Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: I ate 10+ veggies & fruits today

mango woman

Default Re: ' - I ate 10+ veggies & fruits today'

I didn't do too well today. I'll make up for it tomorrow though hopefully. I only ate a banana and a small chunk of pear that i managed to salvage from the mooshed pear i found in my napsack. That was all i ate today. It's now about ten pm and i'm going to sleep. I guess i was just too busy today for food or something? I try not to do this but i will be sure to make up for it tomorrow with lots of veggies. I've also been trying to focus on eating more vegetables than fruit, because like CC has said, they are more nutrient-packed and well i personally looove the sugary fruit but i want to get more fiber and other things etc etc etc ..

today:

banana
    5 dates
    5 dried figs
    box of raisins
    broccoli
    yellow squash
    green string beans
    watermelon
    green peas
    baby carrots
    raw spinach
    tomato slices

Banana (2)
    Cherry tomato (2)
    Stir fry: green beans, zuccini, yellow pepper, red pepper, green pepper, broccoli (5)
    Apple (1)

TOTAL: 10

apple, avocado, dried fruit (in trail mix), banana, another apple, more avocado, squash, and cauliflower...13 abouts...and i'll be having strawberries later...so 14
    Peace Love Surf.

ConsciousCuisine

24 oz. fresh juice of celery, carrots, beets and beet greens

3 cups curried broccoli, potatoes, onions, garlic, tomatoes, peas, corn, spinach, red cabbage, green cabbage and leeks

12 oz. of calcium-fortified orange juice

1/3 cup raisins (in bread )

20 oz. smoothie of orange juice, mangoes, strawberries and peaches

2 cups total: romaine lettuce, Pico de Gallo salsa, hot salsa and guacamole

12 oz. calcium-fortified orange juice

Wink Re: ' - I ate 10+ veggies & fruits today'

Oh my goodness, thats a LOT of veg. Im new to all this and I'm eating more fruit and veg than I thought was physically possible. Its wierd as my body is used to being crammed full of processed carbs and biscuity milk chocolate ebars but now all its getting is veg. Its a bit confused but it seems to like it

Mew- I was shocked at my body as well. I'm so ashamed that all these years, I thought being vegan or a vegetarian meant doing without so many things. The truth is- your body walks through that opened door to NICER things to eat & it loves it. I dont miss a thing.

Hello CafeJane,

Its so exciting!!! I can't imagine getting through 4 dairy milks at my desk any more but before I changed my lifestyle I thought I couldn't do without it.
    Me and my collegue would raid the canteen for supplies every morning like our lives depended on it.

It was a colleagues Birthday last week and its tradition to buy loads of boxes of chocolate for all the tem, and biscuits and things and I couldn't eat everyone and nobody could understand how I could resist the dairy banquet! Its definitely a good thing.

This forum is so good as you feel supported in your choices and it really does help, epecially if you're new like me. People are horrified by vegans, to the point of total prejudice. My ex-boyfriend of 4 years ago was vegan and I have to admit thinking at the time that it was a bit extreme as I didn't understand it. I had absolutely no idea about the dairy industry. I thought cows produced milk naturally (that sounds a bit dim but you know what I mean) and thought no more of it until my friend let me know the facts. I'm sure the majority of people don't realise the reality of it. I am finding being a vegan difficult but its a learning process and one thats rewarding more than it is a chore.

mango woman

apples 2
    bananas 2
    medjool date 1
    avocado .5
    cukes 2
    spinach 1.5
    tomato 1
    green pepper .5

10.5 phew just made it.

banana, dates, mango, tomato, avocado, strawberries, carrots, onion, and broccoli...FIFTEEN! YAY
    Peace Love Surf.

mew, I would be on Cloud TEN if I dated another vegan. I am with a meat eater that will only compromise in a blue moon. He says very proudly that he's a "meat & potatoes" man.

Oh *daydreams* If I had a vegan guy in my life! How sweet!!

I wonder what that was like for you! Certainly, he was some kind of an influence.

mew, I would be on Cloud TEN if I dated another vegan. I am with a meat eater that will only compromise in a blue moon. He says very proudly that he's a "meat & potatoes" man.

Oh *daydreams* If I had a vegan guy in my life! How sweet!!

I wonder what that was like for you! Certainly, he was some kind of an influence.

He was pretty cool, he didn't really talk about it, it was just who he was and he never once voiced an opinion about what I ate and he cooked really great food. We'd have BBQ's and I'd scoff burgers and he'd eat his own things. It was odd as someone asked me recently why he was a vegan and I didn't know as he never went on about it. It was just how he lived. The nearest we got to discussing it was me saying 'I think its a bit extreme' and he'd say, 'I don't think it is' and that would be it. I was in a different place then. I think Im going to email him and say that I understand now as I didn't before. Now I'm on the other side of things its made me think.

today so far i've had raisins, a mango, red chard, mushrooms, an orange and some dried cherries, and i haven't yet had dinner or anything, but so far today it's been...8...after dinner i know i'll have made it...
    Peace Love Surf.

Asian veggie mix (water chesnuts, snowpeas, bamboo shoots, broccoli, etc.)- 2
    miso soup (daikon radish, bok choy, shiitake mushrooms) - 4
    collard greens - 3
    cherries/blueberries/acai berries/mango - 3
    pumpkin/acorn squash - 2

14 servings -- not so bad. Especially since I'm treating myself to "nachos" tonight for dinner. With the pumpkin/squash soup. Eating the soup first which will hopefully leave little room for nachos. Tomorrow will be more as I will be also making another vat of veggie soup. This time with a little Asian flavor as that seems to be the kind of week it is.

mango woman

Avocado 4 yikes i can feel the pants getting tight!
    coconut-date roll 2
    cantalope 4
    banana 2
    apple 1
    clementine 1
    veggie soup with like 9000 different beans hehe 1

I'm not gonna lie, I ate an ENTIRE avocado throughout the day today..

IT WAS DELICIOUS TOO!

Total for today: 15.. about. I think i may go have some more soup before bed. I loooove how soup really helps on a freezing cold wisconsin night such as tonight.

lemme think...banana, grapes(soo many cuz i got some HUGE kind that's seedless and super-sweet at wholefoods...honestly i think they're addictive...), sprouts, a mango, a large apple, spinach, red chard, beet greens, onion, and mushroom...that comes to about...13 i think, and i'm prolly gonna have some peach later...
    Peace Love Surf.

hmmm, lets see how many i got:

1 serving in the veggie patties i made
    1 serving of potato
    1 serving banana
    3 or more servings of oj w/ calcium (i had like 3 cups so that would be almost four servings right?)
    1 serving of cooked onions
    1 serving apple

only 8
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

cafejane just told me about this thread...

Today:
    6 strawberries (sorry, not sure how much that counts for)
    1 kiwi
    10 raisins (do they count?)
    2 cups of cucumbers
    1 cup of green peppers
    4-5 (small home grown) tomatoes
    2 cups of romaine lettuce
    1/4 cup of baby carrots

yum.

Had a good day today - and it's World Vegan Day, so I feel pretty good.

Handful sultanas on cereal - 1
    2 small oranges - 2
    1 banana - 3
    Handful of grapes - 4
    4 small tomatoes - 5
    1/2 onion - 5.5
    1/4 sweet pepper - 6
    1/2 courgette - 6.5
    1/2 leek - 7
    2 medium mushrooms - 8
    1/4 honeydew melon - 9
    1 kiwi fruit - 10
    1 apple - 11
    1 potato (baked as wedges) - 12
    1 sweet potato - 13
    2 pointy oniony things - 14
    1 parsnip - 15

Hmm - might be time to stop eating now

foxy, 3 cups of juice is worth 6! lol
    Peace Love Surf.

ConsciousCuisine

Wink Re: ' - I ate 10+ veggies & fruits today'

Quote Tangerine
    cafejane just told me about this thread...

Today:
    6 strawberries (sorry, not sure how much that counts for)
    Tangerine, I am so glad you are doing so well!

I cut and pasted the guidelines from the beginning of the thread so you can see what we are considering a serving for this thread:

In order to promote healthy vegans and healthy veganism, I'd like to start this thread where we post healthy eating days where we get in at LEAST 10 servings of veggies and fruits.

In general, a "serving" of Vegetable is:

• 1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup chopped raw vegetables or
    • 3/4 cup vegetable juice or
    • 1 cup of raw leafy vegetables

In general, a "serving" of Fruit is:

• 1 medium-sized apple, banana, or orange or
    • 3/4 cup of fruit juice or
    • 1/2 cup of chopped, frozen, cooked, dried or canned fruit

I saw the very begining of this thread...just not sure where all the other fruits fit in ...all the ones you havnet mentioned. Or does one strawberry count as 1 serving... and grapes?... how about them...

and do raisins count... i guess they do since they are practically a dehydrated grape.

thanks CC...

I know i need to add some more fruit...Im gonna try to be more aware and count my intake of veggies and fruit

Edit: oh, I just reread it again... I do this sometimes... so if I have 1/2 cup of strawberries that counts as one... bear with me it takes me a minute or 2 sometimes to figure out simple things...

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tangerine
    I saw the very begining of this thread...just not sure where all the other fruits fit in ...all the ones you haven't mentioned. Or does one strawberry count as 1 serving... and grapes?... how about them...

and do raisins count... i guess they do since they are practically a dehydrated grape.

thanks CC...

I know i need to add some more fruit...Im gonna try to be more aware and count my intake of veggies and fruit
    If it is a RAW fruit and you have chopped it, it would take 1/2 a cup of chopped strawberries to make a serving. If you are eating them whole and raw, it will take 1 cup to make a serving. You get to the point where you can "eyeball" a serving, but in the beginning it is good to actually take however many strawberries you'd like to eat and chop them up and measure them. That gives you a good idea of how many actual berries you may consume while being sure it is a serving.

Another example is with grapes. Are the grapes you are eating raw? Then you would measure a cup of them out and know that was a serving. Are you eating raisins? That would be a dried fruit, so you would measure out a scant 1/2 cup and know that was one serving.

I really suggest getting measuring spoons and cups to familiarize yourself with amounts/servings and compare them to what you consider a serving. It is usually an eye-opening experience for those who have not measured before.

The same gagues I have laid out (measurements) below apply to *every* fruit or vegetable. The rules apply to all other fruits and vegetables in their various forms. 1 cup raw, 1/2 cup dehydrated or chopped and 3/4 cup juice.

Keep up the good work

apples 4 (I might be addicted to them...)
    banana 1
    orange 1
    tomatoes 2
    carrots 2
    watercress 1
    broccoli 1
    cauliflower 1
    green pepper 1

total 14 - jay!!!

so are we not allowed to post in here if we get less than ten cc?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

mango woman

wow my pants are tight today

yam 2
    banana 4
    apple 2
    spinach 2
    carrots 1
    cabbage 1
    cucumber 2
    tomato 2
    radish .5
    mixed sprouts 1
    medjool date 4
    Pumpkin 1
    Peas 1
    green pepper 2
    black olives 1
    pineapple 1
    mushrooms 1

Yikes. Let's see... the total is 28.5 i believe?

Definitely not going to weigh myself tomorrow.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote theashleybeyer
    wow my pants are tight today

yam 2
    banana 4
    apple 2
    spinach 2
    carrots 1
    cabbage 1
    cucumber 2
    tomato 2
    radish .5
    mixed sprouts 1
    medjool date 4
    Pumpkin 1
    Peas 1
    green pepper 2
    black olives 1
    pineapple 1
    mushrooms 1

Yikes. Let's see... the total is 28.5 i believe?

Definitely not going to weigh myself tomorrow.
    Hey Sweets, are you using the serving sizes that are outlined in this thread? Just curious because if you are, I have never seen anyone eat that many dates before in one day! I'd go into insulin shock

At any rate, don't be upset about "weight"...you had a nice variety of healthy foods today!

banana, figs, mango with rasberry sauce, squash, veggies (in a spring roll), more mango with rasberry sauce, sauteed greens mixed with salad greens and tomato, a white squash...about 15! and i think i'm gonna have some dried fruit later tonight...
    Peace Love Surf.

mango woman

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I have never seen anyone eat that many dates before in one day!

You shoulda seen me!

I may be stupid and just not realizing I'm doing it wrong, but I am using the measurements you gave us at the beginning of the thread. I did mean to change that to about 3 though.. I was curious- that seemed like a lot of dates to me too. I took the dates before eating them and took the pits out and about 6 fit into my 1/2 measuring cup so i thought okay, 6 dates thats a lot of dates.. i probably can only eat that many in a day, not a sitting. Well i ate all of them for breakfast. Then when i got home for work i had a date and banana sandwhich with 4 dates and then munched on two while making it. That brings me to 12 i believe.. two servings..? Thennnn throughout the night i ate like SEVEN coconut date rolls!!!! They were so good.....

Okay, i just thought of something. Are dates even dehydrated?? I measured them out like they were.. but I looked at them just now and realized I think I'm confused. They look a tiny bit dry to me but theyre the whole dates- not chopped cubes or anything.. and not that dry if they're supposed to be... I'm just going to stop now because I've used way too many faces.

Hey Sweets, are you using the serving sizes that are outlined in this thread? Just curious because if you are, I have never seen anyone eat that many dates before in one day! I'd go into insulin shock
    Oh CC, you must not be a date addict! I can eat that much too!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I don't know if I should admit it, but I don't recall the last time I've had a date.

Raisins: 1
    Carrot/corn/potato (in black bean soup): 1
    Red cabbage/carrot/raisin salad: 2
    Mango: 2
    Broccoli: 2
    Carrot, collards, okra, onion, garlic, kale: 6

A little low today, but I was really craving oatmeal for breakfast. Back to the veggie-packed miso soup & broccoli for breakfast tomorrow.

dates 1 (I can't have more than a few, they're too sweet)
    apples 3
    orange1
    carrots 2
    tomatoes 2
    lettuce 1
    broccoli 2
    mushrooms 1
    total 13

Yellow pepper (1)
    Red pepper (2)
    Apple juice (1)
    Tomato (1)
    Mushrooms (0.5)

5.5 YIKES!!! I should have a banana tonight and an apple.

so far today...pumpkin, banana, dates and apricots (dried), salad greens, 1/4 of a pineapple, a large apple...12 so far and i haven't even had dinner!
    Peace Love Surf.

mango woman

Thumbs down Re: ' - I ate 10+ veggies & fruits today'

Oy... i seem to have the hunger of a thousand men lately. Hopefully this stops or I'm going to wake up weighing 400 lbs.

Banana 4
    Date 1
    Avocado 2
    Green pepper 1
    Corn .25
    Tomato .25
    Black Cherries .5
    Apple 1

Total: a whopping 10.

That sucks! I ate lots of whole grains today. I think that's why i consumed so many cals. I shoulda stuck with the fruits and veggies!! BLAST. Tomorrow's a new day, I'll do better.

My pants are still tight.

Default Re: The "I ate 10+ veggies & fruits today" thread

Spinach (2)
    Yellow pepper (1)
    Tomato (1)
    Grapes (2)
    Mushrooms (3)
    Dates (1--limited myself )

TOTAL: 10 and I might have an apple later tonight to bring it up to 11!

Edit:

I had more food

Banana (1)
    Grapes, more (1)
    Tomato sauce (0.5)

Now I have a total of: 12.5

so far today...
    beet greens, grapes, pumpkin, apple, orange, figs...10, and haven't had dinner yet!
    Peace Love Surf.

mango woman

Cantalope 2
    Apple 1
    Yams 1
    kiwi 1
    spinach 2.25
    sprouts 1
    carrot 1
    red cabbage 1
    tomato 1
    green pepper 1
    radish .25
    banana 2
    pumpkin 2
    peas .25
    onion .25

Total: 17 Not bad.. not bad at all.

Finally, a day worthy of this thread! Too much fruit though...

potato (1/2)
    2 cups fruit smoothie (4)
    fruit/veggie drink box (1)
    7 medjool dates (1)
    3 cups salad (3)
    a small banana (1)
    orange juice (1)

11.5 yay!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

banana 1
    orange 1
    apples 2
    figs 1
    carrots 2
    tomatoes 2
    lettuce 1
    cabbage 2
    pepper 1
    total 13

Quote theashleybeyer
    Peas 1
    1 pea? that's pretty hardcore
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

mango woman

Quote Mr Flibble
    1 pea? that's pretty hardcore

OH i know! I was so stuffed after that ONE [serving of!] pea. Phew. I'll have to cut down next time

Quote moochbabe
    so far today...
    beet greens, grapes, pumpkin, apple, orange, figs...10, and haven't had dinner yet!
    i ended up having steamed red chard, "broccoli slaw", sweet potato, and strawberries...that makes is a total of at least 16 for yesterday!
    Peace Love Surf.

broccoli - 3
    butternut squash - 3
    spinach/mushroom/heart of palm/dried cranberries - 3
    apple - 1
    frozen mango, blueberries, cranberries & acai - 2
    mushrooms/roasted red peppers/artichoke hearts - 2

14 servings.

Thank goodness for this thread. It's made me hyper-aware of what I'm eating. I start my total in the morning and make adjustments if it looks like I'm going to go astray.

mango woman

Quote jillian
    broccoli - 3
    butternut squash - 3
    spinach/mushroom/heart of palm/dried cranberries - 3
    apple - 1
    frozen mango, blueberries, cranberries & acai - 2
    mushrooms/roasted red peppers/artichoke hearts - 2

14 servings.

Thank goodness for this thread. It's made me hyper-aware of what I'm eating. I start my total in the morning and make adjustments if it looks like I'm going to go astray.
    Same here. Just curious, What's an acai? Also, did you freeze the mango yourself/how did you do it? It sounds delicious.

Information on acai.
    I have never seen the stuff in berry form. I suppose I will have to travel to Brazil for that. But I like the pure smoothie pack. They're kind of expensive (maybe $1 per serving), but I tend to halve the individual packages since I blend in other stuff. Acai has a taste reminiscent of chocolate that's 70-80%.

I wish I had it in me to prep and freeze my own mango. I buy it from Whole Foods. I get a bag for $2 - $2.50 (since it's their own brand). The bag contains approximately three cups. To be honest, even when they're in season, I'd have to pay more than that to get enough fresh mango to make 3 cups. I'm sure this would also work well with frozen or fresh pineapple, which might be easier to find.

Blueberries (2)
    Potatoes (2)
    Salad: lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, carrots, yellow pepper (3)
    Carrots (1)
    Pear (1)

9 total; almost there!

so far today...
    strawberries, blueberries, a little applesauce (.5), rasberries, apple, sauteed red chard, beet greens, mushrooms, and onions mixed with salad greens...about 9.5 so far and no dinner or evening snack yet so...prolly at least 14 for the day!
    Peace Love Surf.

apple
    orange
    mandarine
    banana
    kiwi fruit

thai curry with:
    leek
    sweet potato
    spinach
    onion garlic