Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite vegan sandwich filling / bread spread?

Default Favourite vegan sandwich filling / bread spread?

Anyone got any favourites? Think I may have started this thread back on the old forum .. can't remember now. I'm currently doing one of my faves:

Marmite
    Onion
    Sweetcorn
    Tomato

Anyone else got a good one?

I like to "toast" tofurkey sandwiches with veganaise and tofutti american cheese on my indoor electric grill.

i used to make grilled cheese sandwiches with vegan cheese and sundried tomatos. they were so good i ate six in one day once! (then i realized they were made with oats therefor i cant eat vegan cheese anymore. allergic to gluten)

Quote Cloudy
    Marmite
    Onion
    Sweetcorn
    Tomato
    At the risk of sounding very daft, how do you make a toasted sandwich? It is just something that I have never made, so am not very familiar with. Your ingredients sound quite tasty, and maybe this is a whole new thing that I need to try.

my fave is onion cheezly cheese and the vegan bacon from holland and barett mmmmmm

Quote webster
    At the risk of sounding very daft, how do you make a toasted sandwich? It is just something that I have never made, so am not very familiar with. Your ingredients sound quite tasty, and maybe this is a whole new thing that I need to try.
    You can buy a sandwich toaster, just "butter" the outsides of the bread so it doesn't stick, fill it with your favourite delights, then toast it for about 5 minutes or so. Think they're about £20 over here

Great for snacks with a cuppa

Quote froggy_girl
    my fave is onion cheezly cheese and the vegan bacon from holland and barett mmmmmm
    That's the spirit! Cheers for that, will try it out soon.

i know this sounds weird but i like sliced banana and grated plain choc (or whole cubes if i'm feeling yukky) - dont knock it till you've tried it!

Not sure if it would work in a toasted sandwich maker but roughly mashed avocado on toast with a splash of lemon and/or Tabasco is delicious. Tomato and sprouted seeds are a good addition although the sprouts would presumably go limp if toasted

Vegan cheese and dill picallili
    Fake ham and mustard
    Humous and avacado
    Peanut butter and lettuce
    Vegetarian pate and tomato
    Onion bhaji and lime pickle
    Nut roast and cranberry sauce
    Veggie bacon, tomato, basil and HP sauce

Smile

Roasted/chargrilled eggplant in olive oil is also yummy with avocado and tomato!!!!

lately for me its bin:

tomato, red onion, butter lettuce, vegan cream cheese, pepper and sea salt and sweet relish.

thick avocado, thin spread of marmite, vegan cheese, tomato.

I like making this one (but due to laziness I don't do it often):

Tomato, Onion, Cucumber, Romaine Lettuce/or mixed Greens, babaganoush (eggplant dip)/also works well w hummus, salt, and pepper, and a sprinkle of olive oil doesn't hurt... all wrapped in pita bread.

More often:
    Almond Butter
    Almond Butter w. raspberry jam (or another berry jam)
    Natural Peanut Butter w fruit jam (preferably raspberry)

I will make plain hummus or eggplant dip sandwiches... but personally I like dipping into the dips more than eating them as a filling alone.. it always feels like I'm eating more than I should...

I'm into anything with avocado hummous and or anything with mushroom tofu.

From the uk Vegan Society,50 sandwich suggestions with something for everyone to enjoy:

1. Korma Have a Go! - smoked tofu or vegan "chicken" and vegetable korma
    (in curried egg-free dairy-free mayonnaise) with crispy lettuce.
    2. Blokes BLT - vegan "gammon" steak, lettuce and tomato, thick bread.
    3. Wee Willy Winkie - vegan sausages with HP sauce and lettuce.
    4. Just Philly? - dairy-free cream cheese with red peppers, garlic and celery.
    5. Scrambled Meg - scrambled tofu, cauliflower and mashed sweet-corn, parsley, dairy/egg-free mayo and nutmeg with cress.
    6. Peanut Buttie - organic fair trade peanut butter with dairy-free coleslaw, bean-sprouts and lettuce
    7. Funny Bone - olive hummus, red onion and salad on posh bread.
    8. Cocktail Cob - sweet corn, strips of smoked baked tofu in "prawn-less" cocktail sauce, nori seaweed flakes with lettuce, lemon and capers.
    9. Peanut Butter and Jelly - organic peanut butter and organic no-sugar jam.
    10. Ploughman - vegan cheddar Cheezly, pickle, radishes and lettuce.
    11. Fungi Filler – wild mushroom and tarragon pate with gherkins and red onion.
    12. Moscow Munch - vegan "caviar" and salad with egg-free mayo.
    13. Med Veg - Roasted Mediterranean vegetables and hummus on sun-dried tomato bread.
    14. Bagpipe Bun – vegan haggis, Piccalilli and salad 15. Posh Chip Buttie - roasted rosemary and sesame seed potatoes with watercress.
    16. Borscht Buttie – pickled beetroot, caraway, hummus and lettuce
    17. My Mate - yeast extract, soft dairy-free cream cheese and slithers of Granny Smith apple.
    18. Sehr Gutenburger - cashew nut burger with sauerkraut.
    19. Cinderella surprise – grated carrot, red peppers, red onions, zest of orange with toasted pumpkin and coriander seeds, raisins and chilli
    20. Dolphin Friendly Salad – (frozen) flaked smoked tofu, vegan tomato pesto, spring onions, vegan mayo and salad.
    21. Tapenade Tantalizer - olive pate with dairy-free cream cheese and salad.
    22. Cold Dog - vegan frankfurters, sauerkraut, tomato sauce, mustard and onions.
    23. Miso You Madly – miso, walnuts or beansprouts and crisp salad.
    24. Devil's Delight - ginger marinated seitan with chilli and beansprouts.
    25. Mock Duck - mock duck or crispy smoked tofu with black bean sauce, spring onion, shredded Chinese leaves and beansprouts.
    26. For Alfalfa's Sake - alfalfa and red roasted pepper hummus.
    27. Tikka Bite o' This- vegan "chicken" marinated in Tikka sauce, vegan mayo and salad.
    28. Bloody Mary - tomatoes, black pepper, sun-dried tomato paste on olive ciabatta.
    29. Monster Munch - nut loaf, salad and pickle.
    30. Dhal Delight - lentil, garlic and lime pate with red onion and mango chutney.
    31. Tzatziki Tingler – cucumber, vegan yoghurt, tahini, mint, garlic with watercress.
    32. Kentucky Fried Wicken - crisp-baked Wicken Fen sausages with salad.
    33. Club sandwich - vegan nacho cheese, red peppers, onions, olives, sun-dried tomato paste, oregano, vegan pepperoni.
    34. Chocoholic - organic fair-trade hazelnut and chocolate spread with bananas.
    35. Wimbledon - vegan dairy-free cream cheese and freeze-dried strawberries or sugar-free strawberry jam.
    36. Totally Tropical - vegan cream cheese with dried apricots, pineapple and sunflower seeds.
    37. Wonderful Waldorf - vegan mayo, apple, celery, walnuts and sultanas.
    38. Frittering Fancy - corn and smoky snap fritter with salad in a buttie.
    39. Moussaka Me Gently - roasted aubergine, garlic, creamed potato, nutmeg, sun-dried tomato paste, grated vegan "cheese" and vegan mayo.
    40. Bubble 'n Squeak – pickled red cabbage, onion, shredded green cabbage, crushed black pepper, low-sodium salt, tahini, toasted sesame seeds, yeast extract, shredded baked potato and vegan mayo.
    41. Bounty Hunter - creamed coconut, toasted nori seaweed, beansprouts, fresh coriander and lime.
    42. Mole in the Hole - guacamole with smoked garlic, sliced baked vegan sausages and lollo rosso.
    43. Falafeling About – sliced falafel with onions, chilli sauce and shredded cabbage.
    44. Swedish Cobbler– vegan Swedish-style "meatballs" with pickle and salad. (Ikea - are you listening?)
    45. Sunday Roast – “Cheatin beef", horseradish, alfalfa and red onion.
    46. Popeye Picnic - roasted perpetual spinach, garlic, vegan mayo, low-sodium salt and crushed black pepper
    47. Spotted Dick - vegan cream cheese with raisins and sultanas
    48. Salsa Switch - red kidney beans, sweetcorn, jalapeno chilli, tomato paste, onion, gherkins.
    49. Squish and Chips – fishless fingers and chips with vegan mayo and lettuce.
    50. Hot Pot - hemp seed pate or hemp pesto with onions, alfalfa, Jamaican hot pepper sauce and cucumber.

cucumber, tomatoes, avacado, lettuce, miso mayo. very tasty. or sometimes i'll make myself a vegan meatball sub.

My favorite natural sandwich filling is tomato and cracked black pepper

My favorite meat-free substitute whatever sandwich is Veat breast with pickle relish and eggless mayo and....tomato!!

I lurve tomatoes

To name but a few ...

• Yeast Pate ... Original or Herbs
    • Tofutti's Garlic & Herbs Spread
    • Any of the above with salad
    • Yeast extract (love Marmite but it's a Unilever brand so don't buy now)
    • Veggie Burgers or Bangers (sausages) with loads of gently fried onions and some homemade mustard
    • As above with the addition of some fried tomatoes and/or mushrooms
    • Left-over Veggie Burgers or Bangers with mustard or cranberry sauce
    • Left-over Veggie Burgers or Bangers with salad
    • Portobello mushrooms (the big flat ones) cooked with a drizzle of olive oil, loads of garlic and a good grating of black pepper, with the bread dipped in the juices
    • Banana
    • Left-over Chestnut Bake/Loaf with cranberry sauce or salad
    • Big, fat, juicy homemade chips (fries)
    • Falafel with salad in a sesame pitta bread (make sauce with soya yog & garlic, herbs, spices to taste)
    • Onion bhaji with salad in a pitta bread (with sauce as above)
    Enjoy
    Last edited by SilverBird; Sep 17th, 2004 at 05:21 PM.

My current favorite: toasted wheat bread, 2 slices crispy fake bacon, sautéed baby portabello mushrooms, and a slice of melted soy mozzarella. *drool* If only I had all the fixins right now.

Default What is Vegemite???

I live on Long Island. Never heard of it. Can it be bought on line??

i like some PATE

AND

MAYO with garlic slices on top.

Being the health-fanatic that I am I do not eat any sandwiches except for tomato and avocado OR salad sandwichs as other types of sandwiches are disrecommended for digestive and complimentary issues according to several nurition books I have read.

Occasianlly I am naughty and have pita breads with hummus and salad or roast courgette cherry tomatoes and mushrooms; or same with yeast spread and tahini; or salad and bean salad with yeast spread; or falafel mayo and grated courgette broccoli and carrot (all raw).

my favorite is hummus with anything. hummus with vegetables in a sandwhich or hummus with a veggie burger on top...or almond butter with blueberries (this is my version of pb and j sandwhiches b/c i don't like jam/jelly).

Right now my favorite is grilled vidalia onions, red peppers, green peppers, and mushrooms wrapped in a tortilla w/ a little vinagrette dressing. So I guess it's not really a sandwich but a wrap...

OK, recently I’ve been feeling: toasted wholegrain bread, soy butter, avocado, salsa, jalapeño peppers, cashew nuts, green olives and spring onion.

Lettuce, tomato, hummus, onions, peppers and soy burger on whole wheat roll.
    "May your life be a reflection of what you believe...be the change you want the world to be". -Ghandi

PinkFluffyCloud

Homous, Yeast extract and a few Peanuts, mmmmm!

Mine has changed! I am always getting new favourite stuff!

Still into date spread and banana though!!!

I like:

- avocado, olive pate, tomato and sprouts
    - raw hummus (I made it myself and it is damn delicious!) with any salad veg

I also love it on Essene bread!!!

I love Sloppy Joes.....I also love hummus in pita bread with chopped romaine lettuce and tomatoes. I'm a big fan of falafels, too, but I don't make them very often...too lazy, I guess.....

tails4wagging

I like hummus with grated carrot and raw spinach, on granary bread.

In the summer, fresh-ripe organic tomatoes with vegannaise. Yummmm.

Almond butter with anything
    Peanut butter with strawberry jam
    Grilled vegan uncheese sandwich
    Smashed avocado with hot sauce, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and garlic powder

Hummus and avacado on pita or lawash wrap with tomatoes, bean sprouts, and sunflower seeds. Yum...
    -JK

What do you guys eat your Veggie burgers on?

Usually white or wholemeal vegan buns. Whatever the grocery store has left at the end of the day, when I finish work. It has to be vegan though!

Humous & Gratted Carrot

or

Vegan Pesto / Basil / Tomato / Cheezly /

or

Warm Sarni

Tofu Soysages & Brown Sauce
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

I feel like something I could have in a hot sandwich. I guess a Pita Bread would be good. ( Except for the Wheat ) But I want something Hot. What is a good hot sandwhich without meat substitute.

Exclamation

Quote feline01
    In the summer, fresh-ripe organic tomatoes with vegannaise. Yummmm.

FINALY! someone said vegannaise! i can't believe it took 'till page 3!

Quote tofuy
    FINALY! someone said vegannaise! i can't believe it took 'till page 3!

Vegannaise and I have a history-I occasionally ate veganniase on crackers or toast with no other fillings when I was pregnant. It just tasted so good.

- Seitan Ruben from Chicago Diner
    - Avacado, cucumber, sprouts and vinegrette on pita bread
    - Tofurkey, lettuce, tomato, and veganaise
    - Eggless tofu salad sandwich

I like hummus, lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles.

Here's another question: What kind of bread do you use for your sandwich? I usually buy organic whole wheat or multi-grain.

Same here, organic whole wheat or multigrains or multiseeds. I have also discovered Ezekial Bread (sprouted grains) Mmmmmm Yum!

I mainly use a wholemeal grain bread just from the supermarket - I looove Essene bread - (which I think is the same as Ezekiel bread) but it is more expensive and inconvenient (it isn't pre-sliced) - I am a student!!!

on organic whole grain bread, spread hummus on one side, tofutti cream cheese on the other, sliced olives and red onion in the center.

roasted: eggplant, red pepper, jalapeno, grated carrots and broccolli stalks stuffed in a pita with tahini.
    HAIKU TIME

the mockingbird sits
    pomagranate tree in bloom
    patiently waiting

Default So many choices!

I like a "grilled" peanut butter banana sandwich on whole grain bread. I like Yves deli slices with romaine, tomato, Veganaise and dijon mustard on toasted grain bread. Pita pockets - garlicky hummous, lettuce, tomato, english cucumber and radish inside a toasty pita. Baked tofu slathered in a cheezy nutritional yeast sauce on a toasted sesame bagel, with crisp lettuce and tomato.

I don't eat sandwiches that much, but my favourite toppings for bread are almond butter and peanut butter

I usually only eat sandwhiches at resturaunts. At home i stick to almond butter/peanut butter with fruit, maple syrup or raspberry jam. sometimes i eat some lightlife fake ham with mustard.

i love refried black beans though in a tortilla, pb&j in a tortilla, hummus, olive spread, portabella mushrooms on a toasted bun, veggie burgers.

oh, and lightlife bacon on toast. this is great with margarine, with a margarine/maple syrup spread, or with vegan cheese grilled up.

mmm...bacon with maple syrup/margarine. YUM!

drummer

Excuse me but vegemite is not vegan anymore, but marmite is vegan.

Is this is because it is cooked in the same tins that they cook their meat spreads in? Or is it because of a direct ingredient?

Talking

This is probably going to sound gross....but my fav. sandwich is peanut butter with veggie bacon....sooo yummy....even more yummy with pickles too