Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: World Vegan Day

Default Re: World Vegan Day

I know this will comeas a shock to you all but I can be very silly at times . I have lost my 'what to do about Christmas' thread I know it must be here in the forum somewhere but can't find it If anyone comes across it can you let me know?

Thanks

Lost soul

Hey guys,

I can't believe I didn't meet any of you at WVD.
    I enjoyed myself completely (although I was exteremly occupied by looking at people's wrists... ), and brought a few doughnuts to my vegan friends here in Sydney. Plus I bought too much chocolate for me to eat - but managed to finish all of it by this evening!
    Hope I could meet you at some other occasion,

Maya

Gliondrach

Hello, Maya. You spend a lot of time looking at people's wrists? Well, I suppose it takes all sorts. I spend quite a bit of time looking at women's legs.

I was looking for Antony........

Hey newmayaml

what a pity, it was great to meet the people on the other side of the posts. es, let's make sure we meet at another occasion

Do you have any pictures ready yet Antony? I know.......I know.......I am being an impatient little git

Remember none (photo's) secretly taken of me ok, or I really will get grumpy and I'll be too scared to meet you properly next year.

PS I cant find lost thread either, isnt that odd? maybe you should tell the organiser people?

I never took any I promise, I promise

Quote Roxy
    Do you have any pictures ready yet Antony? I know.......I know.......I am being an impatient little git

patience is a virtue

thanks, I really didnt want photo's, I wasnt being coy! You never know what maniacs are lurking on vegan forums, It will be nice to meet you all next year!

Gliondrach

I wonder if there are any maniacs on here? It's possible.

One of the definitions of maniac is someone who has an excessive desire for something.

If that's the case then there are LOTS of maniacs here

Quote newmayaml
    Hey guys,

I can't believe I didn't meet any of you at WVD.
    I enjoyed myself completely (although I was exteremly occupied by looking at people's wrists... ), and brought a few doughnuts to my vegan friends here in Sydney. Plus I bought too much chocolate for me to eat - but managed to finish all of it by this evening!
    Hope I could meet you at some other occasion,

Maya
    How the hell didn't you see me in my treehugger t shirt I was walking around in it for hours. You didn't see Antony for the same reason I didn't - he spent most of the time sitting in the meet a vegan tent

Quote avocado
    thanks, I really didnt want photo's, I wasnt being coy! You never know what maniacs are lurking on vegan forums, It will be nice to meet you all next year!
    Maniac and proud

Now my photo is on here you can view it on all sorts of suspect sites doing crazy things

If they attach my head to a nude body I hope they give me a good one

I'm sure Antony would not have taken your photo Advocado. He seems very honest and I'm an excellent judge of character er I hope

I never took any I promise

Talking Re: World Vegan Day

World Vegan Day was great!!! I had a fantastic time and met some people I had been meaning to meet for a few years now so it was great to make the connections.

I am sorry that I didn't run into any forum members but I was keeping an eye out. Once I get the footage off the video camera I might be able pick some faces out and throw up some screen shots.

Currently using dial up internet temporarily so limited access but I promise to learn how to load images soon and will post a few.

I moved house on Friday for about 24 hours before being picked up at 5 am and heading to Melbourne. I was so tired I put my head back and to the amusement of fellow travellers started snoring!!! Weariness is my excuse . We had a rather quick journey from Adelaide to Melbourne, singing along to the Buffy musical soundtrack (that I was being introduced to) and trying the BEST PEANUT and CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES I HAVE EVER TRIED! (I will try and post the recipe when I get it).

We wandered Melbourne in the afternoon and had Mexican hot spicy chocolate after perusing the shelves of a huge Borders bookstore. I resisted the desperate desire to buy yet another vegan cookbook. After moving eight crates of books I am not inclined to get more till I get rid of some!

We went to Vegetarian Orgasm which was honestly wonderful and the staff were lovely too. I met a vegan and his partner (that I had known online for two years) for the very first time in person and the party of five got along famously.

I had the "Chicken Scnitzel" with beetroot mash and vegies then the most decadent Blackforest cake ever! The next stop was a rather smokey club with great live music and finally got home at 2:30am (daylight saving had kicked in).

We collected our fellow diners from the night before and made our way to WVD where I was able to meet Patty Mark who was completely delightful and had with her one of the rescued puppies from the puppy farm that they successfully campaigned to have closed down.

I will post the photo of Lily and I. Lily is one of the Animals Australia pigs and she was a very contented darl, lying in the back of a van - quite happy to be patted by all and sundry.

The very first thing we did was tried wraps from Pronto Brontos and the fabled cheesecake which was everything that it was reputed to be.

I took photo's and vidoe footage and am totally inspired to set up World Vegan Day in Adelaide as a similiar local celebration - it is going to take a whole year to organise and there is going to have to be a lot of networking in the meanwhile but I am certain we can manage a suitable festival.

Adelaide is a beautiful ciiy with a host of great community groups that would be delighted to be involved. It's a lot of work but will be totally worth it.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Sounds great, musta mistya there.

[QUOTE=veganblue]World Vegan Day was great!!! I had a fantastic time and met some people I had been meaning to meet for a few years now so it was great to make the connections.

I look forward to seeing your pics, I hope you haven't taken any of Avocado !

I made a mango cheesecake using silken tofu yesterday. It was average and didn't really taste like pronto's. So Antony if your listening don't bother trying the silken tofu it aint it. Next I will try bon soy and agar instead .

Vegan blue I thought I might have seen you ay WVD are you about 5''6. This young guy that looks like the pic you have was staring at one stage, but didn't speak. All though I am a freak so he may just of been looking in horror

It Shakahara I had a caramel cream that was all vegan, you know one of those things that had caramel in the bottom then you turn it upside down at eat it......... scrumptious

Quote treehugga
    Vegan blue I thought I might have seen you ay WVD are you about 5''6. This young guy that looks like the pic you have was staring at one stage, but didn't speak. All though I am a freak so he may just of been looking in horror
    LOL - no sorry - I am not sure that that was me - I am 5'9" and was draped with camera bags. I spent the first half of the day peering into the video screen and was focused on general footage - not people necessarily. Next time I am heading Melbourne-way I will be sure to post a note!

I was wearing a red shirt if that is any help but if I remember rightly I was also wearing a brown jacket plus had glasses on.

The queue for the burgers was huge! Glad I ordered two at the beginning as I was starved by the time I got to the other end!

Yes what was with that burger cue? I was famished but the line look 2 kms long.
    It would be good to have a couple of bbq's on the go next year and my partner complained he couldn't get coffee I would have loved a chai tea maybe I will do this next year and make a fortune

Near the other door they had pies and stuff, we went there and had a pastie and we got chocolate muffins from a stall near the stage outside, then there was the CHEEEESCAKE.

You gotta keep trying with the cheesecake Treehugga, I reckin the agar and soymilk will be like jelly.

Did you bake your cheesecake, did you have silken tofu and creamcheese in it?

Quote abrennan
    Near the other door they had pies and stuff, we went there and had a pastie and we got chocolate muffins from a stall near the stage outside, then there was the CHEEEESCAKE.

You gotta keep trying with the cheesecake Treehugga, I reckin the agar and soymilk will be like jelly.

Did you bake your cheesecake, did you have silken tofu and creamcheese in it?
    I made the crust with a mix of LSA, ground almond amd crushed bickies mixed with nuttlex.This was delicious I might add.
    Then I process 1 mango, 1 tub Kingland silken tofu and some sugar 2 tbsns I think and 1 tspn vanilla.
    I baked it for 20 mins as it was only small made in a pie dish in case turned out horrid.
    It was not bad, we ate the whole cake and little Connor loved it, but it still had that aftertaste that some tofu has and I reckon Kingland is one of the best.
    Next week I am going to try with toffuti not cream cheese and will keep you posted.
    I will get to the bottom of this yet dear holmes
    Julie Mango detective extraoidinaire

Ok thanks, Ill be trying a few recipes soon, I'll let you know how they go

antony

Don't expect any posts from Martin, Adam or Antony for awhile. I believe they have been moderated That's all I will say on the subject as I don't want to lose my ability to post

Bugga! I guess I will have to be very patient.........waiting for those photos now.

I'm new enough to this computer chat stuff - actually maybe a year or so now, but I still don't know, when you are moderated does it mean you can't post? or is it a reprimand? what thread didi it happen on? this is very mysterious! Did they all say something naughty together? or is it coincidence? what do you have to do/say to get moderated? - I really don't know!!

It's probably best to check out the rules and regulations for the forum, but it usually refers to certain behaviours and can include swearing, rude behaviour and anything that could be considered offensive to another as well as 'time wasting' posts on the thread. If you have types of material on your homepage which could be considered offensive ot discuss matters that could be considered 'risky' or destructive ie inciting terrorism or violent acts. Your posts can be removed, usually temporarily for minor issues.

In saying this the absent vegan friends issues were minor as far as I know, but it brings it home to you that you do need to follow the rules.

It's probably best we just leave it and get on with things. They are now back with us I think anyway
    Last edited by treehugga; Nov 7th, 2005 at 02:23 AM. Reason: additional info

I should not have stuck my big beak in by saying who was moderated as it is an invasion of peoples privacy. This goes to show how easy it can be to say something silly or offensive. I sincerly hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings and it certainly won't happen again without asking permission first

cross barer

No there were three different events but antony's was the dumbest
    Sometimes people get put on delayed posts which means the moderator reviews everything they have written before it is submitted. That didn't happen to me though, it was another issue and I had a bit of a tanty and have to sort some things out which I will in the near future, after the good lord blesses me with sleep.

Don't worry beaky

My ostracism was advertised for all to see on the last post in my ill-fated protest thread. (Which I can't find now so it must have been deleted) It probably should have been kept as an example of what not to do, and a shrine to my remembrance.

Please note no-one had been gotten-rid-of or deleted. At the time it seemed humerous. It must have been late.

So my message to you all is don't be disruptive.

My posts were moderated for a short period, any I made during that period seem to have come through after a while, just not at the time I made them.

I don't think there is any rule against having fun, or even being silly.

I am sure you may have all seen forums where there are four or five disruptive people who spoil things for everyone. You don't see that here and it's a good thing.

Dissent however could be an item for discuission in another thread. What is dissent, is it allowed, should it be allowed, should it be censored?

We should remember though "this is a private party" and we are privileged to be allowed in.

Antny

Hi, one good reason I assume split this thread will be split soon, is that others may be interested in the off-topic stuff here, which they will not even know exists unless the thread is being split, and the the new thread is given a name title which let's people know what is being discussed in the thread. Please don't look at this as 'being moderated', it's a free (if you want it) service done by a a handful of people who want to contribute to make it easier to navigate around the site, and make the forum easier to read. One reason that other thread was removed was that most of the info was based on guessing about who was on delayed posts on who was not, without looking at the difference between 'can't post' and on 'delayed posts', not to mention that it didn't focus at all that there may be a reason that some people are on delayed posts for a while.

Re. guide lines or 'rules' - I don't even like these words, I prefer to think about communication, not about rules.

Re. swearing, time wasting and being silly - again, all we say is that things are going a bit over the top, they are... going a bit over the top. So we basically just ask people to be sensitive to what others are talking about, and to avoid communicating in away that make people feel hurt or make them not want to participate here.

Delayed Posts doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong at all. It's just a simple way to monitor what's happening BEFORE any moderating or anything else is done.

Also, please don't forget that if a person is on delayed posts, being moderated or even banned I assume that they don't want any negative publicity around that situation, so we won't discuss these things in public.

But since this already has been brought up by yourself: Gliondrach was not moderated, and Adam wasn't even on delayed posts. Anthony was on delayed posts for a while while he was posting ca. 20 posts about the same topic, with huge pictures, based on wrong info.

Nest time something similar happens, please assume that we have a reason for doing what we do, and don't over-dramatize it....

Thanks .
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Naughty Ant

I reckon

let that be a lesson to you

Naughtant ny

I think it would be good to know what others bought a WVD mainly as I'm such a sticky beak .

I bought:
    Myutopia ulta-rich face cream (highly recommended excellent)
    Myutopia shampoo and conditioner
    Earthquest moisurising conditioner
    Pure Earth conditioner
    Integrity conditionerPure Earth Neem soap
    Vegan dog food
    Veg Out tshirt for Connor
    CCF tshirt
    WVD tshirt
    animal liberation tshirt
    against experimentation pen
    vegan fridge magnet
    mango cheesecake
    juice

As you can see I love face creams and hair products, but not much into makeup. I was also running low on tshirts.

I have found the above all to be fantastic products.

Would have loved to have bought the book 'China' something something on health etc, but forgot god dammit . Maybe next year

The China Study, should be in shops now. We boughtours of the web when it was first published in the USA, heard about it and had to read it. It discusses the results of testing on animals but point the finger in a big, scientific way at the over consumption of animals particularly animal derived protein.

What di I buy

Two WVD tea shirts

Heaps of raffle tickets

Chocolate Muffins

THE CHEESECAKE!!!!!!

A book by Peter Singer, a book by Mr Robbins

and the Vegan Resource book

Subscribed to savebabe.com

Bought some Vegan shower gel, and Vegan household cleaner

Got two showbags with goodies in em

bought two pasties (pronounced paahsties)

Some organic fruit and vegetables

Vegan Champagne ( for my partner, I don't do druuugs)

Sweets from Rebeccas Crueltyfree online shop (She had a stall)

and something else but I can't remember

bought more at The Cruelty Free Expo the week before and spent all my money during the week trying Vegan Restaurants and buying other books like The Pig That Sang to the Moon amongst others.

I think you forgot the shoes Mr Imelda Marcos

Quote treehugga
    I think you forgot the shoes Mr Imelda Marcos
    Oh yeah and I'm wearing a pair right now. Vegan Shoes handmade at Vegan Wares in Melbourne Victoria between us we spent $1,000.00 on shoes alone.

Well I had been saving up for a longtime I haven't had new shoes for years and years.

Imeldantony

I would love a pair of their shoes by at the moment they are a little out of my league price wise. Are they really comfy? My feet are fairly flat and ache really quickly. My partner would fall down and faint if I spent a grand on shoes, he thinks my food spending is excessive

Quote abrennan
    Oh yeah and I'm wearing a pair right now. Vegan Shoes handmade at Vegan Wares in Melbourne Victoria between us we spent $1,000.00 on shoes alone.

Well I had been saving up for a longtime I haven't had new shoes for years and years.

Imeldantony
    Holy sheeeeet mate! I just checked out that website and they sure are some expensive shoes. I hope they are comfortable and last a very long time

Quote Roxy
    Holy sheeeeet mate! I just checked out that website and they sure are some expensive shoes. I hope they are comfortable and last a very long time
    The last pair I had are made of the same materials as they use and I have been wearing them for 5 years on most days to work and they are still going, no cracks or tears or scuffs

Antony Good Boy

I (almost) only bought food:

doughnuts doughnuts doughnuts doughnuts (10 exactly...)
    chocolate
    more chocolate
    and then some more... chocolate...
    2 X WVD t-shirts
    2 X "not tested on animals" t-shirts, + a shopping bag
    fridge magnet
    pin
    signed up for WSPA
    vegan cookbook

That's about it... Do you think that's enough?

Yeah I kept looking at the donuts they just kept getting out more and piling them up. But I restrained myself

Why on earth would you want to restrain yourself????? For Gods sake they are VEGAN DOUGHNUTS

I actually only made it to WVD for 10 minutes, so I bought nothing. But the night before I went to Prontos for dinner, and then to Veg Orgasm for dessert where I indulged in a choc jam doughnut. It was scrum-didly-umptious!!!!!!

Anyone try the Leda double choc and choc mint biscuits??? Like Tim Tams and Mint Slices!!!

Quote Banana
    Why on earth would you want to restrain yourself????? For Gods sake they are VEGAN DOUGHNUTS

I actually only made it to WVD for 10 minutes, so I bought nothing. But the night before I went to Prontos for dinner, and then to Veg Orgasm for dessert where I indulged in a choc jam doughnut. It was scrum-didly-umptious!!!!!!

Anyone try the Leda double choc and choc mint biscuits??? Like Tim Tams and Mint Slices!!!
    Cause they're no good for you, and I'd already been eating the cheescake.

Deep fried white flour and sugar may be Vegan but it's all bad.

And it is all yum

Quote Banana
    !!! I was at Veg Orgasm on the Saturday night with four others in the front window from about 7:45 till about 10:00pm! We may have bumped elbows at the desert counter Banana and not even known it!

On the donuts score, they are possibly fried in hydrogenated vegatable oils and that contains trans fats - bad news but if you want to risk it, save them for *rare* special occasions.

The same possibly goes for the range of fatty substances that were masquerading as cream - but once in seven years probably won't kill me...

Ummm are u serious? I think I saw you? Did one of you recommend the vegan pizza? Coz I overheard one of the four boys talking about how good the vegan pizza is. I was sitting at the table next to you with my boyfriend. I was wearing a pink tracksuit.

OK, I just looked at your profile and I am almost certain that I saw you.

Wow! That is so exciting LOL!! You guys sat right next to each other and didn't even know it!