Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Soyatoo vegan spray cream

Default Re: Soyatoo vegan spray cream

I've been converted - my local health food shop (yes, *MY* local health food shop Yes, in Cumbria!!!) has started selling the soyatoo whippable cream. HOORAY!!!

The only downside is that you have to eat the whole lot (although it was fine after a night in the fridge, it didn't collapse or anything) rather than just having a tiny bit. Not such a bad thing

I've just sent them an email about the squirty cream problem. I'll let you know if/when I hear something back.

I'm sure you can find a suitable use for a whole carton
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I bought some today, and even though it's well hot outside I'm looking forward to a soya hot chocolate with squirty cream!

I've been wondering ....I have some powdered soy milk...if I add a little ice cold water wouldn't it beat up to a whipped type cream? I mean I'd have to add some sweetener and some vanilla .....

Quote Jane M
    I've been wondering ....I have some powdered soy milk...if I add a little ice cold water wouldn't it beat up to a whipped type cream? I mean I'd have to add some sweetener and some vanilla .....
    I don't know if it would work. But if you try it and it does, let me know because I have a big cannister of powdered soy milk as well!

Quote veganwitch
    I don't know if it would work. But if you try it and it does, let me know because I have a big cannister of powdered soy milk as well!
    Well it sort of worked...used about 1/3 cup of powder and added ice water until slightly thick then beat with beaters that I had put in the freezer for a bit. It got thick and creamy but is a funny color and doesn't taste all that good. I added some sugar and vanila and it helps some.

Lol Jane M I had a few attempts at whipped cream a few years ago using all kinds of things - cashew nuts, soya milk & oil etc.... and beating a lot. Mostly completely disasterous but I came out with an alright recipe for pouring cream and a slightly dodgy one for mayonnaise

Troutina - sounds good. You could always go for an ice cream sundae with squirty cream and chocolate sauce if it's hot again tomorrow

If you are careful to follow directions and shake the can firmly upside down so it all gets packed at the top and then squirt upside down it squirts just fine. Mine's been working perfectly, no problems. I've been eating it all week! Its divine! I like it better than "real" whipped cream!

i tried the whipping cream last week. i was disappointed. it's much too sugary and was totally separated when i opened the carton despite being very well shaken beforehand - liquid at the top and solid at the bottom. once whipped it tasted like raw meringue - gross! nothing like cream at all, just sugar and a weird artificial air flavour. i won't buy it again.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote SweetPea View Post
    If you are careful to follow directions and shake the can firmly upside down so it all gets packed at the top and then squirt upside down it squirts just fine. Mine's been working perfectly, no problems.
    I've done that without total success - unless you are storing it upside-down as well?

I've had quite a few cans since it came out but I've never felt like I've actually got the end of the contents before it stops squirting.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I've probably gotten through about 20 cans now

Probably 2-3 of those have been duds and only partially worked. It's annoying, but not end of the world. You just have to make sure that if you're spraying and only gas is coming out that you stop and shake - otherwise you loose all the propellant with the cream still stuck inside.

And you need to clean out the top after you've used it or it goes mouldy.

So do you need to store it upside-down? (That's the only thing suggested that I haven't been doing.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cobweb

i love the stuff, especially on my cocoa, but i've given up with it - too much hassle.

You have to keep it in the fridge but remember to take it out 20 mins before using it, and rinse the top and shake just once, etc - and i don't know if that is very good for food, to keep changing its temperature.

Also i can never get the last bit out, what a waste.

If I ever get cans that stop working part way through I take them back to the health shop I got them from (with a receipt) and they give me a new can.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

Quote Cherry View Post
    And you need to clean out the top after you've used it or it goes mouldy.
    I pull the nozzles off and keep them separately now, then just put one on top of the can I'm using. That way if one goes bad (sometimes however well you clean them they still get mouldy) I've got spare.

I sound like a soyatoo cream junkie don't i?

Really it's pudding in general that I'm addicted to, not just this

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I sound like a soyatoo cream junkie don't i?
    I love Soyatoo! I dont eat it regularly, otherwise I'd become an addict and put on a tonne of weight!

A few years back my boyfriend made me a vegan chocolate birthday cake, and used Soyatoo mixed with chocolate for the cream to sandwich the sponge together. Beautiful!

patientia

First I tried Soy Whip Spray, it tasted like butter and I disliked it at first, but since it was the only available soy whipped cream, I got used to it.

My non-vegetarian SO said it tasted terribly. My lactose intolerant non-vegetarian friend said it's not sweet at all.

Then I tried Rice Whip Spray and it tasted bad, but I ate it anyway. Never again.

Then I tried whippable cream and wasn't able to whip it well with hand mixer. I read somewhere that 30% of fat is needed in order to trap air bubbles. Soyatoo has only 11%. So I just poured it into my hot chocolate, and it was tasty.

Now I use just Soy Whip Spray.

Has anybody tried whipping whippable cream in a whipped cream dispenser? I read on some molecular cooking sites that lecithin can be added to food not containing enough fat in order to make it whippable.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I've probably gotten through about 20 cans now

Probably 2-3 of those have been duds and only partially worked. It's annoying, but not end of the world. You just have to make sure that if you're spraying and only gas is coming out that you stop and shake - otherwise you loose all the propellant with the cream still stuck inside.
    I second that.

I just tried the Soyatoo Coconut Cream, its really good. Far better than the normal stuff, but you need to like the taste of coconut though