Thread: Animal organ trials 'within five years'

Default Animal organ trials 'within five years'

Default Re: Animal organ trials 'within five years'

I remember being in a televised (not in the main media sadly) debate at Uni about 8 odd years ago on the subject of 'xenotransplantation'. It was a debate between animal rights people and non-animal rights as such. It was an interesting debate from what I can remember but scary because I believe so many people will be for it because of speciest attitudes, and the belief that human animals survival is more important than the survival of non-human animals.

Uncaged have highlighted work around xenotransplantation. Click here for details ... http://www.uncaged.co.uk/xeno.htm

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Yeah as it stands now humans happy to have other species exploited for the taste on a plate so of course they can justify the exploitation for "Life and death" matters be it testing or organ transplants.

Was reading in Animal Aid magazine think it was how vivisectionists send their propaganda to all schools presenting the friendly, "necessary" face of "animal research". They use the book/TV series "Pig Heart Boy" to argue their case. Wonder if they in any way bank rolled that franchise at any stage? Anyway this is the website: http://www.medicalmouse.org.uk/

Bloooooooming eck thats scarey <hair stands on end> I will have to look out for that incase my son gets that propagander thrown at him when he is at school!! Clever b****rds arn't they, ahhhhhh!! makes my blood boil!! All so that the vivisector can be paid vast amounts of money to keep them in a job, conning people that this sort of thing works .... yeah right!!!

Gliondrach

The people who get the transplants will have to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of their lives. It would be much better to concentrate on growing human organs and tissues from the patients' own cells. Then their bodies will accept the transplants. There is some research into this. I'm all for this as long as it doesn't involve animal experiments. It probably would involve animals but there would be no need for that. All that would be needed would be for the cells to be cultured, grown into whatever is needed and then sewn into the body. An ear was grown recently using a lad's cells which were grown in some sort of matrix and then put on a mouse's back to continue growing. Grotesque. Why couldn't the ear have been sewn on to the boy's leg or waist?

Quote Stormypagan
    Bloooooooming eck thats scarey <hair stands on end> I will have to look out for that incase my son gets that propagander thrown at him when he is at school!! Clever b****rds arn't they, ahhhhhh!! makes my blood boil!! All so that the vivisector can be paid vast amounts of money to keep them in a job, conning people that this sort of thing works .... yeah right!!!
    Sick isn't it? The Thought Police getting in there early. Among the cartoon smiley animals and beautiful clean laboratory pictures full of loving scientists they have anti-AR sentiment about "extremists" wanting humans to die instead of get medical help and so on.

That's why I wonder about the book and BBC series "Pig Heart Boy", strange topic to write about and ready made vivisection ad by appealing to kids and putting them in same place as the boy who would have died otherwise.

Do the pigs get to sign a form saying that they wish to be an organ donor upon their death?

Really - the thought of transplanting non-human organs into a human creates all sorts of negative feelings inside me.

Thanks for that article Lincoln Imp. My boyfriend just renewed his driver's licence and they gave him a form to fill out for if he chooses to be an organ donor. I have just read him the article, in the hope that it will help him make his decision.

Dr Warrens said the shortfall in the number of donor organs needed by doctors was intense: for every human organ that becomes available for transplant, there are five people on waiting lists who could benefit.
    Even though this is an article from the U.K. - it's scary to think that this could be anywhere in the Western world.