• I normally avoid refined sugar

29 21.17%
  • I use refined sugar occasionally

18 13.14%
  • I haven't really paid much attention to refined sugar yet / I use it

22 16.06%
  • I use sugar that is refined without using animal products

29 21.17%
  • I use the kind of sugar that is naturally brown, like Demarara and Turbinado (but not refined sugar that has been made brown)

35 25.55%
  • I use other natural sweeteners, like stevia, maple syrup etc.

46 33.58%
  • I use artifical/synthetic sweeteners

13 9.49%
  • I use fair trade sugar

19 13.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sugar

Default Sugar

Due to the frustrations I run into when trying to only purchase/consume sugars that are vegan, I am now seriously considering dropping all refined sugars from my diet. I'm thinking that in a way, that would simplify the issue for me. But then I think it might be a difficult enough transition that I should learn more about the subject first.

So I'm wondering what y'all do. Do you avoid all refined sugar? Do you use vegan refined sugar? Do you only use the sugar from fruits, molasses and such? Is this particular topic something you are not as concerned with/careful about?

Thanks.

Default Re: sugar

Stephanie wanted me to add a poll to this thread. Any suggestions for other reply options, before I open it?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Well - I try to buy fair trade sugar - not strictly a vegan question, but linked to ethics.

Thanks, Twinkle - added.

How about I avoid cane/beet/palm sugar, I'm sweet enough.

I try and avoid all of it as it makes my eczema play up. If I eat too much cane sugar I get alla itchy like.

Antony
    mmmmm sweeeet (homer)

FR

Quote Peas'nHominy
    Due to the frustrations I run into when trying to only purchase/consume sugars that are vegan, I am now seriously considering dropping all refined sugars from my diet.
    I prefer Turbinado sugar and natural sweetners. Fortunately, these are easily available where I live so i do not have to worry about dropping sugar from my diet.

Seaside

How about removing the word "only" from "I only use other, natural sweeteners" I use stevia, and agave syrup, but I also use naturally brown sugar, too. I do not avoid vegan products like Dagoba chocolate, or Laura's Wholesome Junk Food cookies, which also contain sugar.

Thanks..... no more suggestions re. reply options?

Seaside

No.

OK, Seaside... this means that the poll is open!

Seaside

I voted!

Quote FR
    I prefer Turbinado sugar and natural sweetners. Fortunately, these are easily available where I live so i do not have to worry about dropping sugar from my diet.
    I just saw Turbinado sugar at one of the WholeFoods here. That's good to learn; I didn't know anything about Turbinado. - thanks.

I still consume normal white sugar and brown sugar because vegan alternatives are either hellishly expensive or unavailable.

Oh the joy.

But, I do want to cut my sugar intake down and invest in some organic sugar and maple syrup.

FR

Real sugar -aka- Turbinado sugar isn't expensive here, and it tastes much better than animal bone filtered sugar.

isn't beet sugar vegan???

1vegan

Beet sugar is (ususally) vegan

I use certified organic beet sugar, and mine is vegan.

I know it's better not to use refined sugar though, and I'm working on it

I stopped buying sugar years ago, before I became a vegan.

The only sugar I eat regularly is in vegan ice cream and liquorice. I stopped eating chocolate last year.

Quote twinkle
    Well - I try to buy fair trade sugar - not strictly a vegan question, but linked to ethics
    am i the only other person who uses fair trade sugar when they can? (it's often a bloody rip off so i don't always)
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble
    am i the only other person who uses fair trade sugar when they can? (it's often a bloody rip off so i don't always)
    To tell the truth - I don't think I've ever seen it for sale.

I don't really no what I use. Maybe I should oh dear.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I use sugar refined w/out animal products... most british sugar companies are vegan.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

I like to use sucanat when I bake.

Koolvedge

Refined Sugar is really bad, ever read, "The Sugar Blues"? It tells alot of truth about "the substance". If it's got crystals I avoid it. For tea I use Agave nectar. Maple syrup is suppose to be mold free, and Stevia is supposed to better than refined sugar but it does have a slightly weird taste that most can't get over. In the Carribean I sueezed the sugar cane plant itself and obtained the most natural sweetest lovely juice, mm. Above all the nectars are for me, and maybe one day I can graduate to accepting my sweets totally in the form of naturally sweet fruits and live as close to nature as possible. As for refined sugar, I think it's highly detrimental, addictive and unnatural to the human body.

FR

I chose:

I use the kind of sugar that is naturally brown, like Demarara and Turbinado (but not refined sugar that has been made brown)

I also use things like organic maple syrup, yum!

I'm curious, how do you guys afford using Maple Syrup so much? It's about $10 for a tiny little glass bottle!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Koolvedge

I think it's $5 for a tiny little glass bottle .

Not here! It's weird. I never tried it before actually, is it any good?

Koolvedge

Yeah, it's got a good type of sweetness

Quote Tigerlily
    Not here! It's weird. I never tried it before actually, is it any good?
    Oh wow! A Canadian that's never tried Maple Syrup. Mmmmm it's delicious Tigerlily. I love it on vegan waffles

Seaside

Tigerlily, if your time is worth $100000000000 an hour, how come you can't afford maple syrup?

I should think it would be cheaper in Canada than anywhere else. I heard it goes for $100.00 a gallon in Japan.

Quote Tigerlily
    I'm curious, how do you guys afford using Maple Syrup so much? It's about $10 for a tiny little glass bottle!
    I can't believe it is so much in Canada! Where I am in the US here, Vermont Maple Syrup is about that much, but Canadian and Wisconsin (the state I live in) are pretty affordable. You don't use too much after all!

I tell people the best thing about living in Wisconsin is the cheap syrup!

Tigerlilly, maybe you get Vermont imported syrup where you are??? You need to try some, it is amazing tasting!

I also buy it in a big gallon-sized thing at Sam's Club. I try not to shop there for ethical reasons, but I am a whore for cheap food. I think it is a gallon or 3/4 of a gallon for $15. Not bad, it lasts me for 6 months.

FR

There are many varities of maple syrup sold here where I live. I can usually catch one of the brands on sale for $6.00 per meduim sized bottle. There are also ways to dilute it and make it last longer, although I prefer to keep it at full strength.

I might have to try it. The thing is, I'd have to pay for it with my own money and it is a little steep for an unemployed university student.

FR

Quote Tigerlily
    I might have to try it. The thing is, I'd have to pay for it with my own money and it is a little steep for an unemployed university student.
    I'd wait then as it is addicting.

I do not refined white sugar. I use evaporated sugar cane juice, we call it Jaggery/gud here in India.

I have also used Agave nectar. I have bought it from www.veganessentials.com. It is very nice.

Manish Jain

Koolvedge

Agave nectar is really good, I think the glycemic index is zero, so it could be very easy on the body.

Koolvedge

For anyones who's interested!

But you need some sugar!

Koolvedge

Quote Tigerlily
    But you need some sugar!
    I'd say yes, but in natural form from fruits and vegetables which nature has put buffers into so as not to stress the body's sytem. When we extract sugar from something we de-nature it, and everything that nature put into accompanying that fruit or vegetable with before the sugar was processed, was stripped out and is gone, leaving behind a substance that is foreign to the body, and nobody's sure of what that will do to us. I still eat stuff with natural {whatever that is} cane sucunat sugar, so I am still a sugar junkie, but I think it's better to know I'm addicted to it, than not know.

Talking of natural sugars, my Porridge is now sweetened with only apple juice and sultanas. Mmmm.

I use fair trade sugar, its not really that much more than regular brown sugar you know and its worth the extra cost. I'm happy to pay more for fair trade, I wouldn't think twice about it.

I cant avoid sugar, I'm hypoglycemic and frequently need to down whatever sugar is at hand.

I try to use maple syrup/golden syrup/fruit puree/etc. when possible but I admit I do sometimes eat refined sugar. =/

Argh...hard to admit, but I still use refined sugar. I also use unbleached sugars, brown rice syrup, and maple syrup as well, but I haven't cut the white sugar out of my diet.

I don't like the idea that it is filtered with bone char. But, it's so common, and it's in so many foods, that it makes being vegan much harder, especially when it comes to family meals. I sort of think that the bone char filters are a convenient by-product of the animal industry, and that sugar refineries use it merely because it's available and probably inexpensive. If the animal industry went away, the sugar refineries would find something else to use. So how much are you really contributing to the animal industry by avoiding refined sugar?

...but when I see how dedicated so many of you are, I feel like I should try harder!

I use mollasses, maple syrup, figs, sucatant AND refined sugar I'm up there with Flitter basically in a nutshell. I feel the same way about gelatin really(though I fully avoid it), but I wouldn't mind someone giving me good reason not to.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

rxseeeyse

don't like sugar in general after I learned about them....but it's annoy because my mother always put extra sugar in my soy milk...and bean soup too...I should honestly tell her that I refuse to eat refined sugar! and let's try maple syrup instead...oh, I heard some maple syrup are not so vegan...depends....

I agree, plus it doesn't do anything good for the body, so why consume it at all?

Quote Thoughtful Kam View Post
    I agree, plus it doesn't do anything good for the body, so why consume it at all?
    Well it does actually, it provides energy, which is essential for life.

Quote Risker View Post
    Well it does actually, it provides energy, which is essential for life.
    and it tastes damn good.

Quote veganosie View Post
    and it tastes damn good.
    A very good point. Though I could live without sugar it would be detrimental to my quality of life to do so as it's a product I enjoy.