Thread: Chinese Meat: Health Alert

Default Chinese Meat: Health Alert

Hello folks,

Just a heads-up on possible Chinese yak meat fraud/health alert: a raid on Manikengo Yak Slaughterhouse in Ganzi Prefecture, China early this August revealed a large number of animals other than yaks, including dogs.

Here is one link to the report: http://www.phayul.com/news/article.a...use+in+Sichuan

All the best,

Jack Ryan
    Madison, WI

Default Re: Chinese Meat: Health Alert

What an awful story!! Although - I'm not quite clear as to why it's posted here.

Why indeed!

I guess it does seem a bit of a strange topic for a vegan board. On other boards we had been discussing talking points for people who are currently meat-eaters but considering vegetarianism/veganism. Some peope are doing it for health reasons, in part because fraud and poor sanitation are rampant in the meat industry. With today's fondness for "exotic" meats, I thought it might be worth pointing out to our meat-eating friends that "organic, lean yak steaks" are as suspect as anything else, especially if they come from China. China is mass-farming and slaughtering yaks by the hundreds of thousands, in horrible conditions, and possibly adding other small animals to their "yak" exports.

Jack

Mmmm yes I can see that it is certainly an abhorent trade that is going on. However, I don't think it has as much relevance here as it might on other boards. We are all pretty much vegans here, except perhaps for a couple of people who are posting only in the "Not a Vegan Yet" thread.

Thanks for the heads up though - we may be able to warn those meat eaters we come into contact with in "real life".