Thread: I need to raise my calorie level - lower proteins

Default I need to raise my calorie level - lower proteins

Hi- I'm new to the forum.

Has anyone seen this statement or something similar?

"Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day. " medicinenet web site.

I'm trying to get a enough calories in my daily eating though I'm not sure how concerned I should be that my protein intake usually gets pretty high. Should I really be careful not to get too much protein? Does anyone have good research on this?

My daily number go something like this> (calories, protein)
    Opt. Cereal (250, 12) – 1 EdenSoy milk (130, 11) – 1 12grain bread (120, 4) – 1 tbsp. Smart margarine (45) - 2 tbsp. Udo’s (125) – Veggie patty (320, 22) – 1 rice (216, 5) – 1 lentils (80, 7) -1 Sun Multigrain chips (210, 4) – 1 Opt. Cereal (200, 8) – 1 banana – 1 peach – 3 servings vegetables (carrots - spinach - brocolli)
    Daily total = 1821 calories – 69 protein

My height is 5 '11 and weight is 140.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

cross barer

Default Re: Daily Calories and Protein Concern

Hi Etherweb.
    Can you post a link to the article? I've done a search on protein on that site and 200+ links come up.

It's hard to answer the question without knowing why they recommend limiting protein intake. I am unaware of any problems with high protien in the vegan diet, but I'm far from being an expert!

Are you referring to excess protein consumption being linked to cancer? That's only in animal proteins and especially casein, which is found in cow milk.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

I didn't read the entire article though here you go - http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=50900

I googled the keywords "too much protein" because I once read a little bit of something about getting too much protein.
    “Are you referring to excess protein consumption being linked to cancer? That's only in animal proteins and especially casein, which is found in cow milk.”
    This definitely makes more sense to me. Thanks.

Default I need to raise my calorie level- lower proteins

I'm a 30 yo male - 5'11 and weight 134 with a moderate activity level. (I participate in physical sports, rarely sit during the day and do heavy lifting work of a 6 hour a day basis, biking, gardening, and housework. My average calorie levels are rising (I'm at about 1800 a day). The problem is, my protein levels are rising too (I get about 82 a day). Is there really a major problem with getting too much protein?

I did a calorie projection thing- and I figured that I need to raise my calorie level to 3300 while keeping my proteins low. Could someone make a suggestion to raise my calorie intake, in addition to my regular eating?

Default Re: I need to raise my calorie level- lower proteins

I wouldn't be concerned about extra vegan sources of protein. Animal proteins cause cancer, not plant-based ones.

High-calorie foods include nuts, seeds, avocados, and oils. Can you post an example of what you eat per day so we can make reasonable, varied food suggestions?

That would be cool - I would appreciate some suggestions. Here’s is a list of the food I ate yesterday *By the way, the first number in the parenthesis is the number of calories the second one is the protein.
    Whole Grain Cereal (250, 11)
    1 EdenSoy milk B12 fortified (145, 11)
    1 tbsp. Udo’s Oil (125)
    1 slice 10grain bread (90, 4)
    Smart margarine (120)
    small banana (90, 1)
    black soybeans (120, 11)
    salad dressing (30)
    1 carrots (38, 1)
    1 serving kale and spinach salad (25, 1)
    almonds (82, 3)
    rice (104, 3)
    1 slice 10grain bread (90, 4)
    dried pumpkin seeds 2tbs. (153, 7)
    2 slices whole wheat bread (180, 8)
    peppers/ lettuce / tomato (10, 1)
    mayo (50) – oil (90)
    Multigrain cereal (160, 3)
    1 EdenSoy milk B12 fortified (130, 11)

Totals : 2076 calories – 80 protein

You sure do eat a lot of bread. You could also incorporate whole-grain noodles/pasta and rice.

Also, you can make curries and different mixtures and include more vegetables, such as potatoes, celery, bok choy, broccoli, et cetera. What are some of your favorites?

One more serving of fruit would do you some good. You can make a smoothie with strawberry Silk, frozen raspberries, and flaxseeds; or chocolate almond milk (which doesn't have B-12, by the way), frozen banana, peanut butter, and flaxseeds. Kiwi and blueberry are very healthy fruit varieties.

Lastly, you could splurge on some desserts, such as whole-grain brownies or cookies.

I do eat some whole grain pasta- mostly the Organic wheat and Quinoa Blend. Which kind do you eat?

That’s a nice variety of vegetables. . Any others you’d like to mention? I certainly don’t eat a good variety of veggies. My staples have been kale, spinach, red leaf, green leaf or romaine for salads- Baby carrots and broccoli once in a while. Could you recommend what varieties you eat among fruits?

Also, could share some curries recipes?

O, maybe I’ll wait until I get this straight before splurging on the desserts.

Seaside

The one problem with excess protein of any sort, animal or plant, is that the body has no mechanism for dealing with excess protein as it does with excess fat (fat storage) and excess carbohydrate (also fat storage). It will place a burden on the kidneys to filter all the extra ammonia produced by protein metabolism when too much protein is consumed regardless of its source.

I love whole-wheat pasta, Udon especially. Also, rice noodles are tasty with Thai sauce/veggies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My favorite chickpea-potato curry ever is this recipe:

Gaeng Kari Tua (Chickpea Curry)
    Ingredients (use vegan versions):
    1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
    2 coriander roots, coarsely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon whole black pepper
    2 tablespoon oil
    8 fl oz coconut milk
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    4 oz potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
    8 fl oz chickpeas (garbanzos) soaked overnight (can use tinned)
    2 tomatoes sliced into wedges
    10 sweet bazil leaves
    2 tablespoon light soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vegan sugar
    Directions:
    In a mortar, pound the garlic, coriander roots and peppercorns to form a paste. Heat the oil and briefly fry the paste, then add the coconut milk, stirring well. Stir in the remaining ingredients in order, bring to the boil and simmer until the potatoes and chickpeas are cooked al dente.
    Serve with rice. Can be prepared in advance and reheated.

(found at www.vegweb.com), but I also add 1 more potato and 2 sliced carrots, an extra garlic clove or two.

Serve with rice (4 people).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is a recipe for alfredo sauce for your pasta! Top with green onions and tomatoes.

ALFREDO SAUCE
    1 pkg. lowfat silken tofu
    3 tablespoon vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance
    1/4 cup vegan soy parmesan
    2 T. nutritional yeast
    veggie broth powder, 1 tsp. or to taste
    salt and pepper to taste
    (optional - add nutmeg and/or garlic cloves to taste)

Directions:
    Blend all sauce ingredients and heat gently. Serve over pasta one scant quarter-cup per person.
    Serves 4.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's a recipe that also includes potatoes:

East Indian Pea & Potato Wraps (makes 10 wraps)

1 T. canola oil
    1 T. dark mustard seeds
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
    1 c. thinly-sliced onion
    1 fresh jalapeno, minced
    12 ounces tiny red potatoes, quartered
    1 tsp. salt, or to taste
    1 c. water
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 c. frozen peas
    2 T. currants or raisins
    1/2 c. chopped parsley or cilantro
    1 package (10) whole-wheat or white flour tortillas, warmed
    3 c. cooked rice

1. Heat a medium pot or skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, mustard seeds, cumin, and turmeric, stirring constantly. When seeds start to pop, add onion and jalapeno and saute a few min. more. Add potatoes, salt, and water, and simmer, covered, for about 10 min., until potatoes are tender. Watch closely as it cooks, adding more water, if needed, just enough to keep the pot bottom covered until the very end.

2. Add lime juice and stir quickly to deglaze the pan. Stir in peas, currants, and parsley. Heat through and spoon into warm tortillas with rice.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pecan-Cashew Balls (high-calorie)
    http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=978

Vegetables and fruit that I eat regularly include bok choy, broccoli, spinach, kale, Swiss/green chard, carrots, green onion, romaine, green and red bell pepper, zucchini, cucumber, potato, onion, garlic, tomatoes, avocado; blueberries, apples (or juice), strawberries (always organic!), pineapple, kiwi, bananas, pears, peaches, raspberries, lemons, and oranges.
    I thought I had a recipe on here for avocado-walnut shells, but I can't seem to find it. It was a mixture of one avocado, 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil, 1-2 T. lemon juice (to preserve color/freshness), 2 T. chives or shallots, and 1/3 c. to 1/2 c. chopped walnuts. The avocado was chopped into little pieces, as was the chives or shallots. Mix together and stuff into jumbo pasta shells. Keep cold! Makes about 8-12 shells.

Smile Re: Daily Calories and Protein Concern

Quote etherweb
    Hi- I'm new to the forum.

"Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day. " medicinenet web site.

My daily number go something like this> (calories, protein)
    Opt. Cereal (250, 12) – 1 EdenSoy milk (130, 11) – 1 12grain bread (120, 4) – 1 tbsp. Smart margarine (45) - 2 tbsp. Udo’s (125) – Veggie patty (320, 22) – 1 rice (216, 5) – 1 lentils (80, 7) -1 Sun Multigrain chips (210, 4) – 1 Opt. Cereal (200, 8) – 1 banana – 1 peach – 3 servings vegetables (carrots - spinach - brocolli)
    Daily total = 1821 calories – 69 protein

My height is 5 '11 and weight is 140.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.
    Welcome! It sure does look like you are eating an ideal diet! I wouldn't worry about a thing!
    Carve a pumpkin, Go to prison! :eek:

do most Americans count calories and protein, or is that just you?
    Eve

I assumed he was going to Fitday or something like that. Otherwise, that's pretty, uhm, detailed.

Excuse me ladies, I’m right here. I can hear you (well, I can see your words)….come on, this is important stuff, right?

I’d like to thank everyone who responded to my questions here. It’s really made a lot of progress with my health…and feeling more confident about my eating. Thank you.

Artichoke, thanks for the curries (curry) recipes, not sure about the grammar there. You mentioned
    High-calorie foods include nuts, seeds, avocados, and oils.
    What types of oils do you consume? Do you have any avocado recipes?

Originally posted by Seaside
    It will place a burden on the kidneys to filter all the extra ammonia produced by protein metabolism when too much protein is consumed regardless of its source
    Thanks for the research seaside. Where do you get your info from? Could you direct me to more info about this process in the body?

Originally posted by PumpkinGuy
    Welcome! It sure does look like you are eating an ideal diet! I wouldn't worry about a thing!
    Thanks, that really does mean a lot to me though I know I need more calories. Funny though, I’m not sure if you noticed I posted 2 different weights (134, 140). I was never 140. Not sure how that happened. I’m about 135 now.
    Last edited by etherweb; Sep 1st, 2005 at 06:38 PM. Reason: fixing the quote tags

Oh, we're just kidding around.

I did post that one avocado recipe, and here is another:

Cornmeal Pizza Crust

Makes 2 12-inch pizzas

2 c. all-purpose flour
    1 c. whole-wheat flour
    1 c. cornmeal
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1 .25-oz. pkg. yeast
    1 T. granulated sugar
    1 1/2 c. warm water
    1/4 c. olive oil

1. Combine flour, cornmeal, and salt in a large bowl. Stir yeast and sugar into warm water in measuring cup. Let stand 5 min. or until bubbly. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Knead in 1/4 c. oil, and continue kneading for 7 min. or until dough is elastic and no longer sticky. Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover and let rise 45 min. Punch dough down, and let it rise 45 min. more, or, if making ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

500 F., 10 min.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spicy Black Bean, Corn, and Cilantro Pizza

Makes 2 12-inch pizzas

whole-wheat crust
    1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 c. prepared salsa
    1 serrano chile, minced
    2 large cloves garlic, minced
    1 c. diced bell pepper, red, green, or a mix of colors
    1 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels
    4 green onions, thinly-sliced
    1/4 c. chopped cilantro
    2 small avocado, diced

Preheat oven to 450 F. Lightly spray or oil 2 12-inch pizza pans or baking sheets. Prepare dough for crusts.

In a blender or food processor, combine beans, salsa, chile, and garlic, and puree until smooth. Set aside.

On a lightly-floured work surface, roll each portion of dough into a 12-inch circle and place on prepared pan. Bake for 5 min. or until crust is lightly-browned.

Spread crust with 1/2 of the bean mixture. Top with 1/2 of the peppers, corn, green onions, and cilantro. Bake for 7 to 10 min.

Remove pizza from oven and palce on a rack to cool for 5 min. before cutting. Top with avocado cubes. Repeat with second pizza.

Another:

Avocado Bread w/ Pecans and Lime Glaze

Makes 1 large loaf

1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
    1 egg replacer
    1/2 c. soymilk + 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
    3/4 c. finely-chopped pecans
    2 c. unbleached white flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
    3/4 c. granulated sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. grated lime zest
    1/2 tsp. salt
    cooking spray

Lime Syrup
    1/4 c. granulated sugar
    1/4 c. fresh lime juice

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Puree avocado in a processor until just smooth. You will have a full 1/2 c.

In a mixing bowl, combine avocado puree, egg replacer, soymilk mixture, and nuts. Beat with a spoon to mix well. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, lime zest, and salt in a medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and stir until just smooth and moistened. Do not overmix. Batter will be thick.

Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven until golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 45 to 55 min. Place loaf, in the pan, on a cooling rack while preparing lime syrup.

Combine sugar and lime juice in a small saucepan. Place over medium-low heat until sugar just dissolves, 3 to 5 min. Pierce the loaf about a dozen times to the bottom with a bamboo skewer, large toothpick, or metal cake tester. Immediately pour hot syrup over the warm loaf. Cool 30 min. in the pan before turning loaf out of the pan onto the rack to cool completely. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let stand at room temp overnight before serving.

----------------------------------------------
    Whole-wheat flour and whole-wheat pastry flour are healthier than unbleached white!
    ----------------------------------------------
    I use extra-virgin olive oil, safflower oil, and canola oil (always organic!) mostly, plus some sesame oil or almond oil for occasional recipes.

Thanks for the recipes. I know you we're kidding. I totally forgot to put the 's and the 's and maybe one .

Seaside

Quote etherweb

Originally posted by Seaside
    Thanks for the research seaside. Where do you get your info from? Could you direct me to more info about this process in the body?
    Harvey Diamond's Fit for Life has some good info on what happens when people eat too much protein.

I really wouldn't worry. You seem to be doing fine. In fact, the protein figures you quote there are pretty low and protein requirements vary massively between indivudals anyway, including in relation to age, level of physical activity etc. Weightlifters are generally advised to get 1-2g per 1 kg bodyweight (see http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2003iss...sue4weight.htm), so I certainly wouldn't describe your levels as high. Indeed, I very much doubt you're ever seeing heavy yellow urine with those levels, which would indicate high protein. Also, there are no signs of high protein levels causing vegans problems. So, relax and ejoy what you're eating. What's more if you're worried about your weight, eat more of it!

As for oils, flax, hemp and olive oil are all good. Going overboard on flax isn't a bright idea, though - ideally no more than around a teaspoon a day, otherwise you could be getting too much Omega 3. Omega 3 is a good thing, but not in excess.

Cheers

Mike

Etherweb,

Please remember that none of us are nutritionists. Our guidelines may work for us but you should really see a nutritionist familiar with vegans if you are interested in such detailed guidance. I highly recommend "Becoming Vegan" by the nutritionists Brenda Davis & Vesanto Melina if you want expert advice in written form.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein