Thread: Calcium and other supplements

Default Calcium and other supplements

I hope someone can help - how can I be sure I am getting enough calcium? Can I get enough purely from plant sources? Or should I take a supplement? I really want to keep my use of supplements to a miniumum.
    I also read that B12 is the only supplement we "really need" as vegans - is that true?

Thanks

FR

Default Re: Calcium and other supplements

Quote fiamma
    I hope someone can help - how can I be sure I am getting enough calcium? Can I get enough purely from plant sources? Or should I take a supplement? I really want to keep my use of supplements to a miniumum.
    I also read that B12 is the only supplement we "really need" as vegans - is that true?

Thanks
    No, you will not need to take supplements for calcium. Studies show vegans have stronger bones than omnivores, and lacto-ovo vegetarians. There are plently of plant sources, especially leafy green veggies like collard greens, and kale that supply the body with necessary amounts of calcium. Fortified plant milks are also excellent sources.

Yes, we do need b-12. B-12 is also found in fortified plant milks such as, soy, almond, and rice milk.

There are probably multiple threads dealing with calcium here.

Good points, FR.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

The best way to make strong bones is to do weight-bearing exercises, rather than take supplements. As FR says, we do need B12, and with the de-naturing of the earth, the pollution of the waterways, etc, difficult to get B12 naturally, so a supplement can do the trick. Of course most decent soymilks have added B12, so do certain other foods (but that depends on where you live). I don't know about Italy.

I also don't know your age, but a couple of good books by Miriam E Nelson, PhD, are "Strong Women Stay Young", and "Strong women Strong Bones".
    Eve