Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas food and recipes

Default Christmas food and recipes

I wasn't sure where to put this exactly or whether someone else has already posted it, but Viva have a Christmas recipes page with the opportunity to send off for a free leaflet if you're in the UK (also a free magazine).

One of my friends says this leaflet was also available last year, apparently he distributed it around his area and he reckons it's pretty good.

Smile Christmas Biscuits

Dear All

I need a recipe for Vegan christmas biscuits by tonight (weds) as I'm going to the supermarket tonight so any ingredients can be obtained.

I just wondered if anyone had any recipes to knock the socks off my meat eating family and prove to them we can have a cruelty free christmas at our party on 24th?

A ginger biscuit recipe would be ideal (as i have adorable christmas cookie cutters) but any suggestions are welcome

Jen x

dyocis

Default Simple tasty recipes to make vegan gf Christmas dinner. Please Help Me!!

OK,

I've been dating my girlfriend for about 6 months now. She has been a vegan for a long time, and I have always respected that about her and eat according to her diet when I am with her.

Here is the HELP! part. I want to make her Christmas dinner when she gets back from her parents house on Monday. There's only one tiny little problem, I'm not the best cook to begin with and have never cook vegan before. Can you guys PLEASE help me with some simple but tasty recipes that a beginner can't mess up? I would really appreciate it.

I've been looking through your forum hoping that I would be able to find something without bothering anyone, but every recipe I look at, there is something that I have no clue about.

I really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Simple tasty recipes to make vegan gf Christmas dinner. Please Help Me!!

Perhaps you could try a nut roast - there's a recipe here that sounds very simple. Along with that you could have some mashed potatoes (try frying a little crushed garlic in oil and mashing this into the potatoes - very tasty!!!) and steamed veggies. If you can get vegan gravy granules you could have some gravy too - perhaps the others can help out with a vegan gravy recipe. Good luck with your dinner!

Edit: If nut roast sounds too scary, marinated tofu is very simple - mix soy sauce, crushed garlic, lemon juice and grated fresh ginger; cut the tofu into pieces and leave to soak in the marinade for a few hours. You can then grill it, lightly fry it or eat it cold, with potatoes or rice and vegetables. If you mix some of the marinade with a little peanut butter you get a delicious and nutritious sauce. It's not as filling as the nut roast, but way simpler and I'm sure she'd appreciate the thought.

dyocis

Default Re: Simple tasty recipes to make vegan gf Christmas dinner. Please Help Me!!

fiamma, thanks, that does sound easy and I even know what everything is!!

I'm also going to try that tofu...it sounds good for a light dinner before we go salsa dancing (one more thing I've never done before). LOL

I appreciate all your help!

If you have some specific recipes in mind but are not sure about some parts, you could link to them and we could help you on the bits you don't know how to do

dyocis

Thank you to both of you. I'm going to use the nut roast recipe. I also found an artichoke mushroom casserole recipe that I'm going to try, and some sweet mashed potatos. (I raided her personal recipe book, since most of the stuff that she makes me is amazing, I figured I would use some of hers too!!) I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions in the future about recipes and stuff. For some reason all the food she makes me is so much more tasteful and amazing than anything else I've ever had. I don't know maybe its just her magic touch.

What a sweet thing to do, dyocis! All the very best with your special Christmas dinner - be sure to let us know how it all turns out

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default christmas Food

thought we could have a thread where we can tell each other about christmas foods you've seen in the shops or are going to make

I was in holland barrett and saw vegan chrimbo mince pies and a chocolate selection box.

Default Re: christmas Food

Bryan's Xmas meal from last year was GOOOOOOOORGEOUS!
    It consisted of:

"Bacony" sprouts,
    Roast Parsnips,
    Roasted chestnuts,
    Carrots,
    Roast potatoes,
    stuffed cashew nut roast (homemade!),
    gravy,
    Vegan trifle,
    Fruit cake,
    mince pies.

Erm...there's probably more. I think we had a starter as well.

Hi yum, will have to check out the vegan mince pies, great find! This will be my first vegan christmas so this thread will be closely watched. Im going to make a stuffed cashew nut roast this year and make all the veggies really special.
    Its my first time cooking for all the family as well, and no their not vegan, so ive really got to wow them.
    I'll use Alpro custard to go with the pud and maybe make my own brandy sauce.

Joeybee: Is Bryan's christmas dinnera brand or was it cooked from scratch by someone called bryan? Looks lush!
    I find christmas dinner sad in some respecrs because there will be people on my table having turkey etc and i want my dinner to be top notch vegan yumminess!
    Last year my mum made me a nut roast with banana to bind and it was really tasty... mmmm
    Any recipes for things would be great too

mmmmmmmmmmm food!

yum
    xxxx

It's gonna be a bit harder to make everything how I want this year - We're eating at Jo's brothers house rather than our own, so I think I'll take my own loaf tin up to Manchester with me and prepare a chestnut roast the night before. I might go to my nanna's to prepare all of my food, cos she has mixing bowls, scales etc and Jo's parents haven't. That'll make it easier.

This year, the menu'll probably be:
    Fruit cake as per usual,
    Mince pies,
    Christmas pud for me, something else for Jo (she hates christmas pud!),
    Chestnut roast,
    sage and onion stuffing (that packet stuff for convenience),
    Roast spuds and parsnips,
    The usual sprouts, carrots etc,
    Graaaaaaavyyyyy,
    might do some pigs in blankets,
    maybe a starter, though Jo might not eat her dinner if I do that.

Oh and After Eights for...after. Well, own brand cos Nestle are poo.

Quote yum View Post
    Joeybee: Is Bryan's christmas dinnera brand or was it cooked from scratch by someone called bryan? Looks lush!
    I find christmas dinner sad in some respecrs because there will be people on my table having turkey etc and i want my dinner to be top notch vegan yumminess!
    Last year my mum made me a nut roast with banana to bind and it was really tasty... mmmm
    Any recipes for things would be great too

mmmmmmmmmmm food!

yum
    xxxx
    hahah no it wasn't brand, was cooked by my lovely Fiance, bryzee86 on this forum.

Ooh and also, I agree, all my family are meat eaters and I'll be with them on xmas day, it really puts me off my lovely food when I can smell cooking flesh!

Erm, if you want a good recipe pm Bryzee cos his stuff usually turns out quite nice...though I may be a bit biased!

animaladvocate

I'm going to break with tradition and make a victoria sponge cake with buttercream and sweet mincemeat instead of jam and sweet mincemeat cheesecake.

I like it that it's "christmas Food" and not "Christmas food"

cos the Food is more important than christmas

Exactly

Quote Yum
    and a chocolate selection box.
    A vegan one! ???? I got all excited for a fraction of a second when I saw the montezuma's chocolate advent calendars on the uk veganstore website, but they're SOOOOO expensive!! I'd rather have several bars of montezuma's chocolate and an advent calendar with pictures.

I'm going to make lots of orange and walnut mince pies
    Chestnut roast
    Carrot and turnip (with some plain boiled carrots for my brother in law!)
    Sprouts
    Roast potatoes and parsnips
    Onion gravy
    Stuffing (packet stuff cos it's squidgier!)
    Gingerbread christmas shapes with chocolate
    Christmas cake - though might make this early as half my family don't like it and there's never enough room by the time we've eaten everything else.
    Christmas pud
    and some sort of alternative to christmas pud like a chocolate cheesecake

Quote Cherry View Post
    I'm going to make lots of orange and walnut mince pies
    Chestnut roast
    Carrot and turnip (with some plain boiled carrots for my brother in law!)
    Sprouts
    Roast potatoes and parsnips
    Onion gravy
    Stuffing (packet stuff cos it's squidgier!)
    Gingerbread christmas shapes with chocolate
    Christmas cake - though might make this early as half my family don't like it and there's never enough room by the time we've eaten everything else.
    Christmas pud
    and some sort of alternative to christmas pud like a chocolate cheesecake
    you copying me? nah I copied you. after all i'm using your recipes.

Lol- 'christmas Food' must be a typo The chocolate selection box is vegan as in truffles and choc liquors. Mmmmm vegan advent calender!

yeah i saw that box of choccies. Might have to get one - i'll have the liquers and jo can have the truffles.

Damn right I'll have the truffles!!

Quote Cherry View Post
    I got all excited for a fraction of a second when I saw the montezuma's chocolate advent calendars
    Quote Cherry View Post
    I'd rather have several bars of montezuma's chocolate and an advent calendar with pictures.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I think for Christmas dinner (lunch, actually), I am going to make veggie 'meatloaf', mashed potatoes, stuffing, and gravy. Mmmm.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Vegan mince pies in Sainsburys, the 'Basics' ones in the ultra cheap packaging.

The Sainsburys organic and ttd mincemeats are both labelled vegan.

Oh good, maybe the pricy ones will be a bit, well, nicer

good finds bluemoon and mr flibble. I think the holland and barrett vegan micepies were pricey. Alot of things especially made vegan r pricey

Thanks for my Montezuma's advent calendar Mr Flibble

Quote Bryzee
    you copying me? nah I copied you. after all i'm using your recipes.
    I don't think either of us can take the credit for creating 'Christmas dinner' tho

You can have the credit for the best vegan christmas cake recipe ever though. Go on, you deserve it.

I wonder if I can get my nana to do a vegan one using your recipe? she used to make the best christmas cakes...

Can't you get your nana to make a big chocolate cake instead?

nah, i do the chocolate cakes, silly.

i've been sent on a mission to source vegan mince pies for christmas...
    are the sainsbury's value ones def still vegan this year? that sounds a much better option than expensive 'free from' ones!
    does anyone know of any other brands? eg co-op? (i heard they put milk in?)

Quote emmy View Post
    i've been sent on a mission to source vegan mince pies for christmas...
    are the sainsbury's value ones def still vegan this year? that sounds a much better option than expensive 'free from' ones!
    does anyone know of any other brands? eg co-op? (i heard they put milk in?)
    I think Morrisons mini Mince pies are vegan.

ive seen quite a few mince pies that are vegan. But the sainsburys own brand christmas pudding is vegan too (the cheap one in the white tub) had that last year and it was really nice

Yeah sainsburys basics are, none of tesco's are, budgens are erm...dunno about any others!

I'm sure the Morrison's mini mince pies have milk or something... I was in there the other day and checked 'cause they look so good, threw them back down in disgust.

Mr Flibble said on another thread the Sainsburys TTD and some other ones are, but my Sainsburys seem to have dropped their entire TTD range. Stupidly, the Free From ones don't appear to be vegan!
    Last edited by Blue moon; Nov 27th, 2007 at 10:35 AM. Reason: duh, it was this thread

I said ttd mincemeat, not mincepies

yeah the TTD ones undoubtedly have milk in. They seem to think butter is luxurious....

Quote animaladvocate View Post
    I'm going to break with tradition and make a victoria sponge cake with buttercream and sweet mincemeat instead of jam and sweet mincemeat cheesecake.
    That's an interesting idea. Have you done it before, or will it be an experiment? I sometimes find all the heavy fruit stuff a bit much, but that's certainly an interesting take on it.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

turns out that the sainsburys value ones are vegan - thank you for the heads up!
    i find a lot of the 'free from' stuff isn't really 'free from' much at all. mainly just wheat. even if it's dairy free it ends up being full of egg. yuck! (it's also a total rip off!)

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I said ttd mincemeat, not mincepies
    Doh! Note to self, pay more attention That'd be why my local Sainsburys didn't have any posh vegan ones then! Basics ones are definitely vegan - probably nicer warmed up than straight from the packet.

mmmmmmmm warm mince pies with alpro custard.
    i'm hungry.

What is the difference between mince pie and mincemeat pie? Is the first one savoury (with meat) and the other a dessert?

They're both the same - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mince_pie
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ah, okay, then that's explained.

Orange & Lemon slices in Sainsburys too, in a fancy little box where all the xmas chocs are

Mmm looking forward to christmas... Im cooking a traditional danish chrismas meal (exept the meat)

So its..
    Nutroast
    Boiled potatoes
    Gravy
    red cabbage
    browned potatoes (small potatoes fried in margarine and sugar)
    Im so looking forward to it

Quote Risker View Post
    Jeez, what doesn't have a wikipedia page anymore?

Great thread by the way, I plan to spend most of Christmas eating. Mmmmm, eating.
    How did I get down here?

I'm going to make

Cranberry and pecan nut roast with sweet potatoes
    Crispy roast potatoes (and lots of 'em!)
    Carrots and shallots baked with a bit of maple syrup
    Garlic and saffron mashed potatoes
    Roasted (and burnt in places) parsnips
    Bread sauce
    Cranberry sauce
    Stuffing

Home made mincemeat pies with brandy butter

Chocolate cake, filled with chocolate ganachey stuff, covered in chocolate, with chocoate gratings on top. Possibly with a side helping of melted choc, chip double chocolate.

Then I'll either take the dogs for a long walk.... or possibly explode!