Thread: When dried fruits contain sulfur dioxide..

mango woman

Question When dried fruits contain sulfur dioxide..

i think that's what its called.. if not i apologize for my stupidity. it's something along those lines. but anyway, i generally stay away from anything that says that because, well, it just sounds unhealthy. Is it though? I looked it up a bit and they claim it is to retain color. Anyone know any info on this?

Talking Re: When dried fruits contain sulfur dioxide..

good topic

sulfur dioxide is used to preserve and avoid discoloration in dried fruit...

i avoid purchasing dried fruit with sulfur dioxide...

http://mattson.creighton.edu/SO2/SO2_Info.html

for the reasons on the above site.

mainly:

"F. Industrial Uses
    The vast majority of the sulfur produced in the world is converted to SO2 as the first step in the production of sulfuric acid.

Sulfur dioxide is used as a fungicide. It also has widespread toxic effects on microorganisms and is thus used to disinfect and preserve food and wine. Dried fruits are preserved with SO2 which prevents discoloration (browning) as well as preserves the fruit. Traces of SO2 can be noticed when smelling or eating dried fruit. "
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Default Re: When dried fruits contain sulfur dioxide..

God Topic, I agree.

I try and avoid sulfered dried frits like the plague for the same reason that I avoid sugar. They are poison for our bodies. One makes things look good, the other makes em taste good but they are both no-good.

good

Antony sulfurouslly sweet

mango woman

Quote jjdaiquiri
    Sulfur dioxide is used as a fungicide. It also has widespread toxic effects on microorganisms and is thus used to disinfect and preserve food and wine. Dried fruits are preserved with SO2 which prevents discoloration (browning) as well as preserves the fruit. Traces of SO2 can be noticed when smelling or eating dried fruit. "

Wow, that's really disgusting and scary [i'll admit it] that toxic chemicals such as SO2 are preservatives in our food..

Thanks for your replies! I just feel better knowing that whatever i'm currently chewing is composed of 100% natural ingredients that if desired, could be eaten seperately. You don't hear fast food chains asking "would you like some sulfur dioxide with that?"

so strange.. this world we live in.

Good sperm

Alot of health food shops now sell dried fruit that haven't used sulphur dioxide. You can usually spot them, it's the apricots that look brown instead of the 'perfect' orange that the preservative makes them. Plus it's added to ingredients lists on the back of dried fruit packs so you know it's there.

I actually bought some fruit (papaya, as there wasn't any fresh where I live) about a month ago that had it in it, not realizing. As soon as I ate a peice, it went in the trash because mostly it tasted like sulfur
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

ConsciousCuisine

I won't eat any sulfured or sprayed foods (YUCK!) as they are toxic and nasty.

If you have preservative treated dried fruit it is possible to get rid of much of the preservative by soaking for an hour or so before use, so it may not be necessary to throw it away if you discover you have a lot of treated fruit you suddenly decide you don't want to eat - or you could give it away to someone who doesn't mind.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know if it would get rid of enough of the taste to me, I seem to have REALLY sensitive tastes As far as giving it to someone, that's what my mom said when I told her about it ("why didn't you give it to me?"), but I felt like I didn't really want to give sulfur to anyone
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote vaderesque
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know if it would get rid of enough of the taste to me, I seem to have REALLY sensitive tastes
    I do kind of know what you mean - I make wine sometimes and use sodium metabisulphite to sterilise bottles and corks and things. If I get it on my hands I can't seem to get rid of the smell for ages, plus things like pickles containing it as a preservative become inedible to me for a long time because I'm reminded of that sharp, nose hurting experience of accidentally inhaling the fumes.

yikes! thanks for the info re. sulphur dioxide

i had a feeling sulphur dioxide was nasty stuff and don't buy dried fruit containing it. but that rules out dried apricots for me altogether because i can't stand the un-sulphured ones. i don't like the taste or texture at all (i wouldn't mind the brown colour if they tasted ok!)
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

ConsciousCuisine

Quote twinkle
    I do kind of know what you mean - I make wine sometimes and use sodium metabisulphite to sterilise bottles and corks and things. If I get it on my hands I can't seem to get rid of the smell for ages, plus things like pickles containing it as a preservative become inedible to me for a long time because I'm reminded of that sharp, nose hurting experience of accidentally inhaling the fumes.

Yikes!

Koolvedge

Sulfur Dioxide seems to cause an indigestion effect on the body also. I've observed people eating it and then some while after I see how it affects them. They themselves will say, "it was what I just ate". Not to mention the colors {yellow#5, red-40, ect.} that are known to cause specific problems. You're right! I can totally agree in staying away from the preservatives.

Dub Science

Quote Gorilla
    i had a feeling sulphur dioxide was nasty stuff and don't buy dried fruit containing it. but that rules out dried apricots for me altogether because i can't stand the un-sulphured ones. i don't like the taste or texture at all (i wouldn't mind the brown colour if they tasted ok!)
    I feel the opposite. After eating organic apricots without sulphur dioxide, I would never go back to the other ones. The organic ones were much sweeter and had better texture too. Maybe you should try a different brand? The ones I had were from a local organic farm.

I agree. The age of the apricots and how they were stored definitely affects their taste/texture when unsulfured.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

mango woman

I've realized that spices [in jars etc] can sometimes have a lot of weird stuff, including sulfur dioxide.

I don't buy them and I don't buy wines with sulphites either - apart form anything else they give me a hangover.....

Certain people are very allergic to sulfites, I am one of them. If ou have asthma or allergies you should try to stay away from them. Unfortunately they use sulfites a lot in salad bars to keep things looking fresh after they have been sitting around for a few hours.

do you know how the sulphite are added/used on the food in this type of situation ilovebunnies?

Cedarblue, I am not sure but I think it is usually sprayed on so if you are worried I would ask the restaurant you are going to if there are sulfites added, it is a common preservative.

Need some help and direction, please!

I love to eat dried fruit, apart from dried apricots. Can anybody help me with finding where I can buy unsulfured/unsulphured dried fruit, especially mixed fruit? I have found Barry Farm Foods, but they are based in the States and I was wondering if there was anywhere in the UK?
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Can you get Crazy Jack stuff? Also, as mentioned above, many wholefood shops sell unsulphured fruits.

I have avoided it for so long I can't remember the last time I bought (knowingly) something sulphured. Sulphuring is a pure marketing thing and nothing to do with food at all.

Some of the best apricots and dates I have tasted were organic - and some of the worst. That's what's great about organic, you know what you're getting; if you don't like it, try something else. A shop with a high stock turnover and amenable to customer feedback is ideal.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln