Thread: Cheaper leaf for pesto

Default Cheaper leaf for pesto

Hi. Does anyone know of a cheaper leaf than basil leaves that can be used for pesto. I'd like to learn to make pesto but doing experiments (and probably failing often) with fresh basil leaves could get very expensive fast. I'd like to get the ingredient balance right without basil first before. Any hints?

Cheers,

Ross-c

Default Re: Cheaper leaf for pesto

You can make pesto-like sauces with all sorts of things - I quite like spinach and walnut. Flat-leaved parsley is also a good base. Obviously it won't taste the same if you don't use basil

One way to get a large amount of basil fairly cheaply and fast is to buy those supermarket cartons with a lot of little seedlings and plant them in a large pot (even though the packaging will probably warn you not to). They grow quickly if it's sunny, though I admit that's a big "if"

Quote harpy
    You can make pesto-like sauces with all sorts of things - I quite like spinach and walnut. Flat-leaved parsley is also a good base. Obviously it won't taste the same if you don't use basil

One way to get a large amount of basil fairly cheaply and fast is to buy those supermarket cartons with a lot of little seedlings and plant them in a large pot (even though the packaging will probably warn you not to). They grow quickly if it's sunny, though I admit that's a big "if"
    I can buy flat leaved parsley at a lot of shops around here quite cheaply. Will give that a go. I have a packet of basil seeds, but will be moving house next month and can't plant until I'm in a more stable situation. Thanks.

Cheers,

Ross-c

I've made pesto with arugula, parsley, cilantro, basil, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes - and - pine nuts, walnuts, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios (most have more flavor when lightly toasted). I sometimes add white miso and/or nutritional yeast.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

use rocket leaves instead of basil, with olive oil and pine nuts. Tis lovely!!
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p