Thread: Powdered Vegan Products

Default Powdered Vegan Products

Hello everyone!

I'll be camping/backpacking my way around Australia soon and will be stopping in all the major cities (from Sydney to Melbourne and Hobart, Adelaide to Perth, Darwin to Alice Springs, Cairns and back to Sydney).

To keep our pack weights down, we'll be taking powdered versions of as much as possible and I'm curious where (or if) I might find powdered soy milk and egg replacer (in the US it's called "Ener-G") in any of these locations (or places in between)? Are there particular name brands I should look for?

To remind me of home cooking, I'd also like to stock up on maple syrup (in spite of it's weight). Is that something I might readily find in super/healthfood markets, or should I pack my own supply?

Thanks so much for your recommendations!!

cross barer

Default Re: Powdered Vegan Products

Theres an egg replacer called "No-egg" by a company called Orgran that can be found in any major supermarket in Sydney Melbourne or Newcastle (and probably every other major city based on that list).

You can get powdered soy, I haven't sen it for a while but you should have no trouble. If when you are in Melbourne you stop by the office of Animal Liberation you can get dehydrated soy protein, tvp etc which would be good for travelling.

Maple is available everywhere, imitation maple is cheap but the real thing is very expensive ($9-10 for a smallish bottle). I use a brand called Greens maple flavoured syrup which is only about $3 and comes in a plastic bottle so its not so heavy.

Default Re: Powdered Vegan Products

Excellent news! Special thanks for the Melbourne shopping tip!!

Cheers,

KnittenK