Thread: Vegan finding the power to defy docs and disease

Smile Vegan finding the power to defy docs and disease

Dudley Chronicle, published Thursday July 7th (www.expressandstar.com)

One Dudley woman is proving you don’t need meat to keep up your strength. Sarah Jackson, meets Pat Reeves a 59-year-old Powerlifter who has battled ill health for years

STANDING less than five feet tall and weighing around slx-and-a-half stone, Pat Reeves does not fit the Image of the stereotypical weightlifter.

But Pat, from Kingswlnford, Is a former world champion powerlifter who can still lift more than double her body weight.

Pat says: “I began powerlifting 16 years ago. It all started after I took up weightlifting and competed at bodybuilding for a short time.

“I have competed all over the world and done 70 competitions In 15 years. I have not lost a competition yet”

The 59-year-old is currently partway through an amazing attempt to take records in 10 lifting events she is competing at this year.

In addition to once holding the world title, Pat is European champ and has retained the British Masters competition for the last ten years. She recently created a new West Midlands deadlift record.

Pat’s achievements are all the more remarkable considering she has been living with cancer in one form or the other for the past 16 years. She said: "I will power lift until I’m in my coffin.”

"I‘m only going by what I’m being told, but doctors did tell me I wouldn’t see 60."

“Well, my birthday Is In November so I’ll see what happens after that!”

Throughout her Illness, Pat claims to have shunned normal cancer drugs. Instead, she has used numerous alternative therapies coupled with a vegan diet to try and control it.

"I have never had any conventional treatments for my cancer — they all affect your immune system. I believe in healing myself from the inside out. I used to live a ‘normal’ life before. I ate the same rubbish as every one else and did the same things Now I I'm a raw foods person for about 90 per cent of my diet, although I do eat cooked tofu occasionally."

She sprouts much of her food - lentils, nuts, pulses, beans - a process she says serves the food in Its best state and helps strengthen the immune system.

During the past, Pat has also competed numerous sporting events. She has run - and won marathons, competed In triathlon and learned a number of different dance styles to a high standard.

She even became a swimming coach after enrolling her two sons in swimming lessons. Pat says: “I thought to myself that I couldn’t really ask my children to do something I couldn’t do, so while they were having lessons in one pool, I was having lessons in the other. I just carried it on after I had learned and became a coach. When I start something have to carry it on as far as I can."

The superwoman claims to cram so much into her life she only has four hours sleep per night.

“I do meditation twice a day which boosts my energy levels. I don’t sleep any longer than four hours because there is so much I want to do in my life. To me it's a normal life.”

With her positive attitude and philosophy of ‘I love what l do and I do what I love’. Pat has ever reason to be looking forward to 60
    - and beyond.

More info here.

Default Re: Vegan finding the power to defy docs and disease

Thanks Gert.. That is amazing news!!! It is a testimony of how healthy vegans are. Her achivement is truly exceptional. I am gonna have this article printed out for anyone who asks a stupid question like "where do you vegans get nutrients from?"..or "are you not gonna fall sick".?
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

__ __ __ __

www.veganbodybuilding.com

also, did you know the Carl Lewis (Olympian of the Century) is VEGAN.
    And the guy(i forget this name) that holds the weightlifting world record is also vegan...

I found this also:
    http://veggie.org/veggie/famous.veg.athletes.shtml

__
    I've also read articles about research that has been done on vegan endurance vs. omni endurance, and time and time again, seditary vegans have MORE endurance than athletic omnivores!
    that is just so fascinating to me!
    (I've read some articles in Herbivore magazine about this recently as well)

Thanks for the article, Gert!

I also have read about Carl Lewis, but that he is vegan only during training. I guess he considers veganism the optimum training diet rather than the optimum lifestyle. But I'll take my vegans where I can find them!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Gliondrach

I wish Pat Reeves every success in becoming completely well again.

That bloke who holds the world record for weightlifting is a vegan? I saw a link somewhere and asked if he is vegan but I didn't get an answer. It's nice to have it confirmed. Now, we can point to him, Scott Jurek and Pat Reeves, when ignorant people say that vegans are weak or lack energy.

Thanks, Andesuma. And Gert, for the Pat Reeves article. I knew about her but thought that she had retired.

Regards,

Martin.

Kevster

Quote Gliondrach
    Now, we can point to him, Scott Jurek and Pat Reeves, when ignorant people say that vegans are weak or lack energy.
    And *cough* *cough* Fiona Oakes at Tower Hill Stables, our very own elite marathon runner.

(Yaksongs and Fromage)

Stan Price is the bench-press record holder's name, but it looks like he is vegetarian....

Gliondrach

Damn! Yes, he's a vegetarian. Still, he is so strong without meat. I'm sure that I read once that Lasse Viren was vegan when he won his gold medals in middle-distance running. I can't find a reference to this now, though.