Thread: The Vegan Society defeats Nestle

Arrow The Vegan Society defeats Nestle

Misleading Nestle health ad aggrieves vegans

www.brandrepublic.com , by Daniel Farey-Jones, 28 Sep 2005

LONDON – Nestle has come off the worse in a brush with vegans, who took it to task for claiming that dairy products were "essential for healthy bones" in an ad featuring its Sveltesse Optimise dairy drink.

The Vegan Society and a member of the public complained to the Advertising Standards Authority about the claim made in an advertorial on AOL's website.

The claim was made in an article titled "Mastering Your Metabolism Part 3: Eat Well, Feel Great".

The ad watchdog agreed with the complainants that the advertorial misleadingly implied that dairy products were the only source of calcium, and advised Nestle to amend the claim.

Nestle had told the Advertising Standards Authority that it had not intended to suggest that dairy products were the only source of calcium. It argued that dairy products were regarded as the primary source of calcium by the public and nutritionists.

Geoff

Default Re: Misleading Nestle health ad aggrieves vegans

Nestles have been misleading people for many years. See: http://www.babymilkaction.org/

Default The Vegan Society defeats Nestle

Read all about is at:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/

Default Re: The Vegan Society defeats Nestle

That's cool, wonder what penalties (if any) Nestle will have to pay? Couldn't see what the punishment might be for that kind of thing from the article.

The vegan society rocks, Nestle sooooooooooooo had it coming.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

FR

Nice... Very nice!

cool
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Kevster

Quote gertvegan
    Nestle had told the Advertising Standards Authority that it had not intended to suggest that dairy products were the only source of calcium. It argued that dairy products were regarded as the primary source of calcium by the public and nutritionists.
    Riigggghhhhhhhhhhhtttt yes i'm sure that's what they meant too.

Unless someone challenges these companies they get away with murder.

Kevster

Apparently it also made it into the guardian:

'Vegans force Nestlé climbdown
    Stephen Brook, advertising correspondent
    September 28 2005

The Vegan Society has forced Nestlé into a public climbdown over claims the company made about the role of calcium in a healthy diet.'

Couldn't get access to the story tho.

You've got to register to read the whole article. For some reason I have

Vegans force Nestlé climbdown

Stephen Brook, advertising correspondent
    Wednesday September 28, 2005

MediaGuardian.co.uk
    The Vegan Society has forced Nestlé into a public climbdown over claims the company made about the role of calcium in a healthy diet.

The Advertising Standards Authority ruled that the Nestlé advertorial was misleading because it claimed that dairy products were "essential for healthy bones".

Nestlé said it had removed the advertorial for its Sveltesse yogurt drink on the AOL website after the ASA upheld a complaint from the society.

"The use of the word 'essential' implied dairy products were the only source of calcium," the ASA said in its ruling.

"Because that was not correct, we concluded that the advertorial was likely to mislead."

The Vegan Society said claims that dairy products were essential for calcium was "likely to distress and mislead" those who did not consume dairy products for ethical reasons.

"This is a real example of David triumphing over the might of Goliath," said the Vegan Society chairman, Alex Bourke.

"Nestlé used a misleading claim to promote a product when there is absolutely no evidence that dairy products are essential and we are delighted that the ASA council agrees."

The advertorial was aimed at women and entitled "Mastering Your metabolism part 3: eat well, feel great". One paragraph was headed "Dairy products" and stated "Essential for healthy bones..."

Nestlé said dairy products were commonly regarded as a primary source of calcium.

"We used the term 'essential' to highlight the importance dairy products contribute to calcium intake and healthy bones," a Nestlé spokeswoman said.

"Nestlé recognises that there are other sources of calcium and we did not intend to suggest that dairy products were the only source of calcium.

"Increasing numbers of people are adopting a vegan lifestyle - including celebrities such as Bryan Adams, Steve Jobs, Moby, Benjamin Zephaniah and many others - out of concern for their own health and that of people in the developing world, the plight of the animals and the destruction of the environment we all share."

The Vegan Society said green leafy vegetables, tofu, seeds, nuts and fortified soya milk were perfectly adequate sources of calcium.

· To contact the MediaGuardian newsdesk email editor@mediaguardian.co.uk or phone 020 7239 9857

· If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly "for publication".
    please grant me the senility to forget about people I never liked anyway

Kevster

That must be where all the good stuff is, off limits to me.

Quote twinkle
    That's cool, wonder what penalties (if any) Nestle will have to pay? Couldn't see what the punishment might be for that kind of thing from the article.
    they probably won't be given any penalty, basically all the ASA can do is tell them not to publish that advert anymore. still, good news anyway.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

cross barer

Well I think they're right. I haven't had dairy since May last year and my bones started to get unhealthy, suffering from colds and flu and now they just break for no reason. If only I had a milky bar to save me!!!

Pilaf

Quote adam antichrist
    Well I think they're right. I haven't had dairy since May last year and my bones started to get unhealthy, suffering from colds and flu and now they just break for no reason. If only I had a milky bar to save me!!!

Hahaha...perfect. Nice one.

It's funny how my family tells people how sickly I am since going vegan, and I haven't been sick once since converting, and my bones feel as strong as ever. It's like some people are determined to see vegans as sickly.

So I say "Go Vegan Community!" for this victory.

Quote Pilaf
    Hahaha...perfect. Nice one.

It's funny how my family tells people how sickly I am since going vegan, and I haven't been sick once since converting, and my bones feel as strong as ever. It's like some people are determined to see vegans as sickly.

So I say "Go Vegan Community!" for this victory.
    I agree, when are the rest of the population going to realise that dairy was meant solely for calves and kids (goats that is).
    "being normal denotes rather a lack of courage"

I hate Nestle. Has anyone else noticed they don't even label their stuff "suitable for vegetarians" or maybe none of it is.