Thread: vegan attitude to Australia's 'feral animals'

Question vegan attitude to Australia's 'feral animals'

In today's 'Chronicle' where I live in Qld, there's a 'News Extra' saying that the fed govt will be asked to create a national body to supervise the eradication of Australia's feral animals.

The Hse of Reps ag committee has received over 100 submissions on how to deal. Alby Schultz chairs the committee, and he said that the focus should be on eliminating exotic animals rather than just controlling them. The exotics he refers to are rabbits, pigs, mice, and many more. There's a photo of two proud killers exhibiting their prize-winning 93.5kg boars shot during a pig cull.

What is the vegan view of this issue? The same applies to the carp that is looked upon as a menace because, like the other creatures, they were introduced by Europeans, and are now out of control.
    Eve

Default Re: vegan attitude to Australia's 'feral animals'

Quote eve
    In today's 'Chronicle' where I live in Qld, there's a 'News Extra' saying that the fed govt will be asked to create a national body to supervise the eradication of Australia's feral animals.

The Hse of Reps ag committee has received over 100 submissions on how to deal. Alby Schultz chairs the committee, and he said that the focus should be on eliminating exotic animals rather than just controlling them. The exotics he refers to are rabbits, pigs, mice, and many more. There's a photo of two proud killers exhibiting their prize-winning 93.5kg boars shot during a pig cull.

What is the vegan view of this issue? The same applies to the carp that is looked upon as a menace because, like the other creatures, they were introduced by Europeans, and are now out of control.
    There seems to be two motivation beind the culling or eradication of feral beings.

The first is to prevent feral beings from competing with farmed beings. It is a financial issue which makes it a political issue. It is a dubious reason from my viewpoint. I don't trust it.

The second is the environmental angle. Feral beings are destroying the environment and competing with inidgenous beings for food, as well as using them for food. It is becoming a poltical issue as an increasing number of elected and electable officials use the environmental platform.

I can't support number one and I don't trust those who promulgate it to be doing anything other than seeing dollars in there eyes.

I respect number two but I need to ask if there are other options. Some of the last wild bilbies in the world live at the Manly Quarantine station. There are other pockets of them in the wild but not many. They may be extinct soon. Human activity has devestated their numbers but feral beings have destroyed there food source as well as used them for food.

Do they have rights over the introduced {feral} species? I want to say yes bit am I right?

So I guess my question is: Does the situation exist ( I think number two does) Are there other ways to resolve it.

There is the prevention of reproduction for a feral animal organised by baiting them with the appropriate chemicals. Is that acceptable to prevent environmental degredation and species extinction? i can't think of any other way.

What are other opinions.

Antony
    Australia

Default Re: vegan attitude to Australia's 'feral animals'

Near where I live in South Australia there is a large sanctuary for Australian native animals. This is surrounded by a feral cat/fox proof fence. I think that the answer is to create more sancturies like these instead of undergoing the near impossible task of eradicating all of our feral animals in the wild.