Thread: Vegan Cruise Ship Food

Default Vegan Cruise Ship Food

with 2 threads about france going on, thought i would start mine now. vacation on the brain.

i am going on a cruise in january to mexico- cozumel, belieze and the grand camin islands (bahamas). this crusie is my grandparents christmas gift to their kid and grandkids. i am terrified. aside from my fear of cruise ships, i have emailed carnival cruises twice- about vegan food- and have not recieved a response. has anyone ever been on a cruise?? do they have vegan options?

it is such a wonderful gesture from my grandparents. they just want to spent time with all of us.

the only menu on their website is their formal dining one- steak, lobster, surf and turf, veal. not even a vegetarian option. i have been to mexico before and the hot sun just wears the hell out of you. i need energy!!!

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: has anyone been on a cruise??

I haven't been but have friends who have and also friends in the "industry" who basically say you can get all the fresh fruit you could ever want, raw vegetables, various breads, some plain rice and occasionally pasta and sauce.

Talking Re: has anyone been on a cruise??

yeah, ive done an alaskan cruise (for a wedding)on royal carribean line...where i ended up eating mostly what everyone else called side dishes....you know, fruit (non-organic, so i peeled all of it), veggies.. basically i just loaded up on english muffins in my bag every morning...ate all the fruit and veggies i could, brought a chunk o tofu to eat and chowed on the bar nuts. i felt great after a week because of my basically raw diet... plus all the dancing and swimming and yoga and pilates classes and spinning and walking around i felt graeat (other than the perpetual hangover )
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

thanks that helps me to be less terrified on the ship they do have some sort of spa area. maybe they offer yoga...maybe even healthy foods.

I glad this question/subject was brought up, I've been thinking of going on a cruise again (I had so much fun as a non-vegan!) but have been terrified (maybe that's a little dramatic). I dunno if I feel better or worse about the whole thing, but at least I have some info now.
    Peace Love Surf.

Yes I've been on a cruise, and as CC points out there's plenty of fruit & vegies to eat. However, here in Oz, many older people go on these cruises (I accompanied my mother at the time), and it is quite normal for two or three deaths to occur - not sure why, but it puts a pall on happy events!
    Eve

Gliondrach

I have been on a cruise, of sorts. It was when we came here from Malaya. It lasted about 4 weeks. The ship sank on the return journey but, contrary to rumours at the time, we had nothing to do with it. My father was found not guilty at his court marshal.

I heard if you call ahead of time and speak the person in charge of the food, they will accomdate you. I know of another vegan (from the internet) who gave the head chef easy chocolate recipes and easy meals to eat.

I have been on several cruises. I dont really care for them, you dont have a lot of time to spend at your destinations. I like to explore places and take my time. I went on a Disney cruise once by force and it was sooo cheezy. My drinks had Mickey mouse ears in them and the clubs were playing "Oh Mickey your so fine." I was ready to jump ship!
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Quote maya
    I have been on several cruises. I dont really care for them, you dont have a lot of time to spend at your destinations. I like to explore places and take my time. I went on a Disney cruise once by force and it was sooo cheezy. My drinks had Mickey mouse ears in them and the clubs were playing "Oh Mickey your so fine." I was ready to jump ship!
    OMG - that sounds awful!!! You poor thing.

Mophoto - Banana should be home from her cruise soon and should be able to give you some of the most recent info about this.

yogini

Quote maya
    lol
    thats hillarious!
    you shouldve leapt onto the dance floor and gone mad to it...shown em how its done! wouldve been a crack up!
    :rolleyes: Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, its a shrieking root vegetable! :D

I would have but there were people having seizures on the dance floor. I was scared!

Quote screamingcarrot
    lol
    thats hillarious!
    you shouldve leapt onto the dance floor and gone mad to it...shown em how its done! wouldve been a crack up!
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

I want to go on a vegan cruise!

We should all get together and book a vegan cruise.

Quote Roxy

Mophoto - Banana should be home from her cruise soon and should be able to give you some of the most recent info about this.
    that would be quite helpful, thanks

Quote eve
    Yes I've been on a cruise, and as CC points out there's plenty of fruit & vegies to eat. However, here in Oz, many older people go on these cruises (I accompanied my mother at the time), and it is quite normal for two or three deaths to occur - not sure why, but it puts a pall on happy events!
    shoddy medical care is also something i also fear on a cruise. hopefully no one will die on my ship, or pass on some plague, or get food poisoning. wow i sound like a real nut.

Quote Tigerlily
    I heard if you call ahead of time and speak the person in charge of the food, they will accomdate you. I know of another vegan (from the internet) who gave the head chef easy chocolate recipes and easy meals to eat.
    that's a good idea, hopefully they will respond to my e-mails and i can get in contact with someone who actually knows something.

Default Re: Vegan Cruise Ship Food

people dying on crusie ships!!!

my oh my, thats a scary thought!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Banana is back from her cruise - they were able to accomidate, but is was very frustrating. Just talk to the waiters and they are happy to help. I would recommend bringing snacks with you though. It is hard watching people guzzle down cookies and cake and ice cream and stuff while you sit there with a few chunks of pineapple! But cruising is fantastic and I highly recommend it. YAY!

Oh and someone did die on the cruise!!!

BANANAAAAA. yayyyyyyyyyy. im so happy youre back!!!

and oh my god, what happened? how did they die!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Heart attack I think!!!

yogini

probably from all that cake!
    :rolleyes: Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, its a shrieking root vegetable! :D

yay Banana! I hope you had a fabulous time on your vacation
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

I have been on two cruises, one with Princess and one with Royal Caribbean. Both catered for me amazingly, I was astounded. I had gone with little expectations, but once they found out I was vegan, they went out of their way to cater for me every single meal time. The maître d’s on both ships singled me out and could not have been more helpful. It got to a stage where they were even bringing my mother and I free bottles of wine, I don’t drink and neither does my mother, so we were always very popular with whoever else was sitting on our table. They really made me feel special, and everyone on the table, who had food from the main menu, was looking at my vegan delights in a most covetous fashion! I could basically just ask the chef to make me whatever I fancied, and I think they welcomed the chance to be a bit more adventurous in the kitchen! They went over and beyond the call of duty. Honestly, I can’t praise them enough! The only downside was that I could not so freely just help myself to the abundant food that was on offer 24 hours a day all the time, but I don’t suppose that is such a bad thing, as the majority of people on these cruises must have put on several stone as the end of the cruise drew near, and the constant gorging just sickens me. Strongly recommend, hope you have as good an experience as I did. Oh, and no one died that I know of, on either trip!
    Vegans go all the way.

i've often thought about this, and my parents are on a cruise as we speak. I just found this link which may be of interest
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Very interesting reading. Thank you, Mr.Flibble. Princess, which didn't score perfectly, whilst I guess not offering a vegan option on the menu, DID go out of their way to ensure I was catered for at every meal time, so while maybe it wasn't on the menu in the first place, at least they made up for it. Yes, it would be lovely if there were already vegan options in place, but then I guess maybe I'd have been restricted to what was on the menu, and this way, I got whatever my little heart (well, stomach) desired. And more!
    Vegans go all the way.

thanks mr. flibble

i am going on carnival- they got a vegan friendly rating. really puts my mind at ease. i am still going to bring some food just in case.

as long as i don't die.

glad to be of help (honestly it took about 10 seconds in google you lazy buggers ), although i'd contact them first. That link is a couple of years out of date and I never beleive anything i read on the interweb.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Talking Re: Vegan Cruise Ship Food

please done die mophoto!

that is sooo surprizing to me that people die on cruises...this makes me belive that they are not medically staffed as they should be...i dont know if im going to cruise again...

at least untill i look into this further.
    -henry miller

i shall try my hardest not to die. i am just freaked out about the lack of medical help.

i am very phobic about enclosed spaces and what i have realized it is not just about enclosed space but the lack of control i feel. everyone keeps telling me the ship is so giant i won't feel that way. we'll see. that's what beer is for i don't care how big the ship is, i still can't get off when i want to.

i am going on a road trip next week and i have no qualms. my friend and i are going shopping saturday and are going to pack a cooler of food for us. i do have a strange habit of looking out for those little hospital signs on the highway, just in case i need one i can tell my friends where i saw the last one! i feel so secure that i only live 2 blocks away from a small hospital. the irony is that i hate hospitals, but it's good to know were one is just in case. my cruise isn't for 3 months and i am alread freaking out. did i mention i have to fly to the port . eeeee. i am the biggest wimp

just got back from my cruise!! it was great being with 13 members of my family for a week ( i don't mean that sarcastically). as far as the food went... my travel agent told me i had to tell the maitre d that i was a vegan- i went to go talk to him and he seemed too busy. we only ate dinner in that dining room anyways. our waiter was helpful and usually brought me variations of the meals being served. the best night was when they had black bean and veggie enchiladas. i generally ate streamed veggies and rice. fruit for breakfast and for lunch the asain area usually had something i could eat. tempura one day- so good.

with all of the activity and non junk food eating i lost 5 pounds. yay! i never felt deprived. everyone else i went with gained at least a few pounds. cake for lunch and dinner. such excess. beer cost $5 a bottle that curbed my drinking!
    i even got over my fear of ocean fish. went snorkeling and didn't freak out.

but, i would caution anyone going on a carnival fun cruise that it can be very cheesy. vegas style shows, lame comedians, bingo, towel folding classes... the list goes on.

Glad you had fun! Welcome back!

Towel folding classes????

Quote Jacqui
    Glad you had fun! Welcome back!

Towel folding classes????
    thanks

the classed were not just regular towel folding but folding your towels into animals, like the stewards would do.. like in the shape of an elephant and they put your sunglasses on it. hahahaha too bad i couldn't make it