Thread: Victory, veganaise!

Talking Victory, veganaise!

Okay, spelling?

A-hem. I've had perhaps my BIGGEST victory with veganism since this journey began.

I finally got over my fear of trying new things, and opened the sealed jar of veganaise thats been sitting in my fridge all month.

And I'm glad I did. It tastes JUST like my favourite sandwhich spread! EXACTLY! It could be a twin, but no eggs or dairy or anything, which is super! So I don't have to feel bad about sandwhiches cause I have a spread for it thats super duper (and can take the place not only of mayonaise, but the melted cheese I used to be so fond of on my subs)

This is heavenly. :3 I'm so happy! ^_^
    ~"Stay calm and quiet now, my pretty little one, don't struggle like that, or I will only love you more," Lullabye, The Cure

Seaside

Default Re: Victory, veganaise!

Ah! Another Vegenaise convert!

what the ingredients is it just a Vegan Mayonaise

I don't mean JUST in the pejorative

glad to hear that you've found something you like that will urge you on.

keep up the good work

Antony

Quote urbandryad
    Okay, spelling?

A-hem. I've had perhaps my BIGGEST victory with veganism since this journey began.

I finally got over my fear of trying new things, and opened the sealed jar of veganaise thats been sitting in my fridge all month.

And I'm glad I did. It tastes JUST like my favourite sandwhich spread! EXACTLY! It could be a twin, but no eggs or dairy or anything, which is super! So I don't have to feel bad about sandwhiches cause I have a spread for it thats super duper (and can take the place not only of mayonaise, but the melted cheese I used to be so fond of on my subs)

This is heavenly. :3 I'm so happy! ^_^
    be careful though,this stuff is way better tasting than mayo, soon you'll be spooning this on everything and it's brother!! good shit, no? ENJOY!!

I've never had veganaise. I'm still finishing a big jar of Spectrum vegan eggless mayonaise type spread (made with canola oil--bad for you I know ). I don't have a lot of uses for it, because I rarely make sandwiches, but I use it in wraps and as a dip for oven fries. Yum! I think I'll try the veganaise when I'm done with my Spectrum. Spectrum is available everywhere, but I've only found Veganaise in one store which is a bit of a drive from my place, but it definitely sounds worth a try!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

i love veganaise. i just recentally found vegan sour cream and cream cheese. it is made by toufuitti. quite good.

i was so afraid to try it after a very bad vegan cheese experience. i am glad it melts- but why does it taste like toxic waste?

The only vegan "cheese" I've tried that DOESN'T taste like toxic waste is Follow Your Heart Gourment Vegan Cheese - producers of Veganaise. Otherwise, I make my own from The Ultimate Uncheese Book.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote Yoggy
    ...(made with canola oil--bad for you I know )...
    Yoggy - canola oil isn't bad for you! If I'm googling correctly Spectrum is organic, which means the canola won't be GM, and other than the possibility of it being GM canola is actually very good for vegans because it has a high proportion of Omega 3 to Omega 6 essential fatty acids.

ETA: and even the non organic stuff says this: "
    Third party verified, canola oil and soy protein isolate in this product were not genetically engineered"

Gliondrach

I'm glad you've found something new that you like, Urban. Now, what else can you discover? There's a whole treasure trove of things out there.

Quote twinkle
    canola oil isn't bad for you!
    I've read that canola oil comes from rapeseed, which is the most toxic of all food-oil plants, and that not even insects will eat it. Of course, it could be all hype, and besides, some plants that are toxic for insects aren't necessarily toxic for humans (I think). I've just heard lots of bad things about canola oil, so I usually avoid it to be on the safe side, except in my vegan mayonaise spread. I still think I want to try veganaise, because the Spectrum is okay, but it isn't fantastic like veganise seems to be (based on all these testimonials).
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

I wasn't a mayo girl anyway before my veganism. But vegenaise is good.

Quote Tigerlily
    I wasn't a mayo girl anyway before my veganism. But vegenaise is good.
    Yea, mayo is ick. But i always loved pasta salad which has mayo in it, so thats the only thing i use it for.
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Yoggy
    I've read that canola oil comes from rapeseed, which is the most toxic of all food-oil plants, and that not even insects will eat it. Of course, it could be all hype, and besides, some plants that are toxic for insects aren't necessarily toxic for humans (I think). I've just heard lots of bad things about canola oil, so I usually avoid it to be on the safe side, except in my vegan mayonaise spread. I still think I want to try veganaise, because the Spectrum is okay, but it isn't fantastic like veganise seems to be (based on all these testimonials).
    I've posted this link elsewhere on the forum - you have to scroll past the original urban legend to see the debunking and its origins.

Quote Plunder Bunnie
    Yea, mayo is ick. But i always loved pasta salad which has mayo in it, so thats the only thing i use it for.
    I don't like pasta salad. But I like mayo on tomato sandwiches or in yummy veggie dips. :P

Talking Re: Victory, veganaise!

Quote Plunder Bunnie
    yeah, i NEVER did mayo...ewww i was grossed out by the stuff before i even knew what it was!

i dont feel the need to eat vegaise (sp?)...ive never tried it and i keep getting urged to by some friends...but i put hummus or tahini or hommade tofu spread on my sandwiches...why should i even try it if i dont miss mayo?!?!?

and im with you mophoto and the tofutti cream chese and sour cream! hellllz yeah!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Yeah, I have a major fear of mayo so I have never tried veganaise. The only thing I ever ate with mayo was potato salad (and only my mom's because she went light on the mayo and did so many spices you couldn't taste it - not like store bought where it is basically in a broth of the stuff) or some sort of dip I didn't know it was in. I won't even touch the stuff, I seriously have a fear of it.

I like my greek olive oil garlic potato salad. i do love spinach dip, or a hot spinach artichoke dip, so maybe I would buy it for that...I read an interview with Alicia Silverstone where she gave a recipe for vegan spinach artichoke dip using veganaise. It sounded really good.

ive always adored mayo. with everything. i buy the spectrum vegan mayo, i dont really know if i believe canola oil is bad for u or not, although its not as healthy as the other oils i know. but i would LOVE to try veganaise.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

FR

I hate the spectrum mayo with a passion. I love vegenaise, though! I have a nice hefty container of organic vegenaise sitting in my refrigerator right now!

Where can you buy this Veganaise in the U.K?

I've only been able to get my hands on the plamil one, and that tastes disgusting.

I always hated egg mayo, but love the Plamil stuff.... Different strokes for different folks...

I have seen Veganaisse, but it's not as common as the Plamil...

Quote Rozzwellian
    I don't know where you can buy it in the U.K. but here in the U.S. it's always found in the refridgerated section. I don't think it can be stored at room temperature.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote Rozzwellian

I've only been able to get my hands on the plamil one, and that tastes disgusting.
    One of my friends described the Plamil one as "solidified vinegar" - You can make it a lot more tasty by getting a couple of spoonfuls of that and mixing it with extra virgin olive oil and a dash of cider vinegar. It gets the same mayonnaisy consistency after you've mixed it in for 30 seconds or so, and tastes a lot milder and yummier.

I then like to squeeze some garlic in and dip potato wedges in

Default Vegenaise

Hi,

I am new here and this is my first post. The post is about, as you can tell, the vegan mayonaise called Vegenaise. I have heard so many good things about this stuff that when I noticed that my local Natural foods store starting stocking it I happily bought it. However, I thought that it tasted awful. The jar I had tasted nothing like mayo. Is it possible that I got a bad jar? Has anyone else been dissapointed by this stuff?

Cheers,

A.Sphere
    Last edited by flutterby; May 3rd, 2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread