Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Using old leather and other non-vegan products

Jobey

Whilst not a strict vegan (yet) Ive always been vegie and have avoided leather and other animal products as much as possible. I am sitting on a leather chair right now however. My mums work were throwing it away and its perfectly good so I grabbed it, Id rather not have it but seeing as it was going into the skip and eventually incinerated or chucked in landfill I dont feel too guilty about it.

Clothing at first, was an issue for me. My brand new jacket that I bought right before becoming vegan is down filled (feather stuffed). I didn't know that at the time and when I did, I felt horrible. But the store had a FINAL SALE policy so I couldn't do anything about it. Next year my winter jacket is going to be synthetic. My shoes are leather. I bought them in the summer and right now I don't have a lot of money so I'm going to wear them until they wear out so I can buy nice synthetic kinds. I got rid of my leather belts (they needed to be replaced anyway) and I started using my plastic and canvas material belts again.

Soaps and shampoos. Ah. I have replaced my soaps and I recently bought some Aubrey Organics vegan shampoo. I have VERY VERY umanagble and dry kinky curly hair. My hair products like leave in conditioners and gels aren't vegan but some aren't tested on animals which is a step in the right direction. I can't buy online and I don't really know what vegan hair products I can use. I might just stick with the ones that are at least not tested on animals for now until I figure something out.

Someday, like when I move out on my own and start making money, I want become 100% cruetly free and enviromentally friendly. I'll buy organic and eco-friendly soaps and cleaning products, fresh organic produce with my own little garden too....everything. Right now, living in an omni home, little things like that are hard to control especially when you have no money and you're family doesn't care too much for "compasionate" things.

I think some benefits to being vegan are less bad cholesterol (if any at all), a more ethical lifestyle, less saturated fat (bad fat)... there are so many healthy aspects to being vegan, granted you get the proper nutrition and supplements.

I'd love to chat further... if you're interested in health benefits... I know everyone is more concerned with the leather, clothing issue... but there are definitely nutrition issues related to being vegan. Organic is a big must; because if all you are eating is a plant-based diet, you don't want to take in all those pesticides...
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

Have a read of as many other threads Camyle26, and use the search for a certain topic. Chances are what you wanna talk about, is here somewhere and can always be added to.

Tx
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

I still have a leather pair of winter boots and a winter jacket which has wool in it, but I did get rid of all my leather handbags/belts to the charity shop and I am getting vegan 'beauty' products as mine run out (cosmetics mostly, I have always tried to have cruelty free creams, soaps etc) I do agree with a previous post that mentioned that the animal died for the goods to be made so don't let it have died in vain and wear the stuff until it is totally worn out and then don't buy any more!

I do wish I lived nearer a vegan shoe shop though 'cos I don't want to buy on line in case they don't fit and the 'cheapy' shoes don't really last . Maybe next time I go to Brighton I will treat myself to a couple of pairs

Quote Aurora
    Maybe next time I go to Brighton I will treat myself to a couple of pairs
    And meet a gorilla perhaps.

That would be nice! As longs as it's the one from the forum

VitaminB

Default If you have fur and leather.....

I am a vegan for the most part except once in a while when I have to eat cheese in order to eat(I have to eat at a college dining center so it is harder for me than most people...long and horrific story). Anyways, I have some leather and one peice of fur clothing....i am not sure what i should do about it when i finally make the final leap into strict veganism. so about those peices of death......what should i do? Should i keep it and put it to it's full usage? I have though about burying it as though I was giving the animal a proper burial. I think it would be a waste if i threw the stuff away because other people who are less fortunate could use it and because then the animal died for literally nothing. i just dont want to tell people i am vegan and then look like a hypocrit for wearing skin and hair! so guys....give me your advice. you all seem hip and pretty idealistic when it comes to issues so i would love to hear your lovely opinions. Thanks!

Peace, Court
    p.s. i am new!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 22nd, 2005 at 06:46 AM. Reason: This post was from another thread on the same topic

Default Re: If you have fur and leather.....

If the fur is a full fur coat instead of something that had fur on it, you can donate it to PETA and they give them to the homeless. The rest I would suggest donating. Others can get a good use of them and you don't have to be bothered with the idea of having it around.

I have one pair of walking shoes that are over 15 years old and from my pre-vego days, and are leather. All the others I replaced and dispensed with as they either wore out or I felt uncomfortable using them.

Obviously the choice is yours and you should do what feels best by your conscience. There is the issue of passive promotion of fur by using it, and sometimes people will question you about what you are using. The important thing is that you aren't increasing the demand by replacing with animal products and also you will probbly feel better for it when the last leather/fur things are gone.

Welcome to the forum! You have my sympathy as I was vegan at the age of 17 when my parents sent me to boarding school and my food choices were limited to a nutritionally unbalanced vegan option or the vegetarian offerings. It was uncomfortable but the first six months of veganism went by the wayside while I had little control of my diet for the next few years. I went mainly vegan when I left school and was able to look after my own diet choices until I became a committed vegan.

Don't beat yourself up about it; but you can look at the options and suggest to your college diner some healthy easy vegan alternatives. I wish I knew what I do now so that I could have done it way back when I was in school.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Welcome, VitaminB

Perhaps you should not wear it, for your conscious and to avoid giving mixed signals. (But please don't go to class without any shoes...or naked! )

Maybe consider if what you would give to the homeless is pricey. A very dear friend of mine heads up a ministry which helps the homeless, and she use to be homeless herself. She told me that if it's something expensive, some will not use it except to sell it for drug money. IF that were to happen, I don't think it would be the good offering you intended.

If it's expensive, maybe give it to an omni relative? Or maybe sell it and give the money to your favorite animal rights group?

If it's not pricey, I would give it for the poor.

imo

I have a couple things that don't meet the vegan standerds from my pre-vegan day and I will wear them till I can replace them.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

That's what I WAS going to do with my shoes, but I started to be sickened every time I look in my closet. There are actually one pair of RenFest costume boots I have yet to sell. I think I will list them on Ebay. The reason I've had them so long is that I didn't like looking at them, so they've been in the back of a storage closet, so I kept forgetting to sell them.

Welcome VitaminB.

I got rid of all my non-vegan stuff pretty well straight away except for a couple of things like my dog's woollen blankets which I had to find a replacement for first (but since she was still eating non-vegan food at the time it seemed a bit silly!). I had been getting rid of leather gear from the time I turned veggie so that was no big deal. I donated my stuff to charities.
    A bit rattled

tails4wagging

My leather shoes I either dumped, or gave them to a charity shop. Never owned fur.

The only wool thing I have is an old woolly cardigan that an elderly aunt made. For sentimental reasons I wear it at times. But when thats gone thats it, no more animal clothing in my wardrobe..

I would suggest burning the fur coat!?

Quote tails4wagging
    I would suggest burning the fur coat!?
    A very tempting idea, though not very environmentally friendly?!
    A bit rattled

tails4wagging

Give it to your dragon Cal!!!! .

Best then to bury it!!.

I have wide feet with problems (ingrown toenails, etc), and have worn nothing but Birkenstocks since I bought my first pair a year ago. The only problem is, most of them have either leather tops or suede liners or both. The two pair I had were both leather uppers and suede liners.

I had to go shopping for shoes because the soles of one pair of my Birkenstocks were worn down and I had to get them resoled. (They won't be fixed until May 1). I had to have a pair of shoes to wear while they were in the repair shop being resoled. I tried on the non-leather shoes at the Birkenstock store, but the ones that fit me best and were most appropriate for work dress were a pair of sandals that were synthetic patent leather uppers, but suede liner. So I got them. I did the best I could.

So I tried. Next time, I'll get online and see if I can get any totally synthetic Birkenstock's that are a good style for me, but I just didn't have the time to wait for them to come in this time. My soles of my old shoes were about worn down to the cork, and I didn't want it to wear to the cork and ruin the shoes.

I have no fur, and the only leather I have is my shoes and my purse (purse bought pre-vegan). I'll keep the purse until it falls apart, and then I'll get a Vy & Elle purse. I'm a vegan for environmental reasons, so to me it is wasteful to throw away a leather purse just so I can carry a non-vegan one. But, trust me when I say this, I think about the animal that the leather came from every time I pick up my purse. I may get to the point where I can't bear to carry the purse anymore.

Default Second hand wool

What's everyone's opinion on second hand wool?

Next year, I'm going to need a new jacket and I would like to get a more stylish, double breasted type jacket that mainly comes in a wool blend.

What's your opinion on buying this second hand and does anyone know where I can get a jacket like this made from polyester/cotton/etc?
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 27th, 2005 at 07:21 AM. Reason: This post was from another thread on a similar topic

Melina

Default vegan?

I started eating vegan about 3 weeks ago. But I guess I am not a vegan because I am still wearing my old shoes which have leather in them and the expensive leather jacket my husband bought me a few months ago. And while I plan to do my best from now on to buy only vegan cosmetics & shoes in the future, I am still finishing off my old shampoos and using my old make-up which is not vegan. The change in my diet occured when I realized that I do not support cruelty towards animals and I must reflect this in my actions. So should I throw away the shampoos and mascara and shoes and get rid of the jacket and then go out and buy everything new? Have any of you been in a situation like this? What did you do?
    Last edited by Korn; May 19th, 2005 at 09:53 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

tails4wagging

Default Re: vegan?

I only have one old wool cardigan that has sentimental value, when thats gone, its gone. I have thrown away all other leather goods. My make up is cruelty free and has been for years.

melina - I'm in the same boat as you just a bit further along. I've been vegan for roughly 3-4 months? And I still have products that I have to use up. My indoor soccer shoes have leather and I still have my old make-up. My take on it is that since you've already aquired these things prior to become vegan then go ahead and use them up but just dont replenish them in the future. I'm a little wishy-washy on the leather jacket though. Its a pretty large piece of clothing that stands out. You might run into some people who dont take you seriously as a vegan while you wear it or you might send the wrong message about veganism. Its a personal choice though. Personally the smell of leather grosses me out. Uck.
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

I think you should use all your old products, clothing, shoes, etc. until you would normally throw them away. That is much more environmentally sound than replacing everything right now. The jacket is up to you. If you can give it as a gift or to a charity - great. If it would hurt your husband's feelings, then maybe you wear it to places that the vegan police don't attend.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Seaside

I can't remember where it is, because I think it has been moved, or merged, or something, but there is a thread on just this subject, ie what to do with your non-vegan personal care and clothing items. I can't remember the title, though.

I agree with Dianecrna. I did take a couple of woolly things to the charity shop when I became vegan, but even though I have been vegan for over 4 years I still have a pair of leather walking boots and a pair of leather shoes. I would still consider myself to be vegan though, even when I'm in the shoes. I think that it's far better environmentally to wear them out and then replace them with synthetic boots/shoes. I am a little concerned about the impression that it gives others, but in my experience no-one actually notices, and if they do I tell them I don't buy leather anymore. I console myself with the knowledge that every time I wear leather that I am actually thinking about it at all and not taking it for granted.

Geoff

Quote Seaside
    I can't remember where it is, because I think it has been moved, or merged, or something, but there is a thread on just this subject, ie what to do with your non-vegan personal care and clothing items. I can't remember the title, though.
    You wanna join me at the Alzheimers Support Group, Seaside?

Seaside

Why, yes, I'd love to, Bob,.......uh, I mean Joe, er........?

Seaside

Thanks for that link, gertvegan!

Melina

Thanks very much people. For the link... sorry I started a new thread without finding the already existing one first! I'm going to use up the stuff that I have. About the jacket, I'm undecided. I do not feel good wearing it. We'll see. I'm going to do what feels right, I just don't know what is right yet!

cross barer

you could always give the jacket a decent burial, more than the rest of the animal would have gotten.
    I don't think you can be vegan for a long time before the idea of wearing something like that would become unappealing to you. You've got to take into consideration that veganism is not a diet, it's a lifestyle; and how strictly you adhere to that lifestyle is something you can only set for yourself. I was ok with wearing my leather work boots until I had enough money to buy the extra special vegan ones, that I had custom made (and cost me one arm, both legs and a nugget).

Ouch! That nugget must have hurt.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I know a friend who got $10,000 for his nugget. Honest. For research I believe.
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

Is a nuggett a testicle?

cross barer

yes,
    really?
    and yes.

Default Re: Using old/second hand products (leather, wool etc)

I bought some nice smart vegan shoes the other day so I don't need my leather ones anymore. They're completely worn out and have been giving me blisters for ages. Next week I'm going to leave them out for the nice recycling people to take them away. No one can wear them in their present state so perhaps they'll be broken down and reassembled into something else. I know it's leather, but it might as well be put to some further use. It's better than sending it to a landfill site.

Quote cherry
    I think that it's far better environmentally to wear them out and then replace them with synthetic boots/shoes. I am a little concerned about the impression that it gives others.
    I feel exactly the same. I do not have so many "nasties" as I am allergic to wool and always have avoided leather, but as long as you don`t feel really, really bad about wearing these things I feel you have to think economically, too. I have got one leather jacket with sentimental value and two or three pairs of leather shoes which I will wear as long as they do the job, but in the future, I will take greater care in what to buy.

littleTigercub

I didn't read the whole thread, but I have this same problem. I bought a new car in Sept that has leather seats, and I bought a new couch a year ago that is leather. I would never buy these items again, but I figure the poor cow already died and suffered for my stupidity so I should at least make use of them. We did go through the house, cabinets, fridge, etc.. and we donated all of the the non vergan stuff for the most part. Anyway, that's just what I did. Not sure if it's the right thing, but I think I'm ok with it.

When I turned vegan I sold my leather boots on ebay (I hadn't worn them for years anyway) so I could get some money back on them and I used up or gave away anything else which contained beeswax etc. The only non-vegan item of clothing I have is a wooly cardigan (2nd hand, I think my Gran gave me it) but I rarely wear it. The only reason it's still there is that I'd feel bad binning it and no-one else wants it and it's got dried paint on it so I can't sell it. I keep it for 'emergencies' as we have no central heating yet and it gets unbelievably cold at times.

If anyone knows where I could get a nice vegan 'wooly' thing to keep me warm then please let me know

By the way, what is that 'ecological leather' all about? I don't get it. If the animal is killed for it's meat rather than just for it's skin, then couldn't you say that about most commercially produced leather? After all, the usual pro-leather argument is that it's just a by-product of the meat industry, surely there aren't many animals that are killed only for their hide and the rest left to waste?

Seems a bit of a false statement to me, not to mention the fact that leather is not a by-product anyway - it makes up about 10% of the total profit from the animal's corpse and helps to subsidise the meat industry. I just can't understand how any commercially produced leather could be classed as 'ecological', implying that it's cruelty free!

I personally don't wear any leather as it makes me uncomfortable, but I can understand other people's reasons for wearing 2nd hand stuff.

I've bought some vegan leather boots before which have out-lasted any leather ones I've had and I've also found cheap synthetics in ordinary shoe shops (although I don't know what the glues are made of ).

personally, i agree with korn's sentiments on this thread post #7.
    we probably do 'almost as must as is possible' and im ok with that.

what i dont like is seeing lots of 'confessions' by folk to see these followed with 'how you could do it better'. of course there is often a better way but we only can walk in our own shoes no one elses and it saddens me that people feel awkward about saying they still own this or that, or use this or that. thats fine! its where you are now! im sure, in fact i know there are still lots of bits and bobs around that i need to deal with/replace/address but what matters to me is not the timescale or even items, what matters to me is my INTEGRITY with dealing with these issues. i may replace these boots when they wear out but someone else may choose to sell/throw them now and invest in a vegan pair - both are correct - the paths to the end are just different.

when i can, i do and untill then i have my own integrity and conscience to deal with, and that is enough. we shouldnt be made to feel wrong, stupid, un-vegan or uncaring if we are sincerely doing our best with our own situation.

lets encourage not discourage

Here Here!

I still own and wear 3 wool items. A hat, a jumper and cardigan, and thats because my auntie knitted them all for me.

She passed away and i dont like the idea of them being thrown away or going to someone else who wont value them as much. The hat ive actually had since i was a baby, its stretched a lot over the years...
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Mozbee

I won't buy wool, silk or leather and avoided even wearing my old leather shoes for a while but I've had trouble with the vegan pairs I've bought. At the moment I'm wearing 2nd hand shoes c/o my mum!

cross barer

Quote Evilfluffbunny
    By the way, what is that 'ecological leather' all about? I don't get it.
    I know lots of environmental activists who prefer leather rather than microfibre materials as in their opinion they are more harmful to the environment. I found this to be a bit bizzare since cattle farming does massive damage to the environment.

"It takes more than 100 000 litres of water to produce 1 kilogram of beef, and requires 8 times the fossil fuel sourced energy than plant crops need. Farmed animals produce 130 times more fecal waste than humans, which is generally unrecycled and dumped into waterways, causing ammonia, nitrates, phosphates and bacteria levels to increase; and add to global warming by the release of up to 80 million tons of methane into the atmosphere every year."

Paraphrased from Introduction to Animal Rights, Gary Francione, p15-16.
    I've had friendly arguments with these environmental activists over the use of skins from roadkill or other natural deaths. Personally, I think it isn't so bad... but as a vegan:
    Recycled, second hand, roadkill; still an animal skin.

I actually began seeking leather alternatives long before I stopped consuming dairy and cattle byproducts such as gelatine. I have one guitar strap with leather ends attaching the canvas strap to the guitar, but vegan wares sell vegan guitar straps, so it's going to be replaced sooner rather than later!

Mozbee

Quote adam antichrist
    I actually began seeking leather alternatives long before I stopped consuming dairy
    Me too!

essence_uk

Default Re: Using old/second hand leather or wool

Just for those who suggested burning/burying leather goods and the person who suggested that leather is more organic and eco-friendly than synthetic vegan fibres, it's fallacious on both counts.
    Leather undergoes many chemical processes in "tanneries" and is as such riddled with toxins. Luckily for the factories who do this task they often situate next to rivers so they can dump the chemical runoff straight into water supply, facing at most some occasional fines.

So no burying in soil would poison land and burning would poison atmosphere. There really is no good way of disposing of these items but suffice to say once you have you will never do it again, a one time liberation.

I'd personally lean towards selling the items for as much as possible and reinvesting in vegan product/animal rights charities to neutralise the act.

i think it's hard when one is first starting out being vegan, there's so much fear of doing things "the wrong way". i remember when i went vegan, there was so much to keep track of at once. (i went from omni to vegan overnight.) i do still have a few things left from my previous lifestyle but they are only still around 'cause i never wear them. luckily i had no fur or leather coats but i had a lot of wool (i used to live in new hampshire!). btw, if anyone wants vegan warm weather wear suggestions, PM me and i'll tell you my tricks.

re the leather shoes... some of the imitations are SO good that i've looked at friends and gone "no way" and vice versa. i've had to take off my shoes to prove it a few times but if i did have some leather shoes that had survived all this time, i WOULD wear them 'cause unless the shoes have a big nike sign or something, you really can't tell. btw, it feels so good when someone says "i love your shoes" and you get to say that they're cruelty free. same thing with toiletries. why be wasteful? my solution was to overlap so that if something new didn't work, i still had some of the old stuff leftover.

now, the nonveg food, on the other hand... that stuff had to go!

Jo1234

Default questions for my vegan friends

Hello

Would you still say someone is a vegan if they have been vegan for years and since going vegan not brought any animal products or anything but still have a leather sofa? My view is if someone has stayed clear of animal products for years but still have things that are leather but brought these before they went vegan then that person is still vegan because at the end of the day if you chuck out your sofa coat or what ever it’s not going to help the cows now is it? I don’t really see the point in getting rid of something when it’s not going to help anyone or anything now, But I guess it just comes down to individual choice. My self I don’t buy any animal products for years but still have some things that are leather,
    not sofa that was just used as an example above. I still class my self as full vegan well as vegan as anyone can ever be and I think that’s 95% I don’t think anyone in today’s society can be 100% vegan but we can all do our part and together as a team we can make that difference to the lives of the animals. not only do I not buy animal products, but im also trying now to avoid all tested animal products and boycotting the companies who do. also getting more into protesting, done leafleting, and give stick to the company’s that cant label there stuff vegan. that’s one thing that really P me off say, you buy something from the supermarket that is vegan but its not labelled vegan that does get to me because if its vegan why cant the dam companies label it vegan. It saves my time, there time, saves a phone call, and saves all the other vegans out there messing around with a phone call. most of the ones I ring have always come back saying oh well we are very limited on space on the tin. i think that’s just there way of saying they don’t want to label it or they cant be ass two. why cant people see that going vegan is not just about the animals but a lot more about your health as well. after you stop eating all that muck its no doubt your going to feel better eating all that muck and them drugged up birds along with the hormones they are pumped with cant be no good for anyone. no doubt your going to feel loads better, wonder why I feel 100 times better since making that change.

Thanks