Thread: Cheese substitute- very good

Thumbs up Cheese substitute- very good

I was playing around in the kitchen tonight, and made something fantastic by chance. When I was heating up polenta, I wanted to make a sauce to put on top that would be like melted cheese and I happened to have a block of VERY firm tofu in the fridge, so I grated it with the fine grater (like on a standard cheese grater with regular and small), the very small one. And heated it in a skillet with spices and stuff. What came out is now one of my new favorites... here's the recipe, enjoy.

1 cup VERY firm or Chinese dry yellow tofu (grated very finely)
    1 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional/ brewers yeast
    2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
    1 tsp Tumeric
    Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
    1/4 Cup Plain Soy Milk

Put all ingredients into a skillet and cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes thick, mixing well constantly (1-3 mins.).

That's it. Use this mix as a topping for fried potatoes, beans, in burritos and on quesadillas and tacos. What's REALLY good is to make a quesadilla with this stuff and slices of avacado, and some black beans. The fat in the avacado melts down and makes it super rich and satisfying.

I haven't tried to make a pizza with it yet, but I'll bet if you were to double the olive oil and bake it on top of something (lasagna maybe?) it would brown nicely and still stay creamy and wonderful. Let me know what you think of it. ROCKNROLLSEITAN.

RubyDuby

Default Re: Cheese substitute- very good

Quote rocknrollseitan
    I was playing around in the kitchen tonight, and made something fantastic by chance. When I was heating up polenta, I wanted to make a sauce to put on top that would be like melted cheese and I happened to have a block of VERY firm tofu in the fridge, so I grated it with the fine grater (like on a standard cheese grater with regular and small), the very small one. And heated it in a skillet with spices and stuff. What came out is now one of my new favorites... here's the recipe, enjoy.

1 cup VERY firm or Chinese dry yellow tofu (grated very finely)
    1 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional/ brewers yeast
    2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
    1 tsp Tumeric
    Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
    1/4 Cup Plain Soy Milk

Put all ingredients into a skillet and cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes thick, mixing well constantly (1-3 mins.).

That's it. Use this mix as a topping for fried potatoes, beans, in burritos and on quesadillas and tacos. What's REALLY good is to make a quesadilla with this stuff and slices of avacado, and some black beans. The fat in the avacado melts down and makes it super rich and satisfying.

I haven't tried to make a pizza with it yet, but I'll bet if you were to double the olive oil and bake it on top of something (lasagna maybe?) it would brown nicely and still stay creamy and wonderful. Let me know what you think of it. ROCKNROLLSEITAN.
    Sounds yummy but I don't know where I'd get the tofu. I know they don't have it at Whole Foods. Where do you get it? assuming we have same store near here...
    Last edited by RubyDuby; Sep 24th, 2005 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Rubiness
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Default Re: Cheese substitute- very good

Many Asian food stores carry dry tofu. It is called Chinese Dry Yellow Tofu, and comes in vacuumed plastic, or you could probably use smoked tofu, because it tends to be very firm. The texture you want is solid and dry or even rubbery (like the smoked stuff). I'll bet that White Wave extra firm would work... you will just have to be more gentle when you grate it.