Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vegan pasta

Default Re: Fresh Eggless Pasta

yes, extremely. I've never been in a shop that sells it (and I go to a lot), I only know of 2 mail order sources. I've met plenty of people who've said they are sure they can buy it, then when they try find that actually they can't
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

gosh, i almost feel like i should just buy some and ship it to u! how do u make seitan, or r u not able to? or do u haave to makee it from real scratch?
    Peace Love Surf.

The times i've made it it's been from real scratch. Kinda sucky, but i'm used to making things like bread from scratch on a regular basis, so it isn't too horrendous

Thanks for the offer, but it would be cheaper for me to try a mail order place . The first place is an absolute rip off for a small amount by a company that sells vegan products, the second is a good price from a company that sells baking ingrediants, but you hafta order more than I think i'd use in a few months. I'll get round to it one day

Seaside

Quote Mr Flibble
    if only you americans knew how hard it is to get pure gluten in the uk

I was under the impression that traditional italian flour is fairly low in gluten, and when you make italian bread you should use plain flour as opposed to high gluten content bread flour?
    Hi Mr Flibble,
    Semolina is the endosperm or heart of the durum wheat kernel - a hard wheat variety with very high gluten content and high protein to carbohydrate ratio. Durum wheat is more coarsely ground than other flours. The milling process separates the endosperm from the rest of the grain.

Durum flour is finely ground semolina (endosperm). It's amber colour is what imparts the rich yellow typical of semolina pasta which is produced industrially by extruding or forcing the firm dough through metal dies to create the many shapes available. It produces a very resilient product that can stand up to the pasta making process and retain its shape in cooking, even if overcooked.
    It all depends on how al dente you want your pasta. Higher gluten flours come closest to semolina if semolina is unavailable. But if you like tender, soft pasta, use softer flour. My mom's best friend was Italian, and so I am acustomed to al dente pasta (some might consider it undercooked). I still get funny looks in public from folks who watch me twirl the spaghetti around my fork before I eat it too!

haha, but seriously, who doesn't twirl pasta around their fork though?!
    Peace Love Surf.

Seaside

Quote moochbabe
    haha, but seriously, who doesn't twirl pasta around their fork though?!
    Exactly. I thought EVERYBODY did!

Quote moochbabe
    gosh, i almost feel like i should just buy some and ship it to u! how do u make seitan, or r u not able to? or do u haave to makee it from real scratch?
    incase anyone in the UK was wondering where I found online you can get gluten powder from at about a tenth of the price of vegan store, the link i had no longer works

I have however found a total of one on my search tonight, who don't have it in stock! If they do again thou, the link is: http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/

I picked up a ravioli mold at a great independant kitchenware store in leicester yesterday. Have tried it out with pasta dough made in my bread machine (1 cup flour, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil - then rested in the fridge for 15 mins) this evening, stuffed with sundried tomato and meltable mozerella cheezly.

Complete success! I thought i'd made enough for 2 servings, but i ate it all. Eggless dough is fine for using with molds it seems. Gotta experiment with some more interesting things now

SOUNDS WONDERFUL!
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote moochbabe
    SOUNDS WONDERFUL!
    not as wonderful as today's creation

I made up a truffle recipe this afternoon: 2 small bananas (mashed) fried in a tsp of sunflower oil, flambed (incase you missed my profile pic, i'm a pyromaniac) in 2 tbsp brandy and then pureed. Mixed with 100g 70% cocoa chocolate (melted) and 1tbsp soya milk. Refridgerated for a couple of hours before balling and dusting in cocoa.

Using the leftover pasta dough (which i made purposely with sunflower not olive oil) from my lunch (pine nut and lemon pesto ravioli), I made truffle stuffed ravioli for dessert - served hot with vanilla ice-cream.

To hell with dietting

omg, i would eat everything at ur house if we ever met, everything u make always sounds soooo good! lol
    Peace Love Surf.

Default Re: Pasta

I am confused about this too. I didn't realise that pasta could be non vegan until someone told me it is processed using eggs which doesn't need to be stated in the ingredients. Does anyone know if this is true. I generally rely on the site www.isitvegan.info and have noticed that a lot of pasta brands are not listed on there. The pasta I was using states the ingredients as durum wheat and semolina with no mention of additives or egg but this brand is not listed on that website so does that mean it is not vegan? Surely additives and processing aids must be stated by law right?

Quote Gorilla
    is most of the pasta available in America fortified? in the UK most dried pastas are just made from 100% durum wheat (or spelt, rice or other grains in gluten-free versions).
    I am in UK and all the pasta I buy is 100% durum wheat except a |"seeds of change" one with added spinach. If you are having trouble finding one that is not just 100% durum wheat check your shelves in your local natural food store, they will surely have a vegan one.

I have no problems finding one but I'm just wondering why there are some that appear vegan like the one used to buy but don't qualify for entry on isitvegan.info or in The Animal Free shopper. BTW it is dried pasta I'm referring to. I can find no reference to pasta at all in the Animal Free Shopper.

Im still trying to get use to all this vegan stuff... and I love pasta to death... so this is what it says on my pasta box...can anyone tell me if these ingredients are good or bad???

Durum Semolina, Niacin, Ferrous sulfate (iron), Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic acid. Contains Wheat.

?? thanks

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tangerine
    Durum Semolina, Niacin, Ferrous sulfate (iron), Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic acid. Contains Wheat.
    That's a vegan food!

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    That's a vegan food!
    Are you sure? I would have thought some of those additives can be possibly animal derived? What about this possibility of eggs being used as a processing aid and not listed in ingredients. Does no one know anything about this? When I go to my Dads he will be annoyed if I won't eat his pasta so I want to be sure if it is vegan or not.

Quote Maisiepaisie
    Are you sure? I would have thought some of those additives can be possibly animal derived? What about this possibility of eggs being used as a processing aid and not listed in ingredients. Does no one know anything about this? When I go to my Dads he will be annoyed if I won't eat his pasta so I want to be sure if it is vegan or not.
    I've never heard this MaisiePaisie. I think your friend may have been referring to/confused about using eggs in egg pasta or fresh pasta. The other stuff is fine as far as I know. I only get the 100% durum wheat stuff, but then that's not exactly difficult in this country.

Quote Kim[ba]
    I don't understand why the food industry in our country decided to start enriching wheat and grains, and why they choose those specific ingredients to use??
    Personally, I think it's a weird governmental conspiracy to force as much animal product into the american public as possible. Sure, that seems paranoid, but think of all the crap they put in foods that they don't have to. :/
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

Quote SarahM
    Personally, I think it's a weird governmental conspiracy to force as much animal product into the american public as possible. Sure, that seems paranoid, but think of all the crap they put in foods that they don't have to. :/
    I know, isn't it infuriating?! There's definitely a dairy farm related conspiracy in Britain. Almost ALL margarine here has milk or butter or buttermilk or other dairy things in it. Why?! That's not what margarine is supposed to be! I didn't really even think about this until my Canadian friend told me that almost all margarine was vegan in Canada. When I went there though I found it harder to get bread without milk products.

Alas that seems to be spreading over here. More and more bread labels I see now have dairy products in them. I remember trying to find some nice bread in M&S last year...it just wasn't happening.

Please don't let that happen to the pasta

Quote cherry
    I know, isn't it infuriating?! There's definitely a dairy farm related conspiracy in Britain. Almost ALL margarine here has milk or butter or buttermilk or other dairy things in it. Why?!
    It happened in the late 80s/early 90s. You may have noticed they stopped calling them margerine and replaced it with the word spread instead. As far as I know this is because margerine used to be thought of a a poor person's butter, where as now it's common and generally prefered to butter as it's easier to spread. Thus, adding some milk fat to margerine makes it more 'creamy', in the same way that the various oils added to vegan spreads like Pure do. The main ingrediant of "I Can't Beleive It's Not Butter" is, funnily enough butter.

Quote Cherry
    Alas that seems to be spreading over here. More and more bread labels I see now have dairy products in them. I remember trying to find some nice bread in M&S last year...it just wasn't happening.
    I think bread's pretty good in the UK in general, and a lot of speciality breads (including those sometimes which should contain animal products like naan) are vegan too. M&S is a bit of an oddball. They sell mainly to people like my sister who are both lazy and impressed by the words "butter" and "double cream", like it's posher to have those ingrediants and they're eating really good quality junk. Thus M&S put such items in almost everything they sell, even if it's only 1% so they can list "made with butter" on the front.

I always buy Hovis bread because they label it vegan. I don't know why all vegan products can't be labelled as such but I will try to support the companies who have the decency to do this (except for Proctor and Gamble who label their Pringles vegan )

I've started making my own bread now not using the breadmaker. It's easy with a food processor which is essential as I really can't be bothered to knead for hours. I think there is too much sugar and salt in ready made bread.
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Mr Flibble
    As far as I know this is because margerine used to be thought of a a poor person's butter,
    Yeh, it's actually quite funny. My Dad wouldn't allow marg in the house So I only ever had butter and was quite suspicious of margarine right up until I became vegan. He succumbed to advertising in the end and I think he gets olivio now as he's convinced he's Italian...

Quote Mr F.
    The main ingrediant of "I Can't Beleive It's Not Butter" is, funnily enough butter.
    But it isn't butter, so why bother!? It wouldn't have fooled me. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the 'butteriness' is artificial anyway. I think it's for those butter impressed people you mentioned.

Quote MrF
    I think bread's pretty good in the UK in general,.
    I have to disagree Maybe not, but it's definitely getting worse. My mum just bought a load of cheap white and brown rolls for her brother, and I read the hugely long list of ingredients and they had skimmed milk powder and milk proteins and whey and all sorts You're right though, M&S is a bit of a special case. My Uncle got pre-prepared M&S veg for his Christmas dinner - it ALL had butter in it

isnt I Cant Believe its Not Butter made out of whales???

The one here in Canada contains whey (milk byproduct) and animal derived vitamin D3. It could be different in the UK.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tigerlily
    The one here in Canada contains whey (milk byproduct) and animal derived vitamin D3. It could be different in the UK.
    Same for the USA.

Default Mushroom and pesto creamy cheese pasta

i got the idea for this from a TV advert for Philadelphia soft cheese - so of course i used vegan soft cheese instead (take that Kraft! )

Serves 2

10 medium-sized white mushrooms, sliced
    2 tbsp vegan pesto
    2 or 3 tbsp vegan plain soft cheese (i used Tofutti)
    175g wholegrain pasta (e.g. i used spelt fusilli)
    10 halved cherry tomatoes to garnish

all i did was fry the chopped mushrooms in the pesto - there is plenty of oil already in the pesto so you probably won't need to add any more. after about 5 minutes they were cooked so i added the soft cheese which melted to make a creamy sauce. in the meantime i cooked the pasta, drained and served it covered with the sauce and the halved cherry tomatoes on top.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Default Re: Mushroom and pesto creamy cheese pasta

What's pesto? Can I buy it in the store? The grocery store here has a nice selection of fresh pastas (too bad they have egg) and fresh sauces in the deli aisle...can I find the pesto there?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

most commercial pesto contains cheese. Green pesto is basically a handful of fresh basil finely chopped, a handful of pine nuts and cashews crushed, a drizle of olive oil and a drizle of wine vinegar. Red pesto is the same with tomato (such as finely chopped sundried tomato). Chesse in commercial products generally only accounts for about 1% and doesn't majorly impact the taste without it, which mainly comes from the basil.

Pretty easy just to make some up in a blender too.

i used a ready-made vegan pesto from Zest but it's quite expensive. it may only be available in the UK but it is really easy to make your own. i should've specified, i used green pesto for this recipe.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

That sounds really nice Gorilla. Its a shame i am the only one in the house who likes mushrooms, no point cooking it for one

I think I'd like to give it a try. Sounds simple and tastey. So far I haven't found vegan pesto in the US. Luckily for me it is quick and easy to make. I'm always looking for more mushroom recipes!

Default Pasta a la Sausiche

I ate a meal at a local vegetarian restaurant that I *had* to try to make at home. They used a vegan sausage that was different (it was more like a hard sausage) but the overall taste was much the same (and they used a different name):

1 1/3 cup dry rigatoni (cook per instructions to al dente and drain)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, finely minced
    3 Portobella mushroom caps (diced)
    1/2 package vegan sausage. (I used Gimme Lean sausage style)
    red pepper flakes to taste
    1 TBS fresh lemon juice
    Salt and pepper

Heat oilve oil, red pepper flakes and garlic in large sauce pan on medium heat. When oil is hot, drop small amounts of the sausage (I made mine about 1/2 to 1 tsp in size) into the oil. Salt and pepper the sausage (you could leave out the salt....I just like salt). Fry until the sausage is brown on all sides. Add mushrooms and cook until the are barely cooked (longer if you like mushier mushrooms). Add rigatoni and toss. Cook together covered for about 3 minutes. Turn off heat and toss with lemon juice.

Makes 2 heavenly servings.

Default Re: Pasta a la Sausiche

mmmm....that sounds so yummy!!!! I have to try that! I may toss in some kale too though. Just think the color would be pretty????

I actually had Kale on the side with this dish. I think that it would be great served on a bed of Kale. Darn....I wish I had some for lunch....

This recipe is similar to Seva's "Pasta alla Bosca" if you have ever had it. We had dinner out (we eat out every month or so) at Seva last weekend and that is what I had...well, i had half of it since my hubby decided he liked my plate better. I figured that I should figure out how to make it at home since both of us liked it so much. The one at Seva didn't come with a side of veggies, though. But I served mine at home with Kale and baked beets.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote KarmaGirl
    I actually had Kale on the side with this dish.
    It sounds great! I make a dish with all those ingredients plus capers, fresh basil leaves, fresh chopped tomatoes, vegan parmesean and nutritional yeast

there's some great vegan pesto called Florentino but i can't find it in the shops any more, they do have an online shop here: www.frylight.co.uk/sales.html they will ship overseas but they say "Due to widely varying delivery charges, please place your order in the normal manner (as if it were for UK delivery) - we will contact you with payment details for the remainder of the shipping costs." they also make vegan parmesan wich is yummy

www.veganstore.co.uk/sauces_index.html also has vegan pesto if anybody's interested

Puffin my boyfriend isn't too keen on mushrooms but he does tolerate them occasionally

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Mr Flibble
    most commercial pesto contains cheese. Green pesto is basically a handful of fresh basil finely chopped, a handful of pine nuts and cashews crushed, a drizle of olive oil and a drizle of wine vinegar. Red pesto is the same with tomato (such as finely chopped sundried tomato).
    Mr Flibble, I certainly like basil/nut combinations and make many different sauces/dips like this but I have never seen commercially-available "Pesto" with cashews and WHINE vinegar in the USA...it usually has parmesean, pinenuts, olive oil, basil leaves, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and assorted spices and that's how I make mine when traditional pesto is desired (with vegan parmesean, obviously ).

Maybe the combination of cashews and red wine make for the cheese?

i didn't say [b[red[/b] wine vinegar

Cashews are in a lot of commercial ones here, but i don't think they're traditional. They certainly do work thou, so i chuck em in

When just cooking for myself and don't care so much about presentation, i put balsamic in green pesto. It really works, but looks a bit dodgy

I'm not so bothered about cheese replacement as i don't think it needs it. I'm also not a great fan of lemon juice in it, but just a personal preference

All right, all right.....btw, your killing me with all those chocolate desert attachments. Personally I wouldn't waste the balsamic in a pesto...tooooo darn expensive. I just wrung my last drop of balsamic and am suggesting to friends that they go together and get me another bottle for my birthday.

Mmmmm - thanks for the recipe Gorilla! It sounds rich and yummy!

Exactly what is a caper and where does it come from? I mean I know they are these salty little green things but ?????

Quote Jane M
    Exactly what is a caper and where does it come from? I mean I know they are these salty little green things but ?????
    They are pickled Caper flower buds. I've never really liked them even though I'm a salt freak.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Mr Flibble
    i didn't say [b[red[/b] wine vinegar
    DULY noted

As an alternative to the parmesan in pesto recipes, you might also consider using a touch of miso paste. It provides the same saltiness and--depending on your brand of miso--a touch of cheesiness as well. (I like West Brae's miso.)
    If at first you don't succeed, laugh as you set it ablaze!

ConsciousCuisine

Yes, miso contributes the salty, "pungent" flavor and aroma that gives pesto a more full flavor