Thread: slip-up made me realise i am right to be vegan

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default slip-up made me realise i am right to be vegan

hello everyone.

i have been vegan for 3 weeks and on my 3 week annivarsary of being vegan was my boyfriends birthday and i had a piece of birthday cake. I knew it had egg in it but after alot of staring at it i finally had a piece. It didn't taste very nice because i knew what i was doing was wrong because i knew that eating eggs is wrong...very dissapointed in myself (it was a party at his house and there was no vegan food and i got down about it and that was why i felt like giving up as i hadn't easting for ages ). . .I told my boyfriend and mum i would stop being vegan because they kept having a moan that they were worried about my health and so we came to a 'compromise' where i would only eat dairy if i was out at a resturant. Anyways, that day i went out to a vegan/ vegetarian resturant and realised i was being stupid about the dificuty of being vegan as i had a very nice vegan meal and desert! i have decided that i can never go back to eating dairy as its too cruel and wrong.

so i suppose what i am saying is that by eating the egg i have come to realise how much i know what i did was wrong and that i have come to realise that my views of eating dairy/ eggs has increased.

By the way i had the slice of cake that had egg in it and that was it- apart from that which was on saurday i have gone back to my vegan food

any thougths would be greatly appreciated

stephanie

x

yogini

Default Re: slip-up made me realise i am right to be vegan

i think youre doing really well. keep it up. everyone makes mistakes at some point. becoming vegan is a process.
    and, you know, there are some amazing vegan chocolate cakes out there..with creamy tofu/chocolate icing even!

I agree that everyone makes slip-ups. Like a week after I went vegan, I was watching a toddler over the weekend. I was trying to feed him mac-n-cheese, but he wouldn't eat it. So, finally I was like, "If you don't eat this bite of food, I will!" I did, and he was offended or something. Anyway, he started eating, and I felt sooooo horrible. I only let myself eat salad for three days as a punishment.

Long story short, yes I'm crazy, but it's okay that you made a mistake, just forgive yourself, and be better in the next situation like that.

Sounds like you are ready to post on the other boards now then.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

who me lincoln imp? i felt very bad about it but has made me feel more stronger about my beliefs afterwards if that makes sense. i had vegan apple c\rumble (made it myself) with soya custard and spicy 'sausage' balls with pasta and sauce. since being vegan i have learnt to cook the only problem now is that mum and boyfriend may not take me as seriously about being vegan now that i ate that birthday cake

cheers for the posts guys

ur all really lovely

xx

p.s where can u get this chocolate cake from then screaming carrot

peaches22 so how long have u been vegan for then?

peaches 22, you say "I only let myself eat salad for three days as a punishment." What sort of a punishment is that? Or are your salads really crap?
    Eve

Hi yum,

congratson turning back to veganism! It sounds like eating the cake convinced you that veganism is the way forward. I'm sure that, in light of that, the chicken and cow will have forgiven you for eating something with their products in it, if it served to reinforce to you that it isn't right I know I've done that plenty of times, when I just turned vegan, just to see if I'd "really turned vegan". Well, we're over 10 years down the road now, and what with me still being vegan, I'm sure I am one for life! Don't worry about your mum and your boyfriend, stick with what you believe in and in time they will "come to terms" with having a girlfriend and daughter (I assume you're female?) who has ot strong beliefs and lives up to them Let us know how you're getting on alright!
    please grant me the senility to forget about people I never liked anyway

Being open to compromise and suggestion isn't necessarily a sign of weakness, you know your mum and boyfriend probably don't see it as weakness that you celebrated a birthday with the cake provided (most omni's don't even think about these things), and you'll know in future to remind them to get you something vegan, or buy/make him a vegan cake - Blue Lotus do some absolutely delicious looking cakes, though they're a bit pricey.

yogini

Quote yum

p.s where can u get this chocolate cake from then screaming carrot
    well, im not sure where u are, but i get mine from a local little cafe..by the slice, because i wouldnt trust myself with the whole cake

i know theres loads of recipes on the web too if you feel like baking!

Yeah, to me, salad=lettuce. If there's something else on the salad, I'll say,"Salad with cucumber and tomato, or salad with chickpeas and vinegarette, etc."

Hey-hi yum,

welcome to world of vegans. It's very similar to the world of everyone else, but you feel much better

I haven't been a vegan very long - around 3 months or so - though I was a vegetarian for 11 years before that, which was a great help in never being tempted to eat any animal product after I had made the switch. Alas, on the second day I did tell my Mum I'd finish off the vegebites (nuggets) that were in the freezer even though they had eggs in, mainly believing that I'd be making a gradual progress anyways.

However, I felt terrible the moment I picked one up, even worse when it passed my lips, and thus I never touched them again from the on, or any other animal product. But because of that, I know the feeling you had when eating that cake, and how it strengthened your resolve.

So, the point I'm trying to make is - don't worry about it, and happy eating from now on

Love, life and peace,
    - antman

Quote eve
    peaches 22, you say "I only let myself eat salad for three days as a punishment." What sort of a punishment is that? Or are your salads really crap?
    LOL
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein