Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Vegan airplane food

Default Re: Vegan Airplane food

which airline was this?!?!
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

Thomson. It was a lot better on the return flight to be fair, so I think I just got unlucky going.

Did you complain? Afterwards I mean.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Yeah I know this is an old topic but just wanted to see if anyone had had much more luck since 2011?

I actually work as Cabin Crew and I can tell you now its hell trying to get something substantial! I'm sent away from home a lot of the time so taking my own food for 3 nights and expecting it to keep isn't really an option. When I'm actually working, I basically eat fruit biscuits, apples or hummus and carrots, the only vegan things they provide (only 1 option of which is available to passengers!)

Although I am only a recent vegan, I can honestly say it disgusts me how poorly many organisations cater for those with different dietary requirements!

Check out the many responses to this post on Fat Gay Vegan's blog:
    http://fatgayvegan.com/2012/08/03/je...ls-in-the-sky/
    Live and let live

Default Re: Vegan airplane food

My most recent company flight was an incredible example - the vegan food was reserved for the flight from Germny to Mexico (Air France) but not for the flight back (KLM). What kind of logic is that? Do they suppose that I am vegan on the first flight and then change my conviction???

I noted that on the very day of my return via the online check-in and called them 6 hours before the flight. Although it was a Business class flight where I would expect them to try their best, it was simply not possible to get vegan food - I was really disappointed.

So all I can suggest is try to make sure and call the airlines more than 24 hours before the flight to make sure your vegan meal is on board...

Also, take a look at this to see what kind of vegan meals might be available... but it seems that good old VGML is the only true vegan option: http://www.happycow.net/travel/air_travel.html

Best regards,
    Andy

That's too bad, Andy. I have also had trips where the vegan meals worked out on the way out but not on the way back - i think they had actually reserved them in both directions but the local caterers couldn't manage to produce a VGML. It was a while ago though.

I think it's a good idea to check your meal's booked ahead of the flight and then again when you check in/drop your luggage off. (Mind you short-haul flights, or at any rate cheap ones, often don't have free in flight meals these days which solves the problem )

I was travelling back from America recently, only to find that my flight was cancelled when I arrived at JFK. I was transferred to another flight, which, of course, didn't have the vegan meal I ordered. I was pissed-off and hungry on the flight home!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I don't get why they don't have one or two on hand... It takes almost no effort or room in the plane..

Quote QueenAlison View Post
    Yeah I know this is an old topic but just wanted to see if anyone had had much more luck since 2011?

I actually work as Cabin Crew and I can tell you now its hell trying to get something substantial!
    Hey Alison, that sucks that you work for an airline and can barely get anything substantial. I don't think I could cope if that was my job!

I actually had a flight to USA right when you posted... and have been meaning to come and post about what I got...

I flew Bham - New York - San Francisco and back from LA - NY - BHX. I think pretty much on all the flights I got the same awful meal (except obviously when you get breakfast instead of dinner). It basically consisted of rice (my most hated food in the world) and some other stuff that went with rice. I don't remember what it was, just that it was Indian-y, like some Masala. I hate Indian/Chinese/Thai - anything like that grosses me out. I take half the lid off, see what it is, get confirmed that it's my most hated food in the world, swear a bit to myself and then put the lid back on. It drives me nuts that they automatically think vegan = must like rice. I think I'm going to go and post on a bunch of airlines facebook pages and ask if they can get anything else other than rice. I wrote an email to United afterwards complaining!

I thought someone like Redwoods were going to be distributed to airlines. Wish we had some decent English/American type food.

Also I think the relish or something had honey in. I took a photo of it, but it's not worth posting.

I think I might have to go back to phoning the airline and telling them I'm allergic to rice just so I don't get given it.

I also hate how when they give you some snack box you just get the fruit while the meat eaters get given a nice packet of crisps! WTF!? Do they think we can't eat ready salted crisps!? The fruit itself is half suspect! lol. I'll eat the grapes, the half a strawberry & apple but the rest I'm not keen on!

Quote ShariBlackVelvet View Post
    It drives me nuts that they automatically think vegan = must like rice.
    I don't think it has anything to do with being vegan, rice is a staple food for most of the world, vegan or otherwise.

Quote Risker View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with being vegan, rice is a staple food for most of the world, vegan or otherwise.
    So are potatoes, chips etc. but I never get any of them! How hard would it be to just have potatoes & veg in a container?

Quote ShariBlackVelvet View Post
    So are potatoes, chips etc. but I never get any of them! How hard would it be to just have potatoes & veg in a container?
    I think they might try and cover a few bases with the same meal so maybe there's no potato to keep the meal suitable for jains.

Quote Risker View Post
    I think they might try and cover a few bases with the same meal so maybe there's no potato to keep the meal suitable for jains.
    The crap thing is that the meat eaters always get a choice - and it's pretty much always chicken or beef. So at least they can choose the lesser of two evils. Whereas we get no choice. Our choice is like it or lump it. lol.

I feel bad for them that my meal is just wasted every single flight (well, not them... but hungry people who don't get meals, while these are just wasted). What happens to all the uneaten/opened food? Just put in a bin?

Just found this on youtube about United's food... - although that's vegetarian and not vegan. But yep, her thought is my thought!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26I7t9ruXwA

Shari, seems that the way to go is to bring your own food.

There's a "Western VEGETARIAN" option to denote you want western-style food (where available), but that is unfortunately only vegetarian (so be sure that they will add dairy and eggs :-(

I am normally happy if I get ANY vegan food at all, and I have to say, if I were a meal planner, I would also rather put fruit into a vegan meal than potato crisps, under the assumption that everybody can eat fruit, but not everybody might eat crisps. (Again, your personal tastes might be different here).

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote Andy_T View Post
    Shari, seems that the way to go is to bring your own food.

There's a "Western VEGETARIAN" option to denote you want western-style food (where available), but that is unfortunately only vegetarian (so be sure that they will add dairy and eggs :-(

I am normally happy if I get ANY vegan food at all, and I have to say, if I were a meal planner, I would also rather put fruit into a vegan meal than potato crisps, under the assumption that everybody can eat fruit, but not everybody might eat crisps. (Again, your personal tastes might be different here).

Best regards,
    Andy
    Yeah, I do always pack about 7 packets of crisps in my hand luggage and a couple of vegan chocolate-type bars. It's just a shame that if you're travelling for about 16 hours I can't get something a bit more substantial than just crisps (I'm not a massive fruit eater, I'd rather eat crisps than most things). I guess I should start making sandwiches or something and take them, or even buy something from one of the shops in the airport to eat on the plane. I hate wasting money though, as I'm not rich. Flights are expensive enough as they are (my last one was £850 to San Francisco!). It is just annoying that everyone gets a complimentary meal on the plane but it's never anything I like. My fault for being picky, I guess. Pickier than the average vegan LOL. I'm sure even hospital food isn't as bad as airline food! I'd at least be happy with some mashed potatoes or normal potatoes. I don't ask for much! I went to an event while in San Francisco and mentioned in advance that I was vegan. They asked what food I wanted ("Fish or pasta" LOL). I told them I'd be happy with potatoes or bread rolls and tomatoes. I do eat the small bread roll that you tend to get on the plane. That's better than nothing! And you always get the semi-soft vegan cookie.