Thread: Acupuncture

Default Acupuncture

Hello all,

I am wondering about acupuncture. I am thinking of trying it for the following which I suffer from: psoriatic arthritis, migraine headaches (and also regular headaches), and chronic leg pain.

I would love to hear about experiences any of you have had with acupuncture, positive or negative. I know some people swear by it, while others think it has no effect. I would especially like to hear if any of you have experiences with acupuncture treatment for the issues I am dealing with.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Acupuncture

Dear Monkey

My husband did a residency in acupuncture, in addition to traditional western medicine for anesthesiology, so I referred this question to him.........

Migraines are very difficult to treat, less than 50% of patients get relief.

"Regular" headaches get over 50% relief.

Psoriatic arthritis is also not necessarily greatly relieved.

Leg pain - depends on why you have pain.

Now, as my husband states, traditional cultures that have used acupunture never used it to treat such specific maladies (no one heard of a migraine headache 1000 years ago). Acupunture has been used for about 1000 years for generalized maladies - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the therapist performing the acupunture and your response. Even in China, acupunture doesn't work ALL the time.

I hope that helped. And I hope you get some relief from your pain.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

ConsciousCuisine

I see my acupuncturist regularly and always feel calm, centered and balanced when I leave. I used to have migraines, ulcers, endometriosis and a whole slew of maladies. Thanks to natural health and healing (including acupuncture and vegan nutrition) I no longer suffer with ANY of these chronic problems.

Hello

my experience has been what Dianecrna described. I had it a few times for back pain but it didn't help (it didn't hurt either) but my partner and friends of mine have had it with good results.

I think Dianne is right it seems to depend on the ailment and the skill of the practitioner. The people I know who found it succesful also had it combined with other forms of therapy.

Antony

ConsciousCuisine

Quote abrennan
    it seems to depend on the ailment and the skill of the practitioner. The people I know who found it succesful also had it combined with other forms of therapy.

Antony

You are absolutely right! I have a FABULOUS acupuncturist who was a massage therapist before she got her Master's Degree and became a licensed Acupuncturist.

She spends 1 hour and 15 minutes to 2 hours with me each time and may use cupping, gua sha, infra-red lamps, hot packs, herbal applications and always includes needling, massage, brain-wave music and more! She is amazing and I am lucky to have her. I get an education each time I see her, as she explains everything and answers all my questions.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have been to clinics where I just was told to sit down and had needles shoved into me. Not very therapeutic or holistic.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    cupping, gua sha, infra-red lamps, hot packs, herbal applications and always includes needling, massage,
    The guy that my partner sees that's exactly what he does. Great people to have around. He has helped her so much in the past that I have bought him presents.

Antony

Gliondrach

Hello, Monkey. I don't know much about acupuncture - nor about psoriatic arthritis, either, but I've found a couple of links that might be of interest:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00476

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...aticArthritis/

If it is an auto-immune disease, you must make sure that you have a good healthy diet. You should also try to avoid stressful conditions. Some sort of relaxation technique could be helpful. My own favoured one for healing is healing imagery, where you imagine the healing of the injury, disease or illness.

Glucosamine is beneficial for arthritis.

Good luck.

Regards,

Martin.

__ __ __ __

I have had amazing experiences with acupuncture..of course it depends on who you go to, and what for, and... honestly, how much faith you have in the practice...

But, when I first moved here.. I ended up getting a really bad flu because of my exposure to so many people(I moved from the Redwoods), and bacteria, and everything else in the air... I was ready to go to the ER, I was sooo sick.
    But I decided on acupuncture, because I had wanted to try it for so long..., directly after my first treatment, I felt amazing(endorphomine rush I'm sure..), and about 50% better!
    By the end of the next day, I was completely better!

Now, I get acupuncture every 3-4 months for an immune system boost, and for headaches. And I haven't gotten sick since! (this was almost a year ago)

It's really astounding, I try and eat mostly raw also, so I'm sure that helps, and overall my experiences with acupuncture have been very positive.

cross barer

I have found it only helps for muscular injuries (I've neven had treatments tailored for headaches etc)>

I gfet repetitive strain injury from playing guitar and using computers and writing (being a student, I do lots of the last two).

When I first got my laptop, after about 2 months it killed my left hand because of the combination of bad posture and the keys being in such a crap spot (those things are dnagerous!!!). I couldn't do anything with my left hand after a while, no guitar, no cooking, etc etc and after a few sessions it cleared right up.

However, I have two slipped discs in my spine and the original reason I had accupuncture was to treat this. It didn't really do anything, I'm guessing because it is more than a muscular complaint.

I think ac. is good for lymphatic drainage etc, if your migraines relate to sinus blockages it will help with that.

cross barer

****!!!!

[fume]I just hurt my back hanging up a belt in my wardrobe. I have a 2000 word report due this thursday and now I won't be able to spend more than ten minutes at a time at my desk[/fume]

Quote adam antichrist

However, I have two slipped discs in my spine and the original reason I had accupuncture was to treat this. It didn't really do anything, I'm guessing because it is more than a muscular complaint.
    I also had acupuncture because I had slipped a disc in my spine.
    I went to a chinese doctor and he put the needles in, after that he massaged my back with a stone , it hurt like hell.....
    But it heeled my back, I could walk in a normal manner straight after the treatment. I went there all in all six times, twice a week.
    So that chinese doctor certainly knew what he was doing. I think that the main treatment was done with the stone and the acupuncture eased the pain?

I am staggered that all you young people have so many complaints! How will you be when you're my age? Or perhaps when you've lived a vegan lifestyle for as long as I have, migraines and back pains etc will be a distant memory!
    Eve

Quote eve
    I am staggered that all you young people have so many complaints! How will you be when you're my age? Or perhaps when you've lived a vegan lifestyle for as long as I have, migraines and back pains etc will be a distant memory!
    Yes Mum!!

Thank you, everyone, for your input!

antony, you're a naughty boy!
    Eve

i wonder if accupuncture would help with my acne, as conventional meds are not!!!!!

Gliondrach

It might help. I suppose it depends on the cause of your acne. Is it connected with your periods? What kind of skin cleanser do you use? Avoid soap. There are some cleansers that contain teatree oil, that clean the skin and get rid of excess oil, but don't strip it. Some people use a weak solution of apple cider vinegar or wine vinegar in water to put on the affected areas. Sometimes, more fibre is needed in the diet to help with the elimination of toxins.

Make sure that your diet supplies everyting you need. Lots of nuts and seeds will help, especially in oil form.

I actually saw an accupuncturist over the summer for depression. To be honest, I was VERY skeptical at first but after 2 sessions, I could tell a HUGE difference. I went once a week for 6 weeks and she gave me herbs to take. It was amazing the difference that it made.

That being said, I have heard that it really helps some people and doesn't do much for others. But it definitely won't hurt...so why not give it a try?