Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Christmas food and recipes

Default Re: Christmas dinner 2008

Good for you
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

my mum made me carrot and leek soup for starter, main course was butternut squash roast with tomato sauce, roast potatoes, homegrown carrots, green beans, roast parsnips and gravy. pudding was a mincemeat crumble my mum also made herself with soya cream. i had a lot of white wine to drink with it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

we finally had our christmas dinner last night! To start we had mini filo pastry things, red oinion, spinich or brocoli. for main, we had a tower of 3 different kinds of mash (mustard, cranberry and pesto), peas, baked tomatoes with pure and herbs and garlic, and LM sausages. and for pudding we had mulled wine fruits or chocoloate mousse with marron glace topping. I've been talking to my gran about veganism this holiday and she has decided to 'go vegan' I doubt it will last long but it was lovely for her to take our conversations so seriously. All the rest of my family had 'real' sausages but me and her just had the LM ones. And all night when she took stuff she would ask me if it was ok for her to have it .

Quote squigaletta View Post
    we finally had our christmas dinner last night! To start we had mini filo pastry things, red oinion, spinich or brocoli. for main, we had a tower of 3 different kinds of mash (mustard, cranberry and pesto), peas, baked tomatoes with pure and herbs and garlic, and LM sausages. and for pudding we had mulled wine fruits or chocoloate mousse with marron glace topping. I've been talking to my gran about veganism this holiday and she has decided to 'go vegan' I doubt it will last long but it was lovely for her to take our conversations so seriously. All the rest of my family had 'real' sausages but me and her just had the LM ones. And all night when she took stuff she would ask me if it was ok for her to have it .
    Your Gran sounds so cute!! I love it!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Zero

Christmas Lunch was somewhat ridiculous.

Main:
    Redwood sausages and cheezly mozzarella style wrapped in veggie bacon.
    Fry's Schnitzels
    Roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes, red onion and parsnips
    Stuffing
    Gravy

Dessert:
    Fruit Strudel with Swedish Glace

Snacks:
    Peanut butter and chocolate cookies

Some pics

BlackCats

How is that ridiculous Zero. It looks yummers.

Zero

Well the part that was ridiculous was the Redwood sausages and cheezly mozzarella style wrapped in veggie bacon.

But it was both fun and tasty!

RebeccaDye

Zero that looks gorgeous!
    I bloody love Fry's Schnitzels.

My aunty cooked for me and I had;
    Garlic mushrooms in a filo parcel
    Brussell sprouts
    Carrots
    Parsnips
    Roasted potatoes
    Cranberry and apple stuffing

It was delicious, but could have done with some vegan white sauce!

oh my god zero that all looks and sounds fantastic. Next year I'm hiring you for xmas dinner, also looking for a xmas day bouncer to keep the peace for next year too while I'm on the subject lol

Zero

Thanks Bradster. I can't take all the credit for that tasty food though my friend and I made it together, some of you know her on here as Khashoggi.

well whoever IS responsible will be making dinner for me next year, by choice or by force.

Quote Zero View Post
    Christmas Lunch was somewhat ridiculous.

Main:
    Redwood sausages and cheezly mozzarella style wrapped in veggie bacon.
    Fry's Schnitzels
    Roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes, red onion and parsnips
    Stuffing
    Gravy

Dessert:
    Fruit Strudel with Swedish Glace

Snacks:
    Peanut butter and chocolate cookies

I love the redwood sausages, some of them come in the celebration roast and I didn't know you could get them separately. And Fry's Schnitzels are awesome. All of that looks so good but there must be enough there to feed four people!

Zero

Yes, there were lots of left overs for the next day

BlackCats

Quote Zero View Post
    Well the part that was ridiculous was the Redwood sausages and cheezly mozzarella style wrapped in veggie bacon.
    That's not ridiculous, that's awesome.

That dinner sounds good as well Rebecca, what a great name you have as well btw.

Quote Zero View Post
    Yes, there were lots of left overs for the next day
    and why were these leftovers not delivered to me?

Zero

Because I was being selfish I guess?

You should think of those less fortunate than yourself at this time of year

Default Christmas recipes

I know some of you don't agree with the Vegetarian Society, so apologies in advance.

However this year they have come up with some Christmas recipes all of which I think I'm right in saying either are or can be vegan (even the one that looks as if it isn't!) so I thought some people might be interested

http://www.vegsoc.org/christmas/

Default Re: Christmas recipes

Looks good, even the one i didn't think would be
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

RubyDuby

Default Re: Christmas recipes

those look really good. thanks harpy.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Question Christmas dinner - help!

ok...this is my first christmas being vegan... i have been a vegan for about 4 months now, and was a vegetarian for almost a year, but just recently made the change to being vegan.

every year for xmas, my parents and i go to my grandmas to meet the ENTIRE family for dinner. our entire family gathers and eats dinner my grandma made. i know already, that basically everything there isnt for me to eat. she cooks very fattning style, and everything has butter, eggs, milk, cream, meat, ect. so i know i will have to bring my own food... idk, i figure people here can give me their stores/advice/what they do for the holidays, as i am sure every vegan has this issue of going to a non vegan dinner... i was thinking of packing my food and micowaving it up there...

Default Re: christmas dinner...HELP

I suggest that you pack your own food if you cannot be sure that the food your grandma prepares will be suitable for you. This is what I do at all social events.

Luckily, I have already expressed (and justified) my beliefs to family and they make allowances for my diet. This xmas I may have to put up with other people eating turkey, but I have made it quite clear to my immediate family the suffering that is caused by such actions. Aren't I a party-pooper?

This coming christmas will be my first vegan one too. Well, the people I will be eating with all know that I'm vegan, so that helps a lot already. Last year (when being ovo-lakto) I brought with me my own tofurkey which other people also got to eat. At least there will be potatoes will it? That's always vegan Unless she stirs butter in them...
    I also suggest making a sallad, maybe some really good with vegan mayo, and make enough for the others to eat. That way it might get less awkward than having some of your own food with you which only you eat.
    I usually get away with my veganism when dining at relatives with being very subtle about it. I just eat potatoes and salad and hope that no one will notice that I don't touch anything else on the table, usually no one even notices it.

You can always eat a more luxury meal when you get home

RubyDuby

We've been bringing along 2 dishes to share to our family gatherings; a main type dish and a side. It works well if it's something really yummy, and nothing with ingredients that others might think are weird or consider "fake". That way you get to eat and others get to try it if they choose. We've made mac salad, quinoa salad, Snobby Joes, fruit salad, edamame, pasta, corn pudding... I'd be happy to share any recipes.

I like Lara's idea as I've already used it Look up some recipes and make something delicious that other people will enjoy aswell. I made garlic bread at one of our family get togethers and they were awesome And it also lets them know that vegan food isn't just bland and boring

I actually had two thanksgivings this year. One with my family, where I made myself a pasta and they had their meat. And I had another with a friends family. We all went to his grandmothers house and she had actually cooked me a whole vegan meal They still had turkey and ham, but I thought it was really nice and considerate to spend extra time on the odd one out

for thanksgiving (which i had at my house) i made a gardien turky roast thingie, which turned out great!! i can make that, pack some veggies, and maybe some otehr sides =] i guess it wont be that bad, im already used to packing/bringing my own food for whenver i go my bfs house... =]

I always make my own food and bring it over. We go to two houses for the holidays. First my family's house, and my sister in law normally cooks me something, like dumplings and a dessert (because she loves to cook) but i still bring a main dish, and most of the time my family eats it, out of pure morbid curiousity. This year i made a Vegan Meat Loaf....and my damn family ate the whole thing, so I didn't even get left overs. I was pretty irratated. But most of the time I just do Tofurkey, which I adore. Then after I stuff myself at my parents house we go over to my boyfriends family's house and there is absolutely nothing for me to eat. Well they do set aside a few carrots and green beans that they don't put any butter on, but everything else they make is covered it butter, cheese, and everything else disgusting. I really don't understand how they think that I am going to be okay on carrots and green beans....but oh well. thats why i stuff my face at my parents house.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote gothdragon911 View Post
    ... i know already, that basically everything there isnt for me to eat. she cooks very fattning style, and everything has butter, eggs, milk, cream, meat, ect. so i know i will have to bring my own food...
    Couple of questions: does she know you're vegan (if not, mightn't she be offended, hurt or worried at you suddenly not eating her food which you've presumably enjoyed before?), and if she does know, how has she taken it? If she's supportive, or if you can get to talk to her beforehand, could you ask her to leave the butter out of some things, particularly side dishes or vegetables, or even set aside portions of some things before adding butter in? That way you could bring a main dish for you (good old fashioned nut loaf works for me!) and eat the same side dishes as everyone else
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote missbettie View Post
    ... This year i made a Vegan Meat Loaf....and my damn family ate the whole thing, so I didn't even get left overs...
    That must have been a PITA for you, but sounds like a good recipe! Care to share?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Thanksgiving "Meat" Loaf

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

2 egg equivalents (mix 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder, 1 tablespoon corn starch, and 4 tablespoons water)
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 (12-ounce) box medium-firm silken tofu
    1 (1 1/2-ounce) packet vegan dried onion soup mix
    3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
    1 teaspoon oil
    1 1/2 cups onion. chopped
    3/4 cup celery, chopped
    2 cups mushrooms (use portobello mushrooms for a heartier taste), chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoons basil
    1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
    1/2 teaspoon sage
    1 1/2 cups bread crumbs

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix egg substitute, soy sauce, tofu, and onion soup mix together in blender. Add walnuts and blend until smooth. Grease a loaf pan.

2. Heat oil and saute onion, celery, and mushrooms until onions are transparent. Add basil, oregano, and sage while vegetables are frying. Thoroughly mix blender ingredients, cooked vegetables and bread crumbs together in a large bowl.

3. Press into prepared loaf pan. (Or, as user giraelei suggests, "Instead of a loaf pan, I usually use a square cake pan and liberally coat the loaf with ketchup so it gets kind of burnt and caramelized. Yum!") Bake for 75 minutes. Let cool slightly. Turn loaf out and slice.

Variations: To make it stick together better, try lowering the bread crumbs to 3/4 cup and adding one of the following: 1 extra box of tofu, 1 cup of instant mashed potato flakes, 1 to 1 1/2 cup(s) cooked brown rice or 1 cup burger-style crumbles.

I got this from vegweb.com I've made it twice and its always delish, but i can never seem to get it solid in the middle...but its so good it doesn't matter...it seems more solid the next day...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Good luck with Christmas dinner, Gothdragon911!

My grandmother liked to sneak bacon into veg dishes for the unwary. Still miss her...
    If butter is the only issue with a vegetable or two then maybe she would go with a high quality vegan marg; after a phone call to butter her up (bad pun), a tub of -say- earthbalance could be dropped off to her for testing?

With family we really have to throw ourselves at their mercy to enjoy the holidays, don't we?

the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I agree with the idea of trying to talk to the grandma beforehand because she may be upset if you don't eat any of her food, and as has been pointed out it would be easy enough for her to leave the butter off some of the veg for you, or substitute margarine or olive oil. If she won't, well, you've tried and she has only herself to blame

I used to take a big bake-type thing (not unlike missbettie's recipe, but bigger) when I went to my grandmother's for Christmas and everyone used to have some as well as the other food. It kept me going for several meals. Make a large quantity to be on the safe side!

Default Re: Christmas dinner - help!

This year is my first Christmas dinner as a vegan. Not only that, I have accidentally turned into the hostess which might work out to my benefit. I knew my parents were coming, but now my sister's family is coming, too. We are currently living in a friend's tiny, 2-bedroom guest house while our house is being built. I'm planning the following menu:

Starter - Butternut squash soup - easy & can be made ahead

Main - Cashew Nut Roast with Sage and onion stuffing from The Vegan Family UK blog

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/yule.html

Sides - Garlic mashed potatoes, mashed turnips & carrots, green beans, an olive tray, sweet potato casserole (baked sweet potatoes with nutmeg and brown sugar, sprinkled with glazed pecans), and rolls

Desserts - Pumpkin pie, pecan pie

If I'm super ambitious, I might make a wild mushroom risotto, too. That will also depend on the price of mushrooms which have been sky high in Texas lately.

Oh yes, much easier if you're the host, apart from the hard graft. Menu looks great, can I come?

RubyDuby

Yum! Your family must be very open minded! Mine would never consider a holiday meal without a carcass to carve.

In my experience a lot of people will compromise over a festive meal if it means they don't have to cook it themselves! I'm in that lazy camp myself actually although I have cooked it in the past. We'll be going to a vegetarian restaurant for Christmas lunch and there will be one vegan, two vegetarians and three omnivores, so I suppose that's a result of sorts.

RubyDuby

Not my family. My sister would cry and not let her kids eat. My parents let me cook them dinner, but my dad wouldn't go for a meatless holiday. Maybe they're just more close-minded than most.

Yes, I think I remember you saying about your sister before, Ruby - she does sound a bit of an extreme case. Maybe mine are less meat-addicted than average, or I'm just a bully

Quote harpy View Post
    Oh yes, much easier if you're the host, apart from the hard graft. Menu looks great, can I come?
    Sure, Harpy...hop on a plane

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Yum! Your family must be very open minded! Mine would never consider a holiday meal without a carcass to carve.
    Teehee...Ruby, I haven't told them yet! Oopsie...guess that their reaction will be a fun post to do next...

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Not my family. My sister would cry and not let her kids eat. My parents let me cook them dinner, but my dad wouldn't go for a meatless holiday. Maybe they're just more close-minded than most.
    Ruby - I think your family reactions are pretty consistent with most Americans. They have such a closed minded view of vegans and it drives me nuts.

RubyDuby

lol can't wait to hear their reactions! Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thnks for all the tips

Not real name!

Try the Tofu Roast from Sarah Kramer's La Dolce Vegan.

Delicious if a little stressful during the preparation. That is until OH poured wine down my throat.

I'm mad lucky, I go to my mum's, and she always has a redwoods roast and vegi bacon for me. Everything else apart from the meat and the stuffing is always vegan too, and she even makes me a seperate bowl of stuffing. I love my mummy!

My poor OH is not so lucky. She goes to her mum's, who still insists on putting meat on her plate! It's ridiculous, but it makes me appreciate my mum all the more..

It's be a lot better if we could be together on christmas day for dinner, but both of our mothers suffer from that well known afliction, Irish Mammy Syndrome. Until I have my own kids there is absolutely no way in hell I couldn't be there on Christmas day.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

We used to spend Christmas with our respective families at one point, but now OH's mother comes over here so we get a double dose of mothers. Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages. We did escape abroad a couple of times but we don't like the possibility of anyone being left on their own involuntarily, and everyone's too polite to say they want to be left the hell alone - which is a distinct possibility IMO

Default What are/were you having for Christmas dinner?

I'm trying to figure out what to make for Christmas dinner. My mom has always always always made lasagna for Christmas eve, and that has been the big fancy get together meal. Everyone is too stuffed from sweets to eat a real dinner on Christmas day. Now that DH and I are in our own place I'd like to start our own traditions...and I need to figure out what to make for Christmas dinner.

I was thinking a seitan roast with maybe carrots and peas and mashed potatos and rolls...which admidetly is not my first choice of a meal but would make my husband very happy, and remind him of his childhood.

I was also thinking about stroganof with Gardein "meatless tips"

Or, lasagna....

any other really good ideas?

What are you having for Christmas dinner?

Default Re: What are you having for Christmas dinner?

We're going out for Christmas lunch, so I shall probably have something like curried tofu myself , but a lot of people do appreciate something vaguely traditional-looking like a roast with veg.

Someone posted a promising-sounding lasagne recipe a few days ago (yes, here: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...lasagna-recipe ). Personally I would steer clear of fake meat, especially if non-vegans are present, but also because I don't like it all that much myself - but if you all like it then go for it.

Rocket Queen

I am going to my parents-I think I will just have the veg, potatoes and whatever meat sub she gets in for me, she will do. It's the rest of the time staying there I worry about-I take my own convenience foods usually. Nuts, soups I have made and stored, chilli etc-I share with the rest of the family. This year I have made and frozen some mashed potato with xmassy herbs in them
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

It should just be my Husband and my daughter and myself, and he's pretty keen on most meat analogs...i guess he likes that brick in the bottom of your stomach feeling after a meal!

I try and make meals for holidays and occasions something like he's used to his mom cooking.

Of course he has no opinions on the matter, until I serve him rice and dal aand vegetable korma....then he's got an opinion!