Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: World Vegan Day

Default Re: World Vegan Day

Oh! Damn! Sorry that you mightn't be there!

I will make a suggestion about the Veggie Bar to the others though at your recommendation. Thank you for that!
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

I'll be at World Vegan Day and at Cruelty Free Expo

I'm driving outta Sydney on Satdee morning

If you go there you can recognise me if you're observant

I have a set of tiger-eye beads that I wear on my left wrist. They are a browny colour, it's a long set, 108 beads.

If you are there and observe me please say hello

Antony beads

Mines got no silver and it's longer than this one but similar in colour

I want to go now, just to see your beads Antony.

You can Jacqui but there'll be no-one else there.

Quote abrennan
    You can Jacqui but there'll be no-one else there.
    Mr Smartie Pants

Is anyone here going to the picnic in Sydney?

Kurmudgeon

I'll be at the Sydney picnic.

Quote Kurmudgeon
    I'll be at the Sydney picnic.
    Will it be a fabulous big party or will most Sydney folk head to Melbourne?

My name is Mr Smartie Pants and I am about to get in my car with my partner and drive to Melbourne to be at World Vegan Day tomorrow... YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

antony tiger eye beads on the left wrist

Quote abrennan
    My name is Mr Smartie Pants and I am about to get in my car with my partner and drive to Melbourne to be at World Vegan Day tomorrow... YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

antony tiger eye beads on the left wrist
    Mr Smartie pants...World Vegan Day is next Sunday, not tomorrow....

(Safe Journey Antony Vegan Sojourner)

Quote veganblue
    Mr Smartie pants...World Vegan Day is next Sunday, not tomorrow....

(Safe Journey Antony Vegan Sojourner)
    Poor Mr Smartie Pants has gone too soon.

cross barer

he means the cruelty free lifestyle expo, I hope he doesn't go to Albert Park...

I will be there Alistair, chasing my 3 year old. I was going to wear my treehugger t shirt but got some oil on it while baking a vegan carrot cake, so now will probably have on jeans and black top, so that should make it easy to recognise me - not! Anyway the little guy may give me away he will have on his t shirt with a dragon on it and he yells and talks incessently. You may also recognise me from my partner who will be the guy scratching his head in awe as he has never been to an event like this before

Antony if you are going to be at the Cruelty Free event tomorrow I will be there to say Hi. However, stupid me You probably won't get this message as you are now in your car. I will look for your cool beads

Quote treehugga
    I will be there Alistair, chasing my 3 year old. I was going to wear my treehugger t shirt but got some oil on it while baking a vegan carrot cake, so now will probably have on jeans and black top, so that should make it easy to recognise me - not!

Great! Will probably see you there! I am thinking of wearing something red - it's my favorite colour at the moment.

With your t-shirt, to get the oil out try the following mix:

1 cup grated vegetable soap flakes (plain olive oil soap* for example)
    1 cup metho
    2 tablespoons of eucalyptus oil.

Mix together and store in an air tight jar.

To use, smear some neat onto the stain and scrub gently with a clothes brush and a little water, then, wash either by hand or throw in the wash with your other clothes.

It should get the oil out no worries.

Otherwise I have heard that regular coca cola will get out car grease stains but I have never tried it myself.

*Note : Olive oil soap can be found at most Italian/Mediterranean stores that have everything from coffee through pasta and that kind of thing.

Yes that's right it's world Vegan day everyday in my life

I'm in Melbourne already, there is broadband access in the hotel rooms. So I am plugged into that.

Yipeee I'll be early at the Cruelty Free Festival to make sure to get a showbag

antony coming to you from Melbourne Australia

I forgot to say I am staying the whole week and going to WVD next weeken also.

I went to Cruelty free festival, I saw and I was conquered.

i met Treehugga and her family, and Adam Antichrist

i took some photos that I'l post later on, one of AA with the lettuce lady. Funnily enough we got the same tram to the suburb it was on in. I didn't know it was him till we got of the tram and my partner notice the badges on his bag with Vegan motifs and then I said hello. Well actually I said excuse me are you Adam Antichrist. Lucky he was hey?

I satyed for three hours and got a showbag and bought tshirts candles food makeup raffle tickets and more.

Hello Treehugga

What a lucky beggar you are antony, to meet adam and tree hugga! Did you buy much stuff? Did you meet Jessica from Cruelty Free?
    Eve

Oh yeah sorry, thanks Eve, we met Jessica and took her photo, we bought up big from her stall so she gave us a free cruelty free bag to stash it all in. We'll see her again next weekend at World Vegan Day.

Tonight we're going to vegetarian Orgasm for dinner, last night we went to Enlightened Cuisine.

I'll post the photos and more info tonight when I get back, I'm off out again now, well we are on holidays.

Antony

Hey Antony.
    I enjoyed the Cruelty Free Expo too Great to see a large crowd of supporters there, sorry I didn't meet Adam . I had lunch at the Vegetarian Orgasm on the way home. The dim Sims were nice and the chai vegan ice cream was creamy and delicious. I think the expo has a lot to answer for because after pigging out on all the vegan slices I think I weigh lots more kilos. However, not as many as Antony will weigh as he tells me he is going to eat at every single vegan eatery in Melbourne during the week. I calculate that's about 10 per day according to his extensive list, hope his accommodation has a gym . It's a good idea wearing red to WVD Alistair, it will narrow the croud down much more than if you wear the vegan tshirt. Now I will just have to ask every male if his name is Alistair, how embarrassing Thanks also for the stain removing tip. I will have to call you Jackie French from now on. I do believe it may get the stain off and you will then know me by the Treehugger logo. Yay

*cries*

I wanted to go! I decided not to because I am so behind with exam prep. My parents however took it upon their own initiative to attend and reported back to me with lots of goodies!

And of course, did I get any work done? No *sigh*

My dad and I just watched half of the ALV cd that he brought back. It was so distressing, my dad had to stop watching and I think he's even more committed to becoming closer to becoming a complete dietary vegan and what not.

cross barer

Quote StmpyElephant
    I think he's even more committed to becoming closer to becoming a complete dietary vegan and what not.
    classic LOL

I am so buggered! I spent a few hours in the kitchen but also had another committment to attend in the middle of the afternoon so I did get to bum around a bit, I didn't get to hang out with anybody other than 'the usual suspects'.

I bought a furry little sun bear key ring from the gorgeous girls on the Asian Bear stall, and some vegan parmo off Jessica, and some other random crap that I didn't need, and lots of food that I could have eaten for free had I just stayed in the kitchen.

Achilles the vegan powerlifter (was aussie champion 2003!!!) won the raffle, which was nice that it went to somebody nice (he got a weekend away somewhere cool as well as a bit of everything from all the stalls).

Sorry I didn't get to meet you treehugga, maybe next week?

so here's my CFE-WVD activity week so far

last night we went to Vegan Orgasm, nice food but a bit pricey but nice food, we had nachos and a grilled veggie plate then a vegan pizza then two pieces of cakey stuff that was so sweet and chocolatey that it could be arrested.

Today we went to vegan wares who make shoes without leather and bought shoes each.

I went to every bookship I could see and I bought VEGAN:The new ethics of eating, by Erik Markus, you can download it for free from his website but it's to hard to read a book on the PC. I also bought Vegan planet: 400 reciped from around the world, by Robin Robertson and i also bought So you Kill ants, By John Waddell.

Phew.

For dinner we're going to go to Sharma's pure vegetarian indian restaurant.
    Melbourne Rocks let me tell you.

Antony you will make yourself sick with all that eating Hope you're havin fun in good ol Melbourne. For ages I was wondering if Adam was the rabbit at the expo . Don't spend all that money guys we still have next Sunday to go and I have been scrubbing the stain madly

*ican'twaitican'twaitican'twaitican'twait*

Banana recommends Pronto Brontos and we are planning on going to Vegetarian Orgasm - only there one night and torn between the two!

cross barer

Quote veganblue
    *ican'twaitican'twaitican'twaitican'twait*

Banana recommends Pronto Brontos and we are planning on going to Vegetarian Orgasm - only there one night and torn between the two!
    Prontos is great for the experience of walking into a fast food place, getting burgers chips snacks cake and a cuppa and walking out the door with a bag full of VEGAN food.

Can't be beat.

I haven't tried Pronto Brontos yet. I saw it today.

Tonight we went to Sharmas and it wasn't even there any more. We did a bit of tram hopping, my partner used to live here so she knows here way about and we ended up at another Indian place called Nirvana, the people who run the place were very friendly and we had great Vegan food.

Did I say that we were staying in an apartment that is in level 31 of the buildinga nd we have this incredible view of Melbourne and out into the bay too.

Treehugga I'm not eating any more than breakfast lunch and dinner, I'm having breakfast at home too.

I would go with Adam Antichrist and Banana's recomendation VeganBlue. Orgasm was OK, the cake department was best, but the main meals weren't anything special.

cross barer

Quote abrennan
    I haven't tried Pronto Brontos yet. I saw it today.

Tonight we went to Sharmas and it wasn't even there any more. We did a bit of tram hopping, my partner used to live here so she knows here way about and we ended up at another Indian place called Nirvana, the people who run the place were very friendly and we had great Vegan food.

Did I say that we were staying in an apartment that is in level 31 of the buildinga nd we have this incredible view of Melbourne and out into the bay too.

Treehugga I'm not eating any more than breakfast lunch and dinner, I'm having breakfast at home too.

I would go with Adam Antichrist and Banana's recomendation VeganBlue. Orgasm was OK, the cake department was best, but the main meals weren't anything special.
    I'm honestly not making a habit of contradicting you today Antony

But if you were there for lunch on sunday the owner/chef was actually at the cruelty free lifestyle expo, so somebody else cooked your food. The owner is the heart and soul of the restaurant and the food is always good when she's there.

Quote adam antichrist
    I'm honestly not making a habit of contradicting you today Antony

But if you were there for lunch on sunday the owner/chef was actually at the cruelty free lifestyle expo, so somebody else cooked your food. The owner is the heart and soul of the restaurant and the food is always good when she's there.
    Yes I think that she turned up whilst we were eating there was a flurry of activity as they brought things in from the car that had been at the expo.

you blyydy contradictor

Hi yall.
    Vegan Blue don't worry, you can probably try both Veg Orgasm & Prontos at WVD. Well some cake & stuff anyway. Antony I'm glad to hear you've slowed down at last. My carnivorous sister in law has threatened to have a sausage sizzle out the front of WVD, she thinks I'm a hippy nut - quite a complement really. I told her we were already having one at the event, that confused her until I mentioned we would be having soy based food. She refused my invite to join us. I wonder if many meat eaters attend? It would be interesting to know.

Quote treehugga
    Hi yall.
    Vegan Blue don't worry, you can probably try both Veg Orgasm & Prontos at WVD. Well some cake & stuff anyway. Antony I'm glad to hear you've slowed down at last. My carnivorous sister in law has threatened to have a sausage sizzle out the front of WVD, she thinks I'm a hippy nut - quite a complement really. I told her we were already having one at the event, that confused her until I mentioned we would be having soy based food. She refused my invite to join us. I wonder if many meat eaters attend? It would be interesting to know.
    I'm sure they do, there are interested people and those who happen by might drop in as it is free entry.

They're funny them meatatarians though. On our holidays travels we went to Victoria Markets Melbourne. I bought new sunglasses and a new umbrella, I lost my brolly and broke my sunnies, both which happen to me all the time. Anyway there is a vegetarian cafe at the markets that we heard about so we looked it up. It wasn't too bad. We're sitting there eating a snack when a family of two kids and two parents arrive. The man sits down with the kids and the woman goes to the counter. A few mins later she comes up to the man and says "This is a vegetarian place" and she makes that movement with her head that says "let's get outta here" he says "oh ok" she says "No it's vegetarian only" He says "Yeah alright lets stay" she says "let's stay? what are we going to eat?" He says "Anything"

We laugh, quietly.

Today we went to Shakira an indian veg*n place for lunch, it was great. That was lunch. For dinner we went to the White Lotus restaurant which is near Victoria Markets, it was chinese home cooking but a bit over done for my liking. I impressed the owner with my knowledge of religion by recognising the statue of Ji Gung on the counter and by identifying his esoteric, and almost secret, religious group- "Tien Dao" and he invited me to attend his prayer hall.

Now I'm back at my holiday apartment sipposedly finishing the project brief they found for me to do at work whilst watching Firefly on DVD and posting here.

Antony

I've heard the white lotus is really good and was planning to try it in a couple of weeks as I will be on holidays - hurray My eldest son is doing religious studies at uni 2nd year as well as philosophy. It's a pity you won't get to meet him as you could both have some good discussion. He is an atheist though, my partner is into Buddism on a small scale. I am a bit of a pagan but am interested in lots of stuff but too lazy to be fanatical about anything. You seem so busy. I think you will need a holiday after your holiday

cross barer

White Lotus is cool, going there for a friends birthday on saturday night. It's best with a group cause you can have the banquet and get to try a bit of everything. I love the tamarind fish and the roast duck and the chicken drumsticks and the banana desserty things yummmmmmmmm can't wait...

I'll have to mention Ji Gung myself, pretending I know all about it.

(How do you pronounce it Antony? )

ETA make sure you try Soul Mama at St Kilda beach antony, great food, great view.

You'll have a nice laugh at the victorians idea of a beach too!

Quote treehugga
    I've heard the white lotus is really good and was planning to try it in a couple of weeks as I will be on holidays - hurray My eldest son is doing religious studies at uni 2nd year as well as philosophy. It's a pity you won't get to meet him as you could both have some good discussion. He is an atheist though, my partner is into Buddism on a small scale. I am a bit of a pagan but am interested in lots of stuff but too lazy to be fanatical about anything. You seem so busy. I think you will need a holiday after your holiday
    I think studying religion can give you an appreciation for the diveristy in life. I know it has helped me be closer to people of all culture and colour, you don't have to believe it. It can still open your mind. Once you grasp enough of it you can't believe it anyway, how can they all be correct? I started to see the underlying function of religion. Like many things human it becomes a destroyer rather than the builder it should be. But it can definitley build.

We were just saying yesterday, my partner and I, how this holiday isn't lke our normal holidays. We're going to take a day off from the city and go to the country for a rest, any suggestions Victorianites.

Quote adam antichrist
    White Lotus is cool, going there for a friends birthday on saturday night. It's best with a group cause you can have the banquet and get to try a bit of everything. I love the tamarind fish and the roast duck and the chicken drumsticks and the banana desserty things yummmmmmmmm can't wait...

I'll have to mention Ji Gung myself, pretending I know all about it.

(How do you pronounce it Antony? )

ETA make sure you try Soul Mama at St Kilda beach antony, great food, great view.

You'll have a nice laugh at the victorians idea of a beach too!
    You go up to the counter and you say, isn't that Buddha Ji Gung? (Gee Goong, like chung) You don't see him around very often.

then when they say do you know about Buddhism you have to put your hands together and bow and say, only a little and a few other humble things, then they invite you to join them. Let us know how you go.

Yeah we have Soul Mama on our list for lunch today, thanks for the advice

Antony

Antony, Daylesford is lovely and you will find vegan food there, although there is no vegan restaurant as such, and lots of alternative therapies. Hepburn Springs which is next door has a veg restaurant but I have yet to try it. This area is not too far from Melb, You could also check out Ballarat nearby, but I am not all that keen on Ballarat. I live in Bendigo which is a large rural town, city really, in the central goldfield district, it's interesting and full of culture but very conservative. Bendigo has a large Atisha Buddist Centre which you would probably find interesting. They are in the process of building a Stupa (pls forgive my spelling if incorrect). The only good place to eat here is the Thai restaurant that does a great vegan curry. The Dandenongs are beautiful

Antony,

I'm trying to learn from the MASTER how to fit all the best vegan food in Melbourne in only four days... You are really inspiring!

I'm arriving early Thursday morning and I'm not planning anything BUT going to all those great restaurants/eateries/cafes whatever.
    Although Thursday + Friday I'll be working (in Aspendale) but I'll have the evenings to explore the gourmet food... My mouth is watering just from thinkning about it... Oh yes and I'll probably have to shop for a few 2-sizes-bigger clothing...

So hoping to you see you all guys at WVD - I'm planning on breaking my normal pattern of being horribly shy and try to actually make contact with you there...

Maya

Quote abrennan

I promise you - Sharmas is still there! It is up the road from my boyfriend's parents house. It is a shame you missed out coz Nirvana is feral in comparison. Where were you????

Quote adam antichrist

I went there twice - first time we loved it, second time, I could have thrown up. I won't be going back there.

cross barer

Quote Banana
    I went there twice - first time we loved it, second time, I could have thrown up. I won't be going back there.
    ummm, I've only been there the once...

Quote Banana
    I promise you - Sharmas is still there! It is up the road from my boyfriend's parents house. It is a shame you missed out coz Nirvana is feral in comparison. Where were you????
    Hello Banana

We got the address for Sharmas from the Vegetarian Network Victoria web site. It said it was at 257 glenferrie rd Malvern. We trammed it out there from South Bank where we are staying and it is now a Malaysian restaurant, they have a sign in the window saying they cater for vegans but they were closed when we got there. So we trammed off again.

I also noticed that Sharmas are no longer listed on the Vegetarian Network Victoria web site. Have you got some other address for em Banana? I still have time to try them if they have moved somewheres else.

I like Nirvana. I've been to India and eaten in ashrams there and the food was consistent with that and the people were very friendly.

Shakahara where I went the other day (I called it shakira back in the post I made, was nouvelle cuisine compared to Nirvana but more business like and posh like.

So where's that there Sharmas then Nana?

Namaste Antony

Quote newmayaml
    Antony,

I'm trying to learn from the MASTER how to fit all the best vegan food in Melbourne in only four days... You are really inspiring!

I'm arriving early Thursday morning and I'm not planning anything BUT going to all those great restaurants/eateries/cafes whatever.
    Although Thursday + Friday I'll be working (in Aspendale) but I'll have the evenings to explore the gourmet food... My mouth is watering just from thinkning about it... Oh yes and I'll probably have to shop for a few 2-sizes-bigger clothing...

So hoping to you see you all guys at WVD - I'm planning on breaking my normal pattern of being horribly shy and try to actually make contact with you there...

Maya
    Mate, there's a million places to eat here Maya, we have a map of Melbourne and it's suburbs with them marked on it and they are like a cluster of stars. Look for my Tiger Eye beads on my left wrist at Vegan Day, don't worry I am very friendly, so be sure to say hello.

Antony Vegan Day

Quote treehugga
    Antony, Daylesford is lovely and you will find vegan food there, although there is no vegan restaurant as such, and lots of alternative therapies. Hepburn Springs which is next door has a veg restaurant but I have yet to try it. This area is not too far from Melb, You could also check out Ballarat nearby, but I am not all that keen on Ballarat. I live in Bendigo which is a large rural town, city really, in the central goldfield district, it's interesting and full of culture but very conservative. Bendigo has a large Atisha Buddist Centre which you would probably find interesting. They are in the process of building a Stupa (pls forgive my spelling if incorrect). The only good place to eat here is the Thai restaurant that does a great vegan curry. The Dandenongs are beautiful
    Thanks for the hints. I forgot about the Stupa, yes you got the spelling right. I have read about it in a few international Buddhist mags that I pick up once in a while.

Hey I have to get around to PMing you with the piccie uploading buisness and some vegan restraunts on my list in YOUR town.

Mebbe going up country tomorrow.

See ya

Antony bumpkin

Quote adam antichrist
    ummm, I've only been there the once...
    I went to Soul Mamas today and I was impressed to the Max. We plan to go back again we were so impressed. What a variety of food. The desert made me laugh out loud, ha ha ha ha haaaaa. And a nice view of the churning ocean right out the big windows.

They have vegetarian and vegan but there where about 7 or 8 vegan things and a couola vegan desserts in the menu. They said they change things all the time so mebbe you got a bad day there Banana. I'm ginna go back and see if it makes me vomit, I thought it was great. They sold alcohol which I am principally opposed to but it seems to be the way of Melbourne that even cafes have toxic liquors on sale. It probably increases the business if you can have alcohol as well as food.

I just came back from my second experience at Enlightened Cuisine. It's Chinese and big on the meat analogue, mock meat thing. But it's pretty good and the staff are friendly even though it's all posh looking.

What will tomorrow bring? I don't know yet, better look at the map.

I'm a Soul Mama, doo do dooo do do doot
    I'm a Soul Mama doot do doo doot doot!!!

cross barer

Yeah I was very surprised by the ubiquitous presence of alcohol. Do you also notice how many people smoke in Melbourne? I am constantly surprised that when you go anywhere there are attractive young women sucking away at cancer sticks.

I am waiting for Antony to post his photos

Quote Roxy
    I am waiting for Antony to post his photos
    Oh yeah, Im getting to it, sorry....Ooooohh the suspense

or as my mum would say: "You got me all in suspenders" see it's not my fault it's me mums

Quote adam antichrist
    Yeah I was very surprised by the ubiquitous presence of alcohol. Do you also notice how many people smoke in Melbourne? I am constantly surprised that when you go anywhere there are attractive young women sucking away at cancer sticks.
    Well the thing I did notice was that there are these things in resaurants called SMOKING AREAS, do you want the non smoking area, well dud I need a freaking big fan to keep thye smoke from the other area from getting into mine, thank god in Sydney there's no smooking inside and soon, or so I understand, there'll be no smoking near food.

There are a lot of young people smoking in Sydney, it always surprises me but it is a very addictive drug. I prefer to describe that the sticks are sucking on their very life, and on ours if we get too close.

What always amazes me is the way that a lot of smokers hold the cigarette away from themselves so the smoke doesn't choke them it chokes us instead.

Oh stop me I'm ranting.

rasn frasn musn grisn grasn smokers

Oh Banana

I just got the Vegie Network of Victoria newsletter and in it was this

CLOSED DOWN: SHARMA'S PURE VEGAN VEGETARIAN RESTAURANT & TAKEAWAY
    Unfortunately, Sharma's, at 257 Glenferrie Road, Malvern, has also recently

closed down.

it's a sad time for us all

I love your little sad face Mr Smartie Pants.

It is fun reading of your Victorian adventures but we are still waiting for photos.