Thread: A funny thing happened to me during my lunch

Thumbs up A funny thing happened to me during my lunch

Some of you may know about the Vegan Voice magazin. Well I was looking at the latest issue that came out just the other day and there is an article in it about Ramesh Achar who produces a newsletter and calendar of Vegan & Vegetarian Social Events in and around Sydney. I'd nevefr heard of it.

Anyways I'm on my lunch break from work yesterday (Friday), my partner and I were eating up in our favourite Vegan restraunt, The Sydney Pitt St Vegetarian Yum Cha, and in walks this fellow. I said to my partner "look that's they guy who's photo is in Vegan Voice." She said "Oh yeah I think it is." So I get up and go over to him and say "Is that your photo in the new Vegan Voice" He has a great big smile and laughs and says "I can't believe anyones seen it already, do you want ot come and have dinner tonight."

Turns out that he co-ordinates a monthly dinner for Vegan/Veggies and interested people. So after work we went down to Mother Chu's a chinese vegan place in Pitt St, Sydney, and met a bunch of other people. Some vegan, some veggie and some just trying there best. There were people young and old. We had great food and had a great time. I got the feeling that some of the veggies were inspired that there were vegans about and we were asked many questions about soap, cosmetics and eating out. All nice valid questions seeking answers. But there was talk about lots of other things, previous dinners, movies, shopping, recipies, work, etc.

Anyway we laughed a lot and parted friends. I had a great time. Inspiring. I felt like telling someone about it and who better than you lot?

Antony Vegan

Seaside

Default Re: A funny thing happened to me during my lunch

Sounds like a lovely experience, Antony, and what a gift to just come your way! You were in the right place at the right time. Thanks for sharing!

That's great antony. I noticed the photos of him in Vegan Voice, and he looks such a lovely young man with that big smile. Good interview.
    Eve

cross barer

looks can be deceiving

"you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Ramesh Achar??... he is south Indian origin then. I am pretty sure.. I have some relatives who are Achars. Achars are traditionally vegetarians, and are Bhramins.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

cross barer

Yep he's been vegan his whole life.

He was a funny guy who was intent on having a good time. He kept jumping up and taking photo's. There were a few people who had been to dinner with him many times.

There was no agenda people just ate and spoke.

Antony

Quote eve
    That's great antony. I noticed the photos of him in Vegan Voice, and he looks such a lovely young man with that big smile. Good interview.
    That's the first time i've eaten out with strangers. I had fun.

Antony

It sounds like it was a lot of fun. What a great way to meet some new (potential) friends. I'm very happy for you

Quote Roxy
    It sounds like it was a lot of fun. What a great way to meet some new (potential) friends. I'm very happy for you
    Cool

Antony

"Some vegan, some veggie and some just trying there best. "

i love that!
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essense of inhumanity. George Bernard Shaw

Quote zena
    "Some vegan, some veggie and some just trying there best. "

i love that!
    There was a lady who had only recently come over to the bright side and she was concrned about the dishes with gluten that they might be too reminiscent of meat, she was trying her best, and she made it through.

antony

Well Hello there everyone

I went to another Vegan/Vegetarian social event dinner with the Ramesh Achar

This time we went to Lauries Vegatarian on Bondi Road (Yes near Bondi Beach)

the foods was great and there was lots of it. The place is really popular with people coming for take away continually whilst we were there.

I had a tofu burger with a side salad. It was a great big burger with veggies and stuff as well as the tofu and I had sweet chili sauce.

They had some non vegan desserts (vegan ones also) but almost all the food seemed to be vegan friendly

I had a great time met some new people and got reaquainted with some I met last month. I laughed a lot and some people even laughed at me.

Anyway...

Ramesh advertises the monthly dinner meetings on his newletter which you can recieve if you send him an email at smiles@myplace.net.au

In the newsletter he tell you about other veg*n events occurring around town
    as well as environmental and other events that people mightbe interested in.

They are having a special dinner to celebrate Work Vegan Day but I won't be there as I'll be in Melbourne at the real party WORLD VEGAN DAY and the CRUELTY FREE EXPO, party on garth.

Antony
    Reporting from Sydney Australia, mate.

All sounds good Antony. I remember going to Lauries restaurant with my son, and enjoying their food. Have a great time at celebrations for World Vegan Day and Cruelty Free. I'm leaving home at 5.20am tomorrow to catch the train departing from my town at 6am for Brisbane, then there's a coach to Murwillumbah where a couple of friends who run Vegan Voice will pick me up and take me to Nimbin. This morning my friends at the pool were having fun with me, and suggesting that I'll return next week wearing hippie beads etc!
    Eve

Quote eve
    All sounds good Antony. I remember going to Lauries restaurant with my son, and enjoying their food. Have a great time at celebrations for World Vegan Day and Cruelty Free. I'm leaving home at 5.20am tomorrow to catch the train departing from my town at 6am for Brisbane, then there's a coach to Murwillumbah where a couple of friends who run Vegan Voice will pick me up and take me to Nimbin. This morning my friends at the pool were having fun with me, and suggesting that I'll return next week wearing hippie beads etc!
    Have a good time. I hope you're on holidays. Tell them I think that it's a great magazine. I have been looking at some others from overseas and they are not a patch on it.

See you

Antony

Sounds like you had fun Antony! Have a great time in Nimbin, Eve. Maybe you could bring your friends home some "majical" brownies - just joking!

cross barer

I always picture you in hippy beads Eve

I am in Sydney at present and attended the vegans unite lunch at Tian Ci Vegetarian Restaurant in West Ryde. We had yum cha. YUM CHA!!!!! It was d*fkn*licious.

I met some cool people, Jessica who does the cruelty free shop and many new faces since I left ALNSW as well as some more familiar ones.

We all ate till we were bursting and it was only $13 each. Mmmmmmmm yummmmmm chaaaaaaaaaa.........

LittleNellColumbia

I want something exciting to happen to me during my lunch!

cross barer

eat naked, see what happens

LittleNellColumbia

Quote adam antichrist
    eat naked, see what happens
    LOL Im laughing my ass off right now um yeh, how about that, thats what i was planning to do today! (not)
    I think ppl would just scream and run in the other direction!

cross barer

Quote happycow
    LOL Im laughing my ass off right now um yeh, how about that, thats what i was planning to do today! (not)
    I think ppl would just scream and run in the other direction!
    I know I would, but just so I could tell people to go and look at the naked girl eating vegan tim tams for lunch

Kurmudgeon

Quote adam antichrist
    I always picture you in hippy beads Eve

I am in Sydney at present and attended the vegans unite lunch at Tian Ci Vegetarian Restaurant in West Ryde. We had yum cha. YUM CHA!!!!! It was d*fkn*licious.

I met some cool people, Jessica who does the cruelty free shop and many new faces since I left ALNSW as well as some more familiar ones.

We all ate till we were bursting and it was only $13 each. Mmmmmmmm yummmmmm chaaaaaaaaaa.........
    That was a great day. I've been meeting some wonderful people through VU.

I've been to that restaurant many times it is good isn't it. When is the next VU eating out outing? I'll have to try and make it.

Antony

LittleNellColumbia

Quote adam antichrist
    I know I would, but just so I could tell people to go and look at the naked girl eating vegan tim tams for lunch
    lol, ooh yay i get to be naked and eat Vegan Tim Tams! My dream come true...not! (only in my bath tub)

I wanna come back to Sydney for vacation and have exciting lunches with Adam and Antony!!!

*Disclaimer- this does not involve eating vegan tim tams naked or in a bath tub

Quote Roxy
    I wanna come back to Sydney for vacation and have exciting lunches with Adam and Antony!!!

*Disclaimer- this does not involve eating vegan tim tams naked or in a bath tub
    Well, when you're in town. I won't be naked either.

But you'll bring the vegan tim tams won't you

Quote Roxy
    But you'll bring the vegan tim tams won't you
    a whole box

Goody! Thank you Antony Biscuit.

Quote Roxy
    Goody! Thank you Antony Biscuit.
    No ThankYOU

A wonderful thing happened to me during lunch the other day. After complaining on this forum awhile ago that my workmates were making me feel bad about my vegan beliefs they all brought vegan food to a special lunch we had for another workmate. This was especially for me and although there was all types of food there, the fact that they all made such an effort to bring me special food was wonderful and restored my faith

While I'm hear, can anyone tell simple ol me how to edit my profile? I want to add a photo or picture of at least something more interesting than nothing, but can't for the life of me find where or how

Quote treehugga
    A wonderful thing happened to me during lunch the other day. After complaining on this forum awhile ago that my workmates were making me feel bad about my vegan beliefs they all brought vegan food to a special lunch we had for another workmate. This was especially for me and although there was all types of food there, the fact that they all made such an effort to bring me special food was wonderful and restored my faith

While I'm hear, can anyone tell simple ol me how to edit my profile? I want to add a photo or picture of at least something more interesting than nothing, but can't for the life of me find where or how
    That is fantastic

Now, click on Quick Links on the blue horizontal toolbar

then click on User Control Panel in the list that drops down

then in the left of the screen click on Edit Profile Picture

there you go

Antony

Just got home from Nimbin. Met up with the two wonderful people, Sienna and Max, who create the Vegan Voice print magazine every quarter, and transferred to them, the on-line Vegan Voice website that I've been running for several years. If you check it out, you'll see that they have given it new life - it was looking rather tired! Just click on the url under my signature.
    Eve

Quote eve
    Just got home from Nimbin. Met up with the two wonderful people, Sienna and Max, who create the Vegan Voice print magazine every quarter, and transferred to them, the on-line Vegan Voice website that I've been running for several years. If you check it out, you'll see that they have given it new life - it was looking rather tired! Just click on the url under my signature.
    Web site looks great Eve, are you not looking after it any more?

Hope you had nice weather on your trip

Vegan Voice is the best vegan magazine I've ever read.

Antony

Thanks antony, no, Sienna & Max doing fine. Yes great weather, and I agree that the VV is the best magazine, in fact it's the only vegan print magazine on sale in Australasia.
    Eve

Have you seen Claudette Vaughan's online magazine

http://www.abolitionist-online.com/index.shtml

not sure if you were asking me, antony, or if it was a general question. If you asked me, yes I've seen it but not interested in Vaughan's doings.
    Eve

Thanks for the profile edit advice Antony. Now just need to find a flattering pic hmmm could take some time