Thread: Corporately owned organic companies...

__ __ __ __

Default Corporately owned organic companies...

What do you all think of this??

(if you are unaware, please go to:
    www.responsibleshopper.org
    www.veganstreet.com(go to the Community page, check out buy-outs)
    http://www.certifiedorganic.bc.ca/rc...ownership.html)

Personally, I try to never buy corporately owned things, only local and organic. And I always research the companies I buy from(ie. Organic Valley orange juice, I know by buying that orange juice I am supporting there dairy operations.. so, I looked into there company, and they really are organic, and the cows really are in pastures, which is nice to know, they also use sustainable methods of grazing,... even though it's not the best option.)

But, wouldn't you agree that buying Boca burgers, is just as bad as buying Kraft cheese(they are owned by Kraft), as well as "indirectly" supporting the dairy industry?
    I hate how smart and sneaky these corporations are. ugh...

I just feel like I can't support it. I can't support that kind of globalization.

Default Re: Corporately owned organic companies...

Your 2nd url didn't work. The 3rd one is excellent and has heaps of info on Monsanto.
    Eve

Actually, I am reading a book at the moment (nothing to do with Veganism) that is about capitalism and globalisation. It just makes me never want to go to a supermarket ever again. When I go to Uni I am going to startdoing just that. I hate the fact that corporations are taking over everything and that you cant seem to buy anything without it supporting a shitty industry.all our premade stuff at home comes from redwood and cauldron, but even cauldron uses egg in some of its products :-(. ou've started me off babbling now!

__ __ __ __

Quote eve
    Your 2nd url didn't work. The 3rd one is excellent and has heaps of info on Monsanto.

oops, www.veganstreet.com

and go to the Community/Buy out page.

: )

I didn't realise how much of the organic stuff I buy goes to support those larger corporate giants!

This is a tough topic. On the one hand, I don't want to support these big corporations. On the other hand, that's the only way I can purchase certain products. The positive side of this is that continuing demand for organic, sustainable, fair-trade products will mean that there is more of these products available regardless of the source.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

__ __ __ __

Quote Dianecrna
    This is a tough topic. On the one hand, I don't want to support these big corporations. On the other hand, that's the only way I can purchase certain products. The positive side of this is that continuing demand for organic, sustainable, fair-trade products will mean that there is more of these products available regardless of the source.

True, but if the source doesn't even have the slightest bit of good intentions.. what's the point?
    They've really gotten this all figured out(the corporations),
    "You want to be vegetarian?? well you're still vastly supporting the meat industry!" , "You want to be vegan? well, if you buy anything that is advertised, or almost anything that goes on sale at your local natural food store.. you're supporting the meat and dairy industry, as well as animal research at times.."

It's awful...
    I've spent years researching these things, so that I've critiqued my lifestyle enough so I don't support these companies...
    What really gets me is how Santa Cruz Organic juice, is owned by Smuckers... Smuckers is owned by Procter & Gamble!!

I suppose the only answer, is try and grow your own garden, don't buy processed foods, and juice your own fruits & veggies..
    No compassionate(organic&vegan) movement can be supported or effective if it's fueled and overrun by corporate greed.
    I don't want to see the diminishing of the word "organic" in my lifetime : (

Kevster

Haven't chacked the links but my intial thoughts are that some of the corporations will be in line with the latest Cadbury move for Green and Blacks. Now they have a respectable fair trade organic arm, to go with their (considerably larger) environmentally hostile/exploitative side.

Another example is organic bananas, watch out for these, they are not fair trade. The industry is generally exactly the same as the one using non organic farming methods. Organic does not necessarily guarantee better treatment for workers. For many it is just business.

Fortunately in the UK there are many smaller businesses selling chocolate and coffee etc. etc. These are springing up and are often vegan, (because they have ethics ) they can often be a little more expensive but are worth it.

Kevster

PS. Didn't know Mars owned Seeds of Change, not that interested in changing then.

__ __ __ __

Quote Kevster
    Haven't chacked the links but my intial thoughts are that some of the corporations will be in line with the latest Cadbury move for Green and Blacks. Now they have a respectable fair trade organic arm, to go with their (considerably larger) environmentally hostile/exploitative side.

Another example is organic bananas, watch out for these, they are not fair trade. The industry is generally exactly the same as the one using non organic farming methods. Organic does not necessarily guarantee better treatment for workers. For many it is just business.

Fortunately in the UK there are many smaller businesses selling chocolate and coffee etc. etc. These are springing up and are often vegan, (because they have ethics ) they can often be a little more expensive but are worth it.

Portland, OR. (and most places I've lived in the states actually..) is the same way, there are LOTS of vegan organic places to shop, a lot of local coffee shops, fair trade, everything good.

The banana's I purchase from the CO-OP are always fair trade, they always have the sticker along with the organic stickers as well...
    and all the other produce I buy, is almost always local & organic.
    Always buy local whenever possible.

Heres my thing though, if I cut out every evil corporation from my life I would be hungry, broke and walking. They wouldn’t even notice. I know by being a vegan im not changing anything. I just want to do what I feel comfortable with.

Also on a less cynical note, is Heinz evil?
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essense of inhumanity. George Bernard Shaw

I don't like to look at the negatives on everything. I mean, there are bad things AND good things about a corporation. Think of the millions of jobs that all the big companies provide and alot donate to charity and sponsor alot of great scholarships. Of course , there is alot of bad corruption and money and greed. But unfortunately, that is the human condition....i dunno, i just like to see two sides of the coiin.

Good point, Atticus. Really, if it weren't for big corporations we wouldn't be sitting here typing on our computers, taking certain drugs for ailments, flying somewhere at a moments notice when an emergency occurs, etc. Big corporations aren't going away, it seems, so we need to make them into the corporations we want. And the best way is to vote with our dollars and vote for politicians who share our views. That said, we should definitely support our local, small, eco-friendly, fair-trade, organic, vegan businesses.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote zena
    Certainly not the organic ketchup! Especially since we think it tastes best in this household.

__ __ __ __

Quote zena
    Heres my thing though, if I cut out every evil corporation from my life I would be hungry, broke and walking. They wouldn’t even notice. I know by being a vegan im not changing anything. I just want to do what I feel comfortable with.

Oh I'm not implying to cut out all corporations...
    although that would be nice.
    I am mostly speaking on our FOOD supply... corporations own over 80%(Heinz owns about 60%) of the natural/organic market.... that to me, is out of control.

I do not trust corporations.
    I do not think I can magically change a corporation into
    suddenly having intergrity..
    it just will not happen. the power is too controlled, the money too great.
    corporations will NEVER have a sense of moral, or ethical value.

When it comes to our food supply, they know we depend on it for
    our livelyhood... and once they own it ALL, anything goes : (
    I support Chevron, because I need fuel to get around(when I am not
    walking, and until I get a biodesiel vehicle..).
    I have more CHOICE to support the corporations that control
    the food supply. (And if you live somewhere where you feel this isn't
    an option?? buy online!)

We want the suffering of animals to end, or at least be on some
    form of necessary basis?? Well that will NEVER happen if we all
    continue to indirectly support these companies/corporations.
    If we continue to buy corporately owned products, it will be just a matter
    of time, before all of it is bought out, and there is no "competition".
    Leaving people like me, with NO CHOICE, right now we have a choice..
    and we need to exercise it.

But don't get me wrong, I definitely believe in looking at both
    sides of the corporate wheel as well..

look for H.J. Heinz on www.responsibleshopper.org

Good to see that Heinz announced it would not use genetically modified products in its baby food. The company also said that all tomatoes used in its ketchup and other products are non-GMO Source. Probably better to buy their tomato sauce than the supermarket's home brand.
    Eve

On the Coast

Personally, I think the first step to being truly free then, would be to get the f*ck off the computer. Talk about the decimation of the earth, degredation of minority third world communities, and the lining of the pockets of the richest 5%. But, on the other hand, it is a great tool which is unsurpassed for communication and education, if used properly. I feel the same way when it comes to buying foods, clothing, hygiene products, etc. By supporting the 'green' choices available from companies, you are voting with your dollar, and sending a message that says, 'there is a demand for these things, and you need to produce more and distribute more widely'. I feel it is the same when choosing a restaurant, when you go to a non veg restaurant that has good veg options, you are telling the establishment that without those choices, they would lose money. Eventually, everyone catches on, and we have choices everywhere we go, and more people are partaking in products they never even new about.
    Also, I am personally very thankful that when I am in Podunksville, Middle America, I can still get some Soy Milk and Tofu at a Safeway -

I'm not totally anti-corporation but let me add a couple of good links on the subject in general:

http://www.oligopolywatch.com/

http://www.corpwatch.org/

Koolvedge

The corporations are something I don't agree to support. It's really sneaky the way they get their claws into almost everything. I've looked into Monsanto and wonder if that's the most evil company out there. I found that they try to lead the GMO research and what they did to Dr. Pushkin is showing their true colors. I think the local, and organic movement needs our support, and the best way is to buy that way.

What's going on with this research? I believe it's one of the most detrimental things that is being done to life, and it can and has altered certain things that won't be able to be recalled. I see the severity of this and contemplate it everyday. Just another really strong reason to go totally organic, it's the only way to eat real food.

Default Walmart Organics

How do you guys feel about Walmart trying to be the world's largest supplier of organic foods?

Personally, I hate Walmart and try to avoid shopping there. I despise it for various reasons, mainly being their lack of concern for their employees in order to make things cheaper for me, the consumer.

Even if they paid well, offered benefits, didn't cheat people out of overtime, allowed unions, etc. I still hate shopping there because 1) there stores are always a mess of cheap plastic crap spilling everywhere 2) any store i have been in, has 1 or 2 check out lines open for the 150 people trying to check out 3) i find little need to fill my life with the cheap plastic crap they peddle.

That being said, i feel torn as they are now going to start selling affordable organic produce and clothes (which they are already the #1 seller of organic clothes in the world). Personally, I cannot afford to buy many fresh organic foods. It may be where I live (the midwest US) but the food here is simply too expensive for me. If there is a carton of strawberries on sale for a dollar more than regular ones, i will buy it. But most things are 10 times more. Organic red peppers are 8 dollars a pound at my local co-op and brocolli is around 3 dollars a pound, when regular brocolli is about .49 cents a pound, same with mushrooms. A carton of organic mushrooms is $5.50, when a regular one is 1.99. organic canned beans and soymilk are affordable, and i do buy them.

It may be my co-op, which i believe is outragreously priced for a lot of things. I have tried a local organic vegetable stand as well, and it is better, but still a lot more. I also always try to buy on sale. We are getting a whole foods here soon I hope is more affordable. Also, it is hard to even find a lot of stuff organic. the last time i was at my co-op none of the blueberries they had were organic, and i looked at several other stores and didn't see them either.

Maybe we just eat too much? I don't know. I don't even live near a Walmart with a grocery store, so I couldn't really go there even if i wanted too, and probably won't, but i wonder how others feel about this?

thoughts?

Interesting article about organic farmers not being happy with the Walmart announcement...
    http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...60329_6971.htm

VeganJohn

I was reading that some US companies that produce vegan food are not only coporately owned but very unethical.

'Lightlife' is owned by ConAgra, one of the country's top beef producers.

'Cascadian Farms and Muir Glen' is owned by General Mills, which make nutritionally deficient breakfast cereals aimed at children. The company's shareholders include Philip Morros tobacco, Exxon-Mobil, McDonald's, Monsanto, Dow Chemical and PepsiCo.

'Boca' is owned by Kraft, which is owned by Altria, formerly known as Philip Morris tobacco. Most Boca burgers are made with GM soy.

'Odwalla' is owned by Coca-Cola.

'White Wave' that make Silk soy drinks are owned by Dean Foods, one of the largest dairy companies in the US that has been known to make misleading claims about the health benefits of dairy. Their main investors include Pfizer, Philip Morris, Coca-Cola, Exxon-Mobil and PepsiCo.

It really upset me when Deans purchased White Wave a few years back. Now I directly support the dairy industry when i purchase soymilk. I posted a few times about it here, but I never saw anyone weigh in on this.

On the plus side, soymilk is now available absolutely everywhere!

VeganJohn

I did notice how abundant soy milk is in the US, it was fantastic being over there. Mind you, vegan food in general seemed to be much more widely available than in the UK.

I want to emigrate!!

LOL.

That's funny, it always seems you guys have tons of vegan stuff.

On a whole, besides soymilk, i don't feel i really eat a lot of packaged vegan stuff. So, i suppose I would be happy anywhere with a good supply of cheap veggies, fruits and beans.

BUT, I do love to buy fake meat products occasionally. And it would bug me if my jarred spagetti sauce, salsa, etc were filled with lard or something.

I do not like Walmart at all and do not shop there at all. Unfortunately a lot of people do like Walmart and the Vancouver City Council has approved another Walmart box store to go into the city. There are 2 other Walmarts in the greater Vancouver area, that I know of.

Even if they do start stocking organics here in Canada, I will not buy from them.

Limey

Quote VeganJohn
    I was reading that some US companies that produce vegan food are not only coporately owned but very unethical.

'Lightlife' is owned by ConAgra, one of the country's top beef producers.

'Cascadian Farms and Muir Glen' is owned by General Mills, which make nutritionally deficient breakfast cereals aimed at children. The company's shareholders include Philip Morros tobacco, Exxon-Mobil, McDonald's, Monsanto, Dow Chemical and PepsiCo.

'Boca' is owned by Kraft, which is owned by Altria, formerly known as Philip Morris tobacco. Most Boca burgers are made with GM soy.

'Odwalla' is owned by Coca-Cola.

'White Wave' that make Silk soy drinks are owned by Dean Foods, one of the largest dairy companies in the US that has been known to make misleading claims about the health benefits of dairy. Their main investors include Pfizer, Philip Morris, Coca-Cola, Exxon-Mobil and PepsiCo.

#(%&@! )#*(%& ^$*#(
    Not my beloved Silk!

Everything is owned by Coca-Cola...

Also, I'm not exactly sure what fair-trade is. From the context, I've assumed that it's referring to the treatment of the company's employees. Is there more to it than that?

Fair trade generally applies to foods imported from other countries and it ensures that the workers there were paid a fair (living wage) price for it. http://www.worldcentric.org/store/pricing.htm

It generally applies to coffee and chocolate and other things bought from
    "developing" nations. See this - what is fair trade --> http://www.worldcentric.org/store/fairtrade.htm