Thread: Feel incredibly guilty for screwing up....

Default Feel incredibly guilty for screwing up....

Hi,
    I don't really know what i want out of this post but i guess i am just venting my guilt about my "slip up" the other day. I have been eating vegan for a few months , as i want to reduce my ecological footprint on the earth and being vegan is a great way to do that. Well , folks, i am a failure. I have been eating exclusively for the summer, a fruit and veggie diet only with some soymilk thrown in there in my tea. Well, about a week ago i had a complete LAPSE of composure and indulged in some dairy. I am back to eating vegan and am not going to throw it all away but i just want to know if any of you had these troubles of getting it "right". I hate this feeling of failing as a vegan. I try so damn hard. Thanks for listening to my rambling.

RubyDuby

Default Re: Feel incredibly guilty for screwing up....

you've been eating nothing but fruits and veggies??? thats not very good for you. what about grains and legumes? anybody would cheat with your diet. your body must be screaming at you with cravings! but you shouldnt feel bad about the slip up. it can be hard sometimes!! clients at my job bring us cookies and sweets often and its HARD. but I bring my own.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Don't torture yourself please, put your energy into keeping up the good work that it sounds like you have been doing.

You have not had a failure, only a glitch. Don't punish yourself it will not be useful. You have punished yourself enough by outing yourself here.

You are doing a great thing by embarking on being Vegan. It's not so easy for everyone as it is for some.

Go Atticus!!!

Cheerleader Antony
    Australia

my sister had a party the other night and she made me frost the cupcakes, i really wanted to lick the damn frosting off my fingers. i didn't but that was the first time i actually felt a craving. she also made brownies that looked quite beautiful. thank the lord her friend came over with some homemade vegan cookies. (it was a pampered chief party, where they sell overpriced cooking utensils, we don't usually cook such things for parties)

Seaside

Quote Atticus
    Hi,
    I don't really know what i want out of this post but i guess i am just venting my guilt about my "slip up" the other day. I have been eating vegan for a few months , as i want to reduce my ecological footprint on the earth and being vegan is a great way to do that. Well , folks, i am a failure. I have been eating exclusively for the summer, a fruit and veggie diet only with some soymilk thrown in there in my tea. Well, about a week ago i had a complete LAPSE of composure and indulged in some dairy. I am back to eating vegan and am not going to throw it all away but i just want to know if any of you had these troubles of getting it "right". I hate this feeling of failing as a vegan. I try so damn hard. Thanks for listening to my rambling.
    What sort of dairy? Was it cheese? I often think that craving for cheese is really a craving for salt, as most cheese is incredibly salty. Salt is not the dietary villain it has been made out to be, and you may have been craving it if you have been eating lots of fresh, unprocessed foods.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I don't know of anyone who was able to make the transition all at once without a few backslidings.

There's been some research into the addictive nature of cheese, it was the last thing I gave up to be vegan. I could breath better after that.

i doubt this is true but i read something in a health mag. that cheese can be addicting because of something called caiso endorphins (not spelled right, that's why i couldn't find info on it) the article said peole actually felt a high after eating cheese. read it in self magazine. i can spell propaganda.

Quote mophoto
    i doubt this is true but i read something in a health mag. that cheese can be addicting because of something called caiso endorphins (not spelled right, that's why i couldn't find info on it) the article said peole actually felt a high after eating cheese. read it in self magazine. i can spell propaganda.
    and man you should try smoking it Don't get any ideas Atticus it's really hard to light up

we live in a world where we are bombarded with foods that are targeted at us through advertising telling us they make us feel good. It's hard to resist at times. The fact that you feel so gulity is proof of how far you have come and will make you so much stronger. It takes time to adjust. None of us are perfect, we just do the best we can and believe in ourselves. Have a plan. Eg if you love sweet things always have some vegan goodies at hand. I make protein balls with nuts and seeds mixed with peanut butter, malt syrup and some golden syrup and coconut. If you find cheese is a major craving buy some tofutti vegan cheese or make up some dips and snack on them. Remember a craving lasts no more than 10 minutes so have a snack and do something else but include more variety in your diet to make sure you are not deficient in something (usually the reason we crave) possibly calcium, magnesium or selenium. A soy smoothie is a good choice to have if you crave a creamy hit.

Atticus, you'll be hard pressed to find a vegan who hasn't slipped up in the beginning, and some still do sometimes, even after a few years. Don't beat yourself up over it! You've got good intentions and you're doing the best you can. Diet wise, there is quite a bit to learn I think. Most people get the "what you don't eat" down quite quickly, but are at a loss when it comes to "what you DO eat". Talk to other vegans, get a few vegan cookbooks and for nutritional info and advice "Becoming Vegan", by Davis & Melinda is invaluable. Besides paying attention to the "what you don't eat", please pay at least equal attention to the nutrients your body needs. Too many people have gone off veganism because they fell ill, because they couldn't get their diet right (is easy, promise you! ) Let us know how you get on!
    please grant me the senility to forget about people I never liked anyway

mophoto, it is the casein that is addictive in dairy foods, especially cheese where it is so concentrated.

But Atticus, guilt is a waste of energy and emotion. What's done is in the past, now look to today and tomorrow. Good on you for becoming vegan.
    Eve

Gliondrach

Failure is just one more step on the road to success. When we fail, we are not failures. We are not our actions. We are beings who are becoming.

Nitram Nagev.

Smile Re: Feel incredibly guilty for screwing up....

Quote Atticus
    Hi,

I've been going through the same thing myself...on and off actually for about a month. Only with butter, cream and cheese, and very little amounts. I went vegan in May, but by the beginning of August I started to slip up. Then for 2.5 weeks I was dairy free.....then another slip, then another.

Ugh.

I need more variety in my diet as well as more cooking skills. I have been overtaken by cravings/temptation and feel horrible about it

I think I need to plan my days/snacks/meals etc. It was so easy for me at the beginning and so much fun, I loved it. I felt great about my choices.

I am feeling extremely guilty and can't wait until I can say I am 100% vegan again. I also need to get it "right".

Starting now, this minute, again, I plan on eating vegan from now on.

/hugs and good luck.

I'm so glad this forum is here so I have people to relate to.
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

The day after I decided to go vegan, I ate non vegan chocolate chips cookies at friend's house. I was starving (had only eaten breakfast and it was nearing 4pm....) and her mother was baking them homemade. It was too hard to resist. But now, I might resist in that situation but as a new vegan, I still wasn't "solid" in my beliefs.

Only today I went to some friend's house for their child's 3rd birthday 'do'. Anyway, the only food there that I could eat was cashew nuts. She made some lovely looking home made pasties but of course they were no good for me. I wasn't really tempted to be honest but I did realise (again) how much easier life would be if I didn't have this 'awkward' diet. It's fine when you're at home, or even at a restaurant, as you can order what food you like, but when I'm a guest at somebody elses home I feel really awkward rejecting their food, when they have just gone to the effort to cook for everyone. There were about 10 other people there, none were veggies or vegans. I just kept quiet and ate the nuts - I just had more food when I got home - I was only there for a few hours so it was fine really.

Quote tipsytop
    Only today I went to some friend's house for their child's 3rd birthday 'do'. Anyway, the only food there that I could eat was cashew nuts. She made some lovely looking home made pasties but of course they were no good for me. I wasn't really tempted to be honest but I did realise (again) how much easier life would be if I didn't have this 'awkward' diet. It's fine when you're at home, or even at a restaurant, as you can order what food you like, but when I'm a guest at somebody elses home I feel really awkward rejecting their food, when they have just gone to the effort to cook for everyone. There were about 10 other people there, none were veggies or vegans. I just kept quiet and ate the nuts - I just had more food when I got home - I was only there for a few hours so it was fine really.
    I defintly know what you mean. The only hard part with being vegan for me is covience. Its hard to be around others and have nothing to eat, especially when they're eating yummy things like birthday cake or cookies. I went to my boyfriends brothers wedding, and all i could eat was salad, their wasent even vegan salad dressing, so i had some lettuce and onions. Thats all i got to eat that day, it was pretty hard, and i was starving. I was 3 hours from home and wasent going home til the next evening, which was depressing. But i suffered through it and got my hands on a bag of chips the next day! Not that good for me, but they held me over til i got home and could get some real food. Its hard, but its alot harder for those animals going through that, thats what i remind myself when im starving for something to eat.
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

Gliondrach

That's a good point, Plunder Bunnie. The pangs of hunger we sometimes feel are as nothing compared to the suffering of all those poor animals. Well done in holding out!

Absolutely. In fact I would go so far as to say that in my situation, not eating for half a day was probably a good thing for my waist line anyway!!

When I got home last night I did feel proud of myself for not being tempted.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words! I have decided to not let that incident mess up my quest for veganism. It WAS feta cheese in fact and also Ice cream.....im totally a devoted soymilk person for a while now. I REALLY appreciate the support and vote of confidence from everyone. I guess its a matter of falling off the horse and then NOT being afraid of getting back on!

i've had no cravings for cheese or milk, weird as i expected too. however the other day i was in a busy restaurant with my bf, ordered a nut burger, which i was assured was vegan, only for it to arrive with mayo on, i only discovered this once the waiter had gone and it was busy so i just scrapped of what i could and ate it.

i felt awful but my bf assured me that we can't all be perfect, mistakes happen. just treat it as a lesson and next time u won't do it. i feel sufficiently guilty to be EXTRA vigiliant now when i eat out, hidden ingreidents are everywhere!

does anyone else find eating out an impossibility? i'm limited to chinese and indian!? thank god for wagamama's!!! italian and spanish and mexican/american, if big no go for me!