Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe Collection

Default The Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe Collection

I loooooved carrot cake before I became vegan (nearly 6 years ago). Lately I`ve been longing for a piece of carrot cake so badly that I`ve being obsessed with it, and yesterday I saw the latest Satya Magazine with a beautiful picture of a slice of carrot cake on the front page. But to my disappoinment no recipe followed. So can anyone save me?
    Last edited by Korn; Dec 29th, 2005 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Thread renamed

Default carrot cake

this is from the 'meals without squeals' cookbook.
    even the carnies love it!!

160z wholemeal flour
    2 tsp mixed spice
    2 tsp baking powder
    8oz finely grated carrot
    pinch salt
    8o fl oz sunflower oil
    8 fl oz apple or orange juice
    12oz brown sugar
    finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange

oven at gas 2/150C/300F. grease and line a square baking tin

mix all ingredients and beat together.
    pour into tin and bake for approx 45mins. cover if getting too brown too early.
    cool in tin and cut up.

i made a vegan 'butter' icing for the top with marge, vanilla essence, icing sugar and a dollop of tofutti plain 'cream cheese'.

Default Re: Carrot cake anyone?

Carrot cake is yummy but grating the carrot for ir can be a bit boring though hehehe :0)

I just made a date and walnut cake and it is moist and scrummy :0) It took ages to cook as I doubled the ingrediants and I wasn't sure how long the aga would take, as agas are new to me in last few months!! but its turned out groovy :0) Ages since I made this cake and it's just to scrum for words hehehe!!

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Default Re: carrot cake

Ohhhhhhhhhh wow. I want some now.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

crazy, i was out buying some carrots for a carrot cake when you made your post

I'm adapting one of my current recipes for mine thou, i have a good sponge recipe that I'm hoping to carrotize. I also picked up one of these today:

(http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pro...-815&killnav=1) so i can start making posh looking cakes
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Thank you Cedarblue I`ll go for it. Mixed spice, what is it?
    Your cake sounds Yummy to Stormy is there a recipe? I`m in mood for cakes.

mixed spice is sold in most supermarkets in the spice/dried herb sections.

its a pre-made mix of cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, clove and ginger.

Quote Marie
    Thank you Cedarblue I`ll go for it. Mixed spice, what is it?
    Your cake sounds Yummy to Stormy is there a recipe? I`m in mood for cakes.
    Well, here it is Marie :0) You can substitute things like making sure the sugar is vegan etc... but this is the basis of it :0) WHOOPS!!! half the cake has gone already hehehe!!!

Date and Walnut Cake

300g (11oz) Self Raising Flour
    300ml (10 floz) soya Milk
    150g (5oz) Dates, chopped
    110g (4oz) Dark Muscovado Sugar
    50g (2oz) Walnuts, chopped
    4 tbsp Sunflower Oil
    2 tsp Ground Mixed Spice
    Walnut halves - to decorate

Pre-heat oven to 180°C: 350°F: Gas 4.
    Grease and line a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin with marged greaseproof paper.
    Sift the flour and spice together into a bowl.
    Add the dates and walnuts and mix.
    Add the soya milk, muscovado sugar and oil, stir thoroughly.
    Spoon the mixture into the tin and place the walnut halves on top.
    Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
    Turn out on to a wire rack to cool, after having removed the lining paper.

Hope you enjoy it when you make it, I doubled it and put it in a cake tin instead, to make a huge cake as I have a hungry family <grin>

Love and light
    Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Quote Stormypagan
    Carrot cake is yummy but grating the carrot for ir can be a bit boring though hehehe :0)

Could you use the excess pulp that comes off as a by-prduct from juicing do you think? I'm always wondering what to do with that stuff, seems such a waste to throw it away!

I'm thinking of getting a breadmaker and adding various pulp to loaves to see what it tastes like too

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Purity
    Could you use the excess pulp that comes off as a by-prduct from juicing do you think? I'm always wondering what to do with that stuff, seems such a waste to throw it away!

I'm thinking of getting a breadmaker and adding various pulp to loaves to see what it tastes like too
    Yes you can! I have had good results using carrot, zucchini, ginger and apple this way (veg remains such as celery, carrots, zucchini, beets, kale etc. can be used in a savory 'neatloaf').

Default Re: The Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe Collection

I just finished a screaming carrot carrot cake and it was devine. It was so moist and creamy it was utterly dreamy... Ahhhhhhhhh.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

I made this carrot cake not so long ago.. It's the best vegan cake I've ever made...!!!

Carrot Cake

Ingredients:

2-1/4 cups all purpose flour
    2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon allspice
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ to 3/4 cup brown sugar
    ½ to 3/4 cup regular sugar
    3 egg equivalent in Ener-G egg replacer
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    ½ cup vegetable oil
    2 cups finely grated carrots
    1 can (about 14 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
    1 cup shredded coconut
    nuts and raisins optional

Directions:

Note: if you don't have Ener-G egg replacer, use some mashed banana, conserve some of the oil and add some extra baking soda.

Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, spice, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, mix sugar and eggs until creamy (works best with an electric mixer) - add vanilla, then add vegetable oil. Mix wet and dry ingredients together and add carrots, pineapple, and coconut.

I prefer a thicker cake, so I used a 9x9 glass pan. But if you prefer thinner cake with more servings, use a 13x9. Grease pan. Smooth batter into pan. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to let the cake adequately cool before frosting.

Frost it with the frosting of your liking

Enjoy
    Personalized from a VegWeb recipe.

//kasper

this is my own recipe:

Ingredients:

1.5 c. flour = 188g
    10 ml cinnamon
    1 ml ground cloves
    2 ml nutmeg
    1 ml ginger
    some grated orange peel
    2 tsp. baking powder
    200 g brown sugar
    0.5 tsp. salt
    6 tbsp. canola oil
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    1 tsp. vanilla essence
    2 tbsp margarine
    1 c. cold water = 250ml
    335 ml grated carrots
    35 g chopped walnuts

Glaze:

3 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons water
    &#188; teaspoon lemon juice

How to Prepare:

1. preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
    2. put flour, orange peel, spices, baking powder, sugar & salt in bowl and mix
    3. make 3 holes in the dry mix, and in one hole pour oil, then in other vinegar, then vanilla in other, and add margarine
    4. pour part of the water over, then mix and repeat until dough has the right consistency. You might not need all the water
    5. fold in the carrots and walnuts
    6. pour in greased cake pan and bake at 180 for about 30 min. or so
    7. Heat the sugar and water together for the glaze in a small saucepan. Boil 1 minute, remove from the heat, and add the lemon juice. While the cake is hot, brush it all over with the sugar glaze.

if u want icing i suppose u can use vegan cream cheese with icing sugar, or ground cashews/almonds with icing sugar and a little bit of lemon juice, but i always do it without the icing. that's why i put the glaze on, but i suppose that isn't essential either.

if you like your cake to be sweeter, increase the amount of sugar...i've noticed there's quite a difference between the american and the european tastebuds
    Piggy

has anyone found a good 'creamcheese' style frosting for carrot cake? the one i tried out wound up runny. tasty, but runny.

there's this bakery in santa cruz who do an awewome vegan carrotcake. they do this gorgeous thick frosting. mmm... my mouth waters just thinking about it.
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

I think it's possible to make your own cheesecake frosting...

You can use vegan cream cheese (like Tofutti), vegan sour cream (Tofutti makes this too) if you'd like, and some kind of sugar or sweetener. You can also add other stuff to taste: cinnamon, nutmeg, and so on.

If you want a thicker frosting, use more of the cream cheese (or entirely cream cheese, and no sour cream). If you want it lighter, use more sour cream.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Seaside

Quote moonshadow
    there's this bakery in santa cruz who do an awewome vegan carrotcake. they do this gorgeous thick frosting. mmm... my mouth waters just thinking about it.
    Oh yes. The Black China Bakery! Only 45 minutes from where I live. They make good vegan German Chocolate cake too. And vegan scones that omnis like better than standard ones!

FR

I love carrot cake, but it's mandatory that it has walnuts and an orange/vegan cream cheese frosting. I can't stand when it's made with pinneapple. Don't get me wrong, pinneaple is good, but it's GROSS in carrot cake (or any cake for that matter). Also, it's mandatory that cakes should be two or more layers or be bundt cakes. Single layer cakes suck.

Quote Seaside
    Oh yes. The Black China Bakery! Only 45 minutes from where I live. They make good vegan German Chocolate cake too. And vegan scones that omnis like better than standard ones!

how very exciting, i've been looking into santa cruz for transfering!!
    Peace Love Surf.

yup, black china

they did our wedding cake!!
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Quote FR
    I can't stand when it's made with pinneapple

?????? never heard of that one!

Seaside

Quote moonshadow
    yup, black china

they did our wedding cake!!
    Small world! I had their Vegan Vanilla Bean cake for my birthday last month. Yum!

Seaside

Quote moochbabe
    how very exciting, i've been looking into santa cruz for transfering!!
    Santa Cruz is a very laid-back, vegan and animal-friendly place, moochbabe.

Quote Mr Flibble
    crazy, i was out buying some carrots for a carrot cake when you made your post

I'm adapting one of my current recipes for mine thou, i have a good sponge recipe that I'm hoping to carrotize. I also picked up one of these today:

(http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pro...-815&killnav=1) so i can start making posh looking cakes
    What is that?
    ▼Laurin▼

Seaside

That's a cake slicer, laurin. Its a nice tool to have to make a nice, even slice.

I'm lucky that a local shop sells vegan carrot cake but it's 4.50 for a small slice (sliver!), so I don't buy it often.

I got these recipes from Cake: Vegan cake of course by Sue Belfitt. I have made the first (unhealthy) version several times and it is to die for. Everyone steals it. I haven't made the second, healthy version but I will.

Pecan Carrot Cake

125g vegan margarine
    1 tsp vanilla
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoon maple syrup
    2 cups grated carrot
    1 cup sultanas
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1.5 cups self-raising flour (or normal flour and baking powder)
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon cinammon.

Beat the vegan margarine, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy (electric mixer works best). Beat in maple syrup. Stir in carrot, sultanas and pecans. Stir in the flour and spices and mix until thoroughly combined. This is a firm, not too sloppy, mix. Place mixture in and oiled loaf tin, smoothing off if necessary with the back of a wet spoon. Bake in a 190C oven until cooked. Check after 45 minutes. This cake may take up to 1 1/4 hours to cook.

Lemon (or other citrus) Soy Cream Cheese icing

1 tub vegan cream cheese
    3 tablespoons icing sugar
    3 tsp finely grated citrus peel (lime or mandarin are good)
    2 Tablespoons of soya milk or citrus juice.

Let the cream cheese sit at room temperature for a time before you begin. Then beat all ingredients together to form required consistencey (you may have to add more icing sugar). It will set after a time but don't make it too runny.

Here's a healthy version.

Carrot and Cashew Cake

1.5 cups of brown rice flour and ground oats (thing that means 50/50 but not sure).
    1/2 Cup arrowroot
    1/2 cup chopped cashews
    2 cups grated carrot
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 teasp vanilla
    1 cup fruit juice
    1/3 cup tahini

Mix flour, arrowroot and cinnamon in a bowl. Combine cashews and carrots and stir this into the flour mixture along with the vanilla, fruit juice and tahini. Should be a moist, stiff consistency.

Spoon into an oiled loaf tin and bake in a 175 C overn for 45 minutes. Turn out after cooling for 5 minutes then cover with a clean teatowel.

Cashew Cream

Soak 1/2 cup of cashews in 1.5 cups of water for a couple of hours and then blend until you have a smooth cream. Add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or rice malt if you have a sweet tooth. Add more water if too thick or more nuts if too thin. You can use other nuts to do this. Macadamias and pecans are good.

This recipe from randomgirl.com is my favorite. Although I'm going to have to try some of the above- they all sound great! (The frosting is a bit too sweet for my taste so I add more of the cream cheese).

FR, I totally agree about the pineapple.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote ScandinaVegan View Post

3 egg equivalent in Ener-G egg replacer

I've used ener-g egg replacer and it made my muffins taste like baking soda...it was quite gross. So I'm assuming now that I must of screwed up on the baking powder and soda because if your cake turned out good then why wouldn't my muffins. So yeah I guess I screwed up!
    ▼Laurin▼

mmm thanks for refreshing this thread ef!

eating through a dundee cake this week, carrot cake without nuts (child with allergy) will be next. i like the sound of insubordination's citrus frosting.

I lost the original, so here is my reconstruction. I like this because it is very carroty as the flavor is drawn out into the sugar. Also the moisture is drawn out of the carrots and makes them chewy even in the cake. Lower fat as well.

300g grated carrot
    150g brown sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp each nutmeg cinnamon
    1/8 tsp each white pepper clove
    juice from 1/2 piece of ginger or 1/2 tsp dry

In a sauce pan heat to bubbling and sugar all melts. let cool (O/N okay too). Add 50g oil, 2 Tbsp OJ or tamarind liquid or a wee bit of lemon juice, 100g raisins and (opt) 100 g nuts.

200 g flour (wholemeal opt)
    1/2 tsp soda
    2 tsp baking powder

Mix dry together thoroughly and add into moist mixture only enough for a thick spongy batter but not stiff.

Makes 2 sm loaves (160c 30 min) or muffins (200c 10-12min) or cake (180 20min) Bake times/temp approx. Made need to cover in convection ovens.
    Microwaves well too.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I got this recipe from the Guardian a couple of years ago, and my family all like it, vegan and omni.

Carrot Cake

For the cake
    225g grated carrot
    125g raisins
    6 tablespoons olive oil
    125g soft brown sugar
    225g wholemeal flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
    8 tablespoons maple syrup
    4 tablespoons orange juice (if you use freshly squeezed, can put rind of the orange in the cake)
    Add nuts such as almond or walnut to taste

For the icing
    175g icing sugar
    Juice and rind of one lemon

Preheat oven to GM3

Line 18cm cake tin with non stick paper

Mix carrots, raisins oil and sugar in a bowl

Then add flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, maple syrup and orange juice
    Add nuts if using

Stir until everything is combined (a sticky lump)

Spoon into prepared tin and level the top

Bake for 1 and ¼ hours until skewer comes clean

Leave to cool in the tin, then put on the plate on which it will be served

Mix the icing sugar and lemon rind with enough of the juice (6 to 8 teaspoons) to make a thick coating consistency. Spread over the top of the cake and leave to set.

Hope you like it!!

Ooops sorry about the formatting.
    I just copied and pasted it from word, where I had it stored, as people sometimes ask me for the recipe.

This is the carrot cake recipe I use from The Cake Scoffer by Ronny:

This cake is guaranteed to please. It's packed with moist and satisfying flavour.
    Don't fret if it does not rise too much, it prefers not to.

3 smallish carrots, grated (approx. 8oz worth)
    6oz dried fruits, (preferably sultanas and raisins)
    6oz SR white flour and 4oz SR wholemeal flour
    6oz sugar (preferably golden brown)
    1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp ginger

6floz vegetable oil
    7 floz water*
    pinch of salt and a dash of vinegar**
    egg repacer equivalent to 2 eggs, or 5tbsp oil***
    1/2 tsp vanilla essence

1.) Stir all the dry ingredients together and then mix the wet ones in.
    2.) Bake at gas mark 5 (190 C) for 45 mins, then reduce oven to gas mark 3 and cook for another 30 mins. Cool in tin.
    3.) Ice with lemon icing (ie. icing made with lemon juice, not water) or invent your own vegan cream cheese topping with vegan 'cream cheese'.

Alternatively, mix tofu, lemon juice and icing sugar for a fluffy topping.

* I use soya milk
    ** I don't use either
    *** I use oil
    I add 2 tsp of baking powder to help it to rise more
    Last edited by green woman; Nov 20th, 2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added a bit

Quote green woman View Post

Quote laurin View Post
    What is that?
    It's officially the worst kitchen gadget ever. I completely forgot I had it until I read this thread again.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote:
    Originally Posted by green woman

Quote Cherry View Post
    I add 2 tsp of baking powder to the recipe to prevent it being a carrot pancake

Quote Purity View Post
    That's a great idea, when I want to make a carrot cake I will do a juice first and save the carrot pulp!

Quote cedarblue View Post
    this is from the 'meals without squeals' cookbook.
    even the carnies love it!!

160z wholemeal flour
    2 tsp mixed spice
    2 tsp baking powder
    8oz finely grated carrot
    pinch salt
    8o fl oz sunflower oil
    8 fl oz apple or orange juice
    12oz brown sugar
    finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange

oven at gas 2/150C/300F. grease and line a square baking tin

mix all ingredients and beat together.
    pour into tin and bake for approx 45mins. cover if getting too brown too early.
    cool in tin and cut up.

i made a vegan 'butter' icing for the top with marge, vanilla essence, icing sugar and a dollop of tofutti plain 'cream cheese'.
    This sounds good, I will have to convert the measurements though!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Quote insubordination View Post
    Cashew Cream
    Soak 1/2 cup cashews in 1.5 cups of water for a couple of hours and then blend until you have a smooth cream. Add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or rice malt if you have a sweet tooth. Add more water if too thick or more nuts if too thin. You can use other nuts to do this. Macadamias and pecans are good.
    Yum!

[quote=moonshadow;186090]has anyone found a good 'creamcheese' style frosting for carrot cake? the one i tried out wound up runny. tasty, but runny.

for the top i mix a tub of tofutti crem cheese and loads of icing sugar

omg, i make the best carrot cake in the world lol I haven't made it in over a year after my boyfriend had to leave to Israel But I plan to make it when he comes again
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

hedge

WOAH!
    So many Carrot Cake recipes I don't know which one to make now!!
    Guess I'll have to make them all!!

I need to make a carrot cake for my boyfriend's birthday. It needs to be easy because I have never made one before and no raisins, currants or sultanas because he is fussy. Which recipe would you recommend?

what about cupcakes? there's a recipe for one in vegan cupcakes take over the world. I made them last weekend - the recipe says to squirt the cupcake cases with oil spray and I thought can't be bothered and they stuck to the cases. they tasted good tho - I used the lemon icing on the top.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Thats a good idea, I might give them a go

Ingredients

Cream Cheese Frosting

Directions

1. 1

Grease and flour a 10" X 9" or square cake pan.
    2. 2

Stir together dry ingredients.
    3. 3

Mix in the carrots, egg subs, oil, apple sauce, and vanilla.
    4. 4

Beat about 2-3 minutes , until well mixed.
    5. 5

Stir in the nuts, if used.
    6. 6

Bake at 325 F for about 40-50 minutes , or until a toothpick comes out clean.
    7. 7

Cool on a wire rack.
    8. 8

Once the BTCC is at room temperature, mix all ingredients together. Frost cake.

THIS, is the easiest, best tasting carrot cake ever! Especially meant for picky boyfriends

I've done it about 4 times in my life and it's come out perfect each time.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

Quote vava View Post
    what about cupcakes? there's a recipe for one in vegan cupcakes take over the world. I made them last weekend - the recipe says to squirt the cupcake cases with oil spray and I thought can't be bothered and they stuck to the cases. they tasted good tho - I used the lemon icing on the top.
    The recipe is wrong too, not enough flour. But I didn't know that and made them according to the recipe and still thought they were yummy but a bit flat! I didn't spray the paper either and they came out ok My new fave cupcake!

Quote Linxie View Post
    I need to make a carrot cake for my boyfriend's birthday. It needs to be easy because I have never made one before and no raisins, currants or sultanas because he is fussy. Which recipe would you recommend?
    The Ginger Macadamia Coconut Carrot Cake in Vegan with a Vengeance is very, very good!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Guate_Vegan View Post
    Ingredients

Will any egg replacer work the same? Can't remember the make I have but it is not Ener-G.

Thanks for the recipe :smile:

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    The Ginger Macadamia Coconut Carrot Cake in Vegan with a Vengeance is very, very good!
    Sounds great but I can imagine my boyfriend won't like ginger, coconut or macadamia nuts. He really is the most fussy and frustrating person

wow, I'm in heaven! I love carrot cake!

Just made my first carrot cake. It looks good, if a little flat. Didn't rise very much. But hey it tastes good! Tried to post a picture but I couldn't get it to work