Thread: fruits vs. vegetables

Question fruits vs. vegetables

before i was vegan, i liked fruit more than vegetables. now that im vegan, i like vegetables more than fruit. is this normal? has anyone else felt this way?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: fruits vs. vegetables

Some of it may have to do with your body needing the minerals and nutriens in vegetables...I eat mostly vegetables and a few fruits myself. I eat the fruits that are the healthiest, but organic fruits are so expensive and rot so quickly, don't they? I feel that I get what I need by eating more vegetables than fruit.

I feel like I switch off. Before veganism it was fruit. Then I turned hardcore to vegetables. Now back at school since they have a ton of fruit at our dining hall I eat a lot of that. So it varies I guess!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

I'm kind of a 50/50 balance, but I only like savory fruit, not sweet fruit.

Which reminds me.... I've got an avocado that would sure love my undivided attention right about now. *wanders off to the kitchen*
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

My sweet tooth makes me a fruit fan, but I love vegetables too. I am probably equal. I love tomatoes, dates, bananas, avocado, all berries, eggplant, kiwis, pineapple, mango, apples, oranges, sweet potato, parsley, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, kale, bok choy, dried figs, leek, papaya, chives... - yeah I am equal

I always liked veggies more than fruit. I do like avocados and tomatoes, but for the most part I have to remind myself to eat fruit.

My favorite food group is grains/breads/cereals. I have to remind myself to not eat too much of that!

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I eat the fruits that are the healthiest, but organic fruits are so expensive and rot so quickly, don't they? I feel that I get what I need by eating more vegetables than fruit.
    I eat more vegetables than fruit also, but I haven't found organic fruits to rot faster than non-organic. I guess it may have something to do with whether they are picked at just before ripe or not - how far they have travelled (time) and the use of anti-senescing plant hormones to prevent the fruit from maturing prematurely which would be found in many non-organic products.

I don't know if there is an argument against using ethylene absorbing packaging with some fruit in organics? I *try* to buy locally and in small regular quantities. When my vegies run out, I start cooking more of the dried things - mushrooms, lentils and the odd tin of tomatoes. After a big shop I pretty much just eat veg and lots of it! I should add more carbohydrates though for the energy.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

before i was vegan i had a really sweet tooth so would've said i preferred fruit. now though i crave savoury food all the time and often have difficulty eating fruit because it's too sweet for me.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'