoli - it's the bullsh... that they put on the earth, being organic etc. The lettuces are put into those sort of netting bags, and of course the manure gets into them. So you really must wash very carefully. When I was in Thailand, people at that time washed their greens with bleach! Maybe that's what first turned me off lettuce! The smell returns just thinking of it.
    Lots of Asian countries use night soil, rather than animal manure.
    Also, manure must be aged first. Fresh manure will rob soil of more nutrients than it will yield, due to decomposition reactions. I think that most plant based E. coli outbreaks are due to poor handling by humans.

Quote catmogg
    I like oak leaf, its really, well, nice, actually.

I have never heard of this one.

i love the inner leaves of romaine lettuce so much i want to eat them by themselves LOL. i think theyre so gorgeous. (is it wierd to think fresh veggies/fruit are gorgeous LOL)

Sainsbury's continental salad is good in sandwiches and burgers.

Other than that I'm more of a cabbage man. Mmmm, savoy with mint sauce.

Quote spjessop
    Sainsbury's continental salad is good in sandwiches and burgers.
    I think Waitrose does the packaged salad better than the other supermarkets. The red leaf salad (I think that's the name) with rocket is great.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Ooonly the veganforum could have an entire thread devoted to lettuce

Actually I have real trouble eating lettuce, at least on its own. I used to go out with this fucker in the RAF whose dad grew lettuces, and we were making a salad one day and he pulled up this lettuce out of the garden, all covered in all manner of earwigs and snails and spiders and creepy crawlies, all in between the leaves and everything. Having said I didn't fancy it, he proceeded to make me feel crap about it, so I had to eat it. Yuck.

Is lettuces the right plural? It sounds a bit wrong, as though it should be lettii or something.

Quote miss_laura
    Ooonly the veganforum could have an entire thread devoted to lettuce

Actually I have real trouble eating lettuce, at least on its own. I used to go out with this fucker in the RAF whose dad grew lettuces, and we were making a salad one day and he pulled up this lettuce out of the garden, all covered in all manner of earwigs and snails and spiders and creepy crawlies, all in between the leaves and everything. Having said I didn't fancy it, he proceeded to make me feel crap about it, so I had to eat it. Yuck.

Is lettuces the right plural? It sounds a bit wrong, as though it should be lettii or something.
    He sounds neanderthal. i hope you tossed him like a lettuce, miss laura

- Byron

Quote catmogg
    He sounds neanderthal. i hope you tossed him like a lettuce, miss laura
    yeah - did you toss him, miss laura? hmmm?

Quote Tofu Monster
    yeah - did you toss him, miss laura? hmmm?
    Tofu, you are beyond redemption, i meant leave him, get rid of him, he wouldn't have deserved anything else.

- Byron

I don't know, I adore iceburg lettuce myself. I have it on my sandwhiches all the time. Sometimes the dark green lettuces taste TOO strong for me. Guess it comes with being a supertaster. ^^;
    ~"Stay calm and quiet now, my pretty little one, don't struggle like that, or I will only love you more," Lullabye, The Cure