Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Vegan airplane food

Default Re: Vegan Airplane food

Quote harpy View Post
    you can take containers with up to 100ml of toothpaste etc in your hand luggage and you have to take them out and put them in a plastic bag to go through security.
    I have not bothered to do that yet and have never been pulled over for it (they must see it in there when they xray the hand luggage bag). However recently there was a one item of hand luggage rule from the UK (can't recall where I was going) so I had to put my handbag into the other bag - a bit of a squeeze if you aren't expecting it, so watch out for that.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    you've made me wish i hadn't paid for Premium Economy tickets though!
    My friends fly to and from the US all the time with Virgin and swear by Premium Economy or Business Class. They say it is essential for long haul flights so I'm sure you won't be disappointed. (And I suspect Economy ticket holders don't get to use the clubhouse.)

I've always brought snacks like falafel wraps and sandwiches in my hand luggage without problems. If the meal is okay I take them off the other end too!
    You could also bring back cakes and pastries from New York last time I went. (The first time I did it they announced you could not bring anything containing dairy in - I had about 8 slices of cake with me so was sweating about it all the way home, imagining trying to convince them there was no dairy in my luscious looking cakes! Only as we were landing did they add "except cakes and pastries" to their announcement! )
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Fruit is something they often don't like you taking into the USA, in case you bring some kind of disease. I've seen special little fruit-detecting dogs at airports in Florida (and they successfully sniff out fruit, too). If I have leftover fruit I leave it on the plane - who knows what happens to it after that?

I remember them doing an announcement about not taking food products of the aircraft last time, and them repeating it twice.
    KLM were good for food when I was an omni but you couldn't call for at seat service for drinks etc you had to go to the trolley and help yourself (yes including alcohol ) Economy space was fantastic on their MD11s but they didn't have all the gadgetry you expect these days but first class was brilliant heading home (upgrades are great things).
    Virgin's premium economy looked good but they have leather seats

ooh and if flying in economy on a virgin jumbo do not sit on the right hand seat on the centre set of seats, leg room is compromised by the media servers
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote harpy View Post
    Fruit is something they often don't like you taking into the USA, in case you bring some kind of disease. I've seen special little fruit-detecting dogs at airports in Florida (and they successfully sniff out fruit, too). If I have leftover fruit I leave it on the plane - who knows what happens to it after that?
    A few years ago I accidentally brought a French banana into the States, but I didn't realize until after the fruit-sniffing dog had passed by me, and the dog didn't detect it! I got all worried when I realized I had fruit on me and my mom started panicking and telling me I had to turn the fruit in. I brought the banana up to the officer with the dog and told her I'd accidentally brought in a banana from France and she looked at me and said "Whatever, you can keep it; I don't really care."

Stu

I haven't read the thread, so apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said.

I bought some aeroplane tickets from London Heathrow to Cairo with BMI, the other day. There was a vegan meal option right there when you book. I can't remember exactly, but I think I noticed that this is available on flights betwixt Heathrow and Asia/Africa, but I think it might be different for other destinations.

Quote mariana View Post
    A few years ago I accidentally brought a French banana into the States, but I didn't realize until after the fruit-sniffing dog had passed by me, and the dog didn't detect it! I got all worried when I realized I had fruit on me and my mom started panicking and telling me I had to turn the fruit in. I brought the banana up to the officer with the dog and told her I'd accidentally brought in a banana from France and she looked at me and said "Whatever, you can keep it; I don't really care."
    I assume in Florida they're mainly interested in citrus fruit, although the one I saw succeeding in finding fruit was finding grapes IIRC. Perhaps they train them to find particular types of fruit?

Quote harpy View Post
    I assume in Florida they're mainly interested in citrus fruit, although the one I saw succeeding in finding fruit was finding grapes IIRC. Perhaps they train them to find particular types of fruit?
    That makes sense. Maybe grapes are a bigger threat than bananas! (Oh no, not the grapes! ) They don't grow a lot of fruit in Chicago, so they probably don't really care about fruit being brought in.

Quote Marrers View Post
    My friends fly to and from the US all the time with Virgin and swear by Premium Economy or Business Class. They say it is essential for long haul flights so I'm sure you won't be disappointed. (And I suspect Economy ticket holders don't get to use the clubhouse.)
    good to know, although i was just disappointed to have paid twice the price of economy if they upgrade people for free that regularly.

Quote Marrers View Post
    You could also bring back cakes and pastries from New York last time I went.
    i hope that's still the case - i've heard so much about these NY bakeries and i won't have time to try them all while i'm there!

Quote bradders View Post
    Virgin's premium economy looked good but they have leather seats
    i didn't know that, but i get very claustrophobic in planes as it is so i'm hoping premium economy will be slightly less cramped therefore making my flight a little more bearable, and the leather's not going to go away if i don't sit on it (although i suppose i can complain to Virgin, not that they'd take any notice of course).
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

hopefully you'll get an upgrade to upper class where they have even better accomodation

^ haha i doubt it, but you never know i suppose
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    good to know, although i was just disappointed to have paid twice the price of economy if they upgrade people for free that regularly.
    I have never been upgraded.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

sounds like mariana was just lucky then!

poor Marrers
    I have been, just once though and it was great

Quote Marrers View Post
    I have never been upgraded.

So just buy first class tickets from the start!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Ha ha! I can't mentally get over paying twice as much (or more) just for a bit of extra comfort. It's only for about 7 hours so I'll survive!
    (On one trip I was tagging along with my o/h on a business trip on the way out & he let me have his business class seat. It was very nice but not several hundred extra pounds-worth of nice!)

sounds like it's a good thing i won't be flying to Mumbai:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...nt-letter.html

"My only question is: How can you live like this?"

ROFL! Thanks for the laugh Gorilla (Makes mental note to buy some food for the plane I'm going on soon.)

I have a question, about planes, since I'm not a frequent flyer (and the few flights have been 3 h or less), so what are seats typically like? Are they supportive, particularly of the lumbar and thoracolumbar areas? Because that would be very important for me on a plane trip to take. Thanks.

I forgot about this discussion until I read a comment about airport food in another thread. I'm afraid that when we went to Barcelona I didn't find Gatwick south terminal departure lounge was exactly a hotbed of vegan food. There was a Pret but as we know they can't be relied on to have vegan food these days, and this one didn't have anything to speak of. So taking one's own grub (of the kind you can take through security) for the flight would be a good idea.

There were some other places that might have had vegan food to eat in situ, e.g. there's a Wetherspoons I think, but I didn't investigate these
    http://www.gatwick-airport-guide.co....staurants.html

QC, I haven't found seats in aeroplanes too uncomfortable but I'm afraid I can't answer your question more precisely than that; an airline customer service dept might. The main thing that's uncomfortable IMO is sitting down for hours on end without much legroom, so if you can sit next to an aisle and stretch your legs every so often it's not so bad.

hi, i'm back from my trip and have lots to post so thought i'd start with the airline food (long post - sorry in advance!)

i went out from Gatwick to Las Vegas with Virgin Atlantic and had pre-booked a vegan meal. the hot meal was quite odd: some sort of grain that may have been bulgur wheat, covered in an unidentifiable bland green sauce, with slimy garlic mushrooms and roasted peppers. there was a tiny side salad a bread roll, Vegan Society approved margarine and some dried fruit. edible, at least.

later on there was a snack of a salad wrap which was also ok, nothing special.

the Premium Economy seats weren't leather btw, they were cloth. i think it depends on the type of aircraft you end up in.

flying with US Airways to Vancouver i was upgraded to first class :smile: but there was no food except some pretzels which weren't vegan, potato chips which they didn't have any vegan flavours of, and some biscuits which were at least ok. it was only a 2.5 hour flight so it wasn't too much of a problem.

i took Air Canada from Vancouver to New York (no upgrade for me this time). there was no vegan food onboard except for a bag of carrot sticks which cost $4 frustratingly there was a pre-packed houmous wrap on offer but for some reason they'd put non-vegan ranch dressing in it. this was more of a problem because the total journey time ended up being 8.5 hours (we were held in a queue to land at New York) but fortunately i had packed plenty of snacks.

the flight back to Heathrow was also with Virgin Atlantic and again i'd prebooked a vegan meal. again this was rather strange; it seemed to be an attempt at a curry, with steamed veg, rice, some weird yellow sauce and what appeared to be a dollop of fruity pickle in the middle again the same side salad and bread roll, veg oil spread and some fruit salad. they did manage to include a pack of non-dairy creamer with the meal, but when i checked the ingredients i noticed it contained 'sodium caseinate: a milk derivative'. i thought i should check because i'd spotted some other 'non-dairy' creamers in a restaurant in the US and found it contained the same sodium caseinate and was thus not vegan. so they'll be getting an email from me about that.

all the airports were pretty useless for vegan food unfortunately. i had dry toast and orange juice at Gatwick, and didn't eat at any of the others because there were basically just fast food chains.

one thing i was not expecting was the physical effect flying had on me: despite getting up frequently and having decent legroom on most of the flights i got terrible headache, backache and leg pain throughout all of the flights, and i had really awful jetlag when i got back - i slept for nearly 24 hours! i think i can safely say i've had enough flying to last me a very long time!

Unfortunately Gorilla this is typical of most vegan fare anywhere. For some reason I cannot fathom chefs and caterers everywhere are not content to use normal vegetables in vegan food - they always go for the surprise content like "aubergine stack" which is guaranteed to be an indescribable soggy mass once it's been through the microwave or squash and tomato - the two blandest vegetables on the planet, seperately I can tolerate them....but together??? It never seems to occur to them to use pastry, or potatoes, or maybe a creamy vegan sauce
    It's as if when they hear the word vegan their head falls off and common sense evaporates.
    Luckily I won't be flying anywhere soon as I have a massive phobia of aeroplanes
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Hemlock View Post
    It's as if when they hear the word vegan their head falls off and common sense evaporates.
    Amen to that! and not just airplane food...

Quote Gorilla View Post
    flying with US Airways to Vancouver i was upgraded to first class
    I was upgraded to Business Class on my recent flight from NY with BA (instructions from head office as resolution to a complaint we'd made) but the airline check-in staff were very upset about it and said I could only have the upgrade if I forfeited my meal. BA staff told me that customers who have a special meal request will never be upgraded. (Apparently it's because they have to give your vegan meal to the passenger who they end up selling your seat to and think that serving vegan food to a non-vegan is intolerable. ) I'm not sure if this applies to other airlines. Luckily I always bring snacks anyway in case they mess up the special meal request so it wasn't a problem for me.

We had booked to fly Business Class on the outward journey (my partner was going to NY for work and gave me his return Business Class flight so we could travel together) and we got upgraded to First Class - which would have been nice except my seat didn't work at all.

There was nothing they could feed me but luckily my vegan meal from business class had been loaded so I got that. It was nothing special, probably the same thing I would have got in economy just served on a china plate with proper cutlery and a linen napkin!

I did find it shocking that they had a menu of food in First Class but NO vegetarian option at all. They served canapés containing meat without even asking. My partner is veggie and they had to find a meal for him from elsewhere on the plane. (The fact there is a menu means there is loads of food on board, suggesting they could find a non-vegan meal for the person 'stuck with the vegan meal' in economy if needed!)

there was a menu for the Premium Economy on Virgin, one of the options was veggie but not vegan of course. i had booked my vegan meal online in advance to make sure i got something. US Airways, who upgraded me at the airport, didn't serve food at all except for a few small snacks. that's really bad that you had to give up your meal to be upgraded Marrers.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/eating-a-...ity-12765.html

That’s really what our lovely government has decided, courtesy of its system for keeping tabs on people who take flights: “’Suspect’ requests likely to cause innocent holidaymakers to get ‘red flags’ as potential terrorists include ordering a vegetarian meal”.

Heathrow terminal 5 update: a reasonable bet post-security still seems to be Starbucks which sometimes (though apparently not always) has a hummus wrap marked "vegan". There are one or two branches of Boots, but I didn't have time to check those out for vegan grub.

ETA I saw that report about those requesting vegetarian meals being flagged as possible terrorists, but I'm a bit sceptical because surely they'd have their work cut out if they investigated all vegetarians? Anyway, what's the logic?

I'm possibly taking United to go visit my boyfriend. The vegan meals dont sound too... vegan. It's not a long flight, but still...

United provides vegan meals that include egg and dairy-free vegetarian pastas for lunches and dinners, and donuts for breakfast. We check labels on processed foods such as breads, biscuits, and pastries and do not include those made with animal fat.
    I ordered a vegan meal on British Airways last time and they had totally forgotten my meal... I had no meal for four connecting flights and like an entire day worth of flying because that was the only planned meal. [I drank instead... ]
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I havent read this thread so sorry if im repeating anything, i just saw its title and had to say i was really impressed with the quality of vegan food i got on quantos's flights, proper wholesome meals (some kind of veggie curry bake thing, umm pasta one time i think..) and salad, bread, and they gave me soya milk to have in tea, every time my omni boyfriend was wishing he had what i had!; and i also had a flight with british airways where i got a meal (cant remember what) and a vegan cookie for dessert!! in the morning for breakfast when everyone else was given some manky fried breakfast plastic thing I got a gluten free vegan donut...i mean, how often do you see vegan donuts anywhere but in the middle of the air!! i was most impressed. this was about a year ago when i was travelling and i was finding myself looking forward to the plane journeys to see what meals i would get.
    the other airlines i went with, jetstar and american airways, were rubbish though.

i finally got a reply from Virgin about the 'non-dairy' creamer:

"Thank you for emailing us about the experience you had on your trip to Las
    Vegas.

I'm sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the vegan meal that was served to you on your return flight. It's concerning to hear that the non-dairy coffee creamer in your meal contained milk derivatives. I understand how disappointing this must have been for you.

We like to assure you that we've taken this matter very seriously. Our in-flight services team regularly monitors the meals served on board and also the feedback that we receive from passengers. They'll discuss your comments with the contract caterers to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

Thank you for giving me the chance to explain and apologise for what happened. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you on board one of our flights again soon, and that everything will be, as we all would wish."

Thanks Gorilla for linking me to this thread. Has anyone had a vegan meal with British Airways? I wonder what it was like?
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

Making "sure that this doesn't happen again" are pretty strong words from Virgin. I'll probably be flying with them in October back to the U.S. so I will let y'all know whether or not there's any dairy in their vegan meal. The creamer wasn't the only problem; the margarine had whey in it or something.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

^ i checked the tubs of margarine they gave me on my flights, and they actually had the Vegan Society logo on which was great. shame they didn't get it right on your flight Matt.

Maybe they actually fixed everything now!
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Quote Lord Perennialist View Post
    Thanks Gorilla for linking me to this thread. Has anyone had a vegan meal with British Airways? I wonder what it was like?

I have had them in the past on BA trans-atlantic flights and I think they were OK (sometimes more reliable on flights FROM Britain but I think last time was OK in both directions). Rcently I have only been on their domestic flights and they don't bother with "special meals" on those at all unfortunately - not that it's a problem to take a snack along.

Stu

BMI provided a decent (albeit smallish) vegan meal for me a couple of weeks ago. The only problem was a little packet of Flora. But obviously I didn't open it, so I suppose it will just get re-used. I've got another flight with them later on today, so we'll see how that goes.

Quote Stu View Post
    The only problem was a little packet of Flora. But obviously I didn't open it, so I suppose it will just get re-used.
    i doubt it, i think they just throw away anything that doesn't get eaten.

gate gourmet (the firm used by airlines such as BA) have been known to reuse tray contents such as bread rolls and spreads for another batch of meals. A practice not generally favoured by either customers or HSE but remains.

in my experience the stewards/esses just throw everything you leave on your tray in the bin, they don't sort through for anything that could be reused.

what was happening was the trays went back to their slots in the racks and back to GG. it probably is the exception though.

Well I got upgraded to Premium Economy again on my flight from Heathrow to the US (every time I'm flown with Virgin Atlantic now I've been upgraded ). The meal consisted of rice, some vegetables covered in a mushy red sauce, salad (no dressing), fruit salad, a bread roll, vegan margarine, and whole milk creamer! I haven't gotten around to it but am thinking I should probably e-mail them about that. It wasn't even non-dairy creamer with whey (a mistake I can almost understand), but whole milk creamer!

that's cool (apart from the milk obviously, very bizarre)

definitely email them mariana - they told me they'd make sure there were no more mistakes, but they've got worse!

sounds like some really dippy person popped the wrong one on the try by accident more than anything else but hopefully email efforts will prevent further such incidents

Flew Virgin and couldn't set my food to Vegan because there's a 48 hour cut off before your flight where you can change options. The staff were absolutely brilliant and tried to get me all sorts of food from first class. I ended up with a jacket potato and baked beans with no butter - the other passengers looked quite jealous I was in economy class too!

On the way back, the staff were rubbish. I upgraded to premium, and they fetched me my economy vegan meal (pasta and cheese! ). I explained to her that I couldn't eat it - fortunately a vegan from premium class had upgraded to first (what are the chances!?) and I had his meal instead I wasn't convinced it was vegan, but the woman insisted that it was because

1. It said 'vegan' on the tray (didn't explain the butter with whey powder in or the 'creamer' with some milk derivative in it.
    2. She also said 'no other vegans have complained'.

She then spilled another passengers wine on me and didn't even get me a cloth.

Would have complained to Virgin but it was a few months back now, and I've been a bit busy.

I suggest we turn this situation around! Why should we have to pay hundreds of pounds to fly and be given shit meals that aren't even vegan!!

I'm flying British Airways on Monday. They say they do 'Vegan Food' in their help section, but online there was no way to actually set that option.

Fruit Platter was my best bet.

I ended up phoning them and the man set my option to Vegan. I asked why we can't do this online and he said 'only the more popular options are available online' - WTF?? Stupid!

Anyway, I've complained to BA, and got a response within 57 minutes (pretty good) it's all been logged, so let's see if we can get some changes!

Anyone get the impression that they care less because it's a 'choice' rather than a 'religion'?

For people using the search feature: BA British Airways - phone up a few days before your flight to change your food option, currently doesn't work online!

Quote Purple View Post

Anyone get the impression that they care less because it's a 'choice' rather than a 'religion'?
    YES.
    On my last flight I recieved meat and dairy even though I ordered a vegan meal. I was upset to see that they didnt really care about mine but the kosher meals were carefully seperated and got special attention.

Glad it's not just me that gets that impression.

Maybe that's what we need to fight? The perception that this is just a 'choice' and we're being 'fussy' rather than something core to our beliefs and principles.

Vegan food on the plane was okay it seemed. I wasn't 100% sure about the meals because there's no ingredients on the meal, but figured I was being paranoid.

Everything else was Vegan though, vegan butter and vegan creamer!

Does anyone else get paranoid if their meal tastes a bit 'cheese' like or has any yellow in it?

phact0rri

Quote mariana View Post
    Well I got upgraded to Premium Economy again on my flight from Heathrow to the US (every time I'm flown with Virgin Atlantic now I've been upgraded ). The meal consisted of rice, some vegetables covered in a mushy red sauce, salad (no dressing), fruit salad, a bread roll, vegan margarine, and whole milk creamer! I haven't gotten around to it but am thinking I should probably e-mail them about that. It wasn't even non-dairy creamer with whey (a mistake I can almost understand), but whole milk creamer!
    To right. This is pretty much the same meal I get everytime I fly to the UK. I don't use creamer (and avoid caffeine whenever possible) so I didn't even give that a second thought-- but you could be right about that. I tend to make a sandwich and pack some crisps and other nibbles for my flights. Because it really takes a strong constitution to eat what is provided.

When I went to & from Africa in February the airlines completely effed up all my meals. I didn't even get vegetarian, much less vegan!!

One flight was fantastic, the flight attendant felt so horrible for me that she kept bringing me extra food from first class I got tons of fruit and breads and fresh-looking things on real ceramic plates... everyone else i economy was glaring at me while they ate from their cardboard boxes, ha.

As for the choice vs. religion thing - so frustrating! Religion is a choice, yeah? Even if it weren't! 'Choices' should be honored regardless of what they are based on. People are even so much more tolerant when you say you have allergies, rather than it's a choice... I would just tell them that I'm vegetarian, and just so happened to be lactose intolerant and allergic to eggs. lol!
    The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.