Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Using old leather and other non-vegan products

Default Need advice: what do I do with my old leather clothes...?

Hi.
    When I was young (and clueless) I had a thing for leather. I'm ashamed of how insensitive I was back then.
    I've been cleaning out my attic and came across all of the leather and don't know what to do with it. I need help/advice from my vegan friends.

I don't know if I should keep it, donate it, sell it (and donate the money to an animal sanctuary), trash it...argh.

It's been something that I've been struggling with for several weeks now.

What would you do?

Regards.
    -Rebecca
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 4th, 2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Need advice: what do I do with my old leather clothes...?

Hi, bexter... I'm from LA too, and I can advice you to go to "Buffalo Exhange" (there's one on LaBrea and third, I believe) or "Crossroads" vintage stores to try to sell your leather stuff. The items must be in good condition and in style (something that a fashionable person would wear). I sold some clothes there last week and got 20 bucks for a few shirts!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Default Re: Using old non-vegan products

Thanks Kriz. I'll check it out. The stuff is in good shape - kinda retro (80 metal era), but seeing as things just keep on coming back in style...

I've been having a hard time thinking/deciding on what to do with all my "pre-vegan" products as well...

*** All belts, sandals, and my regular running shoes that I THINK have leather in them (Nike and KSWISS have been a rather headache trying to figure out if each individual shoe they make does/does not have any leather in it)
    *** A blanket/comforter that is made up of feathers I believe...come to think of it, don't most of my pillows have feathers in them too???

I'm currently trying to go vegan after about a month of veggie so still have a lot of vegetarian items in my place (milk, cheese)...Also, I'm a college student that works in a college dining hall, thus practically no vegan things to speak of, other than salads 24/7. I do have some other options, but I think it's smart to ease into being vegan while I'm out in public and not look at every ingredient in the breads at work and such, etc. (especially with very little selection at a college) while attempting to be completely vegan at home. I've read the arguments about what to do with old non-vegan objects, and each way makes sense to me (use until we can discard ourselves/sell and donate money/give to friends and family, etc), just not sure which to impose...only more time and knowledge will tell I guess

i have the most beautiful patterned dress, it doesnt even look like wool but apparently has 20% wool or something. and i had it two years before even going veggie, and just cant bring myself to give it away.. in my justification, its not very woolified, so is hardly encouraging others to wear wool, and also not contributing to further animal suffering.. i kind of agree that as long as you dont buy further animal stuff, you're not going against your vegan principles

sprite1986

I'm honestly of the opinion that you should make best use of an item until it wears out. There's no point throwing it away. As regards the pillow, it depends what you're comfortable with, as I'm sure these probably won't wear out in due course! Maybe sell/give them away? It's up to you.

Welldone on your month of vegetarianism, and it's fantastic that you've decided to go the whole way and switch to being vegan. You honestly just have to do what you're comfortable with, and feels right. You're your own judge. Just try and avoid animal products as best you can, that's all anyone can ask of you.

I hope this post has actually been of some help, and it doesn't sound too cliched! Haha.

Quote TzevY21 View Post

I'm currently trying to go vegan after about a month of veggie so still have a lot of vegetarian items in my place (milk, cheese)...Also, I'm a college student that works in a college dining hall, thus practically no vegan things to speak of, other than salads 24/7. I do have some other options, but I think it's smart to ease into being vegan while I'm out in public and not look at every ingredient in the breads at work and such, etc. (especially with very little selection at a college) while attempting to be completely vegan at home.
    I went the same way and eventually stopped eating things that I came to know where not vegan.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I think that there is no point in being wasteful (we don't all have lots of money). I threw away 2 pairs of leather shoes as I couldn't handle the idea of leather any more(I have small feet so no one to give them too). But I have some jumpers and a few house hold goods that need using up that I hadn't even thought of as being 'bad' before going vegan (I always bought non animal tested make up etc).

I know several people who never throw away ANYTHING - they think it is wasteful. In fact some of them eat whatever is on their plates, rather than get rid of it. In other words they become their own garbage bins.

It's true we don't have much money - I live on an aged pension and pay rent - but there's no way that I'll use old leather handbags just because they are there. I have a good relationship with my garbage bin; accumulating things is just not my scene. Some of you could try it.
    Eve

Perhaps over time, but if I threw all my leather shoes away today, I couldn't afford to go and replace them all tomorrow. As they wear out, I replace them.

Yeah, this is definitely an issue. I have a crapload of stuff that I LOVED before I went veggie and I didn't even think about the fact that there might be leather in it, because even then I made a point not to wear leather and stuff but sometimes I never even thought about it. I feel really guilty but I still wear the belt sometimes because my pants don't stay up. It was like fifty bucks so I don't want to just throw it away. I also have a feather mattress, comforter, and pillows that I got from my granny who's had them for years and years and years. I don't have the money to go get new stuff, plus there's a lot of sentimental attachment in them. I don't plan on getting rid of my bedclothes because of this, so I guess I agree with what everyone else is saying. Might as well use these things up until you can't anymore so at least it's going to good use.
    I don't have any fur, but if I did I'd give that up to that place where they give the fur coats to baby animals.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Here's my suggestion.

1. Dig a deep hole.
    2. Put your leather item in it.
    3. Fill hole with earth and give the poor corpse the buriel it deserves!

I wouldn't wear human leather so why would it ever be ok to parade in that of a non human creature?

Moonharvester

Don't you think that it should be used up, or at the very least donated. Instead of just putting the animals life in vain.

heat13

I just gave bags of food to a local group home.

heat13

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    Yeah, this is definitely an issue. I have a crapload of stuff that I LOVED before I went veggie and I didn't even think about the fact that there might be leather in it, because even then I made a point not to wear leather and stuff but sometimes I never even thought about it. I feel really guilty but I still wear the belt sometimes because my pants don't stay up. It was like fifty bucks so I don't want to just throw it away. I also have a feather mattress, comforter, and pillows that I got from my granny who's had them for years and years and years. I don't have the money to go get new stuff, plus there's a lot of sentimental attachment in them. I don't plan on getting rid of my bedclothes because of this, so I guess I agree with what everyone else is saying. Might as well use these things up until you can't anymore so at least it's going to good use.
    I don't have any fur, but if I did I'd give that up to that place where they give the fur coats to baby animals.
    baby animals.[/quote]
    Yes, I totally agree!
    I think it's all about what you can comfortably do! Don't try to make dramatic changes that would totally hurt you financially. I don't think that is what it is about. Small changes= big difference! Think of what you are doing that is already making a HUGE impact!

I feel that if I had some animal product at my house already, throwing it out wouldn't make a difference. If I had a leather jacket, I'd keep it because I know some poor animal died for it and throwing it out would be disrespectful. Or I'd give it away.

I finished up all my non vegan shampoos and soaps after i became vegan, and never bought them again.

Prawnil

I have one leather item left, and it's functional. I think one left, anyway.

This is a long shot, but I wondered if anyone passing by this has ever seen, or knows of, razor Strops that are not made of leather. Or of linen or canvas fine strops that don't have the obligatory leather side. Or even imitation leather strops.
    I probably won't have to replace it in my lifetime, but I would prefer to switch to fleshless, of course.

Quote SarcasticCookie View Post
    ... If I had a leather jacket, I'd keep it because I know some poor animal died for it and throwing it out would be disrespectful. Or I'd give it away.
    Hello sarcastic - like the dead animal would think you are being disrespectful? The animal did not 'die for it' the animal was killed. I prefer the suggestion of digging a hole and burying it.
    Eve

I go with Treehugga's suggestion........bury it.

Years ago I suggested the same thing to the question 'If everyone turned vegan overnight what should we do with all the meat?'
    In a room filled with omni's, everyone found my answer hilarious.

However - I still think it is the correct answer.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

Why not give it to someone who thinks an animal's skin is a suitable clothing material?
    I gave away all my non vegan stuff all at once almost 20 years ago and just went without until I could replace it with vegan versions.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Returned!

I dunno guys. I only have one leather item: a pair of old sneaker/shoes that I've had for about four years. All my other shoes are synthetic and I don't wear any other leather/fur/wool.

However, I still have the shoes. One, they're a good pair of shoes and they're holding up well, and throwing away a useful item kinda goes against the reuse-reduce-recycle mindset - which I'd certianly think a lot of vegans shared.

Also, I need them for work (I work in a candy packing factory and leather shoes are required. Why? I don't know. But it specifies LEATHER shoes, not just tennis or walking shoes or sneakers).

Am I a bad person? I only wear them when I need to (ie, work, or work-related anything) and I'm much happier in my awesome synthetic army boots or synthetic sandals (which I need to replace, they're broken pretty badly, meh!), but I mean, should I just toss these and buy a look-alike and lie and say they are leather?

I really doubt my boss would be alright with a change from the mandated dress code, vegan or not. :/

(and for anyone who is about to suggest I quit - don't. please. I can't afford to quit a job over shoes. or anything, for that matter. I'm sorry. Surviving comes before ethics, and I need the money to survive.)

I doubt the leather bit is important, by saying leather shoes I think they're just trying to say "normal looking shoes"
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Yes.
    If you can afford it, I'm sure that a pair of shoes that appear to be made of leather will suffice.
    You'll feel happier about it too....so toss the old ones and lie!
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Returned!

Well, I would indeed feel better if I could wear some non leather shoes, I even have some synthetic non-skid shoes from a previous job.. -bites lip-

But I just don't know if it's right to just toss them away. Do you think Goodwill would accept them?

I've just finished Vegan Freak and they make a very good point re wearing your leather goods until they wear out. As soon as I mentioned I was vegan to my mother, she immediately scanned me for leather! And unfortunately for me, I hadn't really thought about leather at that point in my new found veganism so there I was wearing leather shoes (which I had bought off Ebay second hand but still) and she proceeded to give me that look meat-eaters give you when they think they've won - you know the one.

Vegan Freak makes the point that wearing leather will only give confused signals regarding your veganism, but throwing out old leather is wasteful - I'm going with the selling it all on Ebay and donating the money to an AR org - any suggestions which one?

Quote Laura-Louise View Post
    I'm going with the selling it all on Ebay and donating the money to an AR org - any suggestions which one?
    I really like that idea, and I feel like that would be the best option.

I'd hate for someone to just throw it out, burying it seems respectful at least, but donating it, or selling it and giving the money to charity is an awesome idea.

I don't have any suggestions as to which one, though.

Default Re: ecological leather

Quote Hasha View Post
    I'm such an idiot. I really thought that ecological leather wasn't leather. You know, just as gardenburgers are not from meat. Yeah, right. I just found this web site about how their (ecological) leather comes from animals that are slaughtered for their meat and not for their skin. Argh! The thing is that when I bought those shoes, I specifically asked the assistant if they were leather, and she said that no, they are ecological leather. So I assumed... Fine. My mother can wear them if she wants, but I'm never putting them on again. And from now on, I'm only buying shoes online!
    I have to say, yes leather is wrong, however, I also agree with the American Indians point of view that out of respect for the animal that was slaughtered, one should use every single part of the animal, and let none go to waste. Now with that said, I think if one were to wear leather, the ecological leather would be the best choice, since as the sales person said, they are killed for meat, and not just their skin, thus they are recycling a useful item. Don't get me wrong though, I disagree with the slaughter of any animal, however it still does take place, and since you already bought them, you could wear them out of respect for the animal, since it was sacrificed, and the last thing you want to do at this point is let them go to waste. I know if I was killed senselessly, I would want some kind of good to come out of it. Hopefully thats a different (helpful??) perspective?

Call me cynical, but "their (ecological) leather comes from animals that are slaughtered for their meat and not for their skin" sounds like a clever marketing ploy and pretty unlikely; as far as I'm aware the leather industry is an industry in itself, not just a by-product of the meat industry. When buying shoes it's probably best to check the label which tells you the various materials which go to make up the shoe, I'd trust that more than a shop assistant! I'm really sorry about your experience, it's horrible to be tricked like that.

As for respecting the animal, at least the American Indians only killed the number of animals necessary for their own survival, unlike our modern intensive farming techniques. For me we could better show respect towards the animals by not killing them in the first place.

I'm using up the shampoo, sun screen etc that I bought pre vegan that don't contain animal products but were tested on animals. If they contained animal products then I woudn't use them.
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Default Re: Using old leather and other non-vegan products

I couldn't afford to chuck out all my leather skate shoes and buy new pairs when i became vegan so i wore them.

Yes i felt guilty, but a part of me also felt like they were a reminder and that by wearing out those leather shoes trying to change the lives of the animals who died for it had a sweet irony to it. I still felt guilty.

On a deeper level i felt it was disrespectful to fight for their rights and then just turn around and toss away what they suffered for; What i'd already paid for them to suffer for. Giving them away/donating is a great idea.

Regarding cosmetics/etc. On my first Veganisation i threw out/refused to use ANYTHING that i had before. I was around 15 at the time and would make sure my washing up was done in just warm water if the washing up liquid was tested on animals and my mother was washing up.

When i went Vegan the second time (after slipping back to being veggie) i was a bit more "broke" being at uni and all, so a few "essentials" (pfft) i used up, the rest i gave away.
    "Slice it up and dig in.. let the funeral begin.."

SusieDerkins

Hey everybody,

I often hear people saying you can’t be vegetarian/vegan and in the same time do this or that. I think this is just a very sad and cynical excuse for people not to make any changes (positive) in their lifestyle. I am sure that people who became vegan (no matter if they became one because of the health issues or the ethical reasons or combined) and by doing so made a first step in contributing to more healthier, less harming and peaceful environment will continue with further positive changes in their lifestyle. I am just not fan of the extremes; therefore I do not think it is wise to make any drastic changes in your life immediately, but rather to take one step at a time. In that way you will be able to really learn from the process and to really understand why each of the steps you take and decisions you make (whow a rhyme) is important to you (and then as a chain reaction to everybody else). To conclude, I wouldn't be to harsh to the people who are still using old leather clothes or the non-vegan products.

Sorry for any existing grammar errors but I hope you understood me
    Cheers from Croatia!

I'll use and of the things I already own until they're worn out [leather boots, wool shirts and jackets] and replace them with vegan things as they do.

I've thought about it and to me [at this point anyway and my view on it may change tomorrow] it would feel disrespectful to just get rid of those things now.

patientia

I do the same and am sometimes called a hypocrite by meateaters.

When I turned vegetarian, anything like leather etc was gotten rid of completely. Either to the charity shop, my sister/mum, or just the bin if it wasn't in good enough condition to be reused. There wasn't a lot of it, but I felt that from becoming vegetarian the way I thought had completely changed, and I couldn't see things in the same way. Like leather shoes we'ren't leather shoes to me anymore, they were just a dead animal's skin, which made me feel heart broken. Over the course of being vegetarian, and now vegan, I've made the occasional slip up with companies' products being tested on animals, or presents being bought for me like wool scarfs, but I always give the present away to either a family member who wants it or the charity shop. I like the idea of selling stuff and giving the money to an AR charity though.
    I do totally understand where people come from though when they say that they hold onto the products until they are no longer useable, because to be fair, the money has already been put into the industries pockets, and the death and suffering of the animal would really be for nothing if it were just thrown away.
    Although I'm not sure if people should say they're vegan if they're wearing leather, just because of the impression it gives. Or maybe explaining all the reasons we've said here as to why you're still wearing them may make people understand a bit better.

If you can't afford to buy new shoes or boots, then keep them until you can, but if you don't absolutely have to wear a corpse then definately get rid of it, bury it as has been suggested and do a little cleansing ritual for yours elf, you shall feel amazing, like a great weight has been lifted off you and you shall never ever regret it
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

patientia

That would have only symbolic meaning. I still have one pair of leather shoes, but if I were able to afford new ones, I would give them to a charity, not bury them.

I'm of the "use it up, then replace it vegan" viewpoint. If a person can afford to get rid of and replace as they'd like, then that's great; but for many that can be exceedingly difficult and expensive.

I try to keep it to a minimum, but I do believe it is ok to continue to wear and/or give away your non vegan things in the beginning. I am still ''transitioning'' you could say, as even though I haven't eaten any animal products in a while I still have a leather jacket in my closet (I hardly use it though) make up and, especially shoes. I can't even figure out if most of them are leather, as I never though about it before. Like most people say, just to stop consuming/buying non vegan clothing and shoes is more than fine, what you already have is well, already bought/given to you.