Thread: Vegan Ball for Dr Hardwen Trust - are you going?

Arrow Vegan Ball for Dr Hardwen Trust - are you going?

Hi guys

I am delighted to let you know that I am helping to organize the ball for the wonderful charity - the Dr Hadwen Trust

The event will be held on 15 October 2005 at the Hilton Hotel in Paddington - and of course all the food and drink will be vegan.

We have had a wonderful response from the celebrity supporters of the trust and we are delighted that;

Virginia McKenna,
    Sean Hughes,
    Carol Royle,
    Margi Clarke,
    Caroline Edmunds,
    Rebecca Callard,
    Wendy Turner Webster and Gary Webster

have all confirmed their attendance along with many of the doctors and scientists involved with the trust.

Many of the tickets have already been sold and a great deal have been reserved. This event will sell out very quickly.

The ball is self funding and is set to be a wonderful celebration for the trust, raise awareness for the work they do and raise funds too.

If you are interested in attending the event or have any questions please contact the trust on 01462 436819

Pls do let me know if you are going - and I look forward to seeing you there!

With many thanks and best vegan wishes

Karin Ridgers

*PR and events for people who make a difference* www.mad-promotions.com

* Veggie Internet TV station - cookery, celebs, info* www.veggievision.com

Default From www.veganvillage.co.uk

GALA DINNER - SPECIAL OFFER!

The Dr Hadwen Trust for Humane Research is celebrating it's 35th Birthday with a Gala Dinner at the Paddington Hilton in London on the 15th October 2005. The 3 course meal will be vegan and mouthwateringly delicious! Celebrities attending include Joanna Lumley, Sean Hughes, Virginia McKenna and Caroline Lucas MEP. We are offering a massive discount on the booking of a table for 10. The cost would normally be £95 per ticket - that's £950 for a table. But if you book 10 tickets now, we will discount that price to £760. That's a 20% saving on the normal ticket price.

Contact the Trust now on 01462 436819 or e-mail info@drhadwentrust.org.uk.

Please mention that you saw this on Vegan Village.

Default Vegan Ball for Dr Hardwen Trust - are you going?

If any of you are thinking of going we could get together and share a table.

Sophie

Gliondrach

Default Re: Vegan Ball for Dr Hardwen Trust - are you going?

I won't be going but I hope that it is a great success and brings in a lot of dosh.

I would be tempted to go if I could dance with Wendy Turner. Someone would have to keep her husband occupied. He used to be Minder but I could take him. I wouldn't want to cause any trouble, though, so it would be better if he didn't see me dancing with his wife. I would also require a table to myself. I am very antisocial at mealtimes. Have you ever seen a savage dog at dinner? It's best not to approach them.

i couldn't afford that much dosh for a bit of grub and anyway, if i start dancing in public people start throwing shoes at me till i stop.

shame though, would be cool to say hello to the mighty mr z.

It's Sean Hughes I'm rather tempted by - but luckily I'll have my hubby with me to keep me happy

I certainly hope there'll be lots of food so we won't have to fight over it!

Who is Sean Hughes???

I too think this event is very expensive and as such won't be going. I am all for raising money, but can't spare £95, or £76 for that matter. I wanted to go to the Vegan ball last year but that was about the same price.

Tofu, I am sure I am not alone in saying that I would love to see you dance.
    Go vegan!

Sean Hughes used to be on Never Mind the Buzzcocks (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115286/ ), he's a very funny bloke.

It's indeed the standard kind of price for a ball - though big organisations/charities can charge a lot more. It is pricy all the same, but I just like to splash out and go to a big event once a year supporting a great cause. The other people there tend to be the doers of this world so are interesting to meet.

Oh I see. And he is vegan? Cool. I thought I recognised the name, but couldn't place him. I haven't actually heard of most of the others at all though!

I know, it's just still expensive for me. Have fun.
    Go vegan!

I'd well be up for that - not sure if I could persuade t'other half, though, although Sean Hughes might help in that direction.

Oh wow, a BALL!!

I'd love to go but i've no one to go with and its wayyyyyyyy too expensive...

FAIRY GODMOTHER????

Where are you??
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Gliondrach

Rebecca Callard and Karin Ridgers look quite danceable, too.

If I was going, I would wear my white suit.

Quote catmogg
    I'd love to go but i've no one to go with and its wayyyyyyyy too expensive...
    Look no further.. Kiran is here.

I can't really afford it either, but I will have just had my first proper paycheck from my new job and it does sound good. Sophie - maybe if you've almost got a tableful and have one space left you can't fill, let me know.

Will do Twinkle - you're great company so that would be excellent.

Too expensive for me, although I do have their xmas catalogue on my desk and it's the first ever charity catalogue I've had that actually has anything in it that's worth buying at decent prices. May make an order from it instead.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Rob - have you managed to persuade your other half?

Kiran - are you coming along? ;o)

Far to expensive for me and they still have got rid of all the Nutters with ticking Rucksacks in London yet.

Good cause but I think I would sooner send a donation and keep my limbs.

If I had the time and money I would do a vegan bash for the normal wage earners with all sorts of sillyness.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Quote SophieFP
    Rob - have you managed to persuade your other half?
    That's a no, I'm afraid. Might have been doable if it had been closer to us, but she wasn't willing to travel to London and back for some food she's already convinced she would hate

I'm going, tickets finally arrived this morning!!! Booked my seats way back before I knew about the special deal for a table (last year we managed to go in on a table at the Vegan Ball dinner and dance).

I know this is expensive, as the Vegan Ball was, but I like to be able to go totally glam and splash out on an evening like meat eaters and veggies get to do.

I know that if I wasn't vegan my other half and I would often eat out at very expensive places (like the Oxo Tower and other big name restaurants) when we went out to dinner. I'm all for the cheap and cheerful but do like to go high end as well from time to time. Luckily we can afford it.

Vegans are just as diverse a group as any other section of society. I think events like this challenge the stereotype a lot of people have of vegans (as low income hippie types who have limited money to spend and would rather cook meals from scratch!) That is just not me!

I want the whole range of vegans to be catered for. This inevitably means some things will only appeal to some people - in terms of the type of event as well as financial considerations - as is the way of the world in general!

Quote Marrers
    I'm going, tickets finally arrived this morning!!! Booked my seats way back before I knew about the special deal for a table.
    Hi Marrers - if you count as 2 that makes 8 people we know who could share a table. If we get two more we could then each get a welcome little refund and they'd get cheaper tickets too! Would you be on for this?

And I agree, our diversity is our strength. Educating posh places is pretty necessary as they are normally the least inspired for vegan food - usually cheaper means better food! But Karin (the organiser) has convinced me they are being well educated for this ball, so that's great. She can convince anyone of anything - like getting me to go to the ball when I'm supposed to be saving up!

Quote SophieFP
    If we get two more we could then each get a welcome little refund and they'd get cheaper tickets too! Would you be on for this?
    I'm not sure how it would work since we paid months ago and already have our 2 tickets - but if you kow some way to sort it it's fine with me. (Even if it means I don't get any reduction at least others might benefit!)

I hope tickets are selling well.

I've just talked to the Dr H Trust and they are happy for us to share a table and find 2 more. Those two could pay us their £76 each, which we could share between us, to bring our already purchased tickets down to that price too. I'd be happy to co-ordinate it with the Trust.

They've still got plenty of spaces left for this excellent event - so if you can just about afford it anyone you are very welcome to join us!

Well I am really looking forward to it. Can anyone else from here be tempted to join us???? We could have a mini meet on the dancefloor!

Smile Re: Vegan Ball for Dr Hardwen Trust - are you going?

Excellent - I'm on for a bit of dancing! No ability required.

Smile Re: Vegan Ball for Dr Hardwen Trust - are you going?

Hey Marrers & Twinkle,

we have person number 9 who rang me up today, called Bridget.

The plan:
    * I phone Dr Hardwen as soon as I hear back from you and give our list of names wanting to share a table.
    * Bridget was going to buy a full ticket anyway, so can pay us somewhere between £76 and £95 which we can share between us.
    * Twinkle - are you on for it? - just pay us what you can if you feel you must - you'd be a hell of a lot more fun than an empty seat, and Tracey & Joe would be keen to see you too. I know I haven't found you a yummy young man to sit next to, but hopefully we'll suffice for company and you can find one on the dancefloor

Marrers - I'll need the name(s) that you booked under. Send me a private message if you like.

Oooh. Erm. Well, as usual I'm really short of cash, plus I don't actually have a ball gown that fits at the moment. However, I do have a housemate with a credit card who will let me get a ballgown using that if I can't find a decent second hand one.

When do you need to know by? Now, I suppose. I'm so bad at decisions! :dither:

Twinkle- would be lovely to see you if you can make it. Let us know.

Meanwhile, the place is open to all takers for £76 - bargain!

Got me a dress

See you there!

The time is drawing near and I have no idea what clothes still fit me (since I went to the Vegan Fair and bought a ton of Troody's truffles and Dr Hadwen choccys . . . )
    No time to slim into anything as it's tomorrow!!
    So there could be tears on the day as I don't plan on trying anything on til then!!

I've got dodgy mountain biking scars on my legs so it's a long dress for me! (Silvery with Stephen in a black collarless suit if you're looking out for us before seating)

Sophie

But scars are sexy!

But when do we ever get a chance to wear our long dresses these days?! Especially silvery ones!

It was a great night and lovely to meet everyone although I drank far too much vegan wine and had a dreadful hangover all day today! When will I learn, can't hack it like I used to when I was young . . .

Great to meet you in the flesh Marrers. (If any of you are stuck for a dinner companion in the Croydon area, I would heartely recommend Marrers.) I left my goodie bag behind , that dreaded liquid.

It was the best Veggie ball I've been to (a weekly occurence, of course). It was a very positive night and it felt like an Dr H was an organisation all pulling in the same direction.

I got to chat to Sean Hughs about animal rights (we got him to take photos of us, it seemed right thing to do), the very nice couple that run Bourgeious Boheme, the fun woman that is Vegan Village (again the alcohol, it has removed names from my memory), Frank Thunder (VS Council candidate - give him a vote) and lots of others who hopefully have a better memory than me.

One of the speakers also brought to my attention this story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4296606.stm which I missed at the time.

Tracey took your goodie bag for you Stevie - let's just hope there are still a few things in it by the time it is passed back to you!

A good time had by all I hope!

Quote StevieP
    One of the speakers also brought to my attention this story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4296606.stm which I missed at the time.
    I just found some other groups chatting about the above story and felt I must share one of the observations:

its good to know. this is jst more proof aliens exicst and we evolved

yes i do blieve there will be a problem with the apes in the future and yes i think were going to have to kill them off unless we can get them onto another planet, like the greys did to probly save our race.

I would have loved to have gone to this but didn;t know wnaything about it as I have only just joined this site too - what was the meal and what was the entertainment?

Veggie x

Luckily the apes aren't all being killed off yet or sent to other planets, but the Dr Hadwen Trust is still very much needed to stop them and other animals being persecuted for no good reason. They've already developed many successful non-animal testing techniques which are being widely used and animal testing has dropped by 50%, so we learnt on Sat.

And it was indeed a lovely ball with excellent company. Our table was the best of course

Karin did an amazing job on the hotel, and it is the first time I've eaten in a large posh place where I got enough, it was tasty, and they used tofu. The pasion fruit pole (a jellyish lollypop) was amazing - and I'm not usually impressed by fruit puddings which are normally a cop-out. Even the wine was organic and vegan that night, and obviously popular.

Shame you missed it Veggie, look out on this UK forum for balls in the future - hopefully there will be others, though one a year is enough for us financially!

Marrers - would be great to see you again without having to wait for another vegan ball. Thanks for the news about Stephen's goodie bag, Tracey is honourable, but I'm not sure the choc will be safe with Joe....

I also had a good time, though I wish I hadn't had to leave early. It turned out I could have caught a train quite a bit later, and we (the friends I was staying with and I) ended up staying up until 3.30am anyway. Still, I had an excellent weekend overall - went to the Green Cafe on Richmond Green on Sunday to chase away the hangover with a smoothie and an almond twist