Thread: High-Carb, Vegan Diet Causes Major Weight Loss

Arrow High-Carb, Vegan Diet Causes Major Weight Loss

New Study Shows High-Carb, Vegan Diet Causes Major Weight Loss

Even with No Calorie-Cutting or Exercise, Diet is More Effective Than a Typical Low-Fat Diet

PCRM , Friday, September 9, 2005

WASHINGTON—A low-fat, plant-based diet is more effective at helping women lose weight and improve insulin sensitivity than an omnivorous diet, shows a new study appearing in the September issue of The American Journal of Medicine. The study, involving 59 overweight, postmenopausal women, was conducted by Neal D. Barnard, M.D., president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), together with colleagues at Georgetown University Hospital and George Washington University. Half of the study participants followed a vegan diet; the other half followed a control diet based on National Cholesterol Education Program guidelines.

“The study participants following the vegan diet enjoyed unlimited servings of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and other healthful foods that enabled them to lose weight without feeling hungry,” says Dr. Barnard, the lead author. “As they began to experience the positive effects, weight loss and improved insulin sensitivity, the women in the intervention group became even more motivated to follow the plant-based eating plan.”

Scientific studies show that obesity and overweight are far less prevalent in populations following a plant-based diet. In a recent study of more than 55,000 Swedish women, Tufts University researcher P. Kirstin Newby and her colleagues found that 40 percent of meat-eaters were overweight or obese while only 25 to 29 percent of vegetarians and vegans were. Worldwide, vegetarian populations experience lower rates of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and other life-threatening diseases. A new study appearing in September’s Journal of Urology shows that a low-fat, primarily vegan diet may slow the progression of prostate cancer.

The simplicity of a vegan diet appeals to people who are busy with work and family, and many familiar recipes are easy to adapt. At least four studies published in peer-reviewed journals show that patients give the low-fat vegetarian diet a high rating in terms of acceptability, and that the transition only takes about three weeks or less.

For a copy of the new paper published in The American Journal of Medicine, please contact Jeanne S. McVey at 202-686-2210, ext. 316, or jeannem@pcrm.org.

Founded in 1985, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is a nonprofit health organization that promotes preventive medicine, especially good nutrition. PCRM also conducts clinical research studies, opposes unethical human experimentation, and promotes alternatives to animal research.

Default Re: High-Carb, Vegan Diet Causes Major Weight Loss

Quote gertvegan
    The simplicity of a vegan diet appeals to people who are busy with work and family, and many familiar recipes are easy to adapt. At least four studies published in peer-reviewed journals show that patients give the low-fat vegetarian diet a high rating in terms of acceptability, and that the transition only takes about three weeks or less.
    Ohhhhh! That's good news!!

Thanks for the heads up, Gert! I didn't read this one yet. I can't wait to show it to all the docs at work.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

yogini

Default scotsman article

there was a very brief article in the scotsman newspaper today titled 'vegan diet helps women to lose weight' .

it began well enough..
    'previous studies have found that worldwide, vegetarians and vegans experience lower rates of obesity, heart disease, diabetes and some forms of cancer than meat eaters.'

but they had a quote by a spokesperson for the dairy industry who said:
    'the study is interesting but it did not look at the long term effects of such a diet..there is concern that people who follow such a diet..may not be getting all the nutrients they need'

who is concerned, the dairy industry?!!!!

'animal foods such as milk and dairy can help with weight loss, bone health and reducing blood pressure.'

!!!!
    soya has protein, more calcium and way less fat..and is proven to reduce cholesterol..

this article made veganism sound like a new fad whose health benefits were yet to be proven..

Default Re: scotsman article

I wonder why they would put such a misleading heading on this article, when it really comes off as making veganism look like a fad. I hate sentences that start with "There is concern...." because as you said, they don't say who is the one concerned and why!!! I thought there are some long-term studies showing the benefits of veganism, but maybe I'm mistaken...
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Default Re: scotsman article

There goes the dairy industry once again - trying to worm their way into everything!

Default This one ??

Quote screamingcarrot
    there was a very brief article in the scotsman newspaper today titled 'vegan diet helps women to lose weight'
    Vegan diet 'helps women to lose weight'

EBEN HARRELL, Wed 14 Sep 2005, http://news.scotsman.com

WOMEN who follow a vegan diet, while eating as much as they want when they want, are more likely to lose weight than women on traditional diets, a new study has found.

Researchers from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Washington DC examined 59 overweight women over 14 weeks, with about half on a traditional weight-loss diet and the other half on a diet which allowed them to eat as much as they desired, but without meat, cheese, milk or heavily oily foods such as chips.

Dr Neal Barnard, the chief researcher, said."By sticking to a low-fat vegan diet, women lost more weight than those on the [traditional] diet, even without restricting portions. They lost about a pound a week, whereas [traditional dieters] lost about 8lb in 14 weeks.

"We also saw other health benefits, such as drops in cholesterol and increased energy levels."

Dr Barnard, who heads the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, said the absence of calorie-rich fats in meat and dairy foods naturally reduced the vegans' calorie intake. Also, the added fibre in fruits, whole grains and beans helped to prevent cravings and hunger pangs.

The team also observed that vegans burn more calories in the act of digestion than meat-eaters and that vegans better control their insulin levels. The team has now begun a study to test the effects of a vegan diet on diabetics.

Previous studies have found that, worldwide, vegetarians and vegans experience lower rates of obesity, heart disease, diabetes and some forms of cancer than meat-eaters.

A spokeswoman for the British Dairy Council expressed concern over the latest study. She said: "The study is interesting, but it did not look at the long-term consequences of such a diet ... There is a concern that people who decide to follow a similar diet ... may not get all the nutrients they need.

"A previous study showed that diets that do not include meat, fish and dairy foods often do not meet recommended amounts of some essential nutrients.

"Animal foods such as milk and dairy may help with weight loss, bone health and reducing blood pressure."

Janet Pender, the chief executive of the Vegan Society UK, said weight loss should not be the primary reason women consider veganism: "I would like to say 'follow a vegan diet and the weight will drop' but my eyes don't tell me that. Vegans are often overweight. If you want to get calories you are going to get them. But veganism remains the most compassionate lifestyle and the most environmentally friendly."

Brigid McKevith of the British Nutrition Foundation warned that low-fat veganism, while effective, might prove difficult to sustain.

"This diet calls for 10 per cent of calorie intake to come from fat. On average in the UK, we get 33 per cent of our energy from fat. It would be very difficult for most people to stick to such a massive reduction in fat," she said.

Dr Barnard added: "It would be like quitting cigarettes. Meat products are addictive. It would be difficult at first, but hugely beneficial."

Default New scientific review shows vegetarian diets cause major weight loss

New scientific review shows vegetarian diets cause major weight loss

Controlled research trials prove diet's efficacy

WASHINGTON--A scientific review in April's Nutrition Reviews shows that a vegetarian diet is highly effective for weight loss. Vegetarian populations tend to be slimmer than meat-eaters, and they experience lower rates of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and other life-threatening conditions linked to overweight and obesity. The new review, compiling data from 87 previous studies, shows the weight-loss effect does not depend on exercise or calorie-counting, and it occurs at a rate of approximately 1 pound per week. Rates of obesity in the general population are skyrocketing, while in vegetarians, obesity prevalence ranges from 0 percent to 6 percent, note study authors Susan E. Berkow, Ph.D., C.N.S., and Neal D. Barnard, M.D., of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM).
    The authors found that the body weight of both male and female vegetarians is, on average, 3 percent to 20 percent lower than that of meat-eaters. Vegetarian and vegan diets have also been put to the test in clinical studies, as the review notes. The best of these clinical studies isolated the effects of diet by keeping exercise constant. The researchers found that a low-fat vegan diet leads to weight loss of about 1 pound per week, even without additional exercise or limits on portion sizes, calories, or carbohydrates.
    "Our research reveals that people can enjoy unlimited portions of high-fiber foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to achieve or maintain a healthy body weight without feeling hungry," says Dr. Berkow, the lead author.
    "There is evidence that a vegan diet causes an increased calorie burn after meals, meaning plant-based foods are being used more efficiently as fuel for the body, as opposed to being stored as fat," says Dr. Barnard. Insulin sensitivity is increased by a vegan diet, allowing nutrients to more rapidly enter the cells of the body to be converted to heat rather than to fat.
    Earlier this month, a team of researchers led by Tim Key of Oxford University found that meat-eaters who switched to a plant-based diet gained less weight over a period of five years. Papers reviewed by Drs. Berkow and Barnard include several published by Dr. Key and his colleagues, as well as a recent study of more than 55,000 Swedish women showing that meat-eaters are more likely to be overweight than vegetarians and vegans.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-nsr033106.php

Thanks gert! I sent the article to my sister...I had a long discussion with her about veganism this weekend... she's trying to lose weight, and is very interested in nutrion info right now...she was asking a ton of Q's about veganism and seems very interested!!! I'm crossing my fingers that she'll go vegan

Sparrow, I was too eager to send her the article that gert had posted, and didn't read till the end of the thread. I'll let her know about that article too
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

VeganJohn

Remember vegan beer won't help you lose weight regardless of portion sizes :>

I've found that I need almost 10 units less insulin since becoming vegan

Being vegan hasnt made me lose weight, in fact, i have never had to worry about my weight but since becoming vegan i feel i have to watch it a bit more because there is just so much gorgeous new foods to enjoy i cant stop eating!

Quote Melanie View Post
    I've found that I need almost 10 units less insulin since becoming vegan
    Hi Melanie, as you are only 17, if you need insulin, do you have diabetes type 1? The reason I ask is that a reader wrote to Vegan Voice to ask if a vegan diet can cure diabetes 1, and V/Voice asked me. So far I've been unable to find any data on type 1. Thanks
    Eve

A vegan diet might IMPROVE blood sugar control for a person with Type 1 diabetes, but a vegan diet won't "cure" it. Type 2 diabetes can often be controlled with diet and exercise.

Quote Chocs4me View Post
    Being vegan hasnt made me lose weight, in fact, i have never had to worry about my weight but since becoming vegan i feel i have to watch it a bit more because there is just so much gorgeous new foods to enjoy i cant stop eating!
    Ha. I wish I could say that.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

In addition to the press release cited above, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine actually has a real dietary weight loss "plan" on their website. Not only is it extrememly helpful, but the PCRM is extremely good about answering questions within a day or two.

I've lost about 25 pounds since becoming vegan 5 months ago.. the last few weeks ive seen my weight stand still.. I have been doing slightly more drinking since then though.. so that makes sense