Thread: Stepping Up The Attack On Green Activists (US) (ignore the article, read the preface)

Free_Tibet

Default Stepping Up The Attack On Green Activists (US) (ignore the article, read the preface)

Dear friendsl,

Thanks for your responses.

I've edited the preface to the article link below due to the "shoot the messenger" response . I posted this article relating to a small portion of it to point out some freedom of speech issues which are being compromised each amd every day using "terrorism" as a means of silencing non violent dissent . I do not agree with violent action. So just ignore the article and take this as my meaning since it does not seem to be coming through. Obviously wrong article, but just to reiterate I'm not responsible for the article content . They are not my views, they are the views of the author.

I personally do not agree with violence as a way of pushing any issue. My point, is that it is apparent that governments are creating more and more laws under the guise of stopping "terrorism" to gain more control and destroy civil liberties and assist multinationals. They make laws based on the violent actions of a small non reprentative group of animal activist and then they extend and misuse those laws, little by little, to infringe on all animal activists groups (non violent) and eco groups. They do this because multinationals have the Government in their hip pocket.

Ironically, the same governments who make the terrorism laws, are the same governments who overthrow other governments violently, install dictators that will comply, and if they do not, they invade the country, economically imperialise their resources and call it "spreading freedom" and "wealth creation". It is the same governments who unethically trade with China that has an atrocious human and non human animal rights record and is fast becoming *the* economic power. This means any country that trades with China condones these violations. It means that non human animal rights will be of very little concern to most countries who are entangled in trade with China. Human rights violations will be overlooked as well; Tibetans and all the 250,000 or more people who are being tortured in Chinese "re-education" gulags.

The particular animal rights activists mentioned in the article who choose violence are an exception to the general animal rights movement that choose direct NON violent action. The US laws and probably soon to be Australian laws will be manipulated to quash *any* dissent from any NON VIOLENT animal rights group (non violent). Governments will stretch the law's meanings, make amendments and misuse them as they do with the terrorism laws already, eg detaining & deporting Scott Parkin, US peace activist recently.

Governments, particularly of late, have been misusing "terrorism" laws and creating paranoia as a means of dismantling democracy. In Australia recently Scott Parkin, a US peace activist was detained in Australia and then deported under the new terrorism laws. Animal welfare groups in Australia are being threatened with withdrawal of government funding if they have any anti-government campaigns eg RSPCA. The new "preventative" detention laws and the new workplace labour laws are just some of many ways to control. disempower, stop dissent and weaken what little is left of democracy, or the semblence of it. Free trade also weakens rights.

If I can digress for a moment to terrorism issues in general. The Australian government continues to deny that the upsurge of terrorism has anything to do with the illegal invasion of Iraq. Even blind Freddy can see that the more we are blindly following the US, the more we make ourselves a target. Also, the more we abandon the environment, human rights etc for greed and economic growth, trade at any cost etc we are all the poorer for it. One thing that seems to be missing entirely is any government questioning why terrorism is occuring or even considering talking to any groups. There is no attempt it would appear to me, to start some dialogue.

The US Governments, with lobbying from right wing anti animal rights groups like Committee for Consumer Freedom (CCF) is attempting to use those few activist's acts of violence to smear all groups, and to lobby to develop laws to encroach on all animal activists groups and reduce their power, particularly PETA. The US government assists multinationals also to circumvent animal welfare by moving industries to countries who have poor animal rights standards. Primate research will be moved to China's large primate research facilities because China has a lower standard of animal rights. Outsourcing of cruelty is common.

The use of "terrorism" in law is fast dismantling dissent in Australia and the US and is weakening the efficacy of social justice groups and non human animal rights activist groups who are trying to make change in a non violent legal way.

Here are a few quotes which are appropriate to the economic imperialists of the day:

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been murderers and tyrants, and for a time they can seem invincible. But in the end they always fall. Think of this always". -- Mahatma Gandhi

"In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us. - Thich Nhat Hanh

"Without debate, without criticism, no administration and no country can succeed and no republic can survive." John F. Kennedy

"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

"No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots." Barbara Ehrenreich

I hope that this makes more sense. Just ignore the article, and take this as my meaning from a small section of it.

cheers

-----------------------------------------------------------------

From AL NSW:
    STEPPING UP THE ATTACK ON GREEN ACTIVISTS (US)
    By Kelly Hearn, AlterNet

http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/26077/
    Last edited by Free_Tibet; Oct 6th, 2005 at 02:11 PM. Reason: ignore the article, read the preface

Default Re: Stepping Up The Attack On Green Activists (US)

Personally, I feel that when someone burns three SUVs at a car dealership, and when people do $110 million in property damage whether or not they have caused no deaths, and when 14 US states have introduced laws directly addressing eco-terrorism, surely it's time for the ALF, ELF, or others to re-think their activities. Did any of these activities help any animals in distress?
    Eve

cross barer

It just goes to show how much power that word 'terrorism' has. It conjures an attachment to fear so when it is used the vast majority of people lose all objectivity and these new laws are the result.

In fact, I believe these are only the beginning and the worst is yet to come.

fear of terrorism is widespread, having been deliberately nurtured by govts, but what is the greater danger to us in Australia is bird flu - sadly people don't give it another thought because so far the only ones suffering are the poor birds who are bundled, alive, into bags and thrown into pits for burning. Then there are 60 odd people but they are Asian, so why worry is the general consensus, there are probably more but we don't get ALL the news.
    Eve

Free_Tibet

Dear Eve & all,

Thanks for your responses. I've removed this article due to "shoot the messenger" response . I posted this article to point out some issues which do not seem to be coming through. Just to reiterate I'm not responsible for the content. If you knew me at all, you would realise they are not my views, they are the views of the author.

I personally do not agree with violence as a way of pushing an issue or attaining freedom for other beings. Although I can understand how people who have tried everything possible legally could end up becoming extremists, particularly when governments continue to oppress both human and non human animals but I do not condone violence personally. I could not imagine living in Iraq and having the kind of economic imperialism and invasion happening. How awful.

The particular animal rights activists who choose violence are an exception to the general animal rights movement. I mean they are an exception to animal rights activism which is usually direct NON violent activism. The US laws and probably soon to be Australian laws will be manipulated to quash *any* dissent from any NON VIOLENT animal rights group.

Governements lately have been using the word "terrorism" as a means of quashing dissent, non violent dissent. In Australia recently Scott Parkin, a US peace activist was detained and then deported. Animal welfare groups in Australia are being threatened with withdrawal of funding if they have any anti-government campaigns eg RSPCA. The new preventative detention laws and the new labour laws are just some of many ways to stop dissent and weaken democracy.

The US Governments, with lobbying from right wing anti animal rights group Committee for Consumer Freedom is attempting to use those few activist's acts of violence to develop laws to paint all animal activists groups with a similiar terrorist type brush and reduce their power.

It is yet more evidence of the fast dismantling of dissent in Australia and the US using terrorism to weaken those groups who are trying to change things in a legal sense and this applies to human rights or non human animal rights.

I hope that this makes more sense. Maybe, just ignore the article, and take these as the indicators.
    Last edited by Free_Tibet; Oct 6th, 2005 at 11:21 AM. Reason: to clarify my position

Well that's fine for you, but I really don't hold with exceptions, violence is violence to me, and is too far removed from the vegan compassionate and gentle way.
    Eve

Free_Tibet

Dear Eve

There are no exceptions in my view regarding violence .
    I do not advocate violence as a means of solving anything.
    Please read my post script header on the article.

What my concerns are, is the growing right wing move to
    dismantle dissent, non violence activist dissent, in regards
    to non human animal rights (and human rights). I do not
    to approve violent animal activist actions. There is widespread
    dismantling of dissent and freedom of speech regarding groups
    who are trying to create change in a legal manner.
    Maybe this is a bad example of this, but that was my intent

cheers

I agree with eve on this ocassion. You're talking about the madness of people being jailed for longer for lesser crimes than people who've comitted more serious crimes, which I agree is madness.

However, I have absolutely no sympathy what-so-ever for people who get themselves jailed by being criminals. I don't beleive that destroying property as a form of protest helps anyone, the main effect it has is a detremental one - making people think that activists are mindless thugs, which is really not something that I or those I associate myself with want to be branded as. Petty acts of vandalism and violence should have no part in a movement which is about premoting peace, good will and understanding.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote adam antichrist
    It just goes to show how much power that word 'terrorism' has.
    Most of all, it shows how much negative power terrorism has. Damaging buildings/cars is terrorism.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Gliondrach

If they are trying to introduce such draconian laws they must be scared. This seems to me to be the actions of those who are desperate to hide the truth from the people. And as for branding activists as terrorists, they should remember that George Washington was a terrorist along with all those who signed the Declaration of Independence. That's what they were to the Crown forces. Are they trying to gain suport for their cause by naming an act 'The Patriot Act'? Is that name designed to align them with the Founding Fathers. Some, or perhaps most, were hypocrites, mouthing sanctimonious tosh about all men being created equal, as their slaves toiled in their fields or worked in their houses. I wouldn't want to be that kind of patriot. The people campaigning now for animals and the environment are the heirs of those who fought for the emancipation of slaves. They were villified and abused, too. They are also the heirs of those who fought for independence from Britain.

I think that what Taliesson is trying to say is that the US government are using examples of eco-terrorism as an excuse to try and outlaw and prevent non -violent eco-activism. I don't think that anyone on this thread has advocated terrorism in any form, including the wilful damaging of buildings and cars.

However I do agree that the sentencing for these crimes is too harsh on the grounds that no people were injured or killed and it is hypocritical when you look at the crimes that the US have perpetrated in Iraq to take one example. This does not mean however that these activities should be condoned or go unpunished.
    Don't blame me for avian flu :(