Thread: Geographic Tongue

Default Geographic Tongue

Is anyone familiar with the term "geographic tongue"?
    I’ve been getting this a lot lately. It comes and it goes. It’s happened to me a couple of times after eating soy patties. I did a google search and found that some people who have had it take zinc tablets (or some zinc supplement) and it goes away. I also discovered another research that says it might be a food allergy. I recently drank some soy milk and it seemed to aggravate my tongue a little though I am unclear whether it has anything to do with the soy milk. I would really be unhappy if I had to find a supplement for my soy milk since it is fortified with many vitamins. Is this a symptom of a soy allergy? What are the symptoms?

I also had a salad some dressing and sesame tahini. The tahini seemed to also have an affect on my tongue, tonight and on another occasion. Though I’m still unsure whether it’s due to the tahini.

??
    Last edited by etherweb; Sep 6th, 2005 at 05:47 AM. Reason: added more info

Seaside

Default Re: Geographic Tongue

I've never heard of it. Vegans don't like to hear anything negative about soy, but soy is right up there with eggs and milk as a food that many people can have intolerances for.

Give up suspect foods for a week, and then re-introduce them one by one, and note any reactions. Hopefully you are reacting to the more highly processed stuff.

Once you figure out what is doing this, you may not have to give it up entirely. You can follow a rotation diet where you only eat it on certain days. It is worth finding a good book on food allergies and rotation diets if you think this is your problem.

I'm sesame-wheat/kamut/spelt-tomatoes, myself. I do not deliberately eat any food I'm allergic to. Hives, asthma (sometimes severe), extreme sleepiness, nausea, etc. -- none of these are things I wish to inflict upon myself. It took me a while to realize I had food allergies again (problematic as a child). Thankfully, my body decided to send me an obvious message -- the hives.

I know a lot of people suggest rotation diets, but I kind of felt better about eliminating the item in question. Then, from there, I rotate like crazy and try not to become fixated on a particular food item. I do feel better. It turns out the asthma that I had always attributed solely to pollens, etc. was in larger part caused by what I was eating. Now it's primarily under control.

I've never heard of it. Vegans don't like to hear anything negative about soy, but soy is right up there with eggs and milk as a food that many people can have intolerances for.

Give up suspect foods for a week, and then re-introduce them one by one, and note any reactions. Hopefully you are reacting to the more highly processed stuff.

Once you figure out what is doing this, you may not have to give it up entirely. You can follow a rotation diet where you only eat it on certain days. It is worth finding a good book on food allergies and rotation diets if you think this is your problem.
    I like this idea! Any good suggestions for substituting the Edensoy Extra soymilk? I would like something for my cereal. I would need to find something fortified in calcium, vitamin D2, vitamin E, vitamin B12, and beta carotene vitamin A. I’m sure there are many, though just looking for some suggestions in addition to my searching.

Gliondrach

Hello, Ether. Welcome to the forum.

Geographic Tongue? I thought you were referring to Esperanto or something like that. Never heard of it. Is it just the one type of soya milk that causes it? If so, there are many brands. They all seem to have various vits and calcium added. What else was in the patties?

Seaside

Try rice milk. Rice is supposed to be very hypoallergenic. There is a diet that you try for a week or two, consisting of rice eaten in many different forms, all kinds of vegetables, but fruits limited to very mild ones like apples and pears. You can get rice protein powders if you are concerned about protein intake during this time, as soy and nuts, and most grains except rice should be avoided. I have a couple of books on allergy exclusion diets, but they are in storage I think. There is also a pulse test you can take to find out if you react to certain foods. You take your pulse, and then eat the food. Take your pulse after you have eaten the food, and if it has increased by 10 or more beats per minute, it is supposed to mean that you may be sensitive to the food.
    You should really find a good book, though, as I am only going by memory here.

Default Tongue Getting Better - Trouble Swallowing

There is also a pulse test you can take to find out if you react to certain foods. You take your pulse, and then eat the food. Take your pulse after you have eaten the food, and if it has increased by 10 or more beats per minute, it is supposed to mean that you may be sensitive to the food.
    Thanks I’ll give this a try.

“Try rice milk. Rice is supposed to be very hypoallergenic. There is a diet that you try for a week or two, consisting of rice eaten in many different forms, all kinds of vegetables, but fruits limited to very mild ones like apples and pears. You can get rice protein powders if you are concerned about protein intake during this time, as soy and nuts, and most grains except rice should be avoided. I have a couple of books on allergy exclusion diets, but they are in storage I think.”
    Could you post the titles of these books? This sounds like one that I would like to read- own. Did you try any of those allergy exclusion diets? How long do you think it takes before you show dramatic signs of an allergic reaction…because there was a time when I was eating a lot of soy products (Gardenburgers, Boca and Morning Star Products). I didn’t notice any real strong reactions until I introduced the soymilk with my eating though I also started doing the sesame tahini about the same time.

Actually there are just a few products or foods that I suspect as having an affect on me. The Geo Tongue thing seems to have been brought on by a particular veggie patty though now the tongue thing seems to clearing up very nicely- it’s virtually gone now. Lately I’ve been having a big problem swallowing normally. I’ve eliminated the Udo’s Oil since I believe it is causing me to have trouble swallowing. I now have replaced the Udo’s Oil with a Flax Seed Oil which also seems to have more Omega 3. I also believe that the trouble swallowing thing might be brought on by the soymilk, the sesame tahini or the other soy beans and seeds which is why I believe these books might help out.
    Should I post this somewhere else now since I’m changing this Geographic Tongue topic to a Swallowing Issue. Not sure.

So has anyone heard of someone having problems with swallowing, being a vegetarian or vegan?

Seaside

Default Re: Tongue Getting Better - Trouble Swallowing

Quote etherweb
    Thanks I’ll give this a try.

Could you post the titles of these books? This sounds like one that I would like to read- own. Did you try any of those allergy exclusion diets? How long do you think it takes before you show dramatic signs of an allergic reaction…because there was a time when I was eating a lot of soy products (Gardenburgers, Boca and Morning Star Products). I didn’t notice any real strong reactions until I introduced the soymilk with my eating though I also started doing the sesame tahini about the same time.

Actually there are just a few products or foods that I suspect as having an affect on me. The Geo Tongue thing seems to have been brought on by a particular veggie patty though now the tongue thing seems to clearing up very nicely- it’s virtually gone now. Lately I’ve been having a big problem swallowing normally. I’ve eliminated the Udo’s Oil since I believe it is causing me to have trouble swallowing. I now have replaced the Udo’s Oil with a Flax Seed Oil which also seems to have more Omega 3. I also believe that the trouble swallowing thing might be brought on by the soymilk, the sesame tahini or the other soy beans and seeds which is why I believe these books might help out.
    Should I post this somewhere else now since I’m changing this Geographic Tongue topic to a Swallowing Issue. Not sure.

So has anyone heard of someone having problems with swallowing, being a vegetarian or vegan?
    I'll try to find them. I haven't tried the diets myself, I am just curious and like to read about all kinds of stuff.