Thread: yet they still keep eating it!

Angry yet they still keep eating it!

Victoria Korolik, of the Griffith Institute for Glycomics, said around 200,000 Australians fell ill annually from a form of food poisoning caused by Campylobacter bacteria. The bacteria was spread through contaminated meats, particularly poultry, unpasteurised milk and unchlorinated water.

Dr Korolik said the illness caused gastroenteritis which could be mild, or extremely severe, requiring a person to be hospitalised.

"They can end up with what's called bloody dysentry, with high fever, secreting diarrhoea with blood and pus and mucous," she said in an interview. Sometimes, not very frequently, you can have an after effect where people can become paralysed because their immune systems confuse nerve cells with bacteria."

Dr Korolik said in Australia, the summer barbecue could be a source of the problem. "People will undercook their meat, particularly their chicken," Dr Korolik said. Or they will cook their meat properly, and then contaminate it by putting it back in the same tray where they've held the raw meat. A very large proportion of people don't observe basic hygiene."

Griffith University is co-hosting a meeting on the Gold Coast from Sunday, of 350 international researchers on Campylobacter bacteria and related organisms.
    Eve

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: yet they still keep eating it!

Pathetic. A friend's husband recently stopped being a vegetarian and ate quite a bit of sea animals while away on vacation. He got violently ill for WEEKS (turns out it was a bacterial infection) and I wonder if he'll make the connection. I am sending this message of yours to them, Eve. Thanks!

I've been wanting to respond to this quote but I can only say 'exactly!'

I have always thought that most humans live lives of ignorance. i don't mean than in the pejorative. But the majority seem to be unaware of what they are doing and what the impact of those things on their selves, their community, other creatures and the environment.

When you are ignorant you can't see or understand what it is that you are ignorant of.

An interesting thing is that every year our countries give what would amount to bilions of dollars a year in tax concessions to companies who produce cigarettes and alcohol and who sell dismembered animals, then we spend billions of dollars dealing with the fallout from the people who consume these things, then we spend bilions of dollars informing people of the problems with consuming these things. How strange, what a crazy kind of ignorance we all live in.

yet still we keep living in it.

Thank the universe for Vegans.

Seaside

Quote eve
    Dr Korolik said in Australia, the summer barbecue could be a source of the problem. "People will undercook their meat, particularly their chicken," Dr Korolik said.
    This reminds me of a scene from a movie in the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" series. They were viewing some stock footage of a typical American Labor Day picnic, and the little wise-crackers at the bottom of the screen said "Mmmm, and here's the medium rare chicken, basted with sun-brewed mayonnaise!" when a scene of chicken on the barbecue was shown.

cross barer

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Pathetic. A friend's husband recently stopped being a vegetarian and ate quite a bit of sea animals while away on vacation. He got violently ill for WEEKS (turns out it was a bacterial infection) and I wonder if he'll make the connection. I am sending this message of yours to them, Eve. Thanks!
    God, I never liked seafood but after reading Peas story about her poor dad and now this one I can't see how anyone can be brave enough to

Quote eve
    "They can end up with what's called bloody dysentry, with high fever, secreting diarrhoea with blood and pus and mucous," she said in an interview. Sometimes, not very frequently, you can have an after effect where people can become paralysed because their immune systems confuse nerve cells with bacteria."
    Isn't that just lovely!

Especially in Queensland where we love our almost-year-round BBQ's - I can see that this would be a real problem. I guess a lot of people get sick from this type of thing but just don't put 2 and 2 together. Instead, they probably think that they have caught some type of a stomach bug.

But then again, pus, mucous and blood mixed in with your diarrhoea. I'd think I was dying if I saw that in MY toilet bowl!!

year-round bbqs, know what you mean Roxy, but I really dislike the situation that whenever a group of friends, or a group from an organisation go on a picnic, or a coach trip somewhere, they invariably arrange for a bbq lunch! Are they lazy or what? And I certainly can't hack the stink of burning flesh if I'm out in a lovely bush setting - or anywhere else!
    Eve

Quote Seaside
    This reminds me of a scene from a movie in the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" series. They were viewing some stock footage of a typical American Labor Day picnic, and the little wise-crackers at the bottom of the screen said "Mmmm, and here's the medium rare chicken, basted with sun-brewed mayonnaise!" when a scene of chicken on the barbecue was shown.

I soooo enjoy that show!

My husband, the vegan of circumstance, will have animal products (sometimes ) when not eating at home. He invariably gets some type of gastrointestinal upset - I've noticed that his consumption of animal products is decreasing with time.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein