Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: greens

Smile greens

what are some of your favorite healthy greens (other than lettuces) that we should eat (kale, collards, etc.) and what are some ideas to cook/prepare/eat them? i have no clue where to start.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

FR

Default Re: greens

I love kale. I sear it with onions, garlic, and a seasoning product called Spike. I also use it in place of lettuce on veggie sandwiches... example, a sandwich made of whole wheat bread, hummus, kale, tomato, and onion, mmmmmmm! Oh yeah, it is also nice in a whole grain pasta/nutritional yeast based cheese bake with tomatoes and black olives.

I also like making salads with baby spinach leaves. I always add orange slices to the salad as the vitamin c in the ranges off set the nutrient blocking high oxalate content found in spinach.

A side of steamed collard greens with Earth Balance spread rocks, too!

Steam some kale with carrots and garlic....yummy!

I use kale instead of lettuce in sandwiches too.

Spinach salads with red bell peppers are a good choice too, since I can't eat oranges.

My mother sautees endives and/or dandelion greens with onions and garlic. And then you genoursly sprinkle on the lemon juice and eat it with pita bread to fill you up.

Adding bok choy to stirfries is good too. Less of an intense taste as kale, so it's pretty good. To boost the calcium, add some seasme seeds to the stirfry at the end.

I had baby spinach in my salad with capsicum, cucumber and sprouted peas and beans. Oh yeah and avocado

Antony

cross barer

wtf is kale? I've heard of collared greens but don't know what they are.
    I really love brocoli, raw or cooked it's delicious! I steam it, slow fry it in pasta or stir fry with tamari; chuck it in a gren curry...

I really love snow peas and they get whacked in salads and stirfries, also a great garnish over a rich red sauce (bright green garnish always stands out the most )

argh this thread is making me hungry... it's after 11.30pm and the wrong end of the day for eating...
    BAH!

Quote adam antichrist
    wtf is kale? I've heard of collared greens but don't know what they are.
    Oh so glorious kale. Some people find kale a bit bitter, but I love the stuff. It's good if you bake it, too. It gets nice and crispy. Also love it in soups with potatoes or sweet potatoes.

Collards are common in southern U.S. cooking (although recipes would definitely have to be adapted to be vegan -- most recipes call for ham, so think salty/smoky). They're a flat-leaf green, pretty stiff and need to be cooked for some time before they go soft.

My new favorite is purslane. I decided to give it a go after seeing it at the farmer's market. It's almost lemony and quite delicate. I sauteed purslane with some sunflower greens, lemon juice, lemon verbena, miso and nutritional yeast and topped it with squash blossoms stuffed with pea-mint risotto and fell in love.

I'm also a fan of chard even though it's not the best place to get calcium. I sautee it with garlic, dried figs and a pinch of sea salt.

Bok choy is great in miso soup with some shiitakes.

Leeks-Saute leeks and fennel. Garnish with fresh lemon juice and thyme.
    Turnip greens-saute with sweet potatoes and tofu and serve with couscous.
    Collard greens -Serve steamed collard greens with black-eyed peas and brown rice.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Kale, collard greens, and bok choy with onion rings (real ones, not battered and deep-fried, people! ) and ground coriander and cumin is the best!
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

FR

Raw broccoli dipped in hummus, yum!

I just had a bowl of sautéed baby spinach leaves, onion, chick peas, served over brown rice seasoned with spike and Bragg's liquid aminios.

I agree kale is lovely!
    I'm going to try some of the ways people here use it, because I've always just steamed it as a vegetable. It's nice if there's some left over next day stir-fried with a little sprinkle of soya sauce.

Foxytina, it's REALLY EASY to grow all sorts of lovely greens, like giant red mustard, rocket, land cress, mizuna and baby lettuce, endive and spinach.

They grow really fast and you can eat them fresh-picked in sandwiches, salads, pittas etc. You can even grow them in pots or boxes of compost if you haven't got a garden. You can get packets of the individual varieties, but seed companies here also do mixed packets of 'oriental greens' or 'cut and come again salads'.

I particularly like red mustard and rocket and it's really nice to be able to just pick some fresh whenever you want some. They're both quite hot and spicy and best eaten raw.

Yeah, and when you grow them yourself, you also get to eat the flowers, which are very tasty! I like red mustard, fennel and parsley flowers. I feel sure that flowers must have some very good stuff in them, nutritionally
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote FR
    Raw broccoli dipped in hummus, yum!

I just had a bowl of sautéed baby spinach leaves, onion, chick peas, served over brown rice seasoned with spike and Bragg's liquid aminios.
    Oh Yeah!!

How about red cabbage - I know, it's not green, but it is lovely when shredded finely and braised with onion, garlic, grated apple, some apple juice, and some raisins. PS: It's a good source of folate.
    Eve

Quote eve
    How about red cabbage - I know, it's not green, but it is lovely when shredded finely and braised with onion, garlic, grated apple, some apple juice, and some raisins. PS: It's a good source of folate.

MMM not bad

We used to make a salad from green cabbage sliced fine as you can mixed with green spinach sliced fine as you can with almonds sliced fine as you can and some dressing of your choice. Lovley.

Antony sliced as fine as you can

Talking Yum!

Quote FR
    I love kale. I sear it with onions, garlic, and a seasoning product called Spike. I also use it in place of lettuce on veggie sandwiches... example, a sandwich made of whole wheat bread, hummus, kale, tomato, and onion, mmmmmmm! Oh yeah, it is also nice in a whole grain pasta/nutritional yeast based cheese bake with tomatoes and black olives.
    Damn, you sure know what to do with your kale!

However, wtf is a "nutritional yeast based cheese bake"? Please do tell!

Quote adam antichrist
    wtf is kale?
    I have bought kale at the South Melbourne Market before, and I have seen it at various organic outlets. However I have also seen it in conventional green grocers, but only as decoration

I like kale, but I also love broccoli, bok choy, choy sum and all those Asian green leafy vegetables. I like it as stir fry or even just steamed with sesame oil and soy sauce. Parsley, although it is not a lettuce or "green leafy" - is great with hummus, tahini, chickpeas, or anything really and it is sooooo good for you. I have it as much as possible.

I like to use them in anything I can from scrambles to soups to.... everything. If I'm using frozen, it's really easy to just grab a handfull and toss it into whatever. If I've got fresh, I'll slightly wilt them with a bit of garlic, lemon and olive oil and eat them just like that.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Kale - I do this with mushrooms, potatos and garlic...
    basically - Cube and boil 1 cup potatos (red are my favorite for this recipe), sautee 3 cloves of garlic and about 1/2 c. mushrooms (any kind but I like portabellas) until the mushrooms start to release juice. Then add as much chopped kale as you want. I use a whole bunch. Braise it slightly until it begins to brighten in color. Add about 1/2 cup veggie broth or water, add in cooked potatos. Cover and allow to simmer about 2-4 minutes until the Kale becomes very bright. Add some fresh ground pepper and you're ready to go!
    I usually serve with steamed broccoli and carrots and maybe some corn. Sometimes I add tofu.

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

FR

Default Re: Yum!

Quote Monkey Wild
    Damn, you sure know what to do with your kale!

However, wtf is a "nutritional yeast based cheese bake"? Please do tell!

It is when you take boiled whole grain pasta, diced tomatoes, veggies like black olives, kale, broccoli, and a "cheezy sauce" (made from nutritional yeast, many recipes floating around the board for it), and bake the items in a baking dish... yum!

Baby Spinach leaves are lovely on sandwiches. I also love green beans when they are fresh and crispy!

I tried Dandelion Greens once. I found them very bitter and couldn't even finish what I'd cooked.

for lunch today I had steamed green beans and Gia Lan (it's chinese broccoli to some) with rice. verry nice...

antony green

Roxy how did you eat them?

Default Re: Yum!

Quote FR
    It is when you take boiled whole grain pasta, diced tomatoes, veggies like black olives, kale, broccoli, and a "cheezy sauce" (made from nutritional yeast, many recipes floating around the board for it), and bake the items in a baking dish... yum!
    Thank you, FR. It sounds delectable!

Kale is wonderful. I use it just like spinach.
    Collards are good. I like them steamed with salt and white vinegar
    Bok choy is excellent in a stir fry, both the greens and the white stems
    Asparagus rules. I sitr fry it with mushrooms, plenty of garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice and a bit of turmeric. I've done the same with bok choy, too.
    Spinach can be added to tomato sauce. Try it!

I've found that any green is excellent if you steam it and put Annie's Naturals Goddess Dressing on it. It is possibly my favorite way to eat leafy greens. The best one to do this with is broccoli rabe (aka rapini).

Oh, and I like to saute cactus pads to add to fajitas and burritos. They are chewy and kinda sour. Supposedly, they are one of the best sources of calcium.

Cheers,
    rant

FR

Quote rantipole
    Annie's Naturals Goddess Dressing

That stuff is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!

I quite like the green leaves of beetroot, juiced with a fresh beet, carrot, celery, and an apple. And I must try the fresh broccoli dipped in homas suggested by FR.

Something about greens in general - last week the optometrist took photos of the back of my eyes to examine the blood vessels, and the pics came up large on his computer screen. He pointed out one blood vessel that had 'kinks' in it, and he commented it was a worry. Apparently it is a lifetime build-up of sugar (though I rarely take sugar and certainly don 't eat cakes, biscuits, desserts etc, but did some years ago).

He said that just like when there are kinks in the garden hose, there could be a time when you turn on the tap and nothing comes out because of the blockage. When I asked what can be done about it - he said to eat plenty of greens, in particular cruciates like broccoli, and to make my diet mainly veges and fruit! He also suggested some fish oil. I told him that I'm a vegan, and he said "even better - take a dessertspoon of flax seed oil". I already do that, so hopefully there won't be any fall out from the kinks in the blood vessel!
    Eve

yogini

i make spinnach and lentil dahl.
    watercress on sandwiches is good.
    dont know if this counts as greens but cauli and broccoli done with nutritional yeast tastes a bit like cauliflower cheese..

Quote eve
    Something about greens in general - last week the optometrist took photos of the back of my eyes to examine the blood vessels, and the pics came up large on his computer screen. He pointed out one blood vessel that had 'kinks' in it, and he commented it was a worry. Apparently it is a lifetime build-up of sugar (though I rarely take sugar and certainly don 't eat cakes, biscuits, desserts etc, but did some years ago).

He said that just like when there are kinks in the garden hose, there could be a time when you turn on the tap and nothing comes out because of the blockage. When I asked what can be done about it - he said to eat plenty of greens, in particular cruciates like broccoli, and to make my diet mainly veges and fruit! He also suggested some fish oil. I told him that I'm a vegan, and he said "even better - take a dessertspoon of flax seed oil". I already do that, so hopefully there won't be any fall out from the kinks in the blood vessel!
    Best of luck with that, Eve. It must be scary. I have an eye issue going on myself. I've been getting an overabundance of floaters lately. It frequently looks like there are plumes of gray mist floating in the air. I'm going to see an opthamologist soon. My regular dr. didn't find anything.

I eat at least one serving of green vegetables per day. They are so good for you that I think they should be a big part of everyone's diet.

Cheers,
    rant

Quote rantipole
    Oh, and I like to saute cactus pads to add to fajitas and burritos. They are chewy and kinda sour. Supposedly, they are one of the best sources of calcium.
    Thanks for the tip about cactus. It's rare that I come across actual cactus pads despite living in a neighborhood with a large hispanic population. I can get the jarred nopalitos though. Last week I added a couple cups to a chickpea a la king recipe and it was great. I'm going to try to experiment more.

The other way I enjoy greens (particularly the more bitter greens) is with lemon juice, a little bit of sweetener, onion, garlic, white beans and nutritional yeast.

Quote rantipole

Cheers,
    rant
    They're also a really good source of potassium, too.

Grilled cactus paddles are also good.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

An easy way and tasty way to prepare spinach (if you don't want to have it raw) is to stir-fry an onion and some garlic in a little olive oil until they're softened, then add washed spinach and stir-fry until it's starting to go limp. Add some chopped sundried (or ordinary) tomatoes and some pine kernels or other nuts, season, and serve on toast or in a wrap.

My current favourite way with cabbage is a bit similar - stir-fry onion and garlic until soft, add some sliced mushrooms and continue to stir-fry until the mushrooms are tender, add chopped and sliced cabbage and a spoonful of wholegrain mustard and continue to stir for a minute or two until the cabbage is just starting to become transparent but isn't too soggy. Sometimes I add potatoes which I have previously boiled to the mixture along with the cabbage. Goes well with frankfurter-style tofu sausages or tempeh.

I love slightly wilted cabbage on tacos. I think it's much tastier than lettuce.

Wilt! that's the word I was looking for

Happy to help!

I love Kale raw in salads and sandwiches but mostly I love to saute it with onion, garlic and diced potatoes...mmmm.

I have also eaten Radish leaves quite a few times raw or wilted. They have a wierd texture raw but I like them

Baby spinach is so tasty in anything, raw or cooked, but I really like wilted spinach on thin crispy wholemeal toast

I am in love with broccoli and eat tones of it nearly everyday in pasta salads, stirfries, vegetable bakes or raw with hummus is lovely. I think brocolli just looks really beautiful and is tasty in anything

theres too many options! lol. i wouldnt beable to have a variety like that, but i wish i knew which ones were the absolute healthiest so i could include one of them in my diet. i have no idea where to start with that.

mango woman

Quote eve
    When I asked what can be done about it - he said to eat plenty of greens, in particular cruciates like broccoli, and to make my diet mainly veges and fruit! He also suggested some fish oil. I told him that I'm a vegan, and he said "even better"

see doctors know we should all be vegan. I wonder how docs can NOT be vegan.

I'm always cooking up bok choy with mushrooms, ginger and garlic sauce over brown rice; I feel like I could live on it alone I like it so much, but I know I can't. yummm

mmmm that sounds DELISH. i love all those things

Mmm, I LOVE kale, collards, and bok choy w/ garlic and tamari.

how do u cook them artichoke?

I saute 2 cloves of garlic in a bit of olive oil (probably a teaspoon), then add frozen, washed greens, about 2 cups, which simmers down to 1 cup. Then I add a tablespoon of tamari. The cooking time is only about 5 min. total. I use a small saucepan.

Quote VeganBiker
    I'm always cooking up bok choy with mushrooms, ginger and garlic sauce over brown rice; I feel like I could live on it alone I like it so much, but I know I can't. yummm
    Do you make your sauce from scratch or do you use a bottled/prepackaged one...I have been trying to make a gingerly brown sauce for YEARS that will match the one at the asian place I love.

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

I should add that you aren't necessarily consuming the whole tablespoon of tamari; it combines with the green juices and sits at the bottom of the bowl/plate, yet adds a nice flavor, still!

mango woman

alright, i just went grocery shopping and there were 'curly mustard greens' for 49 cents a lb. so i got one bunch. can i just eat these mixed with spinach and veggies? what does it go well with? i hope they have SOME nutritional value.. any help appreciated

mango woman

Quote theashleybeyer
    alright, i just went grocery shopping and there were 'curly mustard greens' for 49 cents a lb. so i got one bunch. can i just eat these mixed with spinach and veggies? what does it go well with? i hope they have SOME nutritional value.. any help appreciated

well im eating some right now.. theyre very flavorful.. super spicy! not spicy like pepper spicy but like horse radish spicy. like clear your sinuses spicy. theyre really good in my salad though. yummm. im so glad i bought them. only 49 cents! i might have to go back to the store..

i love steamed red chard, spinach, pretty much anything green...if it's steamed and then drizzled with a little bit of oil, or warming a pan with some oil, dropping in the greens and then turning off the heat, to barely wilt it...mmmm
    Peace Love Surf.

well after doing some research, chard and kale look like the ones with the most vitamins, etc. (chard has more though) so maybe ill try chard.

moochbabe, whats the difference between red chard and normal chard? do they taste different?

i think that red chard is slightly sweeter... it's excellent!
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote foxytina_69
    well after doing some research, chard and kale look like the ones with the most vitamins, etc. (chard has more though) so maybe ill try chard.

moochbabe, whats the difference between red chard and normal chard? do they taste different?
    Except for some reason I'm thinking I've read that some of the vitamins in chard aren't as bioavailable as kale. Does anyone else know more about this? Not that they're not both exceptionally yummy.

thanks jillian. if anyone or you find out any more info on this id love to hear it!