Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas food and recipes

Default Re: christmas Food

Quote cedarblue View Post
    i made cherry's chestnut roast in the end and it was lovely, thanks!
    the chestnuts made it taste really rich and luxurious.
    great with stuffing and cranberry sauce on biscuits too!
    Cool I made that too. I have to confess though to Bryzee that I didn't get round to a nutroast sandwich. My mum did, but then there wasn't any nutroast left!

Default Re: christmas Food

Cherry - whilst we are complimenting you on your recipes...can I just say how AMAZING the chocolate cheesecake is!!
    I had all my omni family asking for the recipe! It is absolutely gorgeous!

Default Yule pudding

Has anybody got a tried and tested recipe for a really rich fruit pudding please?

Default Re: Yule pudding

Can't remember whether i've tried this before or not:

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getreci...istmas_pudding

It's not Yule yet!

Peace, love, and happiness.

They're best made before Yule, giving them time to mature.
    I'm going to make a few extra ones for pressies too.

Default What are you having for Yule lunch?

Or Christmas?

Or Thanksgiving?

I want to make something I've not had before and am looking for inspiration .... so come on all you foodies, what are you planning on having?

(or, if you're not even thinking about it until a few days before, what did you have last year? )

Default Re: What are you having for Yule lunch?

I bought 'Cook Vegetarian' magazine the other day and was really surprised by the great recipes, a lot are either vegan or can be veganised.

We decided to make the vegan individual ale and mushroom puff pastry pies. It's one of the gourmet recipes from the Cordon vert school.

We will also do the smoked bean curd medallions with shiitake and walnut stuffing.

There will be a selection of veg, vegan bread sauce, roast potatoes, sprouts (of course) and vegan christmas pudding because I love christmas pudding.
    Silent but deadly :p

cobweb

we always have the same thing but i love it!

we have sausages wrapped in fake rashers, nut roast, roast potatoes, sprouts and stuffing (sage and onion)
    then we have a chocolate cake with white 'snow' icing decorated with christmassy figures for pudding. That is our 'official' Christmas Day Meal.

For the Winter Solstice we give each other a little present and have some sort of yummy food aswell. Two fattening meals to look forward to! .

For Thanksgiving Dinner last night: mushroom torte, cranberry sauce, mushroom gravy, poatoes, yams, green beans, creamed corn, wholewheat dinner rolls. Dessert was a pumpkin spice vegan cheesecake.

Today's Thanksgiving Dinner: Tofurky roast with gravy & cranberry sauce, apple cranberry dumplings, roasted parnship, shallots, delicata squash and carrot with dijon viniagrette, roasted herb potatoes, creamed corn. Dessert will be apple pie with vanilla soy icecream

BlackCats

*drools*

I was thinking of making a more traditional Christmas lunch this year and trying out tofurkey maybe, you can get that in the UK right? I might even make a cake or a pie! My husband only eats turkey, roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings anyway as he doesn't eat veggies so the Yorkshire puds will have to be vegetarian not vegan.

(Sorry Aradia no inspiration here, just wittering on!)

We have whatever we fancy It was Indian last year and this year it will be picnic food as we've decided to wrap up and head for the beach. My 5 year old has requested Christmas cake, vegan chocolate and grapes! That should be easy enough
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

Nut roast with all the trimmings, mince pies and christmas pud with soya cream on christmas day and for winter solstice/yule I make a chocolate yule log with chocolate icing dusted with icing sugar.

I've never made vegan yorkshire puddings before but I might give this recipe a go http://www.yumyum.com/recipe.htm?ID=21722

We've not decided as yet what we're having for Yule lunch. It will be our first as vegans, so I'm starting to look in to ideas. I recently fished out a recipe called "Timbale aux Marrons", which my aunt made for me years ago. I remember it being verrrrrrry nice. Mmmmm, and roast chestnuts...*drool*

We also celebrate Sinterklaas, so much pre-planning of vegan sweets and chocs and goodies!

Hemlock, those ale and mushroom puff pastry pies sound lush, as do the smoked bean curd medallions with the stuffing! Think I might get myself a copy of Cook Vegetarian mag

I made a chocolate fruit cake last year, which I will try to recreate.

Quote pusskins View Post
    I made a chocolate fruit cake last year, which I will try to recreate.
    Never thought of of a chocolate/fruit combo before, sounds good. Care to share the recipe?

Quote Vikki View Post
    Never thought of of a chocolate/fruit combo before, sounds good. Care to share the recipe?
    No probs. I got the recipe from this website. I just had a pootle around looking at other recipes and came across this great-sounding boozy job.

They aren't vegan recipes. I've not had much chance as yet to try to veganize recipes, but I'm going to have great fun giving it a go! I have learned SO much from the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World recipe book!

Quote pusskins View Post
    Hemlock, those ale and mushroom puff pastry pies sound lush, as do the smoked bean curd medallions with the stuffing! Think I might get myself a copy of Cook Vegetarian mag
    Yes, I was so impressed with it I'm going to get myself a subscription!
    Silent but deadly :p

Thanks for the recipe, pusskins.

Hemlock - where did you get that magazine?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Can't wait for a great big Yule dinner! I go mad every year and usually spend about four days finishing everything off!

Nut and suasage roast (ground nuts and sosmix-yes I know it is really unhealthy but very yummy), Suasages wraped in bacon, got to have brussell sprouts! cauliflower and courgette 'cheese', carrots, mashed swede, roast parsnips, roast potatoes, stuffing, cabbage, any other veg i can think of, bread sauce, gravey.. I may even have a go at yorkshire puds this year!

This is usaully after a starter (usually some sort of soup) and followed up by a very bif portion of christmas pud and squirty cream!

Ohh I can't wait! I hope everyone else is starting to get excited!
    Sx BB
    To you it's food; To them it's life

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Hemlock - where did you get that magazine?
    WH Smith I think!
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

I will be having a look for that one then!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

BlackCats

Quote Smiles View Post
    Nut and suasage roast (ground nuts and sosmix-yes I know it is really unhealthy but very yummy), Suasages wraped in bacon, got to have brussell sprouts! cauliflower and courgette 'cheese', carrots, mashed swede, roast parsnips, roast potatoes, stuffing, cabbage, any other veg i can think of, bread sauce, gravey.. I may even have a go at yorkshire puds this year!
    Blooming hell, that sounds lovely.

helen105281

Default Christmas dinner 2008

I have looked through the archives and there have been threads in previous years on the same topic but wanted to start one for this year.

What are you all cooking for Christmas dinner this year?

This will be mine and my boyfriend's first Christmas dinner in our flat (we usually go to my Mum's) and we want to cook something wonderful. We are also going to my sister's for Boxing day but bringing our own main course which my sister may also eat. She is veggie but eats fish

seitan

Default Re: Christmas dinner 2008

nothing, ill be mountain biking on the malverns with 4 other vegans ;-)

Chestnut Puff w/ Roast Veggies, Stuffing & Gravy for Lunch

Then Chocolate Gateux, Trifle and Ice Cream sundea thing for dinner. haha

Don't know about the main dish, but me and my omni family are planning on making vegan brownies, cookies, and pie!

We're going to make some other yummy food stuffs too (just don't remember what)!

So far I've decided that I'll be doing a Tofurkey with the apple cranberry dumplings that come with it, and the gravy that comes with it as well. In addition we'll have roast potatoes and golden rutabaga casserole. And that's all I've decided on so far.

cobweb

i wanted to do sausages wrapped in 'bacon' but i can't get the sausages i want, or the bacon (so far, anyway)

so i think it will be roast tatties, sprouts, Yagga, stuffing balls, and LM sausages for the child instead of the Yagga
    then we'll eat a snowman cake i'm going to make.

I do chestnut roast with all the usual veg every year, cos I'm boring. Not sure what the starter/dessert/snack options are going to be yet though.

BlackCats

(Damn I forgot to order stuffing.)

We are having roast potatoes, roast parsnips, broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrots with "cheese" sauce, LM sausages with fake bacon rashers and maybe cheating roast turkey slices. Also onion gravy, cranberry sauce and sage and onion stuffing when I buy some. (My husband is also having non-vegan yorkshire puddings with his.)

We are having champagne also.

I can't believe it's next week.

My bf's mum is making me tortelloni, 2 kinds; both egg-free fresh pasta, one with a mushroom/tofu filling and the other tofu/pistachio. We'll be eating at relatives all three days (here you eat festive meals on the 24th, 25th and 26th) so I won't have any hand in the menus - apart from the pasta I'll just be eating whatever is going and is vegan

Quote Roxy View Post
    So far I've decided that I'll be doing a Tofurkey with the apple cranberry dumplings that come with it, and the gravy that comes with it as well. In addition we'll have roast potatoes and golden rutabaga casserole. And that's all I've decided on so far.

Have you tried the tofurkey dinner? if so enjoy it! If not, I had the one iwth the apple cranberry dumplings for thanksgiving. The "turkey" was good, I could have done with out the gravy and dumplings. I also know they sell just the turkey for like $15 cheaper, then you could just make your own sides. just a friendly piece of advice!
    -zee

I think my mum's doing a veggie haggis this year. I'll have to keep my eye on her so that she doesn't add anything nasty to the mashed spuds though

We're probably going to do lasagna, and maybe even doughnuts!

Also I want some jello/jelly (vegan of course) and cranberry sauce.

cobweb

i can amend mine now (yay!)..........

celebration roast (slice thingies with sausages wrapped in bacon), sprouts, tatties, stuffing balls and haggis.

lm sausages, roast pots, sprouts, carrots and swede, stuffing balls, roast parsnips, i believe bisto 'beef' gravy granules are ok, no milk in them, and xmas pud with alpro custard.

BlackCats

Quote pie View Post
    i believe bisto 'beef' gravy granules are ok, no milk in them,
    I saw some beef gravy granules in a shop yesterday and I read the ingredients and they looked vegan but I didn't buy them because I thought they must have something non vegan in them. Maybe I might go back and get them. I saw a vegan x-mas pudding as well but I don't like them but it seemed a shame not to buy it.

Our crimbo dinner will be feeding 2 vegans, 2 veggies and 4 omnivores.
    Starter, leek and chesnut purses with a red pepper and ginger chutney
    Main, mushroom wellington, individual 3 nut roasts, rasher wrapped veggie sausage, stuffing balls, roast pots n parsnips, carrots, savoy cabbage, cauliflower non-cheese and gravy.
    Dessert, Orange liqueur puddings with spiced cream or crimbo pudding made by my mum.
    Woah! I know after that lot I'm not going to be able to walk my dog very far. I guess she will have to just get a little fatter too!

It'll be dinner at my brother and his fiancé's this year, that means I'll be eating the same vedgies as everyone else (he'll use pure sunflower for the mash as he prefers it anyway) plus a nut roast and cheap-o gravy.
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

re: christmas dinner mother says 'I hope this is just a phase'. niiiice

I'm not sure what to do for xmas din. I'm making pumpkin cheesecake, I know that! xmas eve we just do appetizers so I was going to do chips and pico de gallo and guac and name some dumplings or spring rolls. For xmas dinner they're doing a roast and sides. I have no clue what to do!! I did a tofurky for thanksgiving and want something different.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote Anastazee View Post
    Have you tried the tofurkey dinner? if so enjoy it! If not, I had the one iwth the apple cranberry dumplings for thanksgiving. The "turkey" was good, I could have done with out the gravy and dumplings. I also know they sell just the turkey for like $15 cheaper, then you could just make your own sides. just a friendly piece of advice!
    Thanks I've made the Tofurkey roast several times, and love it! We picked up the whole feast for $19.99 on sale.

Redwood celebration roast, roast potatoes, falafel and veggies.

The celebration roast is awesome, it does me for christmas right up til the new year ^^;

It's our first Christmas together, and also our first in a Vegan household. We already have a Redwoods Celebration Roast in the freezer. The will also be Cabbage. The rest I am undecided on as yet.

Quote squigaletta View Post
    re: christmas dinner mother says 'I hope this is just a phase'. niiiice
    that's a shame! my mum's always been accepting, she's cooking me Christmas dinner this year in fact (as happens almost every year). i don't know what it's going to be yet.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I had a test run of making a nut roast last night that turned out really well (had leftovers in sandwich for lunch). Was a bit like vegan haggis. So I'm going to do that with a few tweaks. There will also be celebration roast, sage and onion stuffing, roast spuds, roast parsnips, roast carrots, steamed sprouts, steamed greens, steamed leeks, steamed green beans, cranberry sauce, mint sauce, bread sauce. Maybe yorkshire puds too.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

cobweb

Quote aubergine View Post
    It's our first Christmas together, and also our first in a Vegan household. We already have a Redwoods Celebration Roast in the freezer. The will also be Cabbage. The rest I am undecided on as yet.

ooh, have you got a place together of your own now??
    great news, if so!

cobweb

Quote Gorilla View Post
    that's a shame! my mum's always been accepting, she's cooking me Christmas dinner this year in fact (as happens almost every year). i don't know what it's going to be yet.

you lucky git, my mum still thinks it's a phase
    (i'm getting on for 40, have been veggie since i was a teen and vegan for about 11 of those years )

I think a lot of parents see anything different as just being a phase.
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.