Thread: Animal Rights in the UK

Talking Animal Rights in the UK

In today's UK Guardian there's an article that forms a guide to all the animal rights organisations in the UK, including The Vegan Society. http://www.guardian.co.uk/animalrigh...265928,00.html

Thanks for that eve. Theres some really interesting linked articles to this. Did you notice it descibed that vegans generally don't wear leather .

yeah thanks a lot for that. i also found the link to an article about an 'ethical lifestyle makeover' interesting too.

July 26 is the proposed date for the historic High Court challenge to Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott's decision to overrule his own Planning Inspector and grant Cambridge University permission to build a massive primate research centre on green belt land on the outskirts of the city.

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/news/2004/0406camb.htm

Ban on hunting with dogs delayed again in the UK. Full story here: http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/env...p?story=543745

Quote eve
    Ban on hunting with dogs delayed again in the UK. Full story here: http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/env...p?story=543745
    again ...

We should be revolted that animal experiments are necessary

Roy Hattersley
    Monday August 2, 2004
    The Guardian

No one who believes in democracy can possibly support the fire bombing of laboratories, physical assaults on research scientists and threats of violence against shareholders in biotechnology companies.
    But opposition to the way in which some "animal liberationists" behave and a willingness to make them respect the law should not obscure a basic truth about their cause. Experimenting on living animals - although sometimes necessary - is an activity that a civilised nation should find distasteful.

More

I certainly don't support the fire bombing of laboratories, physical assaults on research scientists, or threats of violence against shareholders in biotechnology companies. As vegans we are supposed to be peaceful people against violence, despite the abhorrence of experimenting on living beings. This is just my own personal opinion.

drummer

Can someone answer this question: are farrowing crates, veal crates and battery cages banned in the UK?

tails4wagging

No I am afriad not!!. This evil trade continues. Many of the animal rights campaigners continue to fight this evil farming practices. I have done leafletting and demos, againts farrowing crates.
    Battery farms are (supposed!) to be outlawed by 2012 (I think thats the date?). Many farmers are now running down their business of battery farms either because they are retiring or ahead of the ban. So every time we in AR hear of one closing down it is a urgent plea for help to get as many hens out as possible.
    Last year a friend helped get over 5oo out, the B---dy farmer would not let any more out, so over 3,500 went for slaughter.
    It is a mamouth task ringing around to find homes for these poor souls. There is many good hearted folks out there that will take them on, feathers or not.
    Some poor things dont even have feathers on them with very sore bums.
    The logistics of transporting them is hell, but it can be done.

PinkFluffyCloud

Default Home for Hens

Tails, hopefully I'll be moving soon, then you can definitely put my name down for some hens!!

How these people treat animals disgusts me.
    Eve

mango

I don't consider property damage to be violence. I think this distinction has become too blurred in the media - in fact new laws in the US may soon define as "terrorism" entering a facility when it is not open to the public...

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote mango
    I don't consider property damage to be violence. I think this distinction has become too blurred in the media - in fact new laws in the US may soon define as "terrorism" entering a facility when it is not open to the public...
    I agree, Mango, how can it be 'violence' against bricks and mortar - especially when the act is designed to prevent further violent acts commited within those buildings??

PinkFluffyCloud

................And how would you define 'terrorism'?
    My definition would be 'to terrorise' - i.e kill, maim, torture................i.e keep sentient being in cages and chains, and wilfully treat them as though they had no rights or feelings, before gassing, poisoning, electrocuting, shooting them, or slitting their throats.