Thread: Vegan lasagna

Default Vegan lasagna

It would be a shame if I didn't share this with the world.

Utopian Lasagna

Serves 8

Sauce:
    I used ready-made, 25.5 ounces, chunky tomato & herb, Muir Glen (organic of course)

Cheese sauce (from www.randomgirl.com):
    1/2 stick of vegan margarine (Earth Balance)
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 3/4 cups boiling water
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    pinch of tumeric
    1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
    salt and pepper to taste
    pinch of paprika
    Melt the margarine in a medium frying pan over low heat. Beat in the flour with a whisk over medium heat until the mixture is smooth and bubbly, the whisk in the boiling water, salt, sot sauce, garlic and onion powders, and tumeric. Cook the sauce until it thickens and bubbles, then whip in the yeast. Add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.

Noodles:
    Lasagna noodles, 10 oz., preferably organic, whole-wheat (because, ya know, flour has protein and we're all deficient [cross-eyed look])
    Cook according to directions.

My lasagna masterpiece: The vegetable mixture!
    3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 large onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 c. diced carrots (small dice but not grated)
    1 1/2 c. diced zucchini (same as carrots)
    2 large chopped tomatoes
    8 oz. spinach (either frozen or fresh)
    1 T. dried parsley
    2 tsp. dried basil
    1 tsp. dried thyme
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 T. tamari

In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat, saute the onions for about 5 min. Add garlic and saute for 2 more min. Add carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, and spinach, and cook, uncovered, on medium for about 15 min. Add spices and cook for 10 more min., until vegetables are becoming tender but not completely cooked. Remove from heat. Do NOT overcook; the vegetables will cook more and absorb the spices in the oven!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Assembly (tools required)

Oil a 13 x 9-inch pan with 1 T. olive oil, oiling the sides as well. Preheat the oven to 350 F. at the appropriate time (in other words, don't leave the oven on for 30 min. while the veggies are cooking.) Cook the vegetables first. When the vegetables have approximately 10 min. remaining, cook the noodles (egg-free for vegan, available dried) and cheese sauce. When the noodles are cooked, rinse in cool water.

Spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan. Add 1/3 to 1/2 of the lasagna noodles. Top with the vegetable mixture (all). Mix about 1/2 c. of the tomato sauce with the cheese sauce, and top the vegetables with the mixture. Add the rest of the lasagna noodles, topping the noodles with the remaining sauce. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and bake for 30 more min. Cool for 30 min. (with or without foil on top - watch out for pets who like carrots) prior to serving.

Enjoy!!
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Default Re: Utopian Lasagna

Thanks Artichoke. It looks like a gigantic recipe - so I'll have to set aside a day when I've got plenty of spare time, to give this one a go!

Default Re: Utopian Lasagna

i just printed it out. can't wait to ty it

thanks

Default Delicious Lasagne (will trick omnis!)

I made this lasagne for Christmas eve when a bunch of relatives came over. Everyone said it was delicious and said that if I hadn't told them, they wouldn't even have noticed it was vegan. It's a recipe i made up myself. I don't go by exact measurements, so I wrote it in estimates. But I really suggest trying this, because it's extremely simple to make and it's SO delicious and filling- for vegans and omnis alike.

VEGAN LASAGNE!!

Ingredients
    box of lasagne noodles
    package of soy "ground beef"
    jar of marinara sauce
    can of chopped tomatoes
    package of tofu
    olive oil
    vinegar
    salt
    garlic powder
    basil
    vegan parmesan (optional)

- Boil and drain the noodles.
    - To make the "cheese": In a large bowl, mix the tofu, about ½ cup of olive oil, a few spoonfuls of vinegar, and some pinches of salt. Chop/mush it until it is the consistency of chunky ricotta cheese. Add a LOT of basil (the green makes the lasagne colorful)
    - Layer the lasagne in a pan, using this pattern:
    noodles
    marinara sauce
    chopped tomatoes
    "cheese"
    "ground beef"
    sprinkles garlic powder, parmesan, and basil as desired
    repeat this pattern to the top of the pan.

Bake at 400 F for about an hour or until it looks done.

Thumbs up Vegan Lasagna

I found this recipe yesterday and made it last night. It was SO GOOD! The cheese sauce is amazing and the vegan ricotta was so good.

http://www.organicfoodcorner.com/res...gna-recipe.php
    "Take the path of least harm"

Default Re: Vegan Lasagna

if you ever come out to Winston-Salem - the Whole Foods here has vegan lasagna in the prepared food section fairly regularly and its amazing as well! kudos to you on preparing your own - I dont have the patience to cook haha
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Sounds yummy, thanks.

PS: This site is neat too.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I would love to make lasagna and have a question about the recipe's ingredients: Is there any difference between using yeast flakes and yeast powder?

Vegan Traveler

Quote Bic View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I would love to make lasagna and have a question about the recipe's ingredients: Is there any difference between using yeast flakes and yeast powder?
    As long as it's 'Nutritional' yeast powder, it will work, but you will want to cut it down to about 3/4 to one... No other kind of yeast will work!
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

Alright, I'll write that in as a note when I make this dish. Thanks!

Does it really need to cook for 90 minutes? That seems like a VERY long time, it's not like it is frozen...when I make lasagna, I usually bake it for 30 minutes. Infact, I can't think of anything that needs to be in for that long...

Shelia or Bic? Did you really leave it in that long?

Yes, I left it in for 90 minutes. It turned out great that way. I think if I had done only 30 the heat wouldn't be very even (ie. the middle would be cold).

OK - Thanks Bic!

FYI. I've found that a bechamel made with Quinoa milk, conflour and olive oil makes a great alternative to the cheese sauce. Or part Quinoa part Soy milk. I then put a good dribble of olive oil on the top of the lasagne at the end with some herbs and you end up with a nice brown crispy top. It's much simpler and probably less rich than the cashew/yeast one given above.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

the best lasagne i've EVER had was made from this recipe:
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03...e-lasagna.html
    i fed my meat-eating family with it and they demolished the lot. seriously, it's good! i tried it once using fresh spinach, but the frozen does seem to work better as you can process it in with the 'ricotta' mix.
    there are also loads more brill recipes on that site.

When I make lasagna, I tend to avoid the cheeses altogether (my budget either won't let me get it or the ones I try I end up not liking). I just take marinara and the lasagna noodles and layer them with spinach, tomatos, onions, mushrooms, mock meat, garlic and zucchini if I have it around. I've usually been very happy with this combination.

I also boil the noodles before using them in the assembly, so the overall baking time takes something to the tune of a half hour.

I made lasagna last Sunday! It's filled with a tasty tomato sauce and a tofu-basil filling. I put some nutritional yeast in it, but not very much. I sprinkled some on top too.

This looks so yummy! Can you post the recipe??

Woops- nevermind. Just discovered the link up top

Question Help with lasagna recipe??

I recently found a lasagna recipe online (http://www.organicfoodcorner.com/res...gna-recipe.php) and I have a question about one of the ingredients...

One of the ingredients for the cheese sauce is nutritional yeast flakes. That's not the problem. I know what that is.

The problem comes up in the ricotta recipe. One of the ingredients listed is yeast flakes.

My question is this: Is it just implied that the "yeast flakes" listed here are also the cheese-like nutritional yeast flakes or should I use plain yeast?

Default Re: Help with lasagna recipe??

Yes, you would use the nutritional yeast flakes.

Ney, I want to make a lasagna exactly like yours! it looks SOO good! where is the link to your recipe?

Last night I made my first vegan lasagna, and both me and my (omni) boyfriend were mighty impressed! It was all a bit improvised, but there was a bottom layer of 'bolognese' with veggie mince, onion, garlic & tomatoes. Then I layered some roast tomatoes & red peppers. Then a layer of lasagna sheets, and then I used the Vegan Yum Yum alfredo sauce recipe for the cheese sauce, and layered some griddled aubergine & courgettes on top of that. More lasagna sheets, then more bolognese and cheese sauce, and a breadcrumb/nutritional yeast topping.

It was absolutely wonderful and devoured by my boyfriend who'd previously set me the vegan lasagna challenge! I'd highly recommend the VYY alfredo sauce as a cheese sauce substitute - on its own I find it a bit too rich, but in with the lasagna it was perfect
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

That sounds... nourishing I haven't made lasagne for ages, must give it a go.

Am not too keen on veggie mince but I guess the usual lentil mixture would do instead?

Quote harpy View Post
    Am not too keen on veggie mince but I guess the usual lentil mixture would do instead?
    Absolutely! Infact I usually throw quite a few green lentils in there as well but didn't have any to hand. Was rather proud of myself though
    Last edited by fooldramaqueen; Feb 12th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

Unhappy Desperately seeking fancy lasagna sheets!

Hello UK folks,

I am planning to make this recipe from Vegan Yum Yum in a week or so: Eggplant and Pine Nut Rolled Lasagna. I've searched and searched and can't find anything resembling these lasagna sheets (suitable for rolling) anywhere! I've looked in the supermarkets and some online delis (including "justsoitalian.co.uk") and am at a bit of a loss now....

I hope these aren't an exclusively American product :/

If anyone has any suggestions I would be really grateful. This is going to be a meal designed to impress an omnivore (potentially my future mother in law no less!) so I really want to get it right!

Thanks

Jenny.

Default Re: Desperately seeking fancy lasagna sheets!

I'm inclined to say you could use any lasagne sheets (although be careful - most use egg).

Any lasagne sheets, when boiled for a few minutes, will go soft, and thus be suitable for rolling. Another possibility would be cannelloni tubes; again once they've boiled for a few minutes they'll be soft, then you can whip them out and cut them open.

Good luck!

That recipe appears to just use standard lasagne sheets (cooked till al dente), which are widely available in the UK. Her's are a bit longer and have crinkly edges, but other than that they don't look special.

Waitrose sell durum wheat crinkly lasagne sheets if you're that way inclined (though the whole sheet is crinkly not just the edges).

If you want length then why not make your own sheets from pasta dough? Bit more work involved mind you.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I thought those were pretty standard (with crinkly edges) but maybe I've just never noticed that that they don't do crinkly edges in the UK as I haven't made that much lasagna since moving here. I usually buy the Waitrose ones that are crinkly all over.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely check out Waitrose - and will have some cannelloni in reserve just in case

I'm not quite up for making my own pasta just yet (maybe when I have a bigger kitchen ) but I was admiring the pasta makers online yesterday when I was searching....

And Mr Flibble, you're right about those in the recipe just being a bit longer/narrower/fancier than standard lasagna sheets - but I'd quite like to impress as much as possible with this dinner so the fancier the better

Don't worry about the frilly edges - the recipe sounds amazing and they will love it whatever... con o senza the frills!

Perhaps you could garnish with toasted pine nuts or some fresh herbs such as oregano or basil. You're gonna rock the house girl!!!

Great ideas, thanks Fiamma! Especially on the pine nuts (I <3 them so much...)

Trying to impress my omnivorous boyfriend's omnivorous Mother is a daunting enough task - she's already kindly cooked loads of vegan meals for me, so I really want to get this right!

There'll be a test run for sure, anyway

A test run????? I shall be round at eight sharp!!!

Quote fiamma View Post
    A test run????? I shall be round at eight sharp!!!
    Haha, well, I'll get the garlic bread ready too then

Good luck fdq Hope the dinner (and test run, if Fiamma's going to turn up!) go really well

I shouldn't worry too much, fooldramaqueen, I've lost count of the culinary disasters I have inflicted on my poor mother-in-law and I've been married for...quite a while.

Thanks again everyone - my boyfriend has been despatched to Waitrose today in search of the elusive frilly lasagna sheets, so I am hopeful

I just wanted to say another thanks for all the advice - the dinner was a big success and the rolled lasagna was lovely, I'd highly recommend it! It's a good dinner for a few people because you can prepare it all in advance, and just cover with tomato sauce and stick in the oven when you're ready.

We had it with garlic bread and a rocket/tomato salad. Think I impressed the potential future mother in law

Excellent! Will have to give the recipe a go in that case, not that I want to attract any more mothers-in-law

I love those crinkly lasagne sheets! I had boring straight edged lasagne for lunch today

Aww I'm so pleased it went well! Nice one !

Quote fooldramaqueen View Post
    Thanks again everyone - my boyfriend has been despatched to Waitrose today in search of the elusive frilly lasagna sheets, so I am hopeful
    In my local waitrose these seem to now be egg pasta
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock